Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Home, Smelly Home. [M] [Glob!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 17, 2015, 01:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Huh."

Mei shot a look at Daersen, eyebrow raised. "Why would they think that?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Like I said, I don't know," Daersen said.

"Things like bugs, pests or scavengers don't have an issue with me. But bigger animals like cats, dogs, and even horses tend to just want to steer clear of me. I think it's sorta linked with my other power."

Rhindeer

Mei blinked. "Your other power?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"I..."

Daersen's hands tightened a bit, and for the first time, he looked nervous around her.

"... I can decay things. Plants, stone, even metal. If I focus really hard, and can touch it... yeah."

He winced a bit, as if worried she'd turn him away for this knowledge.

Rhindeer

"ENTROPYMANCY!" Mei blurted out with a snap of her fingers, her face bright and eyes shining.

She clapped her hands together and beamed up at him, rocking on her heels. "You're an entropymancer! Very interesting! That was a skill I thought exclusive to Thanati! In fact, I haven't encountered anyone with the gift since leaving home! How very fascinating! Are you aware of how valuable a skill that is? That entropymancy, in the very talented, can even be honed to affect luck? Oh, I must take note of this, pardon me!"

And she pulled out her book, flipped to an already full page, and jotted down a quick note. "How much of your lineage do you know? Do you have a Thanati ancestor perchance? Or does your blood run Serenian all the way through?"

DaGlobster

Daersen jumped at Mei's sudden eagerness, and he stammered some nonsense words out in between Mei's excited speaking.

Once she quieted down, he snapped out of his surprise and found his tongue.

"Uhh, no Thanati, no. Serenian through and through," Daersen said. He met Mei's eyes.

"Nobody in my family's ever been a mage, though. As far as I know, I'm the first."

Rhindeer

"Interesting, interesting..." Mei murmured, and she scribbled more furiously in the margins of the page. "First in the line to possess magical talent, no Thanati ancestry, pure Serenian. Very interesting! That's not unheard of either, of course. A bloodline can go generations and generations before suddenly producing a mage, which begs the question of what is magic, anyway? How is it even inherited? Is it blood? Is it nature? What? One of the great mysteries of the world, I suppose! Personally, I hypothesize that it's some combination of both. Either way--"

She clapped Daersen on the shoulder. "You have a rare gift in these parts! Congratulations!"

DaGlobster

Daersen just looked at her.

"Uh... thanks," he said, and he smiled at her. He put his arm around her waist as they walked.

"I can't actually do other magic, though. I mean, I wish I could cast some spells."

Rhindeer

"That's okay! With a gift like that, you don't need other magic. Magic like that is powerful enough! Inima!"

Mei looked up at him as they walked, peering up into his face. "You have no idea how special a gift you have, do you?"

DaGlobster

"Uh, no," Daersen said.

"Well, I mean I do, but you seem to know more about this stuff than I do, so why don't you tell me?"

Rhindeer

"It's just a reallyreallyreally valuable gift!" Mei said, expression shocked. She couldn't believe he didn't know this! "You can influence luck! Chance! You could make a killing gambling, for one! Or just in general turn the tides in your favor in a sticky situation, if you learned how to tap into it. It's all about decay, but the decay of probability! So you just have to figure out how to channel that and work it in your favor!"

She shook her head, still beaming. "Now, don't ask me how to do that. I'm a scholar, not a mage, and while I know plenty of magical theory, I'm afraid I couldn't really teach you about its application. That's best left to an actual mage. But I do know that, were you in Thanatos, your ability would be one highly sought after, and there would be a number of teachers around happy to snap you up."

DaGlobster

"Gambling?"

Daersen looked puzzled. He'd applied his gift in several minor cases, whether it was to slightly spoil food in order to cultivate a population of rats to keep his home safe or to leave marks in the sewer walls for navigational purposes.

But to influence luck itself?

"Yeah, that all sounds like super advanced stuff. Don't think I'd ever learn it on my own..."

Rhindeer

"Well, if you stick around me long enough, perhaps you can come to Thanatos with me!" Mei said with a smile and a nod. "There are tons of teachers there. Granted, you're foreign and pasty so you'll stand out like a sore thumb, but I'm sure once they know your talents they can forgive you those flaws! I could recommend you to several right off the top of my head, and I know you'd be in great hands there!"

DaGlobster

"I'll have you know that I have very good complexion for a sewer dweller," Daersen teased. He looked like he was going to say something else, but then he spotted a clothing store.

"Give me a moment," he said, and he left her standing there as he walked into the store.

He was gone for around six or eight minutes when he returned, wearing a moderately well-crafted pair of pants, cloth shirt, and animal hide overcoat to protect from the elements.

"How do I look?"

Rhindeer

He looked...monumentally better. The bath had cleaned him up until his skin was squeaky and polished, his hair shining rather than greasy, and without clothes he had been rather handsome. The ratty clothes diminished that some, but with a fresh set of clean, untattered clothes...

He looked, frankly, great.

Mei's eyebrows rose and she took a step closer, walking a circle around him as she examined him. She plucked at his coat. "You look fantastic," she said honestly, and smiled up at him. "Like a commoner rather than a beggar!"

DaGlobster

"Wow, I look like a commoner?" Daersen said, voice high with teasing surprise.

"Such high praise. You'll make me blush, Mei," he said, and he put his hands on her hips. After a few moments consideration, he leaned in to leave a kiss on her lips. He motioned to the road.

"Shall we?"

Rhindeer

Mei grinned at that, snickering to herself, and linked her arm with his. "Just teasing. You look great! The hide is a fantastic touch. What kind of animal was that? It has a nice pattern. Anyway, lead the way, sir! You know these parts, I'm just the learner."

DaGlobster

"Alright, come along," Daersen started, and he gave Mei's back a pat as he started walking down the road.

"Thunderblacks're quite the ways from here. You got money for supplies? I think we're alright for now, but we're going to have to resupply a few times along the way. Not to mention we might have to trek up the mountains..."

Rhindeer

Oh. Money. Supplies. That was indeed a thing.

With a small frown, Mei opened her bag and peeked inside at her meager rations. It wasn't much; just enough to snack on while she wandered around the city, and she had planned to be in Arca for a good week or two, exploring the sights, maybe visiting the mage's college and seeing if they would let her tour it, and most importantly: doing odd jobs to earn enough money to travel to her next destination. She definitely wasn't prepared for an expedition in the mountains, and she'd used up a great deal of her coin getting to Arca. More than she'd anticipated, actually.

She counted out her coins. "I have...enough for a few nights in an inn, and meals to go with it, I think," she said. "I'd planned on working to earn more. I hadn't planned on a mountain trip, after all! And I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the conversion rates here, and how much things cost. I have Serenian money, but...I've mostly been showing merchants what I have and letting them figure it out for me."

Which, unbeknownst to her, meant that many a merchant had been taking more than the cost of their service from her, preying on her ignorance. She probably should have figured the math and conversion rates out for herself long ago, but math had never been a subject of interest for her, especially when there were more interesting things to focus on!

She lifted her coin purse from her bag and opened it for him to see. "What do you think?"

DaGlobster

Daersen took the coin purse, weighing it in his hand before he opened it to look inside. It didn't seem all that heavier than his own coin purse, which didn't reflect too positively on Mei's situation.

"You'd be right. If we stick to single-room inns and only grab the necessities, this should keep us afloat for a week or so. But it's a few day's trek to the next town over."

He stepped closer to her and gave her a lopsided smile as he put her coin purse back onto her belt. He put a hand on her hip.

"But with the little money that I've saved up, maybe we can get as far as Adela, where the Thunderblacks are."

Tags: