Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I shall stop you, evil-doer!

Started by Anonymous, April 18, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He had been traveling with Sir Crow for a while, though they were still in Moonspear. They were supposed to be leaving the province soon, and Sebastian was thrilled. He had never been outside of Serendipity and he couldn't wait.

Everything was so different and exciting. He had never been to this city before and he was wandering the market place. Sir Crow had to go do...something. He wasn't sure Sir Crow liked him much, but Lord Lucian had said that was just how he was and to not take it personally. Plus, there were lots and lots of stories about how heroes first had to impress their teachers before they would like them.

He had Vulcan as a teacher, but he hadn't seen him in a while. Not since he had been dropped off at home. Which meant it was a little hard to learn from him, but Sebastian wasn't daunted! It just meant he needed to prove himself and become better before Vulcan was ready to teach him.

That was probably what Sir Crow was for. To get him good enough that Vulcan would teach him again. So now Sebastian was on the lookout for evil to stop and people to save and heroic things!

That was when Sebastian saw him! A vile monster that was threatening a young boy! There was no time to waste! Leaping into action, Sebastian got a running start, hurling himself at the horned man, arms locking around his waist, "Run boy run! I'll hold off this villain while you flee!"

Rhindeer

"Now c'mon, kiddo. Give it back nicely," Jeori said, voice stern and level. A simple visit to the marketplace just had to become awkward when some little street rat decided to pick-pocket him. Unfortunately for the boy, he hadn't been slick enough; he'd fumbled, and Jeori had felt him take his coin purse and had reacted reflexively, hand whipping out to grab the kid's wrist.

He kept a firm grip on the boy, not hard enough to bruise but tight enough that he couldn't wriggle free, though it didn't stop him from trying. Crying out protests, that he didn't do it, the kid had his other hand hidden behind his back. It would have been easy to take his stuff back and let him off easy, but Jeori preferred the more direct, humiliating route: confronting the thief and making them return his belongings. Y'know, give 'em a little scare to make them think twice next time, especially when they were someone so young as this.

Maybe they'd make better choices in the future.

Jeori loomed over the child, tall and muscular with fangs that flashed when he spoke, curved antlers, and long ears that were currently laid flat in annoyance, and though the boy cowered, he still clung stubbornly to the purse. Brave kid.

"I know ya took it. Now, I don't wanna have to turn ya in, so just give it back and--the hell?"

That was when a small body collided with his, arms grabbing him from behind, and he he heard someone shouting for the boy to run and--what, villain? Aw, fuck!

While the collision hadn't moved him much, the effect not dissimilar to colliding with a brick wall, it had surprised him. Enough that he'd loosened his grip on the thief, who yanked free and wasted no time in fleeing. With a muffled curse, Jeori reached around and grabbed the new kid by the collar, trying to detach him.

"You in league with that thief, boy?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Slamming into the man was a little like hurling himself into a wall. But Sebastian wasn't daunted! He lifted his head, still struggling and straining to push the man over, the brim of his floppy hat smooshed up against Jeori's back, "Thief?! Ha! I am not in league any thief! Villain! I have thwarted your evil plans!"

Pulling back a little, Sebastian huffed slightly, dark skin flushed with effort, "Now give in and come along quietly. The proper authorities shall administer your punishment!"

Rhindeer

"...Oh, have you?" Jeori said, staring down at the top of the kid's head. Well, he had to admit, the kid had willpower. Strength? Nope, he hadn't managed to move Jeori an inch. But what he lacked there, he made up for in sheer determination.

Letting go of the boy's collar, he crossed his arms over his chest and settled in to watch the show. His purse was long gone by now--a shame, but he never kept more in there than he was willing to lose--and at the moment, he was too baffled and amused to have it in him to pursue some starving kid.

He kind of wanted to see where this was going.

With a sigh, he shook his head. "Well, damn. You got me. Clearly, I'm a villain. But before you throw me to the authorities, may I ask one question?"

He bent down a little closer. "What tipped you off?"

Ha! The man was plainly cowed by his raw heroism. This was going too well! When the man leaned close, Sebastian got a look at those wicked teeth and he felt a small shiver go down his spine.

But now wasn't the time to worry. He had him right where he wanted. Still clinging to the man's waist, Sebastian pursed his lips, "Well, you see, you were threatening the boy. And you are large and horned and look generally unsavory."

"Antlers," Jeori corrected, raising a finger. "They're antlers, not horns."

"Oh. Well..." That actually made Sebastian pause a little. Horns were bad, but he wasn't so sure about antlers. But it wasn't good to show weakness to the enemy, "Regardless, I have beaten you foul doer. So come along."

Standing, he wrapped his delicate hand around Jeori's wrist and tugged, "Now if you would please tell me where the proper authorities are, we shall see you properly punished."

It was an effort not to crack a grin, but Jeori schooled his expression into what he hoped was a properly subdued and beaten one. Hard to do when your opponent was, what? Skinny as a girl and came to his elbow?

"Yes, yes, you have beaten me. Clearly you have outmatched my generally unsavory self pound for pound," he began, but then the boy started talking about the authorities and...

That did it. Jeori just about lost it.

He stared down at the kid for a second, still standing in the same place though he'd let the boy pull his arm, and his lips twitched. He made a small sound in his throat that sounded almost like choking as he held in his laughter, biting down on the inside of his cheek. "Oh. Oh dear. I'm afraid I don't know..."

"Oh." Sebastian's expression turned to one of serious concentration, "Well, I suppose I can ask."

He frowned, peering up through his hat at Jeori, "...Why are you making that weird face?"

Jeori cleared his throat and once again smoothed out his features. "It's a fear grimace," he said, shifting his weight. "So. You're really sure I'm evil, huh?"

"Well, yes. I mean, why else would you be attacking innocent villagers?" That was what evil people did. Showed up in villages and hurt people. It was his job as a hero to put a stop to it. Crow would be proud!

"You sure I was attacking that kid?" Jeori asked, arching an eyebrow, lips curving in a slight smile.

Sebastian just snorted, "I have eyes."

"Yeah, you most surely have eyes," Jeori agreed, nodding and still fighting back laughter. "But ever heard the phrase, looks can be deceiving?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Well, for instance, what wouldja say if I told you I wasn't attacking that kid, but was trying to get back the coin he pick-pocketed?"

That caused Sebastian to pause, his mouth dropping open, "What? ...But...you...he..."

Jeori grinned, fangs flashing. "But I've got evil antlers?"

"And you were holding him and he looked scared and you have a very unsavory look...."

This was just like with Vulcan all over again. Sebastian's cheeks flushed and he let go of the man's hand, "I...uh...made a mistake...didn't I?"

"Yep." Reaching down, Jeori casually straightened the kid's hat on his head, where it had fallen a little crooked during his freakin' flying tackle. "But that's alright, kid. Think of it as a life lesson. Next time, it might be wise to make sure you're smiting the right person."

Sebastian reached up to adjust his hat, frowning as his brain tried to work all this out, "Wait! But you could just be saying that! How do I know this isn't a lie?"

"Aha, good question. And, well, ya don't." Smiling, Jeori glanced in the direction the boy had run off. "Because it seems the kid split. Funny he didn't stay to thank his rescuer, hmm?"

"Well, I did tell him to flee. You do have very evil teeth you know. And what if our fight had gotten messy? Besides, only girls stick around. Or sidekicks."

"Are teeth really capable of evil?" Jeori asked, then chuckled and shook his head. "Never mind. So, girls and sidekicks. That's how it works, huh? Just like in the stories?"

"Oh...um...yes. I think they can be. I'm sure." Sebastian nodded his head, "Oh yes. I am going to become a hero you see."

"A hero?" Oh man. Everything suddenly made sense. This kid was serious, and he was seriously playing out some scene from an epic tale. Jeori stared down at the boy for a moment, torn between finding that damned adorable and damned amusing. He was just so earnest about it, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"A hero. Well, that's quite a goal you've got."

"Of course. I am going to be the greatest hero ever. I've got two teachers. Sir Crow and Mr. Vulcan. Sir Crow is taking me on a very important mission." Sebastian's expression was very serious as he stared up at Jeori, not finding the situation amusing at all. This was his dream.

"...Sir...Crow?" Jeori blinked. He wasn't sure what to make of this Vulcan fellow, but Crow...was that an actual crow? The kid seemed to live in a rather idealistic world so it seemed possible. But he only smiled and nodded, not wanting to crush him or anything. For all that he'd tackled him (or tried to) and accused him of being an evil monster, he couldn't find it in him to be angry. Anyone else said that to him and it would have probably been hurtful, but this was just far too comical.

And kind of cute.

"So what kinda mission is this...Sir Crow taking you on?"

"Oh, it's a very important one. We were sent by Lord Lucian to go destroy a vampire in the Thunderbacks. Oh...um..." Sebastian frowned, "Well, it's probably okay to tell you because you seem like you are good. This happened before with Mr. Vulcan. Heroes in the stories never have this problem. Maybe because I'm not a full hero yet?"

He stared up at Jeori, expecting him to have an answer for this.

Vampires...in the Thunderblacks...sent by Lord Lucian himself? If he'd ever doubted the boy's creativity--and he hadn't yet--then this erased all doubt. He'd not touch the subject, though. He wasn't sure he could handle it with a straight face.

"By 'this' do you mean this entire case of..." He pursed his lips, looking for the right term. "Mistaken identity? Aw, shoot, kid. That happens all the time in the stories. But usually early on before the hero is fully realized, so...sure. I'll bet that's why it's happening. Just one of the many trials that faces a hero on their journey."

Sebastian gave Jeori a stern look, "Are you mocking me sir?" He kept getting the feeling that Jeori was laughing at him.

"Me? No, no." Jeori raised his hands in a passivising gesture. "I wouldn't dare."

Sebastian didn't seem convinced, but he let it go, "But yes. I am hoping that when I have finished my training, I will be...um...better at telling the villains."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

"Well, that's what training's for," Jeori said with a smile, then tilted his head and peered curiously down at the boy. "So, still convinced I'm evil?"

Anonymous

"No, but I'm not convinced you aren't evil either." This was much more confusing then in the books and he didn't really enjoy that aspect of it. "You aren't wearing black, and those are antlers, not horns, but you have a sinister aura to you."

Rhindeer

Jeori groaned and palmed his face. Seriously? Seriously? But then again, that aura thing was kind of uncannily creepy. Could he know...? No. No way he could. But then again...

Lowering his hand, Jeori quirked an eyebrow. "Ya can read auras?"

Anonymous

"Well, sort of. I mean, if you look at a person, you can kind of tell." Sebastian mostly just judged on appearances, which hadn't worked out all that well for him, but he was sure it would eventually, "Just look at you."

He frowned, staring up at Jeori, "I'm not quite sure what to do with you. This really isn't covered in the books."

Rhindeer

With an amused grin, Jeori crossed his arms over his chest. "So what are ya gonna do with me, then, hm? I mean, with no book to guide you, you're gonna have to make a choice. We can't just stand here forever, can we?"

Anonymous

Sebastian's frown deepened and he struggled to think of what to do. After much deliberation, he made a choice, "Alright, you seem like you aren't a bad guy. So I'll let you go. This time."

Rhindeer

"This time, hmm?" Jeori tilted his head curiously and flicked an ear to ward off a buzzing fly. Maybe he shouldn't keep goading the kid on, but he was honestly both intrigued and disturbed by his obliviousness. This right here was a kid that was going to tangle with the wrong person, say the wrong things, and wind up biting off more than he could chew.

He was very, very lucky that Jeori wasn't the sort to take offense easily. (Though, he would admit, getting called evil for his looks was a little unsettling.) "You make it sound like you think there may be a next time."

Anonymous

"Well, let's make sure there isn't!" Sebastian actually felt a little confused on that one. It seemed the right thing to say, very heroic and all that, but the logic of it was a little odd. So he just bluffed through it.

"Now that that is settled...um..." Actually, Sebastian wasn't sure what to do now.

Rhindeer

Jeori barked a laugh at that, also finding himself a little lost. That didn't really make sense with what he'd said before--but he got the feeling the kid was an 'act first, think waaay later' sort. "Ah, I thought we'd established I was okay? Look, why don't I get us a drink, eh? Ya seem a little ruffled."

Anonymous

"Oh, yes. Well, okay then." Sebastian nodded, expression an odd mix of serious and confused, "A drink might be good. I seem to have made a real mess of this, haven't I? It always seems to work out so much better in the stories."

Rhindeer

"Well, that's 'cause in the stories, the storyteller's in charge of the hero's fate, controls all the villains and obstacles, decides how hard he wants to make it and how to get the hero out alive. Ya don't get that in real life." Jeori pat Sebastian on the shoulder and turned them both in the direction of a little tavern he visited now and then, when he had extra to spare.

"Ya gotta be a little more careful. Use your head, not storyteller logic."

Anonymous

Sebastian mulled this over. He supposed that made sense. The real heroes probably had some mess ups and issues, but those weren't worked into the stories as well. But the overall story was the same. He would just have to be more careful.

"Yes, I suppose. It's hard to tell though. You really do look like quite the villain."

Rhindeer

Jeori let out a low sigh and let his shoulders slouch. "Yes, yes, you've told me that. At least five times," he said, ears laid back. It had been cute at first, funny, but after a while it started to become a reminder of something much darker, that there was truth in the boy's innocent statements.

He tried not to think about it, pushing the thought away even though he was suddenly very aware of his sharp teeth, his clawed fingers. It was probably worse that it was coming from someone who really didn't know any better.

He jerked his head toward the tavern and gave the boy a little push toward it. "That's about enough of that for the day. Now why don'tcha get some ale and tell me more about this hero business, hm? What made you decide on this particular path?"

Anonymous

Sebastian stumbled a little, but nodded, heading over to the tavern, "Okay! Crow has most of my money, but I have some. Well, um, let's see, I wanted to be a hero, because, well, they are awesome! Who doesn't want to be a hero?"

Rhindeer

"I suppose people who don't care much for danger don't wanna be heroes," Jeori said with a shrug as he stepped inside the tavern and took a seat at a table. He ordered a round for he and Sebastian and then settled back in his seat, turning his attention back to the kid as the drinks were fetched.

"Or because they have a lot of other responsibilities they gotta focus on. If every farmer went off adventuring, for example, their families would starve. I imagine it's very time consumin', being a hero, rescuing maidens, slaying dragons, all that."

Anonymous

"Oh, well, I bet they still want to be a hero. I mean, you might have to be a farmer and stuff, but I bet if given the chance, everyone wants to save people, right?" Sebastian stared around them, excited to be in the tavern.

"What about you? I mean, you must want to be a hero too?"