Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One More Look at the Ghost [MorningStar!] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, December 27, 2023, 03:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Fang didn't really know what was so funny—it was just something she'd noticed! But Spike's laughter was contagious and no matter how she resisted it, she soon fell into a fit of giggles, laughing all the harder because she wasn't sure why she was laughing. She just felt...giddy, a little high and pleasantly tired after what they'd done with the sensations still lingering.

It was Spike's words that sobered her again. Maids?

Well. Of course. They couldn't just stay here forever and someone had to clean the rooms between stays. But...

The angry pounding on the walls. The sounds they'd made. The state of the bed. Fang glanced down at the sheets—white, of course they were white—and realized with slow-building horror just how messy they were, stained with a small smear of red she hadn't noticed before in the nighttime and—

Well, and her own current mess slowly leaking from between her legs.

With a groan, she buried her face against Spike, mumbling against his skin, "...everyone's gonna know."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

MorningStar

Despite the disarray of the room, Spike's concern about discretion lingered like a shadow. The white sheets bore the evidence of their intimate encounter, stains marking the intensity of their passion. A few toppled items scattered about, remnants of their shared moments. The faint scent of their union hung in the air, a lingering testament to their connection. While the room bore witness to their intimate escapade, Spike felt a subtle reassurance that their secret was safe in the anonymity of the unfamiliar inn, far removed from the prying eyes of home.

"It's alright," he reassured her gently. "Here, we're just strangers passing through. What they think doesn't matter. I only care about how I feel about you."

With a tender lift, he cradled her head against his chest. "If you want to leave discreetly, we can," he suggested. "How about a cup of tea to kickstart our day? There's a little shop nearby."

Rhindeer

Leave discreetly? 

That got Fang's attention and she craned her neck to look up at him hopefully. Sure, she knew he was right, no one knew them here, she knew on an objective level that it didn't matter and they'd never see these folks again, but the idea of making eye contact with anyone in that inn after everything was...

Quite mortifying.

"How would we do that?" she asked slowly, shifting a look toward the window. They were on the second floor, after all. Her eyebrows climbed. "You're not suggesting...?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

MorningStar

Spike observed Fang, his brow furrowed in bemusement, as her gaze fixated on the window. Her mind, an enigma he often struggled to unravel, seemed to be concocting scenarios that danced on the edge of the outrageous. As her eyes remained glued to the window, Spike couldn't help but wonder about the possibilities swirling in her imagination. Did she envision a daring escape, catapulting them out the window and navigating a perilous parkour descent? Was she secretly harboring the ability to fly, contemplating the logistics of managing his weight mid-air? Or perhaps, in the whimsical tapestry of her thoughts, had she momentarily forgotten they were on the second floor and would nearly plunge to her death?

Well, Spike certainly couldn't let that happen. He gracefully disentangled himself from her, retaining the lingering warmth of her warmth on his skin as he ambled around the room in his unabashed nakedness. Retrieving his coat – a large garment with a hood that would dwarf Fang upon descent – he laid it beside her, something she could wear to obscure her face. That should work well enough.

"We are not going through the window," he said firmly. "Wear this, we'll walk out the front door. I'm sure they innkeepers are used to... this sort of thing?"

Rhindeer

Fang openly watched Spike as he walked about the room, able to appreciate his form even more now, but when he returned with his coat she couldn't help but give it a skeptical frown. She didn't have to try it on to know she'd be absolutely swimming in it and that it would keep her nice and hidden.

But.

She was also pretty sure anyone with half a brain could deduce who the short person under the big man-coat was, and also...

Unable to help it, she sank her face into her hands with a soft fit of laughter. "Oh, I should think that'll make me look even more conspicuous and ashamed! I may as well wear a tabard announcing my 'crime' and stand in the village square!" Lifting her head from her hands, still grinning, she reached out and caught Spike's arm, tugging him in closer.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh," she said, and leaned up to kiss him. "You're so sweet to consider my comfort here, but..." A deep breath. "You're probably right. Maybe I should just...try not to care so much? Walk out with my head held high? It's not like we did anything unnatural. I'm not ashamed of you or what we shared. Truly."

She pushed up off the bed, rising to her feet—and then made a face when, as though on cue, gravity did its thing and his...evidence...trickled down her thigh. 

MorningStar

Spike observed Fang rising, his attention instinctively captured by the subtle play of light tracing her legs and other things, and...

Oh my goddesses, he wanted her again. A primal desire surged within him, a magnetic pull drawing him toward her once more. He wanted to pin her to the bed, explore every inch of her, and fill her. They could be quick, quiet, and...

Nope! No time. Get it together, Spike.

Spike moved rather quickly to hide the swelling evidence below his waistline. He began with a pair of form-fitting, midnight-black pants that clung to their legs with a seamless grace. Following the pants, he adorned themselves with a sleek, long-sleeved shirt that seamlessly blended into the shadows. The tailored fit accentuated his agile frame, ensuring both comfort and a discreet silhouette.

"So no coat, then?" he asked with a coy smile, turning to her once he was prepared for the day.

Rhindeer

Fang was so distracted with the mess that she didn't notice Spike's staring, nor the effect it had on him. She was too busy waddling to the washroom, her clothes bundled in her arms, where she cleaned herself up as quickly as she could—while simultaneously trying not to panic.

Was she absolutely out of her mind?

She'd told him to do it. Begged him to, really, riding the high of pleasure and more than a little lingering religious guilt. But now that it was done and she was wiping away the consequences, she couldn't help but regret it. It was such an incredibly stupid thing to do when she was in no way prepared, equipped, or willing to carry a child. Children had always been a "maybe one day, maybe" that had leaned heavily on the "no" side of "maybe" and that hadn't magically changed—but goddess she couldn't help the gnawing guilt that she should just enjoy this just for the sake of enjoying it.

And now...goddess, the last thing she wanted was to deal with a bigger consequence when she wasn't even in her home country.

She stayed in the room a little longer than she needed just to calm down and wash her face with cold water, and when she felt decent enough she dressed and stepped back into the room. Her sarong reached her ankles, and her top was sleeveless and bared her midriff and pierced navel, tying around her neck. Not exactly Serendipity appropriate, but she imagined they could do something about that while they were here. She pulled her hair free of its braid, letting it fall around her shoulders in waves, courtesy of the overnight braid.

Spike was also dressed when she returned, and then he made that coy little quip at her that made her smile sheepishly.

"We'll see. I think maybe you have the right idea, though. It's not a big deal, right? So if we just act casual and normal, it'll be fine."

Right?

MorningStar

Fang was in the bathroom for what felt like an eternity to Spike. The questions swirled in his mind – another leisurely bath, a meticulous cleanup, or perhaps something else entirely? When she finally emerged, responding to his earlier remark, Fang's sarong cascaded gracefully to her ankles, accentuating the curves that Spike had grown rather fond of. Her hair tumbled effortlessly around her face, and in that moment, she looked utterly stunning. For a heartbeat, Spike found himself momentarily at a loss for words. After a discreet throat-clearing and a mental pep talk, he finally managed to break the silence.

"Right," he said softly. "Should be fine.."

What Spike did next was anything but low-profile. Gathering their belongings, he flashed a unexpectedly playful grin and said, "Come along, lover," before effortlessly scooping her up from under her legs. Carrying her as if she weighed nothing, he sauntered out of the room with unapologetic confidence. The maid, already stationed outside, eyed the scene with a mixture of surprise and discreet amusement as Spike descended the stairs with determined strides. Passing the reception desk, Spike tossed an extra set of coins carelessly onto it, the metallic clink punctuating their triumphant exit. With a polite grin, he declared, "Best night ever," leaving the establishment in their wake, turning heads and leaving an indelible mark on the place.

Rhindeer

Should be fine, Spike said. 

They could leave discreetly, he said.

Except the next words he said were, "Come along, lover," and then she was swept up into his arms like a bride.

Fang let out a yelp of surprise, threw her arms around his neck to hold on, and her eyes went saucer-wide as he marched toward the door. Face flushing with heat, she squirmed in his grip and let out a strangled whisper-yell of, "What'reyoudoing?"

It was very clear what he was doing

Out the room they went and down the stairs, and this was sort of how she'd pictured them escaping out the window except that had been OUT THE WINDOW. Not down into the very occupied main room where several patrons we're taking meals. And while Fang had spoken of leaving with her head high and unashamed, that was very much not what happened. Absolutely mortified, she let out a groan and buried her face in the crook of his neck...and that did not help matters. Somehow, she managed to do a walk of shame without walking while Spike looked like the cat that got the canary and the cream.

And then... "Best night ever."

Noooooooo...

And had he thrown extra money on the counter?!

WAIT JUST A MINUTE.

Soon they were outside, and for several long minutes Fang could say nothing, lost for words entirely, her face still buried. When she finally found the words to speak, it came out a gritted, "Put me down, Spike."

MorningStar

Once outside the inn, Spike's playful high began to dissolve, and the weight of reality came crashing down. He suddenly found himself awkwardly holding Fang in his arms, his expression shifting from carefree to a mix of embarrassment and realization.

With an embarrassed grin, Spike gently lowered Fang to the ground, struggling to meet her eyes. "Uh, sorry about that," he mumbled, his voice almost apologetic. His unexpected bravado seemed to have taken a sudden vacation.

Spike scratched the back of his head, looking sheepish. "I got a bit carried away there," he admitted, his grin now more apologetic than mischievous.

Rhindeer

Fang was quiet as he set her down, and was quiet as she straightened out her clothes and her hair, using that to buy time to collect her thoughts. She didn't look at Spike as he apologized; more like she looked at anything else but him.

Breathe, breathe, just breathe.

Finally she rolled her shoulders back and lifted her chin to look up at him, eyes filled with hurt.

"Do you..." She swallowed down the lump in her throat and pressed on before she lost her courage, or before she choked on her words as her chest squeezed. "Do you really see me that way? As a whore?"

MorningStar

Spike's face went noticeably pale as a wave of intense regret and fear washed over him. Fang's suggestion, misinformed as it may have been, struck a chord deep within him. He didn't fully comprehend what had compelled him to act in such a way, but it certainly wasn't aligned with the reason Fang had just hinted at.

A flurry of thoughts raced through Spike's mind. Was he really that bad at just being a person? He thought she might enjoy it, believed he was living in the moment, letting go of the inhibitions that had clung to him since childhood. Maybe, just maybe, for that fleeting moment, he had allowed himself to act in a way that felt like the married couple they pretended to be back on the ship. Is that not what they would do? Was it because he carried her? He carried her all of the time!

His eyes betrayed the turmoil within as he looked at Fang, a mix of vulnerability and confusion, realizing that his impulsive actions might have blurred the lines between their playful charade and the reality of their dynamic. The weight of his own misjudgment hung in the air, and Spike wondered if he had inadvertently breached a boundary that shouldn't have been crossed.

"No, Fang, I love-"

He halted, grappling with his words, uncertain if he could articulate what needed to be said, especially to a Thanati priestess. The notion of expressing sentiments that might not align with her beliefs weighed heavily on him.

"I would never, and have never, viewed you in that way," he attempted to explain, the sincerity in his voice underscoring his struggle. "I guess I.. I'm not what you'd consider a proper person, I suppose. Will you..."

Spike's face, still bearing the traces of regret, shifted as he impulsively got down on one knee. He gently took Fang's hand, the gesture bearing an uncanny resemblance to a proposal. His eyes, filled with a mixture of sincerity and misunderstanding, met hers.

"Will you forgive me?"

Rhindeer

The change in his expression was instantaneous—and it gave her the answer before his words did. The regret, the fear, the confusion. He would have had to be a spectacular actor to pull off so many expressions in such a short time, and so convincingly on top of it—and while he was very skilled in a number of areas, Fang somehow doubted his skill there.

Did he...really not understand?

She had desperately hoped she was reading the situation wrong. Hadn't he defended her when Echen had thrown that word in her face? He had nearly slit his throat for that! And there was not one instance, not a single moment in time, when he had ever made her feel lesser. There was not a single moment where he made her feel disrespected or unsafe. When she looked at Spike she saw, and felt, security and affection—and that was why it hurt so, so much.

And yet, deep down, as much as Fang tried to ignore it...insecurity had taken root. The words had stung. The looks had stung. She had been assaulted for it. And though she had made a noble effort to hide it, she was afraid of what people thought of her, and always had been, especially here in a foreign land where she knew she would be judged.

And then...last night happened. And this morning. She indulged in pleasure for pleasure's sake with a Serenian man. More insecurity. More guilt. It all compounded, bubbling under the surface, and no matter how hard she pressed the lid down...eventually the pressure made it boil over.

The coin on the counter had done it. But. His eyes and words were telling a different story?

"No, Fang, I love—"

He cut off. What? He loved what? But then he continued, clarifying...and Fang visibly relaxed, some of the tension easing out of her shoulders as the hurt softened to hope. And then, taking her by surprise once more, he dropped to one knee and took her hand as he begged forgiveness.

That drew the attention of several onlookers who gasped and turned to watch the "proposal", some scandalized, some vibrating with excitement or jealousy or wistfulness over such a romantic display. If they had been nearer, however, they might have noticed that the couple's facial expressions did not match the scene.

Fortunately for Spike, Fang was completely oblivious to the cultural significance. She startled, but only because she hadn't expected him to practically prostrate himself. She gave a quick glance around, hyper-aware of the stares, and gave his hand a little upward tug.

"Of course I forgive you," she whispered. "I...I believe you. I'm just...I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Ah, get up, Spike, people are staring..."

Biting her lip, gathering her thoughts, she let out a sigh and worried at a lock of her hair, twisting and untwisting it around her finger anxiously. "Why did you throw money on the counter as we left, then? You'd already paid for the room the night before." She shifted her eyes away. "It...it made me think you were paying for...having me."

MorningStar

As Spike glanced around, he noticed the diverse array of reactions from the onlookers, ranging from excitement to disdain, curiosity to jealousy. His eyes locked with a woman who shot her companion an expectant look, transforming into one of anger when he chose to ignore the situation entirely. It dawned on Spike that the scene might be misconstrued - the way he was on one knee, holding Fang's hand, had an unmistakable air of a proposal. While the prospect of that future wasn't entirely unwelcome, the timing was all wrong.

Feeling the weight of the unintentional misdirection, Spike cleared his throat with a less-than-subtle signal, drawing attention back to reality. Regaining his footing, he chuckled nervously, attempting to diffuse the awkward atmosphere. "
They think I'm proposing marriage," he mumbled, exchanging a glance with Fang that held embarrassment. "Thank you.. for forgiving me."

Because that's what people said in times like this, right? "You're forgiven," "Thanks!"

In the aftermath of the unexpected commotion, he kept her hand intertwined with his as they navigated through the streets on their way to the cafe - desperately trying to get her away from prying eyes after he caused so much unwanted attention. Her inquiry about the money caught him off-guard, prompting him to respond with clear puzzlement. "Paying for... having you?" he questioned, genuine confusion underlying his words. "But you don't work there. You're a Priestess. Aren't you supposed to leave a tip for a pleasant stay? After all, the bed was quite comfortable, and it might contribute to covering the water damage we caused."

Rhindeer

They thought he was proposing marriage?! What?! How?! Was that how it was done in Serenian culture? That's what it looked like? Fang's head spun, and she couldn't be more relieved to get away from the onlookers as he guided her along.

So this was what it felt like from the other side, then. Like any innocuous gesture could be unintentionally offensive or scandalous. Yikes.

But soon enough they were out of range, and Spike picked back up where they left off. And what he said sent another pang of guilt through her. He...he thought he was tipping them for good service and to help cover the damage. She thought he was paying for her. 

Ohhhh dear...well now she just felt like a jerk.

She stole a sidelong glance up at him and then looked away, giving his hand a squeeze. "I see..." she said slowly, regret in her voice. "That...makes sense. I...oh goddess, Spike, I should have known better, with you of all people. And I didn't want to think that. But...well, in Thanatos, sometimes they work the streets, and someone might bring them to a certain establishment, shall we say, and pay the establishment for giving them a place to, you know. I'm not sure of all the specifics but I thought...maybe that was..."

She trailed off, biting the inside of her cheek, and finally turned to face him. "I'm sorry. I think I'm just a little..." She waved her free hand, trying to think of the phrasing. "Unbalanced right now. After everything that happened on the ship. I know I've been acting like I'm okay. I'm really trying to be."

MorningStar

Spike's expression shifted gradually from confusion to a deeper sense of hurt. It wasn't a hurt caused by Fang's words, but rather a self-inflicted pain fueled by the realization of the impact of his own actions on her. His foolish assumption that she was okay, despite the events on the ship, and everything else, left him feeling vulnerable and powerless, like a little boy grappling with emotions beyond his understanding.

As these thoughts raced through his mind, Spike came to a sudden stop and turned to face Fang. Without a word, he wrapped her in an abrupt yet sincere embrace. The vulnerability in his eyes was mirrored by the vulnerability of his apology. "I'm sorry," he managed to utter, the weight of his regret palpable in the quiet sincerity of his voice.

Rhindeer

Spike pulled her into an embrace, and Fang just...melted. There was nothing really that needed to be said, no words that could magically heal everything—only time could do that. But sometimes words weren't needed at all, as Spike was soon to learn; sometimes just listening and being present was enough.

And in this case—sometimes one just also really, really needed a hug.

Fang wrapped her arms around him and squeezed, nestling against him with her cheek against his chest and eyes closed as she just breathed him in. She hadn't realized how much she needed this, this simple human contact, these arms that were filled with warmth and safety, and through it she poured in her forgiveness and her own silent apologies and hoped he would feel it, too. 

Taking a deep breath, hands lightly curled in his shirt, she nodded. "It's okay," she said quietly. "It's not your fault. You can't control the actions of others." 

Another squeeze, her body flush against his, and she finally let go of him reluctantly and gave him a soft smile. "Thank you for that. I...I honestly think I needed that."

MorningStar

Spike's embrace lingered, offering Fang the solace she needed. As they parted, he attempted a comforting smile, planting a gentle kiss on her cheek. "Come on, let's get your tea," he suggested, guiding her through the vibrant streets of Serendipity.

In this city of free thinkers, their presence garnered a mix of reactions. Some onlookers admired the couple, seeing the beauty in the diverse pairing. Yet, disapproving glances, particularly from certain women, lingered in the air, reminiscent of the judgment Spike had faced in Thanatos.

Reaching the cafe, the atmosphere shifted.

Ghosts liked cafes, apparently.

The ethereal presence of Spike's spectral companions filled the space, their incorporeal forms swirling in anticipation. Yet amidst the gathering, the conspicuous absence of Maya was something he had taken note of. Lawrence, his sinister countenance twisted into a malevolent grin, loomed behind the shop clerk like a shadowy specter, his presence suffused with an eerie aura that set Spike on edge.

Despite the disquieting sight, Spike clung to Fang's hand with unwavering resolve, a steadfast anchor amidst the spectral maelstrom. With determination etched into his features, he guided them forward...

To third in line. They were relatively busy today.

Rhindeer

Now that it was light out and their little hiccup was addressed, Fang took to actually looking around as they walked—and felt a little foolish, because she knew she must be gawking. Everything was different here; of course it was, it was another country. It was much colder than she was used to, and she thought that maybe she should have taken him up on the offer of the coat as goosebumps pebbled along her exposed skin—or at least worn her robes. Yet she had felt that both of those things would somehow make her stand out more than bare skin...and now she was second-guessing that entirely, as everyone here seemed to show barely any skin at all.

Which figured, considering the temperature.

Was this how Spike felt in Thanatos? Completely over his head with no idea where anything was or what the proper etiquette was with people giving him looks all the time?

At least she had the benefit of speaking the Trader's Tongue, thank Inima. He hadn't even had that. It must have been rough...

And as they entered the cafe, she flashed back to how he'd been treated, and how she had had to come to the rescue. Oh goddess. Suppose it served her right, seeing and feeling things from the other side. But what a great lesson in humility, right? In fact, the whole experience was a little strangely nostalgic. His spirits were active again, Lawrence standing in plain view behind the counter. 

It was like going back in time.

Squeezing Spike's hand tightly, she turned her eyes away from Lawrence and to the tea selection on the back wall—and saw many old faces, but also a dozen new blends. New teas? Yes, please! 

Raising up onto her toes, she leaned up to speak into Spike's ear. "Any recommendations?"

MorningStar

The line at the cafe snaked around the corner, but Spike paid it no mind as he stood beside Fang, his attention solely focused on her. His soft smile conveyed warmth and affection as he regarded her, taking in the delicate features of her face illuminated by the soft glow of the cafe windows. Despite the bustling crowd and the cacophony of voices around them, she seemed to be the only thing that mattered in that moment.

As his gaze traveled downward, Spike's heart skipped a beat at the sight of goosebumps trailing down Fang's skin, a telltale sign of her discomfort. Without hesitation, he shrugged out of his jacket and draped it around her shoulders, the fabric providing a shield against the cool weather that permeated the air.

With a sheepish grin, Spike answered Fang's question about tea recommendations, his voice tinged with honesty and vulnerability. "I'm more of a coffee guy," he admitted, his tone laced with a hint of self-deprecation. "But I hear the Spice Chai-der is good. Sort of a spiced cider and tea mix." His words were accompanied by a gentle squeeze of her hand, a silent reassurance of his presence by her side.

Just as they were almost up next to order, a chill ran down Spike's spine as Lawrence materialized behind them. "Or, a cup of poison is always good," he sneered, the weight of his hands on their shoulders like an invisible vice, suffocating and oppressive. Spike's jaw clenched in frustration, every fiber of his being itching to confront the specter that haunted their every move.

But he held himself back, swallowing down the surge of anger and resentment that threatened to consume him. With a subtle shift of his shoulder, Spike gave Lawrence a silent warning. That, and if Spike were to lunge at him now, that would look rather silly to the others in the establishment.