Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Quest for the Celestial Aegis (@Nightcrawler)

Started by wandering_giraffe, September 08, 2023, 01:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

If Elara had any hint of mischievousness in her eyes at all, it was gone now, replaced by deadly serious eyes that met his.
"Do I look like I'm messing around?" She asked, her voice deadly calm.
"Do ye think I have time to somehow rig a map? Do I look like a mage to you? Hell, I didn't even know your name until the damn map showed you."
Elara took a step forward, one hand in her coat pocket. If this guy wanted a fight, she'll give him a fight. She always enjoyed a good brawl.
"Do you need me to hold the cigar for you?"

Nightcrawler

His ears rang. He didn't hear anything the woman said. There was a black tunnel, and he was down it, and the anger anchored him there in its twisting center. She was lying. They both were. They'd made a cheap, shitty joke, and thought it was funny. They'd been taking the piss all along. Acting like he was dying when he wasn't. He wasn't dying. He wasn't dying. Well. He'd show them. Wouldn't he?

"Do you need me to hold the cigar for you?" the woman asked.

"Nah," Fletch replied. He spat the still-lit butt on the floor. He sniffed. Wiped his face with his hand.

He drew his neck back and aimed a headbutt right for her nose.

wandering_giraffe

Elara saw that coming. She was captain on a pirate ship after all. She had been apart of, and even started, her fair share of brawls. And the guys always went for the headbutts. Always.
She sighed, just as he headbutted her. He got her right on the nose. It dazed her for all of two seconds before she put him in a headlock, flipping him over and slamming him through a table, the table cracking in half.
"What, are ye gonna start fights every time the truth rears its ugly head at ye, ya bilgerat?"
Fenris came rushing out of the back just then, drying her hands on her shirt.
"I was washing dishes and I couldn't come immediately—-Gods dash it all Elara, you broke my favorite table."

Nightcrawler

WHAM. Fletch saw sparks as the table broke around his aching ribcage. Before he'd known it, the woman had flipped him around and forced him to the floor. Now there were splinters everywhere: in the palms of his hands, and down his shirt, and digging into his cheek as she pressed him into the table like a dog who'd shat on a rug. To his own surprise, he started to laugh. "You know," he wheezed, "normally I'm not keen on a woman in charge, but — " Then the coughing started again, and too much blood spattered across the wood. He stopped laughing. He stopped smiling. His vision focused and blurred, focused and blurred again. "Fuck," he said at last, and every tense and thrumming fiber of him sunk in defeat. Somewhere to his right, Dog Lady bitched and moaned about her fucking table. Well, that wasn't his problem. His problem...was that the two of them had told him the truth. He closed his eyes and hoped to hell that neither of them saw the tears that squeezed between his lashes.

"Okay," he rasped. "Alright. You're..." He swallowed. "You're right. Okay? You're right. The both of you. Just...let me up."

wandering_giraffe

Elara internally was worried she'd been too harsh on him. If what Fenris and the damn map had said about Fletch had been true, then she possibly hurt him even more.
Carefully, she helped Fletch up and helped sit him down into a chair. She raised an eyebrow at him.
"Well I hope you learned your lesson."
She reached into her coat pocket and grabbed a handkerchief, handing it to him.
What Fenris had said had just sunk in.
"Your favorite table? They all look the same to me."
Fenris just shook her head.
"Ya know what? It doesn't matter."
She sighed, looking at Fletch.
"Some of those splinters look really deep."
Then she stopped, deciding against offering her help. Fletch had already turned it down so much, she just rather would not bother at this point.
Elara looked longingly at the wall behind the bar, looking at the various bottles of wine.
"I'm not normally a wine drinker, but I'm feeling like I could use some."
Fenris snorted.
"You're lucky I haven't thrown you out for breaking my favorite table."
"I'd like to see you try to throw me out," Elara scoffed.

Nightcrawler

The captain hoisted him out of the pile of splintered table. "Hey, wh — " he started to protest, but before he knew it he'd been sat down and handed a hankie. He wrinkled his nose at it. He hoped it didn't have snot on it already. "Well I hope you learned your lesson," she said. Fletch inspected the hankie for smears of green or brown, and, finding none, used it to wipe the blood from his lips. His ribs stung. His head pounded, too. Was it from whacking her on the nose, or had he always felt this terrible?

"Nah," he coughed. "Never do."

The women bickered about some nonsense. It had been Dog Lady's favorite table. So what? It was a fucking table. He was going to die, and they were prattling on about furniture. He glanced down at the cigarette he'd dropped. In the scuffle, someone had crushed it with their bootheel, and crumbles of tobacco had strewn across the floor. It was ruined. A perfectly good fag. He grumbled, pulled another one out, and lit it up. He sighed and began to rub his bruised, beaten face.

"Some of those splinters look really deep."

Fletch jumped in his chair and glowered up at Dog Lady. Then he looked down at his arms. She was right. There were some nasty ones, and regent only knew what kind of filth was on that table. It wouldn't be the first time he'd have to pull some kind of shrapnel out of himself. Was it even worth it if he was about to die? He grunted. "Mmh. Yep. Looks like. You got tweezers on you by any chance? And something strong, like grain spirit?" He decided that he didn't particularly care if she did, or if he could get the splinters out. But he'd work on it anyway.

"Not for drinking," he added. Then: "Erm. So. This map. The, er...artifact. What's the plan?"

wandering_giraffe

Fenris got up and went behind the bar, looking for the strongest spirits she could find. While she was rifling through the shelves, Elara studied the map.
"Damn thing has a mind of it's own."
She smoothed the black, shiny paper out on the table, praying it wouldn't show some weird message again.
The clinking of bottles could be heard in the background as Fenris set out two bottles of grain alcohol, then went back to rummaging through the rest.

"Well, the plan is to figure out where in Le'raana this artifact is—"
The map shone with a strange black light, projecting a perfectly clear city in a desert somewhere.
Elara leaned back in her chair, thinking. Just as she was about to say something, the city crumbled, a huge dust cloud covering the city. The dust dissipated, leaving behind a city in ruins.
"...and find it," Elara finished.
"Of all the goddamn places, it had to be Essyrn..."
Fenris turned around, a shot glass in hand and precariously somehow balancing a vial and two bottles of grain alcohol.
"You're coming with us right, Elara?"
Elara laughed.
"Me, a pirate captain? Leave my bloody crew to go after some blasted artifact in the middle of the sun scorched god forsaken desert? With you and...death stick guy over here? No no no, I've had my share of magical artifacts trying to kill me. I'm good. That's why I brought it you."
Fenris sighed, setting down all of the stuff she had balanced, and pouring a tiny bit of both grain alcohols into the shot glass. She set it down in front of Fletch. "I don't care if you said it wasn't for drinking. You need to drink it."
Fenris grabbed tweezers out of her pocket and sat down, dipping the tweezers in a vial full of opaque liquid.
"Let me see your arm, Fletch."

Nightcrawler

"Of all the goddamn places, it had to be Essyrn..."

Fletcher had heard enough about this horrible world by now to know that Essyrn was the far-flung sandy arsehole of it all. Hadn't he gone south enough? Now he had to go more south? And over some bloody mountains, too, if he remembered right. He groaned. He'd hoped he was close. Now...

"Three weeks even enough time to get there?" he muttered, eyeing the captain — and her map — rather skeptically. "Probably just snuff it on the fucking road at this rate." Dog Lady set the bottle of grain spirit in front of him while the two women prattled on. He paid as much attention to them as a man could when considering his massive hangover, the bits of table stuck in his arm, and...oh, yeah, the news of his own impending death. But he did sit up a bit straighter when he caught wind of some unfortunate news. Captain Elara would be leaving them and heading back to her ship. It was just Fletch and Dog Lady. He pulled a face at the thought of listening to her unsolicited sob stories with no one else to lighten the mood. Shame. He'd have to find the captain once this whole map affair was done with. See if she wanted a...rematch.

Like he'd told her: normally he wasn't keen on a woman in charge. But...

Then Dog Lady sat down and set a shot of neat grain spirit in front of him, and he shook the thought from his mind. His stomach churned at the sight of more booze. Three weeks. Three weeks left. Would he piss it away? Was that really how he'd spend his last days? Well...no. Not exactly. But maybe he'd take the edge off. Just this once. Not with the whole bloody shot, though. Didn't the woman know you were supposed to cut grain spirit with water? What kind of bartender was she, exactly? He lifted it, examined it, shrugged, and took a sinus-clearing, eye-watering sip.

He sniffed and chuckled rather bleakly. "Little hair of the dog, ey? Er...no offense meant or...whatever."

Dog Lady held up her tweezers. "Let me see your arm, Fletch."

Fletch eyed her for a moment, then shrugged and slid his sleeve up further, revealing a patchwork of tattoos both new and old. Funny. He couldn't remember where he'd gotten them. He remembered the needle, but...not the place. "Erm. Thanks," he grunted at her, and watched her work.

wandering_giraffe

Fenris took the tweezers and meticulously began pulling the splinters out of his arm.
Elara, meanwhile, had just finished off two glasses of rum. She was precariously balancing on her chair, watching Fenris work.
"Be gentle with the poor guy!" She exclaimed after Fenris yanked out one particular splinter of wood that was in rather deep.
"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough," Fenris said.
Fenris had finished getting most of them out, and paused to dip the tweezers in the vial again.
Elara studied the map, which was blank again.
"If I went with you...what's in it for me?"
Elara was still chasing profit, and even though this map intrigued her, she hesitated.
Fenris finished getting the splinters out, and deftly wrapped his arm with a bandage.
"What's in it for you is you get to see me—-how did you get that rum?" Fenris asked incredulously.
"I got up and poured myself some, obviously." Elara's chair was dangerously close to tipping over.
"No, but I'm serious. What's in it for me?"
Fenris mischievously smiled.
"Does a Connlaothian pistol mean anything to you?"
That got Elara's attention. Her chair leveled on the floor again, and Elara leaned forward, suspiciously studying Fenris.
"How do you know about those?"
Fenris laughed.
"I collect artifacts, of course I've heard about them...and I may or may not have one? Somewhere...I haven't checked my stash in a while."
Elara folded her arms.
"You're kidding. How did you get your hands on one of those...?"
Fenris deviously smiled, her canines flashing in the candlelight.
"How I got it doesn't matter. Are you in or not?"
Elara groaned, putting her head in her hands.
"What am I doing what am I doing?" She muttered to herself.
"Fine. I'll go with you and fetch...whatever his name is. On one condition. We use my ship to get there. At least some of the way. It's better than walking."
Fenris thought about that for all of two seconds.
"Deal."

Nightcrawler

"Be gentle with the poor guy!" the captain said. Now it was her turn to toss the drinks back. Breakfast of bloody champions, Fletcher thought as he watched her out of the corner of his eye. She was an odd one. Familiar — she spoke the sailor's tongue of drinking and cursing and fighting, after all. But still. Odd. A Captain should be tough. He should be downright brutal when it was called for. But this Elara...yeah, she could fight, but she almost had a soft side, too. Well. Maybe that was why he hadn't seen many female captains. Maybe they were a bit too sentimental for the job. A bit too...emotional.

"Oh, aye, and who put the damned splinters in me? Hmm? The Queen of fucking Seren-tittadee?" Fletch snorted as he stood and tested his bandaged arm. He tutted. "Almost cut me up worse than that bloody stray cat." But Dog Lady and the captain were too busy with their banter to hear him, so he dug around in his pockets, fishing for yet another smoke, and he listened. His fingers brushed the case. He heard a very familiar word. His ears perked. He froze.

Pistol, Dog Lady had said. And all at once, like a curtain drawn, the light of that word shone on one very...particular...memory. He pulled his hand from his pocket and ran it across his chest where a baldric once rubbed against his shirt. In his mind's eye, brass and wood glinted under lamplight. Powder. Wad. Shot. Tamp. The smell of oil. And then...the deafening crack as bullet left muzzle. The rush of offing a man before he could so much as lay a blade on you. The power. The control. It had been an extension of his arm. How had he forgotten?

And now it was too late to do anything about it. He'd just as likely be dead before he could get his hands on one again. Still, he'd have to keep a keen eye on Dog Lady. See if she showed her cards. In the meantime, he'd say nothing at all on the subject. After all, if he did end up nicking the thing, he didn't want to be that obvious about it.

In the time it took him to think it over, the conversation had again turned. Now Captain Elara had decided to go with them — under condition of making the journey by ship. Well, now. There was a welcome thought. At least he'd know what he was doing on a bloody ship. Hell, maybe he could show her how it was done, and then when this was over with, he'd be set up at last. And at the very least, they'd get to Essyrn faster. And maybe, just maybe...he could keep on living.

"I like the sound of that," Fletch agreed. For the first time since he'd reached this awful country, with its "dragons" and its apparent tolerance of fluffy tail fetishists, he cracked a grin. He began to brush himself off, straightening his sleeves and his collar as he went. His whole body still ached and throbbed from a million splinter wounds and bruises and worse, but...he found that he didn't care. The wind was back in his sails, now. "Well, daylight's burning. So, Captain. You going to sit there and drown in someone else's rum, or shall we hit the road?"

wandering_giraffe

Fenris stood up, thinking hard about where she had put that damn pistol.
"I'll be right back...probably."
She went upstairs, going into a room at the end of the hall.
Fenris came out a few minutes later, a large rucksack slung around her shoulder and a smaller leather bag tied to the rucksack.
She walked back to them, setting the rucksack on the floor but putting the leather bag on the table, untying the top of it and sitting down in a chair.
"I found not one, not two...but two pistols," she said triumphantly, drawing two rather dusty and slightly rusted pistols. They definitely had seen better days.
"Where in the name of every single siren I've ever killed did you find those?!"
Elara desperately wanted to grab both of them. They were calling to her. All they needed was a bit of elbow grease and they'd probably look amazing.
"They're both for me right?" Elara greedily eyed the pistols, wanting them for herselves.
Fenris laughed, twirling the pistols in her hands, her fingers dangerously close to the trigger.
"Bold of you to assume you get one,"Fenris laughed. She was merely teasing Elara, but it was fun to get under her skin.
Elara's eyes narrowed, a dark glint shining in her eyes, before it disappeared. She did, however, grab both of the pistols from Fenris's hands.
"What are you trying to do, kill us before we even get going?!"
She immediately opened the chamber on both of the pistols, a single bullet falling out from each one.
"You are insane. Those pistols could have easily misfired."
"Well since you already have yours, give one of them to Fletch."
Elara did not like that idea at all.
"Give a pistol to Fetch...oh that's a good idea. He'll probably shoot me in the back as we're walking! No no no you're crazy, you're—-"
Fenris took one of the pistols from Elara, looking at Fletch and then back at Elara.
She handed a pistol to Fletch.
"Don't shoot each other. I'm grabbing some supplies from the back. I'll be five minutes, ok?"
She left, heading to the kitchen.
Elara grabbed both of the bullets from the table, dropping one into her pocket and putting one in the pistol.
Then she reached across the table, firmly grabbing Fletch by the collar and putting the pistol against his head, pulling back the hammer.
"If you so much as point that pistol in Fenris's or my general direction, I'll kill you. And I'll enjoy every. Agonizing. Painful. Second of it. Do I make myself clear?" Every word she said, she tightened her grip on Fletch's collar.
Her eyes were cold, emotionless. There was a glare to them, almost as if they were swords, cutting into the soul.
She released her hold on Fletch, sinking back into her seat, fixing him with a glare that signaled that she meant it.
Fenris walked back in, whistling and plopping food on the table. She stopped, glancing at Elara and Fletch.
"What did I miss?"
She asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nightcrawler

As soon as the pistols left the bag, all other thoughts left his scheming mind. The guns were different from what he'd expected. They seemed old, like something his grandfather might have used, and it was clear by the rust and tarnish that they'd been stored improperly. He watched like a hungry jackal as the Captain and Dog Lady bickered about safety. It was clear that Elara wanted them as badly as he did. It was also clear that she didn't trust him around them. He pocketed that little observation. He'd mull it over in due time. Find some way to change her mind.

Dog Lady, though...Fenris, or whatever she'd said her name was. Bless her stupid, bleeding heart. She was a weak link if he'd ever seen one. An idealist. She was ready to trust. So ready, in fact, that she pulled one of the pistols from Elara's grasp and set it firmly in his hand. It was heavy. It was the right kind of heavy. Fletch couldn't believe his own eyes. The woman had just given him one, and he didn't even have to lift a damned finger for it. He ran his thumb along wood and ornate brass. He drank in every last detail of that gun with the covetous look of a man undressing his lover. He didn't hear Elara approach until cold steel dug into his temple.

Ah. There she was. There was the real captain. Maybe she could hold her own, after all. Like a man could. Aren't you full of surprises? Fletcher thought.

It was interesting. In the last hour, he'd faced his own mortality, seen a glimmer of hope that he might actually live, and now he stared death in the face once more. This time, though, the threat felt different. This time, he almost enjoyed it. There was a thrill to this. The thrill of chance: to have something precious and think that it might be stolen out from under you. His nerves thrummed. His fingers trembled. He returned her searing gaze with calm, catlike amusement, but the twitching sneer pulling at his nostril betrayed the lightning coursing through his veins. He pressed his skull harder against the muzzle, his eyes still fixed on hers in an unblinking stare. He leaned close. Too close. A chuckle hissed from his nose.

"I'm going to live," he murmured. "And you two are my ticket. Why in the fuck would I bite the hand that feeds, Captain?"

He stayed there for a moment longer just to drive the point home before leaning back again. He kept his head stuck to the muzzle for her like a good little dog. "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Otherwise, get your sidearm the hell out of my face."

She got out of his face. He released the breath he didn't know he'd been holding, and it came out in a shudder. He stuck the pistol in his coat pocket and sat, too, as calmly as he could manage. He smirked at her from across the table, daring her to try it again. But she didn't. Instead, Dog Lady came back in from the kitchen, oblivious to the tension in the room.

"What did I miss?"

Fletcher did his best impression of a disarming smile, but the warmth of it didn't reach his eyes. "Nothing of note," he lied. He drummed his fingers on the table. "The Captain and I were just going over some of the, er...finer details of this little voyage. Speaking of: if you lot want to set sail today, we should be going soon. Time and tide and all that tosh."

wandering_giraffe

Elara nodded at Fletch's observation that they should get going. He was right. She made a quick mental note to have someone on board keep an eye on him. She didn't trust him. At all.

Elara stood up from the table, grabbing the sack of food.
"Aye, Fetch is right. We should get going."

Fenris went and grabbed a bottle of ale from behind the counter. Elara snorted.
"Ye don't need that, we're about to board my ship. I've got plenty."
Fenris sighed and put it back.
"If your sorry pirate version of a good tavern doesn't have this, I'll throw you overboard myself."
Fenris was joking, of course, but Elara's face darkened.
"You'd do well to remember that I just killed my former first mate for threatening mutiny."
There seemed to be a quiet storm brewing behind Elara's eyes. A storm that threatened to turn into a hurricane.
Fenris held her hands up placatingly.
"It was a joke."
Elara merely glared, one hand on her rapier as if someone had actually threatened her.

"Well," Elara said quietly, "Let's head out."
Fenris opened the door for them and once they were outside, shut the door behind them and locked it. She really didn't like just leaving the tavern like that, but she had a feeling that the tavern is the least of her concerns right now.

Elara strode ahead of them, cutting an imposing figure with the way her hand was still resting on the hilt of her rapier. There was something in the way she walked. Her boots hit the ground with confidence, and there was an interesting lilt to her step, as if she's spent more time on her ship than on land.
They walked for a good half hour, going to one of the smaller docks and getting into a rather nondescript rowboat, crewed by two clean shaven but heavily tattooed and armed to the teeth pirates who scrambled to their feet when they saw Elara approaching. She waved them off and they sat back down, both preparing to row out to the ship.
Fenris looked around the small, deserted harbor, but only saw a longboat and a merchant boat.
"Where's the Midnight Marauder?"
Elara didn't even answer, merely gesturing out to the horizon.
They got on the rowboat, Fenris sitting down on the middle row leaving Fletch and Elara to sit down in the front row. As soon as they sat down, the pirates pushed off from the dock and began rowing, going rather far into the harbor and past both of the other ships. It felt like they were in that small, cramped rowboat forever, the air turning rather frigid.
Finally, they pulled up to the side of the Midnight Marauder, the ship looking absolutely breathtaking on the calm ocean. Storm clouds were gathering in the west, and the two pirates hurriedly helped Elara, Fletch and Fenris onto a small, wooden plank that led up to the main deck. Even from where they were, they could hear the bustle of the crew running the ship, the creak of pulleys and the occasional foul word drifting down to them from the main deck. Without a word, Elara walked up the plank, her mind already occupied, leaving the other two to follow her up, the two pirates bringing up the rear.
When they got to the main deck, a rousing cheer went up from the crew, most heartily coming up to Elara and welcoming her back.
"Ye survived the tavern did ya?"
A loud, booming voice cut through the din of the pirates, and they parted, forming a path.
A centaur, dressed rather uniquely, walked up to Elara, bowing quickly and smiling from ear to ear.
"This is Aikios, ship healer and general bringer of good spirits."
"And she means that both ways," Aikios muttered out of the side of his mouth to Fletch.
"I didn't know you were bringing back visitors!" Aikios exclaimed, seemingly noticing for the first time Fenris and Fletch.
Elara nodded.
"This is Fenris and Fetch—-"
Aikios interrupted.
"Nice to meet both of you. Captain, can we talk privately?"
Aikios obviously knew something was different.
"Let's go to my office then," Elara agreed, the two of them turning to walk below deck before Elara turned back.
"Fenris, Fletch, come with us, and I'll show you where you'll be sleeping."
They went below deck, Elara pointing out where the galley, Aikios's infirmary, and the small ship tavern were. They continued down to the third deck, where there were two small but comfortable cabins, each having a hammock, a chest to store personal items in, and two bottles of rum.
"There's soap and rags in the chest, feel free to rest up or go above deck. I'll meet both of you in the galley in about two hours."
Elara explained to both of them, before Aikios practically dragged her away. Fenris promptly went into her room and collapsed on the hammock, deciding to take a short nap.

Nightcrawler

The Midnight Marauder. Captain Elara's ship. Fletch had seen galleons before, but this: it was like something out of a fairytale. Like something a king would sail on just to look impressive. To say, "Look at what all of your money has bought me?" He counted nine cannon hatches and spotted seven above deck. "Thirty-two cannons," he whispered in disbelief as they skirted around its massive hull. "Who in the bleeding hell needs thirty-two cannons?"

He wondered how in the fuck this Elara woman could afford a ship like that. Surely if she'd stolen the damned thing, she wouldn't be so cavalier in bringing it this close to a major port.

Truthfully, he'd been lukewarm his entire life on the idea of sailing. It was a means to make money, and that was the end of it. He wasn't fond of the miserable food or the rationed water or the storms or the rigid hierarchy and the harsh ways of enforcing it. He much preferred dry land and a big, warm bed...and the company of women. To be his own man, without some other man breathing down his neck and berating him. And none of those luxuries were found at sea, in his experience.

Well, now there were women, he supposed. Just...not the sort he was thinking of. Unfortunately.

He'd been so preoccupied with the idea of beds and brothels — and, begrudgingly, the Marauder's elegant woodwork — that he didn't notice the horse monster until the ugly thing was almost on top of him. He felt the blood drain from his cheeks at the sight of it. He thought he might collapse. It talked, too, out of its human face. Fletcher gripped the railing behind him and leaned away, his eyes bulging. He said nothing. He hated this magic shite. The crew acted like the abomination in front of him was no surprise at all. Like it was a regular occurrence to see a ruddy headless horse with a man's top half stuck on. He thought he might be sick. He followed the captain wordlessly and stayed well clear of the beast's rear legs.

After Captain Elara's little tour of the decks, he thought she might put him to work, or at least point him to some dingy nest of hammocks in the cargo hold. After all, surely she didn't plan on letting him sail for free. Nobody got something for nothing, after all. So when she stopped in front of a nice little cabin door and called it his, he eyed her. "What's the catch?" he asked. "You, er...planning to collect later? Or am I working?"

But she was so preoccupied with the horse-man that she didn't hear him. He called after her as they left. "Oi!" He turned to Dog Lady. "Lost her hearing with all of these cannons, ey?" he snorted. "Think she has enough?" Then she, too, left him. He was alone at last.

He shut the door. He inspected the room. He picked up the rum, swirled it around, and set it back down again. He didn't feel like drinking. Not right now.

He paced. He fidgeted.

He hated being alone.

He also hated the idea of running into that creepy horse thing.

"Ughhhhh!" he groaned, running his hands over his hair. "Fine. Fine, fine, fine. A smoke. I need a smoke." He shoved his hands in his pockets, assured himself of his possession of both tobacco and matches, and headed topside. He'd find a nice spot out of the way, have his smoke, and watch her crew. And he'd wait.

wandering_giraffe

Aikios sighed as he closed the door behind him, Elara sitting down on top of her desk and Aikios choosing to stand.
"Well...Captain...the crew is getting restless."
Elara raised an eyebrow at that but said nothing, gesturing for him to continue.
"Actually, wait...I feel like I'm going to need something."
She reached down behind her desk and brought out a small bottle of rum.
It was Aikios's turn to raise his eyebrow.
"Captain! You've barely been on deck an hour and you're...you're drinking that?!"
Elara had already brought the bottle to her lips and merely shrugged.
"Anyways...there's been talk of...of..." Aikios hesitated. He hated being the nearer of bad news.
Elara's eyes narrowed.
"Of what?"
"Mutiny, captain."
Elara stood up, fire rushing into her eyes.
"It will be addressed...thank you Aikios for telling me..."
Elara trusted Aikios with her life. He was her confidant, her advisor.
Right now, she was going to go on deck and do something she had only done once or twice in her life.

Elara went out on the main deck, searching for Fletcher. She thought she could recall him saying something about smoking. Well, she needed a smoke right now. She still had the bottle of rum in one hand, and would take a swig from it every so often.
She finally spied him, and made her way over to him.
She needed a smoke, and then she was going to go talk to her first mate, Nik. See if he had heard anything about this "mutiny", or rather, plans of one.
"Uh, Fetch...could I have one of those death sticks I gave you such a hard time about?"

Goldie

Nik was minding his own damn business while Elara was off doing whatever the fuck it was she was doing with that damn map, but that didn't keep him from worrying. He hated the thing. It was magic and housed a ghost that had literally tried to kill her and yet he was the crazy one for suggesting they destroy the thing.

"Crazy my ass." He muttered, staring at the ceiling while popping an apple candy in his mouth and sucking on it loudly. He had stuff he probably should be doing, but he was so annoyed at the captain that he found he couldn't focus on anything else.

Until the noises of what sounded like some kind of boat tour started and he was forced out of his bed and into the hall.

But Gods dammit he took his time.

What had Elara done this time?

It didn't take long to sus out exactly what had happened and that she'd pulled in yet another stray. Not that the idea of adding to the crew was a bad thing but...Elara was impulsive and not everyone was an amazing and wonderful as Nik. This guy could be a murderer or worse.

A quick chat with Aikios filled him in and he sighed heavily while popping another candy. Better go find this guy and figure him out...what he wants...why Elara decided he needed to come with them.

"Oi, Captain." Nik called when he saw Elara next to who must be this Fetch, Fresh? Flightched...dammit he already forgot.

He placed a candy in her outstretched hand in response to her request for a smoke.

"You already have a fucking haunted map and rum enough to bathe in to kill you." He challenged, before turning to the newbie.

"Last time the Captain brought someone onto the crew he was a drunk who almost got the whole ship sunk by a siren. What'd you do?"
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

Nightcrawler

A storm brewed off East. A strong one, by the looks of it. Fletcher frowned. He wasn't keen on sailing through choppy waters. He lost his lunch right easily these days. Still, he didn't really have a choice at this point. He could sit at a bar and die or he could sail into a storm and die. Or, maybe, sail through it and live. He'd know soon enough either way.

He'd just barely managed to light up before the captain made a beeline for him across the deck. "Fuck me, what now?" he muttered beneath his breath, but he pulled what he hoped was a disarming grin nonetheless. It didn't escape him that she'd brought a bottle along, or that she looked as moody as the clouds behind her. Was she here to slam him through something else for sport? He couldn't think of a damned thing she'd want off him when they were so close to setting sail. Better to keep on her good side, regardless.

"Captain?" he asked.

"Uh, Fetch...could I have one of those death sticks I gave you such a hard time about?"

This hardened woman, coming up and bumming a fag off of him? Now he knew something wasn't right. He wouldn't ask, though. He'd just watch. He had to play this carefully.

Fletch had just started rifling for a second smoke when a fair-haired sailor slapped something entirely different in Elara's palm. He looked down at it. Candy? Was that...candy? Like she was some brat in diapers? Fletcher raised an eyebrow, hand frozen halfway out of his pocket. Who in the bloody hell was this looney?

"You already have a fucking haunted map and rum enough to bathe in to kill you," the man told her before turning to address him. He didn't mince words. "Last time the Captain brought someone onto the crew he was a drunk who almost got the whole ship sunk by a siren. What'd you do?"

Fletch rolled his shoulders back and stood just a little bit straighter. He cocked his head and jutted his chin just enough to tell this newcomer that he wasn't going to lay down and take it. He already didn't like the man by his tone. He kept the smile up and his sight trained on the sailor as he slowly and deliberately finished removing the fag from his pocket, lit it with the one between his lips, and offered it to Elara. "Captain's a big girl," he replied coolly. "She can make her own decisions." He shoved his hands into his trouser pockets this time and wished that Elara hadn't taken the bullet from his pistol.

"Thanks for the history lesson," he added. "Devlin Fletcher. Fletch, if you like. Third mate of the cargo runner Mirabel, and, seeing as you look to have a full complement, passenger courtesy of your Captain. As for what I did?" He gestured to his bruises and snorted. "Headbutted the wrong woman. Didn't I, Captain?"

wandering_giraffe

Elara was shocked when Fletch actually got her one. She took it, putting the candy in her pocket and taking a drag off the fag.
"Thanks," she said, trying to keep the anger she had inside of her from spilling out.
She gestured to Nik. "Fletch, this is Nik, my first mate."

"Headbutted the wrong woman, didn't I captain?"
Elara raised her eyebrow at that.
"Well, I slammed you through a table, so we're even now. And don't think I won't do it again." She was rather touchy right now, concerned about the rumors of a mutiny and just rather tired. She did, however, ask Nik a question.
"I can't wait anymore or I might explode. Have you heard anything about a mutiny? Or rumors of a mutiny?"
She took another drag. She could see why Fletch liked these so much.

Goldie

Nik listened to Devlin Fletcher's list of jobs with an air of annoyance that had little to do with him and a lot to do with the now-smoking captain to his left. She hadn't even eaten the candy! Just shoved it in her pocket like she wasn't holding onto the most precious piece of food in the world. Didn't she understand the lengths he went to to make sure he maintained a full stash?

Fucking woman.

As she took a drag, he plucked it from her lips and tossed it overboard before holding a finger in front of her nose and simply saying, "No."

He was about to address the new guy when Elara blathered on about mutiny and Nik's annoyance was replaced by trepidation. He had certainly heard the rumblings of displeasure with her leadership - a few crew members had come to him personally with their concerns but he hadn't had the chance to present them to her yet. She was always off doing something or other because of that damn map.

It would seem he had made a mistake in not forcing her to sit down and listen.

"Captain." He kept his voice low, "You know as well as I do that the deck has ears. This isn't the place for this kind of conversation. Eat your candy, get your head out of that map's ass, and we'll talk about it below."

He turned his attention to Fletch, "You. Thanks for head butting her."
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

Nightcrawler

"Well, I slammed you through a table, so we're even now. And don't think I won't do it again."

Captain was tense, even with the cigarette. Fletch bit back a million retorts: some rude, others suggestive. If he wanted her trust, he knew he'd have to watch his mouth. So he let it go with a halfhearted, "Hah," and leaned back to let the two of them chat about whatever it was the man had come here for. Though, not without a brief complaint when the first mate plucked the fag from Elara's mouth and tossed it over the railing.

"Hey! I paid good money for that," he interjected. "Least you could do is give the damned thing back." But the Captain and Nik were already on to other, much more serious matters. Mutiny. Oh, he knew it well. He'd been a part of one, back in his smuggling days. Now, it wouldn't normally be his business. Normally, he'd step back and watch the whole thing happen, and then side with the likely victor. This time, though...this time, a delay could cost him his life. His stomach dropped. He was an outsider, here. He didn't know who to listen to, or who to trust, save Dog Lady's bleeding heart. He had to sort out a plan of his own, and quickly.

His thoughts were interrupted by the strangest thing he'd ever heard in his entire fucking life.

"You. Thanks for head butting her."

Fletcher stared Nik down like he had turned into a circus monkey. He looked from him, to Elara, to him, and back to Elara again before gesturing at the first mate with his cigarette. "Who in the bloody hell is this man?" he breathed to the Captain. Then he remembered the horse monster. He pinched the bridge of his nose and shut his eyes like he'd just gotten a terrible headache. "You know what, no, don't answer that. Next thing I know, you'll tell me he's a forest fairy or some shite. I'm dreaming and this place isn't bloody real."

He popped the cigarette back in his mouth and let his hand drop to his side. He gave her the thousand-yard stare of a hung-over man who just wanted one normal day. "Look. The rest of this sounds like none of my business, so I'll leave you both to it. I'm going to go find D— Fen...ris. Captain? You, er...know where to find me. Should you need another smoke. Or...anything else, for that matter," he added with the slightest cock of an eyebrow.

With that, he stepped away from them and headed back to the hatch, finishing his fag along the way. First order of business was to tell Dog Lady. She might be one crayon short of the box, but she seemed to know the Captain well enough. After that, he might socialize with the crew a bit. Get a feel for them. See if any of them were acting strange. If he played his cards right as an outsider, he might even pick up a few details that Elara couldn't.

Before he knew it, he was at Dog Lady's door. He raised a fist and knocked. "Erm. Fenris? You there?"