Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pour the rum in my eyes, tell me lies

Started by Anonymous, August 10, 2011, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"You know what they say about full moons, right?"

The man who pitched the question was old and wrinkled, forever smiling and amicable. His leathery, dark hands were wrapped around a cracked beer mug, washing it casually as he studied the woman sitting across the bar from him. She wasn't a regular to this bar in particularly, but any barkeep worth their salt stationed in Rillaria would know her face without question. From the black she wore, to her hoyden attitude, to the copious amounts of alcohol she could consume in one sitting, it was easy to recognize her when you saw her – Dahlia Blackwood. Whenever she was off duty, it normally meant that one lucky barkeep was going to have a load of patronage that night...

Dahlia laughed, setting her mug of mead down on the withered, wooden bar, tilting her head to the side curiously. "What do you take me for, old man? 'Course I know." She pushed her empty mug towards the barkeep, wordlessly demanding a refill. "The full moon's supposed when all the spooks come out, of course. Why do you think this bar's so empty tonight?"

If there was anything Dahlia hated, it was being stuck in an empty bar. She had chosen this little pub – The Three-Legged Lion – mainly because she heard that the mead was good and the company was pleasant, but so far, the mead was mediocre at best and there were barely any people here. A couple of sat in the corner of the pub, playing rummy, and a few maids went about serving them meekly, their gestures timid and tired. This was hardly the place to be on a lonely weekend night.

As the barkeep refilled her mug, Dahlia took a hearty drink, and set it down again. "'Course, that's just some myth – spread by superstitious vagabonds like yourself," Dahlia joked, shaking her head. "You think demons sit around waiting for the moon to change shape? Well, some do... but for most, it doesn't matter! Shouldn't stop anyone from having a good time!"

"You say that – but the human mind isn't always logical," the barkeep reminded, swiftly drying the glass he had been cleaning and setting it on the shelf. He made himself busy by cleaning more of them, talking while looking down at his work. At his words, Dahlia stared at him for a moment, but then grinned, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Hah! Good thing I ain't human, right?"  

She swung out of her stool, and waved her hands over towards the other few patrons of the Three-Legged Lion, cupping her hands over her mouth to project her voice. "Oi! You lot! Let's have a free round, drink's on me!" she called over to them, grinning like a child. The other patrons looked confused for a moment, but then let out a cheer, throwing their card games aside, scrambling for the bar.

Others ran out of the pub, bringing in friends to have a free drink - and suddenly, the pub had exploded with life. In a few moments, the pub had went from being totally dead to incredibly lively, and hell if Dahlia was going to think about the consequences this would wreak on her wallet. People were pouring in, yelling out on the streets how the Three-Legged Lion was giving away a free round of beer, until the pub was packed – loaded with blokes from all around.

A sheevra's mind isn't logical either, she realized. But, to hell with that! She picked up her mug of mead and had another hearty drink – for some reason, it tasted better when she was amongst people, than it did when she was drinking alone.

Anonymous

It had been a looooong last few days. Traveling with Nell was a trial, that was for sure. All he did was whine and he wouldn't even put out. And so Love had gotten him a room and slipped out for a while. There was going to be some serious drinking happening tonight, that was for sure.

There was a rush of people heading for a tavern and Love decided to follow along. The redhead wove through the crowd and was pleased to discover that some woman had bought a free round. Beaming, she got her mug and pushed her way over to the woman everyone had pointed out.

Lifting the mug, she gave her her a huge smile, "So you're the one I should thank for this!"

Anonymous

She was going to have absolutely no money left in her wallet after this was done.

And the barkeep was laughing at her too. He had those bright blue eyes set in his dark skin that made his laughter seem all the more intolerable – no doubt he was thinking of the payoff that this night would bring, and how fat his wallet would be after. Dahlia groaned over at him – one night of ale and tomfoolery was worth it, she was sure. The rumors were true, as they were – once Dahlia Blackwood came to your pub, good luck was sure to come your way!

Dahlia was still at the bar – it was the best place to be in a situation like this. You could drink your ale, have as many refills as you wanted, and still keep up with all the goings-on around the pub. Secretly, she couldn't help but listen in to the gossip that the drunks around the pub would air when their lips had been loosened with alcohol. It was always a riot – to give ale to the those without it, and to see what went down after that.

As she refilled her mug of mead once more, a redhead came towards her, lifting her own glass in respect, giving her a huge smile and thanking her as the one responsible for the free drinks. "That I am~" Dahlia confirmed, laughing heartily. It was always a little too easy to pick her out of a crowd. Her love of dark black attire somehow just made her stand out even more – the umbra in a sea of shadows.

"And for you? I'd buy a round or two more," the sheevra bantered, her icy blue eyes teasing. She wasn't used to meeting someone who actually thanked her for her rounds – not that she was expecting thanks, but it was refreshing, nonetheless. She noted that the woman was standing, and turned to the bloke sitting at the bar next to her. "Oi! Push over, mate – the lady needs a seat." The man was considerably larger than her and only stared at her strangely at her request. Groaning, Dahlia casually shoved him off his seat, sending the man staggering into a group of other men near him, which immediately caused them all to bicker amongst each other.

Dahlia ignored them, gesturing towards the seat for her, grinning. "I don't think I've seen you around this parts," she noted. She held her head up with her hand, resting it on her knuckles, icy blue eyes sparked with curiosity. "Tell me – what's your name, love?"

Anonymous

Ah flattery. Love adored it and the other woman wasn't bad looking. Love returned the smile and took her now empty seat, "Well, well. You have quite strong...arms." Love's eyes flicked down to Dahlia's hands before back to her face.

"You already guessed it. Love D'Amore. And yes, it's my real name. Parents had odd taste in names. What about you? Does my gallant patron for the night have a name?"