This here's the stuff you absolutely need to read in order to play the game.
New to SotE? Overwhelmed by all the information and don't know where to start? Hey, that's understandable, and that's why this guide is here, to walk you through the joining process and help you familiarize yourself with the game.
First thing's first: you do not have to read everything in one go to play the game. So don't let that scare you off! This quick joining guide will outline what you need to read now in order to play and what you can save to peruse later as well as explain the joining process itself.
- The Rules
The guidelines and expectations for playing on SotE.
- Plot and Setting
Basic information about SotE's expansive world. You'll find an overview of SotE's setting there and information about each of SotE's main nations. The information about these nations can also be found in SotE's banner under the header "The World". You don't have to read about every nation in one go! Just read about the ones that you'll be playing in. You should, eventually, read about all the nations, but you don't need to do it all at once.
Information that you can browse and absorb at your leisure. You should read through it at some point, though, because it gives a way more detailed look at the world of the game, as well as loads of useful information.
PRO-TIP! If all the information is still overwhelming to you, make a character that is a wanderer! :3 They can be from a distant city/tribe/village of your own design, and that means that as they explore, absorb, and adjust to the setting, you can also take your time adjusting, too, while still RPing in it! However, we encourage characters who are from the different nations. It's a rich world, so use it!
Read through everything? Now you're ready to join! Joining is quick, easy, and stress-free, just how we like it. (:
- Playing A Leader
Interested in playing an official leader, such as the Queen of Serendipity or the Grand Duke of Connlaoth? Read this, then!
- Playing in a Medieval Setting
This is a rather important read. It explains how things work in SotE's medieval world and how things differ from our time. This is to ensure that all players are on the same page here.
- SotE Wiki
There's a lot of fun, extra stuff here! Everything from extra information about the settings to character information to RP-related articles. Feel free to contribute to the wiki! It's a living source of information.
- Group Threads
How group threads work on SotE!
So you've registered, introduced yourself, and joined your character. What now? It's a pretty big forum and there are a ton of threads going on! It's understandable if you feel lost of overwhelmed with no idea where to even begin!
- First, register an account on our forums. We're a one account per person game (though you can have multiple characters under that account) so please be sure to use a name that you want to be called, preferably one without numbers.
- Once you have a character in mind, head on over to out Character Directory. There you'll find the joining form. Just follow the instructions and you're ready to play!
- Introduce yourself! Say hi! Get to know the other members, snag yourself some plots, exchange IM information!
- Stop by the cbox! It's located at the bottom of the forum.
- Say hi in our Discord Chat. It's even more active than our cbox!
But fear not! There are things you can do!
You're ready to start playing so go forth and have fun!
- Head on over to the Plotting Center! Read other peoples' plot requests and see if there are any there that interest you and if there are, then answer them. If none suit you, then post your own plotting request and see who bites.
- Seek out open threads! Look around the board for any threads marked as "open", and check out our Master List of Open Threads. If you can't find any that suit you, then start your own! Pimp that baby out at the Plotting Center and make sure to add it to the Master List so that people have a higher chance of noticing it!
- Create a Character Catalogue to get your characters noticed. Check out other peoples' character catalogues and see if anyone has any characters you'd like to RP with. If they do, respond to their thread or shoot them a PM!
- Talk to people! Chat in the cbox and make friends! Check out peoples' profile information and see if they have any AIM or MSN contact info listed. If they do, grab them on IM. Talk to them and try and see if you can plot with them.
- If at first you don't succeed, try again! Be persistent and throw yourself out there! Don't wait for people to come to you; approach them yourself. No one bites. In fact, people tend to be flattered when you show an interest in their threads and characters.
If you have any ideas or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact staff!