Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shattered Reflections [M]

Started by MorningStar, January 01, 2024, 04:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorningStar

Her unexpected embrace was enough to make his cheeks burn red, not sharing any sort of intimacy or affection in quite some time. Still, it was hardly the time or place with her literally sobbing into him.

He tried. He did. He wrapped his arms around her, albeit a bit awkwardly after first, and held her tightly to allow her the time she needed to let it out.

He knows about... me?

He let his chin rest on top of her head, eyes scanning the room. His dagger was on the floor, and so was a sword. Was it hers? What.. happened?

"What," he started quietly, having difficulty finding the words. "What should I do?"

wandering_giraffe

She was able to calm down.
"I don't know! I've never dealt with—with anything even close to this before!" She took a shaky breath.
"Maybe...maybe I am going insane..."
She was quiet for a moment.
"Do you...do you remember anything from when you were Ipsen? Anything at all?"

MorningStar

He took a moment to gather his thoughts, realizing that he had remained silent while still holding her in a gentle embrace. Blushing, he shifted away from her and cleared his throat before speaking.

"I don't know," he admitted truthfully, uncertainty evident in his voice. "The last thing I remember... is getting a terrible headache."

His gaze drifted to the weapons on the floor and then back to her, a hint of hesitation in his voice. "I didn't... hurt you, did I?"

wandering_giraffe

A strange look flashed across her eyes when he asked if he had hurt her.
"No," she said quietly, "You didn't hurt me, you just scared me alittle."
"You said you had a terrible headache before hand? Do you remember if you get these often?"
She wiped at her eyes with the edge of her sleeve.
"Sorry for everything...I just kindof freaked out for a second."
She grabbed a grapefruit from the table and walked into the kitchen, cutting it into quarters.
"Would you like a piece? Grapefruit helps me think, at least."

MorningStar

"Oh, I'm fine, tha-" he was interrupted by the sound of his stomach growling in anger. Another small blush colored his cheeks before he conceded and nodded. "Actually, sure. Thank you."

Food was scarce for him most of the time. He often tried to be polite and not have someone go out of their way for him, but he was already staying on her couch, and well... he was starving.

"I do get headaches often," he admitted. "And I tend to lose time. I can't explain it... it's like I fall asleep at random times, or I black out."

wandering_giraffe

She sat next to him and handed him half of the grapefruit and a knife.
"Can you correlate these headaches with like, events? Or some strange unique thing that triggers it?"
She took a bite of her grapefruit.
"Has any strange events happened recently? Anything that has stood out?"

MorningStar

He didn't know why, but he felt as if he could trust her. Hells, he did not have much to lose or much to go on at any rate.

Taking a bite of the grapefruit, he swallowed and nodded soberly. "Actually," he began, a hint of fear and uncertainty lacing his voice. "The other day I... I mean, the day before you found me. I had another episode. When I came to, I was in the woods... covered in blood."

Realization began to hit him like a freight train, and he could not hide the slight tears surfacing in his eyes.

wandering_giraffe

Arya softly put her arm around him.
"I'm sorry...how can I help? I have a lot of connections here...maybe we could go consult someone."
"Hey...you don't have to think about it right now...we'll work through this. We have time."

MorningStar

Her touch broke him in that moment.

Lowen crumbled into Arya's comforting embrace, overwhelmed by the weight of his truth. As he sobbed, the horrors of his situation unravel, and he silently confessed the haunting reality to himself – he is Ipsen, the one responsible for taking lives. A man who's strived to be good is now grappling with the revelation, questioning the very foundation of his existence.

Once the tears passed and dried, he leaned up, his head heavy and his face sore. "Thank you," he whispered in defeat. "Maybe I.. just need some sleep for now."

wandering_giraffe

"You're safe here...you can stay here as long as you need," she reassured him.
Arya gently laid him down on the couch and covered him with the soft blanket she had grabbed earlier.
"I know it's a lot to process...tomorrow morning we can start fresh, I'll have breakfast ready too. If you need anything, I'm just through there," and she pointed through the animal skin hanging down over the partition.
"Will you be ok through the night?" She concernedly asked.
After making sure he would be comfortable, she wished him good night, and went to her own bed, leaving the partition open.
She yawned and fell asleep fast.

MorningStar

Lowen succumbed to the embrace of slumber on Arya's couch, his restless dreams manifesting in inaudible and haunting whispers. Tossing and turning, he grappled with the echoes of his own internal turmoil. In the quiet of the night, a sudden jolt disrupted the stillness as Lowen abruptly sat upright. His once-closed eyes revealed an unsettling truth – Ipsen had resurfaced.

The room, bathed in an eerie stillness, bore witness to Ipsen's presence, his black eyes void of all emotion. Sinister intentions lingered in the air as he silently observed Arya, sleeping peacefully, unaware of the malevolent force now in her midst. The weight of darkness enveloped the room as Ipsen, consumed by an inscrutable purpose, watched her for a moment, his silent gaze penetrating the serenity of the night. Without a sound, he slipped away into the shadows, leaving behind an unsettling aura that lingered in the empty space he once occupied.

wandering_giraffe

Arya woke up alittle before dawn with a start...something didn't feel right. There was an aura around the room...She anxiously threw the covers back and got out of bed, cautiously walking into the still dark room.
"Lowen?" Her voice shook.
"Are you alright?"

MorningStar

The moon hung low in the ink-black sky, casting eerie shadows that clung to the desolate alleyways like a malevolent shroud. Ipsen, awakened from his slumber, moved with predatory grace, silent as the whispers of the night. Leaving Arya's house behind, he became a phantom in the shadows, hunting an unsuspecting prey through the winding labyrinth of the town's darker corners.

As he trailed the stranger, his senses heightened, and the air thickened with tension. Ipsen, a creature of the night, moved like a hungry predator closing in on its prey. The man, oblivious to the impending danger, wandered into an isolated part of town, where the murmur of life was swallowed by the suffocating darkness.

Suddenly, Ipsen revealed himself, stepping into the dim light with a disarming smile. He assumed the persona of Lowen, seemingly lost and harmless. "E-excuse me, sir," he began, his voice carrying the veneer of politeness. "I seem to have lost my way. Can you help me with directions?"

The unsuspecting man, initially sympathetic, began to offer guidance. Just as a glimmer of relief flickered in his eyes, Ipsen's demeanor shifted like a sudden storm. The nice guy facade melted away, revealing the true nature of the predator within.

Ipsen's eyes, once benign, now glinted with a malevolence as he unleashed his violent attack. Without warning, Ipsen pinned the man against the wall, unsheathing his knife before stabbing the man over and over again, the haunting echoes of the encounter reverberating through the desolate alleyways.

With the exhilaration of the kill winding down, Ipsen grinned maliciously at the corpse before sliding down against the wall, letting himself revert back to Lowen.

Lowen now lay unconscious in the alleyway across from the man he just brutally murdered, unbeknownst to the acts he just committed, as the sun began to rise with the morning.

wandering_giraffe

Arya couldn't find Lowen anywhere.
"No no no..." she muttered, her anxiety ratcheting up into panic.
She quickly grabbed her cloak and her sword, running out into the dawn.

"Lowen!" She yelled, frantically checking alleyways and back roads.
There...in an abandoned alleyway...blood streaked the walls like an insane artist had been unleashed.
One lay against a wall, and one lay down on the ground, very obviously dead.
"Oh no..." Arya whispered, rushing to the poor unconscious guy lying against the wall.
"Are you Lowen or Ipsen?" She muttered, frantically checking him over for injuries.
"Oh god...I've got to get you out of here..." She grabbed the bloody knife that she assumed was the murder weapon and wrapped it, shoving it into her belt.
She hoisted him up onto her shoulder, and took the back road back to her cabin.
"You've got some explaining to do," she muttered.

MorningStar

Upon finally regaining consciousness, Lowen blinked one hazel eye open with a heavy groan. His body felt as if it had endured some rigorous exercise.

It took a moment for him to grasp that he was not only outdoors but also being carried by someone. Relief washed over him as he identified Arya, though the mixture of terror and confusion lingered.

"Arya," he grunted, initiating a slight wiggle to free himself from her grip. "Put me down. What happened?"

wandering_giraffe

Arya's grip only tightened.
"You're not going anywhere," she snarled, marching back to her cabin.
She flung him down on the couch, drawing a dagger and pointing it at him.
"Stay there."
She paced back and forth in front of the couch.
"Do you even know what you did last night?" Her hazel eyes flashing in anger.
She brought out the dagger Ipsen had used to kill the man and unwrapped it, dropping it onto the couch next to Lowen.
"Does this dagger look familiar to you?"
She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down.
"Last night, you—-I mean Ipsen—-killed a man. With that dagger. Do you wake up confused like that a lot? We've got to find a way to keep Ipsen under control."

MorningStar

Tossed onto the couch like a discarded rag doll nearly stole his breath, and the sight of his own dagger, stained with blood, placed beside him delivered the final blow. His eyes widened, then quickly darted to Arya, warily tracking her movements as she paced with her weapon drawn.

"That's my dagger," he uttered dishearteningly. "T-that's my..."

Any further words from the woman were drowned out by the panic resonating violently in his ears.

wandering_giraffe

Arya didn't notice the panic on Lowen's face until midway through her tirade. She stopped and looked at him, dropping her dagger.
"Oh god, what have I done?"
She shouldn't have been that hard on him, and she cautiously approached him.
"Lowen, I'm sorry."

MorningStar

Her apology barely registered, deemed unnecessary in a state of clarity he currently lacked. Instead, his attention fixated on the blade tainted with someone else's blood. In a frantic panic, he began to scoot away from it, nearly toppling over the edge of the couch.

"What have I done? What have I done?!" he shot a pleading look at Arya. "What have I done?!"

Standing up, he pressed himself against the wall, as if fearing the dagger might come alive and target him next. Throughout, his breathing intensified until he managed to regain control.

"I have to turn myself in."

wandering_giraffe

He was starting to lose it.
She concernedly watched him, and then cautiously stood up and approached.
"You can't turn yourself in. I helped you. I'd be implicated for murder!"
She sighed.
"Sit down. Sit down, Lowen."
She was going to hate herself for this.
"This isn't personal, ok? It's to protect both me and you. Please understand."
Arya dug a small section of rope out of her pocket.
"This is only when I can't watch you, ok?" She tied his wrists in front of him, just tight enough to restrict movement, but not tight enough to cut off circulation.
"Are you hungry?" She asked softly.
"I've got some soup if you want some."