Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood, books and horses

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2010, 07:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Stumbling forward, Zarifa clutched her side. Blood was dripping down her side from arrow would she had there. She had lost her pack somewhere a few miles back, but she still had the books clutched to her chest. Blood loss was making her vision blur and it was a struggle to keep one foot in front of the other. But she had to keep going.

The goblins seemed to have been lost, she couldn't hear the screaming anymore. But that meant nothing. Could have just decided to be quite. Coughing, Zarifa shook her head, trying to clear it. She could make out a house in the distance, but judging how far away it was was difficult.

One step at a time. Just take one step at a time. This would have been easier in her dog form, but she couldn't carry the books that way. Almost there. The house was so close...just a little farther. Zarifa's vision swam and down she went, twisting even as she feel to protect the books in her arms.

Anonymous

As Eoghan Dreyer galloped away from the small, white brick riding school, the world became a quiet place. The hoofs of his horse making dull noises on the damp earth, its rhythmic breathing and the rustle of leaves were the only audible things around him. But they were all welcome. It was what Eoghan loved about this area. Large patches of uninhabited space, people were scarce and nature was rich. No voices in his head, no one screaming for attention without spoken words -- just his own inner voice. It was what he imagined heaven to be like.

After about ten minutes uncontrolled riding across the countryside, Eoghan took back some of the reins and slowed the horse down. They had called him Bronco for the time being. He decided to take it easy on the animal today, because it was only yesterday that it had become truly obedient to Eoghan. Some small exercises and a long ride through the woods would be enough, sensed Eoghan. His gift with horses was all but lost.

The tall man was just about to give the horse some commands, when he heard a voice in the distance. Instantly, he halted the animal's every motion and closed his eyes. It took him a while, but finally he decided that the voice was in his head, no one had actually been calling out to him. He listened intently, for something in the tone had him on his guard.
Have to keep going... Goblins gone... House...
The words were confusing and erratic, and Eoghan had a hard time making sense of what he heard.
So close... just a little farther...
The voice trailed off as that of someone falling asleep, and instantly Eoghan's eyes flew open. Swiftly, he scanned the horizon for clues, and just as he thought the source of the voice was out of his visual he saw a tiny black speck disappear in the tall grass. With the alarm bells in his head ringing at full volume, he sped up Bronco in the direction of the speck. The voice had been female, and arriving at it, it proved indeed to be a woman. Eoghan jumped off Bronco just beside her, his eyes instantly catching on the blood that was seeping out of her side. That didn't look good. The second thing he saw, were the books she seemed to be clutching desperately to her chest, even in her subconscious state of mind. Eoghan didn't attempt to make out the titles on them -- he couldn't read -- but he didn't doubt that they were important. And the part about the goblins didn't put his mind at ease for even one bit. Without further ado, he shoved his hands beneath the woman -- books and all -- and set her upright on the horse. Holding her up with one hand, he ascended behind her, and wrapped one arm around her and her books to keep her from falling off. Then he set off towards his home, with as much speed as he dared to risk.

Forty minutes later, Eoghan stood next to his own bed, where he had put the girl in all his hurry. The sheets were rather bloody, but her wound had been bound, and she wasn't bleeding anymore. The books were next to the bed, piled up, after Eoghan had tried to wipe off as much blood as possible. He studied the girl, curious as to what happened. It was fascinating for him to watch people sleep. He could be with them, and still everything could be quiet. Occasionally, he could hear flashes of dream pass by, if it was a very realistic and strong dream. Eoghan tilted his head while he buried his hands in the pockets of his black animal skin pants. He didn't want her to wake up just yet.

Anonymous

It was a while before Zarifa awoke, her eyes snapping open and sitting bolt upright, wincing in ain as she frantically started looking around until her eyes found the books sitting next to the bed, "Oh thank the gods you are alright!"

It was only after she was sure the books were there and unharmed did the woman start to take stock of her surroundings. She was in a bed, that was nice, and it was warm and her side was bandaged. Riiiight. The memories came back to her. She had gotten shot. Damned goblins, hopefully it hadn't been poisoned or anything. She heard that they would dip their arrows in feces to make wounds caused by them fester.

Finally, the shifter managed to notice the man in the room with her. She blinked at him, then beamed, "Ah! Hello! Are you the one that saved me? Thank you very much. Sorry there wasn't much to look at when you bandaged me up. Can I ask where I am?"

Her side was throbbing now, not enjoying all the movement she was doing, but she chose to ignore it. It wasn't the first time she had been shot and best to put on a good face for her rescuer!

Anonymous

Eoghan had been prepared for the rush of thoughts that would be streaming through the woman's head, but not this many. He stumbled backwards as if hit in the face, staring at the woman's completely awake and clear face. This is NOT normal! he thought, incredulous. She should at least be dizzy with the amount of blood that she had lost. Normal people would need days to recover, only able to lay in bed and forced to eat solid, healthy food full of vitamins and proteins.

Eoghan shook his head, going over everything he heard, trying to separate the thinking things from the speaking things. When he realised she had actually said the thing about "not having much to look at", instead of thinking it, and in complete neutrality instead of sarcastic, he was struck with awe again. He had never met anyone who said such things out loud. They always thought things like that.

"Err," he started, completely mixed up and stumbling over his words. "Yes, I found you and brought you here. Your wound looks fine. You should be able to move along in a couple of days. Uhm... how are you feeling?"

Anonymous

Zarifa blinked at the man as he stumbled back, not really sure what had happened. Was he really that offended she made the joke about her lack of breasts? Maybe he was just very prudish. Tilting her head, she watched him, curious.

Being a shifter had some advantages, though the wound would take a while to close up, but she often forgot other people didn't know what she was or what she could do. She just wished she could heal as fast as other creatures she had heard of.

"I'm sore and starving. Do you have anything to eat? Replacing that much blood is hard on the body." She smiled again, feeling slightly awkward. She wasn't trying to make him uncomfortable, "Um, my name is Zarifa. What's yours?"

Anonymous

Eoghan rubbed his face, trying to block out the overload of information. So she was a shapeshifter. Many people would consider this a good thing to know about someone, but Eoghan saw it as a private issue and didn't want to know about these things. It was like telling people he was telepathic for no reason. They would shun him, treat him with the greatest possible distrust, and send the foulest thoughts they could muster his way. If he were like all people, he would have to distrust this woman -- what was her name again? -- now, but all he could do was pretend like he didn't know. As always.

"Uhm... food?" he pondered out loud, sifting through the mass of words in his head. "Yes. Yes of course." He started moving out of the room, and only when he was in the door opening he turned back and looked the woman in the eyes for the first time. "I'm Eoghan."

Ten minutes later he returned with two buttered slices of brown bread on a wooden plate, accompanied by some cheese and ham. "I'm sorry," he muttered while he handed her the wooden board, "I'm not a very good cook at all. You will have to wait for dinner until the rest of my house returns."

Anonymous

Zarifa gave a small, nervous laugh, wishing she knew what the hell was going on. Well, she had just sort of shown up on his doorstep, or where ever it was he found her, bleeding and made him take care of her. That would make most people grumpy she was sure, "Nice ta meet ya."

When he left, Zarifa reached over and snagged one of the books, running her hands over it and checking it for damage. There was a lot of wear on it, from living with those goblins for so long, but it still seemed to be in decent shape. Thank goodness.

She had just started her examination on the next book when Eoghan returned and her face lit up at the sight of food, "Lovely! Right now I could eat a raw horse, so this is perfect!" One down side to being in human form was she couldn't wag her tail!

Taking the board, it wasn't long before she was shoveling food into her face, talking between bites, "Well, actually, I have eaten raw horse before. Not as bad as you might think. I'll pay you back for all this, I promise."

It was just so nice having company again! This trip had left her away from interaction for far to long.

Anonymous

Eoghan stared at her, feeling his blood turn cold. He hadn't been comfortable around this woman before, though that had nothing to do with her, but if there was ever a wrong moment to say something like "eating raw horse", it would be right now.

"Don't ever say that again in here," he said quietly, his voice low and dangerous. "This is a place where we love horses as our equals, care for them, train them to be faithful companions. It is a sanctuary. Horses are my only friends. So never talk to me about killing horses."

He was still staring coldly at her while a new set of voices filled his head. "My colleagues are here," he continued in the same tone. With that, he turned around and left the room. How dare she!? he thought furiously. One of the few buttons one shouldn't push with Eoghan -- and unknowingly, she had found the one that cut deepest.

"Eoghan!" came in Rusty's surprised voice. "I didn't expect to find you here!" Shouldn't you be out in the woods hiding from humanity?

"It wasn't really my intention to be here already, either," answered Eoghan darkly. "I found a woman. She was hurt. I treated her. Now she is in my room, recovering. She needs food."

Haven't you given her any?? "Of course, I'll start dinner right away. But first I think I'll meet her." Maybe she's hot!

Eoghan cringed. Just lovely. Rusty was the only one that was aware of Eoghan's gift, and the bright smile disappeared from his face. Oops. He coughed apologetically and quickly left the room. In Eoghan's bedroom, he indeed found a woman, though not as beautifully curved as he would have hoped. But overall, she wasn't a complete disappointment.

"Why hello," Rusty said sympathetically. "Eoghan told me you were hurt. My name is Rusty, I am the owner of this riding school. Want to tell me what happened?"

Anonymous

Zarifa was rather stunned by Eoghan's reaction to her comment. She hadn't meant anything by it and was a little to much a part of the circle of life to consider eating a horse a bad thing. She had been starving, it had been a good hunt and the creature had died well. Generally she only got that reaction when it came up she had eaten humans before. Humans just did not understand how nature worked.

"Uh, I'm sorry...I had meant no offense...I-" She wilted slightly when he turned and stormed out. That had not really gone as she had planned. Do some light joking, bond a little, enjoy company after all her time alone.

Pouting slightly, like a scolded child, Zarifa went back to eating. How was she supposed to know he raised horses here? Sure, it smelled of them, but so did most stables! It was unfair! She was still lost in her dark thoughts when she heard footsteps.

They weren't Eoghan's steps and she was curious now. When he spoke, Zarifa relaxed slightly, unaware of how tense she had been. He wasn't angry! Thank the gods! She smiled at the man, "Hello Rusty. It's nice to meet ya. My name is Zarifa. I'm a book hunter for the Lornian Library!" The last was said with no small amount of pride, "And I was recovering these books, "A gesture to the ones stacked near her, "from a tribe of goblins. One got a lucky shot I'm afraid. I passed out somewhere and Eoghan found me. Though, I would much rather you embellish how dashing and heroic I was if you feel the urge to retell the story. Play up the rescue part, downplay the whole got-shot-and-collapsed-part."

Anonymous

Rusty grinned and bowed slightly. "But of course, miss. I wouldn't think to say anything else. But now I have to go make dinner. I just came to see if Eoghan had taken good care of you. I will have him bring you a plate later."

He was more than aware that Eoghan knew him well enough to hear his every thought loud and clear, even when not in the same room, or hell, even when they were over a mile apart. And indeed, as he spoke, Eoghan was rolling his eyes and groaning softly. Of course Rusty possessed the talent of talking freely to people, and he wouldn't hear what Eoghan had heard. Zarifa wasn't likely to make the same mistake -- talking about killing and eating horses -- again any time soon. He waited for Rusty to re-enter the kitchen and threw him a disapproving gaze.

"What?" said Rusty innocently. "She's nice!" What the hell is your problem, mate?

"Nothing," muttered Eoghan, turning away from his long-time mentor and boss. "Excuse me?" said Rusty sharply. Eoghan realised he had answered the man's thought instead of his spoken question, and waved the comment away with an arm gesture. "Never mind. Didn't you have dinner to make?"

"Hmm," was Rusty's grumbled answer. Eoghan left the house and returned to the stables, to take care of Bronco. The animal was still tied to a tree outside of the stables, and it deserved better than that. "Don't worry, mate," Eoghan quietly spoke in the horse's ear. "No one is thinking of eating you."

Anonymous

"Wonderful! I knew I could count on you Rusty!" Besides, he was pretty cute. She had always liked older men and Rusty hadn't let himself go. She had made Eoghan mad, but hopefully she could make that up to him. This parade of attractive men into her room was nice.

That was when it occurred to her that she probably looked crap. Zarifa wilted slightly, sinking down into her blankets a little, not wanting to think about that, "Thank you. For letting me stay here. Eoghan too. Though I think I made him a little angry before I could properly thank him for rescuing me."

Once she was alone, Zarifa flopped onto the bed. This wasn't so bad at all, despite her side still throbbing. A few more days and hopefully she could get out of this bed. She healed faster than a human, but really not fast enough for her tastes. It was nice here, though she couldn't stand being stationary.

Curse her having to ditch her pack! She had had a mirror in there. And her makeup and her not work clothes and drat it all! But it had been too heavy and the little bastard goblin had been clinging to it. Reaching down, Zarifa stroked the book in her lap. It had been worth it though.

She went back to carefully checking the books to make sure they were clean and as uninjured as possible. Sleep was calling her, but the books were more important.

Anonymous

When Eoghan returned to the house, Rusty was already halfway through making dinner, and the Argos brothers were making merry the kitchen, both of them with a mug of beer in their hand, reflecting on how incredibly awesome they had been in training today. Apparently the pair of them had caught a wild horse, one of the Amasi, which were rare and hard to catch. Jackson slapped Eoghan on his back when he entered.

"What have you been up to, mate?" he asked with a wide grin. Scare off any more goodlooking ladies? Eoghan suppressed the need to roll his eyes and ignored the comment. He unwillingly turned down the woman that appeared to be interested in him rather harshly, because usually their heads weren't quiet enough to give him the chance to focus on being polite. Women were even worse then men. So many incoherent thoughts ran through their heads, varying greatly on topics. Next to them, men were always dependable. There were only three things they thought about. Women. Money. And a personal hobby of theirs. In this house, it was horses or cooking or drinking.

"Well, Eoghan saved a damsel in distress today," answered Rusty for him. Both Jackson and Red stared at Rusty. Jackson choked on a swig of beer, and Red blinked. "Excuse me?" he asked, baffled. Eoghan grinned. It wasn't often that their minds were completely blank like this. Rusty ignored them. "Eoghan, I should think that the lady in question would like to clean up a little. Perhaps it would be a good idea to bring her the means."

Eoghan nodded and disappeared to the hallway just before Red and Jackson started coming to their senses and demanded an explanation from Rusty. Eoghan stood still a moment, closing his eyes, and managed to ban the voices from his mind. It took a great deal of effort to do this, and he could only keep it up for an hour at a time (though this depended on how many people he had to shut out), but it was worth it right now. He found his way to the bathroom and took a basket from one of the higher shelves. Avery, Red and Jackson sometimes had company from one of the women from town, and they left things behind sometimes. Now they had a whole collection of mirrors, combs, makeup equipment that Eoghan wouldn't even begin to name, and a bunch of ribbons. Sometimes even pieces of clothes got left behind, but they were generally thrown away.

Eoghan exchanged the bathroom for Rusty's room, where he would find some clothes for Zarifa. Rusty was the shortest of them all, so chances were she might fit in some of his clothes. Taking a pair of pants and a shirt he knew Rusty never wore, Eoghan stepped back into the hallway. He made a mental note that it needed cleaning sometime tomorrow. For a house full of men, it was surprisingly clean and orderly. Technically, they all had the obligation to clean when they saw something was dirty, but Aidan and Eoghan were the ones that cared the most. The rest just took care of their own rooms while they took care of the rest of the house. With the exception of the kitchen, which was Rusty's domain.

He stepped back into his own room, where Zarifa had sunk away between the blankets and pillows. He placed the set of clothes on the end of her bed, and a bowl with clear water, a washcloth and the Basket of Female Things on a small table in the corner of the room. "I brought you some stuff to clean up," he muttered in her direction, sensing she hadn't intended to hurt his feelings earlier. "Rusty's idea. I brought you some of his clothes too. Uhm. If you need any help with changing just uhm... let me know."

Anonymous

When Eoghan entered, Zarifa gave him a hesitant smile, not sure how to act around him after his blow up at her earlier. Was he still angry with her? She felt bad her attempt at humor had failed so badly, "Ah...thank you. Um...I'm really sorry about earlier...I didn't mean to upset you."

Leaning over, she examined the things he had brought her and she couldn't keep from perking back up. There must be some woman here, probably wives of the men or something. Regardless, she was excited that she would finally get to look presentable!

Moving carefully, Zarifa moved to sit on the edge of the bed, "Well, you already bandaged me, so there isn't much point in being bashful." She had never really gotten the whole human naked thing. Naked was naked and not that big of a deal, "I don't think I can bend over enough to do my pants."

Anonymous

"It's alright," said Eoghan quietly in reply to Zarifa's apology. He had expected one -- no need to be a mindreader for that. "You couldn't have known." You couldn't have known that by insulting horses, you insulted my dearest friends. Eoghan unfolded the pants, spreading them out on the bed so they were ready when he needed them. He had hardly a problem with helping Zarifa with her pants, other than the fact that it might be embarrassing for her. He didn't get together with women often, which could have resulted in a complete retreat from the female front, but with one look inside their heads he was able to drop the whole taboo of being naked. They were always fussing over if they were good enough or not, fussing over shaving, how their hair looked, if they were attractive enough, if they could live up to his expectations...

Complete futility, was Eoghan's rational conclusion. And now that he helped Zarifa out of her pants, quietly and without speaking, there was not a single trace of humiliation to be found on his face. "Here," he muttered, shoving Rusty's pants over her legs, closing them on her waist. While enjoying the lovely silence in his head, he helped her out of her shirt too, handing her the wet washcloth so she could clean up, and afterwards he gave her a hand with Rusty's shirt. Too much stretching wouldn't be good for the wound.

Obviously, all the clothes were too large, but that didn't matter that much right now. At least she could feel clean again. Last but not least, Eoghan handed Zarifa the Basket of Female Things. "I figured you might want to brush your hair or something. Just use anything you need."

Anonymous

He had big hands. She always liked a man with big hands, though it really wasn't the time to be thinking about that stuff. She didn't seem flustered or bothered by Eoghan's help, he wasn't acting like it was anything than what it was, so she didn't see feel the need to try and cover up.

And it felt so good to clean up a little. She made a pleased sound, deep in her throat as she wiped the sweat and blood and dirt that had still been clinging to her torso, "Nothing beats getting clean, ya know? It just feels so good!"

The clothes hung off her thin frame, though the pants were a few inches too short on her long legs. Better than her old clothes though, she was going to have to see if she could salvage the shirt. Clothes were expensive and she already was going to have to try and replace her other set.

"Oh, yes! Thank you, that was sweet of you. My hair is gonna be a rat's nest, I'm sure." She had left it in the messy braid she had arrived in, but now she was going to have the chance to brush it out. Ah! Make up too! Bless whoever had provided this.

Finding a comb, Zarifa carefully sat back on the bed and started the long process of brushing out her hip length hair, "Can you give my thanks to whoever these belong too? Is it Rusty's wife?" She wanted to keep Eoghan in the room with her, really anybody in the room with her. Being alone in the quite room was making her desperate for conversation.

"And, um, so, you raise horses here? Tell me about that. I've never been to a place like this before."

Anonymous

Silently, Eoghan admired Zarifa's long autumn coloured hair. She may find it a rat's nest, but rat's nest or not, he thought it was pretty. He watched as she pulled the comb through her hair with difficulty, sensing she was not done talking to him yet. And he proved to be right. He shook his head.

"No... Rusty isn't married. Neither of us are." He hesitated for a moment before continuing. "Me and Rusty aren't the only ones in this house. There are four more of us. Their names are Red, Jackson, Avery and Aidan. And uhm... none of us are married or with someone right now. And Rusty is sort of a terminal bachelor. He doesn't do well in a relationship. But some of the guys have the habit of bringing women back after a night in town, and they... usually sleep over. And it has happened more than once that they forgot some of their stuff." He gestured at the basket on the bed. He wasn't sure if she actually wanted to know that, but well... she asked.

Eoghan smiled quietly when she asked about the horses. At least she was showing her good will. "We catch wild horses and tame them here. Then we make them suitable as riding animals, with all the skills they will need. Most of them we sell, some of them we do competitions with, and we all have one horse of our own."

He pondered for a while on what next to say. "When you feel better I could show you what we do. Perhaps you might feel differently about eating horses then." He had said it in a friendly way, his voice completely free of contempt or judgment. Eoghan was not one to linger in the past. What happened was over. According to him it was no use holding on to things that had passed.

Anonymous

The comb through her long hair caused Zarifa to wince, carefully and slowly working out the tangles. It really was very impractical for her line of work, but she just couldn't bring herself to cut it short. She really would get mistaken for a guy all the time if she had short hair. Not happening!

"Oh, well that is a full house! I hadn't realized the place was so large. I'm impressed!" Her hands faltered slightly as she combed her hair when he mentioned where the comb was from. Oh. Lovely. She was using several unknown woman's things. Just don't think about it.

The comment about eating horses almost had her responding before she quickly closed her mouth. She really didn't think he was going to want to know that she respected horses as a prey and respected their sacrifice to the circle of life the way she did all her food. Humans tended to be a little irrational about things like that, so she just nodded, "They are magnificent animals."

Anonymous

It didn't take a telepathic to see Zarifa wasn't being quite honest. Eoghan studied the woman's face for a moment, wondering what to expect. It was then that Rusty came back inside. "I figured I'd bring you your food myself, since my friend here is taking his time with you!" he said upbeat, squeezing Eoghan's shoulder with his free hand. He handed the plate in his other hand to Zarifa, with a cloth beneath it to prevent burning her legs or her hands. "It's hot," he warned, once more eyeing the composition of the seasoned beef with a thick gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans. At least she would get a nutritious meal.

"Perhaps you would like to sit here for dinner, Eoghan?" Rusty continued, offering him to bring him a plate as well. Eoghan cringed when he thought of the reactions of the other men when he stayed in here for so long, but nevertheless he gave Rusty a quick nod. Anything to postpone the avalanche of questions that would surely rain down on him when he returned to "public property".

Within seconds, Rusty was back with a second plate and some cutlery, which he handed to Zarifa as well. "Enjoy your meals," he winked before leaving the room. Eoghan pulled a wooden chair out of the corner and placed it a couple of feet away from the bed. "So uhm," he tried to start a conversation in between two mouthfuls, "what exactly happened that caused your injuries?"

Anonymous

The food looked and smelled heavenly. Her stomach growled and only the fact that Eoghan was in the room kept her from just diving in sans cutlery. But she wasn't so far gone she didn't care, so the shifter sat, staring at the food, her mouth watering.

"Thank you so much Rusty. This smells amazing and I can't wait to dig in." Once the fork was in her hand, she fell on her food. It was several moments before she slowed down enough to actually respond to the question.

Licking her lips, she smiled, "Ah, yes. Sorry. I bet that is a rather pressing question. Didn't mean to keep you in the dark. I'm a book hunter and I was looking for a lost library around here. I found the ruins and it's there, but a goblin...uh...herd? Do you know what they call their groups? Well, anyway, they were there and I got caught. I managed to grab the one, and once I'm healed up, it's back for the rest!"

Anonymous

Eoghan arched his eyebrows, wisely stifling an immediate reaction by stuffing his mouth with food. Once he swallowed, he had managed to formulate a rather more subtle question than the one he had almost blurted out before.

"A book hunter... that sounds interesting," he started carefully. "But don't you think it's a little dangerous to go back now that they know what you're doing here? They could well be on the lookout for you still."

He pushed his food around his plate a bit, wondering what had gotten into her to go at it alone, anyway. "And don't you have someone to go with you? It seems slightly irresponsible to me to just jump in there on your own."