Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Very likely (Dris)

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2010, 03:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Good sir, I have come to the castle and will wait here until the regent is available, but I will not accept any hospitality nor will I be manhandled into looking presentable before meeting with the regent."

She was here finally. Caroline Tweets, Master spy and overseer of the Jadenshine branch had lived when her underlings had not. Her tenacity had managed to survive for weeks while making the way from Jadenshine back into Arca, still the hardships lingered in the clothes she wore, bloodied by her own blood, and dirtied further by whatever nature had decided to throw at her.

The plain brown tunic stolen from a farmer revealed nothing now. Yet she caught herself fingering the outer layer right above her chest where large claws had pierced trough ribs and whatnot in order to drag out a beating heart. She had never heard hers since then, still recalling how the beast had slurped it in and left her for dead.

She knew not how she had lived yet here she was fulfilling her sworn oaths in her own way.

The woman's jaw was clenched and the eyes where flickering madly around, like a paranoid person almost expecting the very shadows to come alive and start attacking, the servants only made it worse, as she dismissed the third query for a change of clothes or a bath by threatening to throw things at them.

They vanished again, where did they go too? Tweets wondered, observing her features within a necklace pocket mirror. Her relatively self cut blonde hair was now a dirty black and all over the place. She probably smelled far worse. At least the dirt covered her very distinguishable tribal tattoos as she had intended.

Sounds of someone approaching put her on high alert again, like a mouse she flinched and took a stand, prepared for anything lethal to come her way.

Anonymous

"Excuse me, sir; there is someone here to see you?" The voice jolted Drauis from his work. He glanced up and took in the servant standing at the doorway. It was procedure to knock, even though the door was open, had he knocked? Dris had no idea; he had been to intently working so he would be free in the evening. Drauis cocked his head. He had no appointments, who could be asking to see him? Right after the thought he almost kicked himself for being an idiot. He was the regent for god sakes; everyone wanted to see him about their problems.

He sighed inwardly. There was much to fix, much to help with, since the King had . . . disappeared. All the work he had to do. Drauis did all the work he was supposed to, even a little more, and yet, he was still falling behind, the work piling up. That could only mean that there was much more in trouble then before. Dris must have looked like he just returned to his work because the servant spoke up once again.

"Sir?"

Drauis looked up again and sighed. "I heard you the first time, you may go." The servant scurried away and Dris stared at his hands for a moment before he stood. He might as well get it over with. Every time he met with someone that wanted to see him, they always seemed to get crazier and crazier. He headed out the door and did not glance back. All that was behind him was more work. At least now he got to stretch his legs. It was quite a distance from his office to the waiting room, but he arrived there swiftly to see probably the most dirtied up woman he had ever seen in his life. She was staring right at him, a look of paranoia in her eyes.

"Good Morning," Drauis said, his eyes flickered over the dirty figure in front of him. "I am the regent, what can I do for you?" he paused. "Actually, I have heard that you decline to take any hospitality from us until you saw me . . . now that I am here and you have seen me, how about you go ahead and take a bath and we will provide you with a clean set of clothes?" he raised an eyebrow. "Or is that unsatisfactory to you?"

Anonymous

"You don't know do you?" A slight snicker in disbelief that she was the first to reach higher authority and bring the news, his mocking tone behoved her well. He was at first glance like the rest of them, probably too rich to be bothered or care.

"Your entire Jadenshine intelligence division with one exception has been annihilated, every cell either cut from communicating, forced to cooperate with the current high lord or outright dead within a few days." Another insane giggle escaping her lips followed up by hugging herself to grasp at some level of comfort.

"I don't even know why my body is still in one piece and not shattered broken and in pieces like my comrades yet you are asking for me to take a bath? For all I know the dirt is what magically glued me back together."

Anonymous

"If you were talking about that, I knew a while ago, yet I could do nothing," Drauis said, grimacing. This woman seemed to have left her mind somewhere. Though Dris could hardly blame her. If it had happened to him, he probably would be half insane. He could hear the mocking tone but choose to ignore it, his patience had long since been fortified. But something troubled him.

"Yes I do see your point, do you mind if I have one of the wizards around here check to make sure that you don't fall apart at first sign of touching water?" Drauis said. "I know I must sound like some snobby rich man, but I cannot do anything else as of now, I want to make sure that the one person who survive will stay that way."

He paced around the room for a bit. "There is much for you and I to discuss, I want you to tell me everything that happened, but I want you to be completely together and not in pieces when I talk to you . . ."

Anonymous

Her message had been delivered, and Caroline found it increasingly difficult to hold her tension together. Having been fuelled by rage and driven by anger so far it was hard to let it go. Tears, a slip and suddenly the world was spinning. Everything she had been holding back released in one moment and as if something had snapped she kneeled, eyes looking up into the ceiling like a puppet with severed strings. "I don't even know how I managed to get here anymore, I just had to."

A shock of terror as she writhed in pain, for a moment she could see her partners shredded face on a pile with the rest of her comrades. They where all gone, disappeared inside some vast darkness that could shake fear into even those with iron will and great determination.

But her eyes closed in peace with herself as the entire world inside her mind unravelled, she could see her youth, the harsh training regimen. Parental tutelage as spymasters dedicated to the crown. "Sorry for the lack of subtlety, I was afraid I could not get to you without blunt truth and the royal seal. Probably gave myself away a thousand times. We all failed the crown. It deserves better than me." With that she drew breath, looking for her knife.

Feverish spasms rode her body yet again but her voice had remained firm and hollow, Eyes like red suns hidden behind thin slits trying to close permanently as if she was still clinging to life.