Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where Rumors Grow [M] [Giraffe]

Started by Goldie, November 02, 2023, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Jelani tried to stop her from drinking the whole thing, but it was gone before the words could leave her mouth. This wasn't a normal but if alcohol, it was brewed specifically to knock out patients before a limb needed to be amputated. It was the strongest drink know to man as far as she knew and...

"Oh Hakeshna." Jelani took her good arm and threw it over her shoulder, "C'mon. You'll feel better now but...we'll deal with the after effects tomorrow..."

And she began the long trek back to their mounts. Hopefully it would take the night and not longer, but...it was going to be a hard walk.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

wandering_giraffe

Pyla stumbled when Jelani started guiding her.
"Fuck, this stuff could knock out a muuule...like that one," and she pointed vaguely in the direction of Zephyr, who looked offended. Zephyr followed them, flying slightly ahead of them, watching for any potential threats.
"Feel better?" She looked down at her stump.
"Huh...kinda feels better I guessss."
"The after effects? Am I gonna lose my other...hand?" Pyla grew worried, and stopped walking.
"I can't lose that hand too...how will I eat?

Goldie

Jelani kept a firm arm around Pyla, cursing their luck that she had decided to down the whole thing. Of course, walking while handling shock and pain wouldn't have been better at all. She just hoped that the woman wouldn't completely pass out; she'd certainly had enough that it wasn't outside of the realm of possibility.

"I'm spoon feed you." Jelani replied, exhaustion commanding her words and her steps, "Hold onto me. We have to keep going."

And they did.

It was long. It was arduous. It was more exhausting than anything she'd done in her entire life. And the stars continued to move across the sky marking the hours.

wandering_giraffe

Just put one foot in front of the other. Keep going. Gods, Pyla felt like shit, even with all of the alcohol in her system.
At least she wasn't in pain...honestly she rather felt like she was floating...in a weird...floating but still walking kind of way.
"I'm sorry," Pyla mumbled, almost somehow tripping over air.
"I shouldn't have stopped to help that guyyy," she muttered.

Goldie

Jelani couldn't help but stop in her tracks at that last comment. Her eyes swiveled to stare at Pyla in disbelief.

"I'm sorry. What?" She snapped, exhaustion wielding her tongue, "You did what?"

Surely she had misheard. Surely Pyla wasn't stupid enough to stop and help one of their attackers. Surely she had been trained better than that.

Surely.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla gestured vaguely at the ground.
"He was justtttt lying there. Had to make sure that, he wasn't dead. You know, help."
Then she made a vague punching motion with her fist.
"And then..." she trailed off, her eyes nervously looking at Jelani and then at her injured arm.
Man she felt so heavy. Her legs felt like lead, like she could hardly lift them to walk.

Goldie

"Pyla." Jelani snapped, knowing full well she probably wouldn't remember any of this in the morning, "You are a fool."

And then she grabbed her by the good arm and picking up the pace. The moon was high in the sky and they were losing cool hours. The sooner they were back with their camels the sooner they could be on their way home. The list with the Mtetezi names was burning a hole in her pocket as the women on it begged to be freed.

And the women who had been crossed off...Hakeshna guide them as they used the stars to navigate to a better life.

wandering_giraffe

"A fool?!!?" Pyla exclaimed, looking insulted.
"Yeah I guessss. Whatever you say. You're the boss," Pyla decided, attempting to walk faster and looking absolutely ridiculous.
"Why did I drink that? I mean, why did you drink that," Pyla corrected.
Then she looked confused.
"All I know is...somebody drank something...and I lost my hand...and camels."

They finally made it to their camels, and Pyla managed to walk over to one, hugging it.
"My tree...get your own tree," she said, glaring at Jelani and possessively guarding her "tree".

Goldie

"oh no you don't." Jelani peeled Pyla's arms from the creature, careful not to touch or disturb the stump. It was surprising after all these hours that Pyla remained intoxicated, but perhaps it was a combination of the alcohol and the blood loss that had surely come after the amputation. Even if they had moved at lightening speed to cauterize the wound the major arteries would have released her precious life blood; fed the sand.

She was exhausted. It took all of her strength to keep her eyes open, but they couldn't stop. They had another day's journey ahead of them and still a few hours night before the dawn began to break. With strength she didn't know she had, Jelani hoisted Pyla up onto her personal mount and then began lashing the two together so the second could be lead. Then she proceeded to tie Pyla's torso and legs to the saddle – it would help keep her still and it would aid if either of them should fall asleep and attempt to fall.

Then she pulled herself up behind her sister, still seething that she had been so stupid to approach a prone figure in the desert after they had just been attacked, tied herself to the saddle as a precaution, and kicked her mount gentle to urge him to move.

They were on their way.

The steady rocking of the beast lulled her and she felt her eyes dip closed.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla woke up with a start, disoriented and in pain. She couldn't move...did she get kidnapped again?
"Fuck not again..." she took deep breaths to try to calm herself.
She felt like she was enveloped in sand.
She couldn't breathe.
Searing pain. Her whole arm was throbbing.
"J-Jelani..." oh please let it be Jelani...she just wanted this nightmare to end.
Her whole body was straining with exertion, she was starting to panic.

Goldie

Jelani could be called many things – strict, overbearing, serious, meticulous – but one thing she could never be accused of is being ill-prepared. This was one of those moments that her own hyperattention to details saved them both. Somewhere along the journey her eyes had slipped closed and she fell asleep on top of their mounts. Thankfully, the lashings she had placed to keep both her and Pyla save had done their job well.

When Pyla woke and started to panic, the leader of the Mtetezi jolted awake and blearily glanced around for a moment before realizing where they were and what had happened. She cursed, quite loudly, at herself and then wrapped her hands protectively around Pyla while making soothing noises to try and calm her.

"Breathe with me. You are safe." She murmured, letting one hand run through Pyla's hair and around her ear much like a mother might do to a frightened child – but she wasn't being condescending. Jelani knew how to handle people in crisis and Pyla? Well, she was in a massive crisis and would be for some time.

The sun was starting to rise steadily on the horizon, and a quick look at the fading stars showed they had veered off course. Hopefully it wouldn't make the return journey too long, but it was hard to say for certain how long they had managed to stray from the road home.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla's panic was interrupted by the soothing voice of Jelani, helping her calm down.
She was safe. It took her awhile to calm down nevertheless.
"I failed...Jelani I failed! I'm so sorry." Pyla shifted alittle and hissed in pain as her brain reminded her about her arm.
"How far away are we?" Jelani asked quietly. To her, this mission had been a failure, and she, once she had her full strength back, was considering resigning. 
"I'm sorry I put you in so much danger."
The stars indicated that they were off course a bit.

Goldie

"I'm not sure." She replied, continuing to look at the sky as she turned back in the correct direction. Once the sun was up, they'd lose their more accurate directions and have to rely solely on the sun's placement which, while better than nothing, could still place them miles away from their actual destination. It wasn't as if the desert had discerning sand dunes to mark their passage.

And the Mtetezi did not place markers that would lead others to their home. Everything was shrouded and it wasn't unusual for expeditions to take a few extra days because warriors and traders in the community misread directions.

She didn't reply to Pyla's comments about failing. She didn't reply because she wasn't going to lie to the woman, and also because they had both failed. Pyla from stupidity in the moment, but Jelani from lack of preparation. And her sins were far worse. Her failures had cost Pyla her hand.

A quick measuring of the fading stars with her hand gave her a more accurate idea of where they were, and she shifted the camels once more.

"We won't make it home today." She concluded, "But there should be a village to the west that we can reach in an hour. We'll head there and rest. Maybe find a healer who can help in the interim. Rest. Lean on me. You're safe now."

Gods she hoped there wasn't infection. The bloodloss hadn't killed her, but infection was far more likely than Jelani wanted to think about.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla was beginning to get a pounding headache. Probably from what she drank earlier.
And the pain had returned in droves. It was only getting worse. Pyla shivered. When did she start shivering? It did feel cold...at least to her.

She did as Jelani said and leaned on Jelani.
"That guy that I stopped to help...well...he was lying face first on the ground and I got worried it was you...I admit it was stupid of me."
Pyla fell silent after that, watching some dark cumulonimbus clouds that were hanging over the horizon.

Goldie

Jelani was tired. No, not tired, that wasn't a word even close to the pure bone weariness she was feeling. She had no energy left, nothing except for the sheer knowledge that if they stopped now, they would die before the sun reached its peak. Pyla needed medical attention and Jelani? She was fully intact, sure, but the amount of energy she had used to control the sands had nearly destroyed her. Even now her eyes could barely focus and her fingertips had been numb for some time.

She didn't have the energy to reprimand Pyla. She didn't even have the energy to think about being annoyed or angry. Perhaps tomorrow, or the next day, but now she could only bring herself to focus on one thing: survival.

So she said nothing. No reply, no response, just let Pyla's words fall into silence and be eaten by the desert.

And they rode on.

The sun rose higher in the sky and just as it began to get hot and she pulled her cloak up and over her head, the outlines of the village she had mentioned came into view. They were almost there. Thank the Gods. Thank the Stars. They would have rest tonight.

She pushed her heels into the camel's hindquarters to spur him onwards and a blink or two later they had reached the edges of the community. That must have meant that she had faded out of consciousness for a time as it would have taken at least twenty minutes ride to cross that distance.

Then people were surrounding them, asking questions, staring wild-eyed at the stump where Pyla's hand used to be.

"Healer." Jelani croaked, realizing that she must have been severely dehydrated for her tongue to feel so rough in her head, "and Lodgings. Please."

And then she remembered nothing except the feel of gentle hands lowering her from their mount and carting them off to...somewhere else.

When she woke, she was indoors in a room by herself. A pitcher of water and a cup had been left on the table to her right and she had been changed into a loose cotton robe. The slash on her arm had been bandaged and the small scrapes and cuts from their ordeal had been treated. Overall she felt better. Not great, but better.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla remembered seeing a faint outline in the distance before she passed out. The next thing she knew, she was lying on her back on a comfortable surface, her injured arm bandaged, and surprisingly, she wasn't in pain for the moment. Someone was standing next to her, saying sentences. But she couldn't make sense of them.
The word "infection" she was able to unravel from what the people in the room were saying.
A knot formed in her stomach, like panic waiting to explode. She was safe, wasn't she? These people had helped her. But how had she gotten here? Where was Jelani? Was Jelani safe?
Pyla worriedly tried to sit up, panic on her face, and a gentle hand pushed her down.
"You need to rest."
Pyla did not want to do that. Not at all. What if Jelani was dead?
She managed to yell for Jelani before she passed out again.

Goldie

Jelani sat up with a groan and pushed herself to a seated position with her back resting against the bed's headboard. Every part of her ached like she had been beaten within an inch of death and her head ached so badly it was like it had been cracked open with an axe.

But she was alive. More than alive, it would seem, she was taken care of. Her injuries were bandaged, and it didn't take her long before she was reaching for the water pitcher and pouring water into a glass. It was possibly the most refreshing thing she had every tasted in her entire life. It didn't matter that it was luke warm and probably hours old at this point – it was refreshing and perfect and everything that she could have hoped for.

Two cups later she had the strength and the resolve to put her feet over the edge of the bed and onto the floor. It was cool to the touch, though even the soles of her feet ached when she put any pressure on them. Her magics had taken their tole and she knew it would be weeks before she was back to full strength. Weeks that they didn't have. Weeks that meant more and more of her sisters would be sacrificed to whatever evil had abducted them.

The names on that list were burned into her memory. She didn't need the paper to know who was on it, what colors they were written in, nor which ones had been viciously crossed out in black ink.

They would be avenged. She would make sure of it. They would train harder. They would prevail and liberate them.

But that was a challenge for tomorrow because at that exact moment, Pyla's panicked voice rang through the halls and Jelani jolted to her feet.

Too fast.

She stumbled into the wall before finding her balance and began the excruciating hobble into the hallway and to the door directly to her left.

"Pyla?" her words were hoarse as she opened the door to a few people bustling around Pyla who seemed to be out again after her initial cries. Normally, Jelani might be on alert, but based on her own healings she doubted that whoever was taking care of them meant them any harm. At least not at this moment.

"Is she ok?" she croaked as the women looked up to see her standing in the doorway.

"Ah! You're awake! Good." Then she glanced back at Pyla with a sad frown, "She is surviving." The woman muttered quickly, tutting a few times after looking at the stump where Pyla's hand used to be, "You two have been through a lot."

"Slavers." Jelani said softly and her words were greeted by a sad sigh of understanding.

"They're getting bold. Brazen. The desert is overrun. No one is safe, especially women. You were alone, where is the rest of your caravan?"

Jelani paused for a moment, weighing how much truth she wanted to present to this woman and ultimately deciding that discretion would be in their best interest. Most of the people around Essryn would not support women being so blatantly masculine and outside of their societal scope as women.

So she shook her head slowly and cast her eyes down. The woman would take it to mean they were dead, or taken, but she wouldn't have to actually say any lies.

And sure enough, a motherly arm was soon wrapped around her.

"Let's get you some food, yes?"

"I'd like to eat it here...for when she wakes again...if that's alright?"

It was more than alright. The moment the words left her mouth a chair was pulled up and she was gently lead to it where she could sit beside Pyla. A warm cup of tea was placed on the beside table within her reach and soon a spread of fruit and crusty bread were placed there. Despite everything, Jelani found she wasn't terribly hungry and sipped slowly at the tea and gnawed on the bread so not to be rude.

And she waited.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla woke up to someone sitting by her bedside. She concentrated on getting her eyes to focus.
"Jelani?" Pyla weakly reached out a hand to Jelani.
"The slavers...are they gone?" Pyla asked, her eyes worriedly looking around the room.

Goldie

Jelani was dozing again by the time Pyla woke and jolted awake as someone touched her hand. Her first reaction was to pull her hand back defensively, but quickly realized where she was and what was happening and returned to wrap her fingers gently around her sister's good hand.

"Yes. You're safe now and cared for."

She reached towards the bedside table and poured a glass of water before offering it to her sister in arms.

"Drink. It's been a few days at least, but I was not awake for all of it so I can't be sure. There are some dried fruits as well, when you're ready."

wandering_giraffe

Pyla seemed to relax, slowly taking the cup of water offered to her and carefully sipping it. 
"I can't eat." Pyla said flatly.
"Not when I know our sisters are still out there. Not when...not when I know they could be suffering the same fate as me. And worse."
There was a ruckus outside of the room, and Zephyr flew into their room, a piece of paper in his claws and landed on the bed Pyla was lying in. A concerned woman followed and apologized, and she tried to shoo Zephyr back outside.
"He-he can stay," Pyla said, discreetly managing to get the piece of paper from Zephyr.
The lady left, albeit a bit suspiciously.
Pyla took a look at the paper.
It had more names. More of their sisters. Except on this one, Pyla's and Jelani's names were on it.
Most of the names were crossed out.

Pyla handed the paper to Jelani, an ashen look on her face.