Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No rest for the weary [open]

Started by Anonymous, December 22, 2008, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He hadn't come here because he particularly liked being in cities. He hadn't even come here to find work. The reason Marcos had come to Ketra was to satisfy that burning desire he'd had for over a decade now: to travel, to roam, and to see as much as he possibly could. From a little hill just off the main road leading to the city, he stood leaning against his staff, the hood of his cloak thrown back. His tri-colored eyes took in the sight of the cities walls, and the roofs and towers of the buildings within. With a slight smile and a sigh, he pushes himself back onto the road, his staff thumping lightly each time it hit the earth.

The guards at the gate barely even acknowledged his existence as he approached the gate, and only paid enough attention to him as he came close to see that there weren't any apparent weapons. Since he didn't look particularly dangerous, they let him pass into the city, and promptly forgot about him. It was fairly common for a traveler to come by the western road, after all.

After passing through the gateway, Marcos turns to look back at the road he'd come by, again letting out a nigh-indiscernible sigh before continuing his trek deeper into the city. He wasn't interested in staying in any of the larger, flashier inns situated near the gate. He knew that those inns would be comfortable to stay in, but would be much more expensive than his meager funds would allow. Thus, he continued deeper into the city, finally coming to one of the smaller inns that doubled as one of the local taverns. He looks around cautiously for a moment to see if anyone's watching, then lets his grip on the staff loosen. The wood and metal stave shimmers, and then disappears into wisps of smoke and shadow that quickly dissipate. He pushes open the door of the tavern, and winces at the blast of noise and smoke that greets him. He shakes his head with a smile as he walks over to the bar, and begins talking to who he hopes is the innkeeper.

"Sir, do you have any rooms for rent?"

The innkeeper, for that was indeed who it was, looks up at the man addressing him, and then nods before turning his attention back to the glass he was cleaning.

"It'll be two silvers a night. Paid up front. Food's extra." He says gruffly.

Marcos reaches into one of the pockets on his vest, pulling out a small handful of coins. He sorts through them, pulling out two gold coins and laying them on the counter. He puts what's left back in his vest, and looks back up at the innkeeper.

"That's for room and board for the next two weeks." He pauses for a moment as he collects his thoughts. "You wouldn't happen to know of anyone in town needing odd jobs done, would you?"

Anonymous

((Oh God. Sorry for not replying. I had snow issues, then I forgot! I have a goldfish memory!))

It always seemed so....beneath her to have to stay in places like this. She was a Shadow Queen, master of decay and shadow. It just seemed so....anticlimactic. But sadly, one had to have money. And it was rather hard to support oneself on magic alone. Gambling could be fun, but risky when people caught on, and her powers were not always that subtle.

So Senka had been forced to hire her services out to some limp wristed lord with more money then brains. She had to go dig some book out of the family crypt that was outside the town. And crawling with monsters of course.

And Senka wasn't really looking forward to having to go do this on her own. So now she had the fun job of trying to get someone to come along with her. Tossing her long braid over her shoulder, the entropymancer glanced around the room, elbows resting on the table.

The new arrivals question had her perking up slightly, chewing lightly on one of her lip rings. Interesting. He could be a useful addition. Standing up, the slender mage moved over to the man, "Hello there big and tall. You want some work?"

Anonymous

((ooc:  No prob... holidays can be like that))

Marcos hadn't expected to find someone looking to hire so soon, and he blinked once before turning to the young woman who'd addressed him. The sparse lighting in the common room caught his eyes for a moment, making it seem as if his eyes flashed blue as he turned. Once fully turned, the unique coloration of his eyes is completely visible to her, and he leans against the counter, his arms folded across his chest. He quirks his left eyebrow up, and he quickly glances over the woman who'd spoken to him, sizing her up with a look that was more an appraisal of abilities than an admiration of beauty. To the outside observer who didn't know any better, it would easily seem that they were both the same age.

Marcos wasn't as well versed in elf-lore as he would have liked, so for all he knew she was as old, if not older, than he was. Even though he was nearing his fourth decade, he barely looked twenty, a fact that had proven irritating many of the times he'd worked with people his own age.

After the quick moment it took for all this to run through his mind, he cocks his head slightly to the side, and addresses her with a slight smile. His voice drawling slightly with the accent that had been common to his village before it had been destroyed.

"Well, ma'am, that would depend on what kind of work it is. I don't do anything that'll potentially land me in jail."

Anonymous

Senka smiled brightly at the man, her own eyes were quite odd, so the man's tri-colored ones didn't bother her much. She had seem so strange things in her time. Though it did make her suspect that he was more then he appeared.

Flicking her teeth lightly over on of her lip piercings, Senka did her best to post subtly as he looked her over. She was proud of her looks and it always rankled her a bit when people didn't seem to appreciate him.

Oh well, he was probably gay. That was all. And she wasn't really interested in fooling around so it was all for the best. But still...it never did a girls ego any good when people weren't interested. Tilting her head to match the other man's head cock, she smiled again, "It's not illegal. Just a simple retrieval of a book for some prissy noble."

Anonymous

"Ma'am, no offense, but when has retrieving anything ever been simple?" Marcos says with a smile and a chuckle.

His attention drifts off for a moment, his eyes out of focus as he thinks things over. Sure, it could be dangerous, but when did that ever stop him? Besides, doing some work for a noble almost always paid well. Plus, there was the added benefit of getting to see a little more of the area, which was the whole point of coming to Ketra to begin with.

He turns his thoughts and attention back to the present, and looks over the young woman again. He smiles again as he admires her looks this time. Helping out a pretty young woman with getting the book back for the noble would certainly be more fun.

Still smiling, he nods.

"I'm in. My name's Marcos."

Anonymous

The comment got a short laugh from Senka, "Yes. That is quite true. And they never do like to tell you exactly what you'll be going up against. They might have to fork over more money."

Now that she seemed to be getting her right and proper appraisal, Senka let him look a bit, returning the favor. Not really her type, but he wasn't bad looking. Which was good.

"Senka dela Nostari. Nice to meet you." She held out her hand, a swirling black tattoo covering the back of her hand, "Shall we talk a bit more over a drink?"

Anonymous

Still smiling, Marcos took her hand and shook it warmly.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Senka."

He glances around the room after he releases her hand, and spots a table nearby. He quickly leads the way to the table, and pulls out a chair for Senka before seating himself across from her. Once seated, he flags down the waitress.

"Ma'am, could I get some water, and a glass of whatever the lady would like."

The girl nods before turning to Senka to see what she would like to drink, then runs off to get the drinks. Once the drinks come back, Marcos takes a drink of his before setting it down.

"So, what in particular are we going to have to be concerned with about this retrieval?"

Anonymous

Following Marcos to a table, Senka flipped the chair around and straddled it. She liked resting on the back, felt more comfortable to her. She nodded her head as he ordered his drink, smiling at the girl, "Cider if you have it. Big one. Ale if you don't I suppose."

Taking her time to savor the cider, not the best, but really not that bad, Senka doesn't answer right away. Eventually she sets the mug back down, licking her lips free of any of the drink, "Well, as far as I have been told, it's a crypt that's gotten neglected over the years. And some monsters have moved in. Probably undead or scavengers. As far as I know, it's nothing super serious."

She shrugged, then grinned, "But my skills are more magical in nature, so it's nice to have some backup. Physical combat is not my forte."

Anonymous

Marcos waited patiently as Senka took her time to enjoy her drink. He couldn't begrudge her that small luxury, as he'd done similarly in the past. He takes another drink of water, and listens as she lays out the likely threats for the excursion. He makes a disgusted face when the undead are mentioned, and lets out a sigh. Once she's finished, he shrugs and smiles slightly.

"Well, I can keep whatever's down there far enough away for you to blast. Can't really say as I look forward to scrubbing zombie ichor out of my hair, but it's a small price to pay."

Marcos finishes off the water, and then pulls out a few coins and lays them on the table to pay for the drinks. That done, he leans forward, resting his weight on his elbows.

"So, when are we gonna get started?"

Anonymous

Despite the large mug, it doesn't actually take Senka long to finish it. And even with her small size, she doesn't seem effected any by it, "Keeping them away works. I can handle most small fry without to much trouble." She wrinkled her pert nose, the tattoo's on her face twisting slightly, "It's just if there is anything big down there that it's a problem."

Laughing slightly, she drained the mug, smacking it down on the table, "There really isn't an easy way to get that shit out. I've tried. It's nasty."

Tossing her head to get her long bangs out of her face, the mage gave a shrug, "I would rather start tomorrow morning. Give us all day. Undead are often stronger at night. And it's bad luck to be in a graveyard after dark." She ran one pale finger along the wooden table top, "So there aren't any pesky surprises in a fight, I'm an entropymancer. I can make things rot and unrot." That was a rather crude way of describing her art, but Senka found it was just best to not get to fancy with people. Non-mages just never understood, "What about you? How do you fight?"

Anonymous

Marcos nods as he listens to the plan for when they're going to begin. He really didn't know all that much about the undead, other than how to get them to stop moving. When Senka says what her art was, he raises an eyebrow. He'd heard of entropymancers, but he didn't understand what all their abilities entailed. Nonetheless, he could think of several potential applications of such an art. When she asks how he normally fights, he leans back in the chair, leaving one arm leaning on the tabletop.

"I'm moderately skilled with sword, stave, and bow, though I'll probably be spending more time with the first two. Bows don't really do much to the undead."

He turns his hand so that it's facing upward, and a small tongue of red flame springs to life about a quarter inch above his palm.

"I'm also a pyrokinetic."

He smiles a little as the flames slowly turns blue, then green, before beginning to burn white. He closes his hand around the flame, extinguishing it.

"So, do you have any plans for the evening?"

Anonymous

Senka had dealt with undead on a few occasions. People seemed to mistake her for a necromancer and she had taken a number of jobs to take care of an undead problem. Her powers weren't really that great against many undead. She could help rot them farther, and mess around with luck, but really, it wasn't that great.

"Ah! Great. I'm glad you are physically inclined. I can swing a sword or stick enough to not kill me or the people I am around, but really, I want to avoid it if I can help it." The sight of the fire made her eyes widen a bit, "Oh, wow. Impressive. Fire is always handy."

His next question gets a smile and a shake of her head, "No. Just was gonna hang around here all night. Did you have a better idea? I am all ears."

Anonymous

"Well," Marcos starts off, "part of the reason I came to Ketra was to see the sights. Finding some work is nice, but I really came here to see what there was to see. I've had a bit of wanderlust for a while now, and it's not showing any signs of going away any time soon."

He smiles a bit at the thought of the places he'd been so far. He'd seen most of the western forests, and parts of Serendipity and Adela. The capitols and the majority of the two countries were places he'd had yet to have been to. While there were a great many places he wanted to go and see, his path had led him to Ketra, so he was going to take advantage of it while he could.

"If you're familiar with the city, I was kinda hoping you wouldn't mind too much with showing someone the highlights? It's up to you, of course. If you're not all that interested, I'll just wander around for a while and come back here before it gets too late."

Anonymous

"Really? It is one of those perks of traveling. I enjoying getting to see all the interesting sights." Senka stood up, stretching her arms over her head, chest threatening to spill out of her rather revealing top. What could she say? She thought she was pretty and like the attention she got because of it.

"I only sort of know the city. But we can just start walking and see what we find." She grinned at the other man, cocking her head as she waited for an answer, "Or did you have some idea where you wanted to go? I'm game for whatever."

Anonymous

Marcos smiled as Senka stretched. He couldn't tell whether she was putting on a show, trying to get him riled up, or just showing off. Right at the moment, though, he didn't really care. He was just enjoying the view. He'd become accustomed to how some women showed off, and had long since stopped blushing and having his brain vapor-lock over such a sight. Now he simply smiled and appreciated the show.

"Well," he answered, "walking around and finding what there is to find sounds like a pretty good idea. I've heard that the gardens outside the castle entrance are particularly nice this time of year, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to get there. If there's anything you can think of, that's fine, too."

Anonymous

"Ohhh. Gardens. I like that plan." Senka beamed at Marcos, holding out her arm, "I say we just start walking. I'm sure a castle can't be that hard to find after all."

And if that plan failed, they still got to see some of the city. And the strange looking woman was just fine with that. She was just as happy people watching and Marcos seemed a pleasant conversationalist.

Anonymous

Marcos nodded, his smile still present as he rose and pushed his cloak back off of his right shoulder. He might not have looked it, but his father had ingrained in him the honor and chivalry that had been common a hundred years prior to the present. While such behavior had been more common back then, it had eroded by the generations, though there were still a few that acted the part of a gentleman. Marcos encircled Senka's arm with his own, and smiled as he led the way back out to the street. Once back out in the open, he takes a long, deep breath, enjoying the clearer air.

He looks around carefully, and spots the towers and parapets of the castle in the distance, and leads the way at a sedate pace. There wasn't a need to hurry. The garden's weren't going anywhere, after all. As they continued down the pathway, he half-listens to the bantering of those that inhabit the city, his attention more on the sights of the city. The architecture, the random sculpture or fountain, the way the buildings are painted; these are what hold his attention. The strange looks some people give the different pair, though, he's nearly oblivious to. He knows they're there, but he gives the looks little mind. It's the smiles that he sees as people notice them that draw his attention. If he didn't know any better, he'd think that many of those that saw them thought they were courting. This, too, he shrugs off. The fact that he's (hopefully) leading the way to the gardens that he'd heard of slips his mind.

The castle's walls growing larger as they get closer, he finally speaks.

"Just out of curiosity, do your tattoos mean anything? I've met people to whom such markings carry weight, and I was wondering if that was so with you."

He remembers the scar that crosses his face, remembering the pain that particular wound had caused. While it may not have had a meaning or purpose in any culture he'd come into contact with, to him, it was a marking that carried memories and a meaning all its own.

Anonymous

Senka was pleased by his response, beaming at him. Her pale skin was covered in piercings, tattoos and some artful scars, though the most noticeable ones were on her face. She liked to draw attention to her exotic looks, taking pride in her ability to stand out in a crowd.

The mage was more then happy to enjoy the silence, not feeling a need to speak as they made their way toward the towering castle. It was nice to just enjoy the city. His comment brought her attention back to the man with her and she smiled, shaking her head, "No. They don't really have any real meaning. They are purely for vanity."

Nodding her head at him, Senka braved the question, "What about yours? Was that an accident? Some brave tale to go with it?"

Anonymous

He smiled wistfully at her question. He'd known that she'd probably ask about the scar at some point. It *is* a little difficult to not notice a scar that completely crosses someone's face diagonally.

"Not really a brave tale. More like a tale of survival."

He drifts off in his thoughts for a minute, thinking about how much he wants to reveal. He was starting to like Senka, but he was still a long way from trusting her enough to really open up to her.

"For just under a year, leading up to my sixteenth birthday, I had the misfortune of finding myself dragged into the arena that's right outside Zantaric. Neither my family nor I was responsible for it happening. Just bad luck, I guess. During one of my first fights, the other fighter split my face open late into the fight. When he turned to the crowd to gloat over his supposed victory, I stabbed him through the heart, then passed out from the pain."

He shrugs.

"It wasn't long after that they started calling me 'Shadowblade'. I don't much like where the name came from, but I've kept the moniker, nonetheless."

He smiles somewhat more cheerfully, and then continues.

"It's a part of my past that I'm not particularly proud of, but I'm not disgusted with myself, either. I did what I had to in order to survive. I didn't revel in the bloodletting like some of the others did, and I remember those who I faced in the arena during my prayers."

Anonymous

That had not really been what Senka had been expecting. But she knew she should have. Wanderers always seemed to have tragic pasts, painful memories and dramatic names. It seemed to go with the territory. Maybe she should start calling herself something dark and dramatic, like Senka Decaydancer.

She nodded as he spoke, squeezing his arm lightly, "I'm sorry. That must have been rough. I can't even imagine." She smiled at him, "But take comfort. It was only death you gave them. They will take what they learned and be reborn all the better for it."

Tossing her head to clear her hair from her eyes, she turned her attention to the approaching castle, "Well, lets see about finding this garden and talking of less painful things."