Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Breakable ((Moonie!))

Started by CastlesInTheSky, September 22, 2011, 06:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix saw those without a place to stay as homeless, because he was human most of the time. He didn't have much an opportunity to become anything else. He had a job that needed to be worked at, and there wasn't much he could do as a dragon. He'd probably get caught be some Adelans or something ridiculous like that.

Phoenix furrowed his brow. Of course they didn't leave because of that. He would hate himself for his entire life if he left his sister to be alone when she really needed helping. Though, he couldn't say anything for fathers.

He was glad to change subjects. "Oh, well, my trade? I make things of glass. I have a resistance to heat, so I suppose that helps." He shrugged.

Anonymous

Whether it was true or not was irrelevent. It was what Nisha felt sometimes, and that was all that really mattered. Neither her father nor brother were around to dispel such fears, and so it was only allowed to fester within her. Still, she managed to keep herself from spiraling into a deep depression, and in general, she didn't let such thoughs cloud her mind. They would come back eventually! She just had to keep telling herself that.

When he mentioned that he was a glass maker she perked up. Nisha had seen glass before, not a lot of it, but she'd seen some! It was a curious material, and she'd always wondered how it was made into shapes when it was so very fragile. Fragile...like her!

"A glass maker? That is very neat! Glass can be so pretty, but how does one make it into shapes? Isn't that hard?" Yay for a much less depressing subject!

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix perked up a little at the conversation about glass. He liked his work very much. "Well, thanks. It is pretty interesting. But, it's also pretty complicated." At the back of his mind, he wondered why his father had even known anything about glass. He was a born politician, what did he have to do with glass? "You can make it into different shapes in a few ways. You can use air to shape it, and you can use molds." He pondered the last question for a moment. "Well, yeah, it's kinda hard. Glass is fragile and all, so it's hard not to break it a lot. I accidentally broke something this morning in fact."

Anonymous

Nisha listened with rapt attention. It was easy to see the curisoity and fascination in her face and eyes, which were like an open book. Wow, it was so interesting! She had so many questions, how could you shape glass with air? And molds? Was glass not always solid? So it wasn't carved like ivory?

Surpressing her instinctive curious questions, she focused on the fact that he said he'd broken something. "Oh dear, how terrible. Working with such a delicate material, it must get frustrating when you break something. Still, I bet you're good at glass making!" She beamed encouragingly at him. Nisha had al the faith in the world that he was excellent at his craft.

CastlesInTheSky

"I guess I'm okay at it...and yeah, it does get irritating after a while." He looked over at her, able to see fine enough due to the light of the bright full moon coming in through the window. He studied her face for a moment, the smile she was giving him. It was like she thought he was the best glass maker in the whole of Serendipity. That and the compliment caused him to blush slightly. He turned his head away from her, running a hand through his messy hair. "Don't think I'm that great. I mean, I break stuff a lot. And there's better people."

He honestly wondered why she trusted him so much to go to his house at a late hour. She had just met him that day. Also, she was so friendly. Phoenix wasn't used to it at all. It made him cautious. Did she want something? Well, of course she wanted food and she didn't have a place to stay. But, why was she so trusting of him? He couldn't wrap his mind around her ways.

Anonymous

Ah, he was blushing again. Nisha tilted her head to the side, watching him curiously. Her lips were still formed into that slightly silly smile as she watched him almost expectantly. Although, it quickly broke into a slight frown as he down-played his abilities. "Aww, don't be like that! I'm sure you're great!"

She was beaming again. It was so nice to have someone to talk to! Until she'd run into Phoenix and started communicating with him, she hadn't even realized just how lonely she was. After a moment she blinked owlishly and looked out the window. Oh yeah, it was really late, wasn't it? "Ah, I'm so sorry, Phoenix. I really didn't think before coming here. It is late, and I am being a bother. You were sleeping. Maybe I should go."

Ah, she had no money, and no clothes, and she was not a wolf now. Walking through the streets at night, naked, as a human-thing girl was highly unappealing. Sure, she was wearing one of Phoenix's shirts right now, but she couldn't just take it, she had no way of paying him back for it. She frowned, her face a mask of puzzled anxiety as she tried to think of how exactly to go about fixing the mess she'd made. All because of being a little lonely. Pah! She was so useless.

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix frowned when she mentioned leaving. Though he lived in a nicer part of town, really, that was a bad idea. She could get attacked out there. Or taken into shady businesses. Or-Well, why did he care? He just met her. She could fend for herself, hadn't she been doing that before? He looked back at her. Then again, she couldn't really do much for herself, could she? His eyes studied her features carefully. He didn't want her to go out there and go get herself killed or something. Or the unlucky fate that met many young women who traveled about at night. She didn't even have proper clothes!

"Hey, it's alright. You can stay here for now." He hoped he didn't sound...shady. He really just wanted her not to go out and get hurt. He couldn't help but care, she'd been very friendly to him. "Go, sleep in the bed. I'll sleep downstairs." He sighed. "And don't try to convince me to kick you out. I won't. Good night, Nisha..." Without another word, he went out of the room, down the small stairs and into his living room, where he sat on a large chair. He was definitely bad at talking, he knew that. He fell asleep almost immediately, sprawled out on the chair.

Anonymous

Nisha didn't really expect Phoenix to care, and she wasn't afraid of the things he was afraid of, not at all. She was too naive to realize how much danger she would be in. Her greatest concern was getting caught by other people naked and getting in trouble for not wearing clothes. Human-things were particular about stuff like that, after all!

When he told her she could stay there for now, she stared at him with huge grey eyes. Stay? But...this was his house! A visit was one thing, but to stay? It felt so...intrusive...to her. Her mouth flew open to protest sleeping in his bed, but she clicked it shut again as he seemed not to be willing to accept no for an answer. Now she really felt awful. Here she was being a bother, and he was giving up his own bed!

Settling down onto it, she felt strange. Sleeping in beds was just...strange! The last time she had slept in a bed...no, she couldn't remember that far back. A nice soft patch of dirt, or leaves, that was a decent bed in her opinion. This was...downright luxurous in comparison. For around an hour she laid there, curled up in the blanket, tossing and turning this way and that. The bed was beyond comfortable, but it felt so wrong to be in it, when Phoenix was off somewhere else in the house.

Finally she got up, and crept as quietly as she could, blanket still pulled around her. When she found Phoenix in the living room, sprawled out in a chair she smiled at his sleeping form. He was such a nice man. Pausing a moment, she took the blanket from around her shoulders and gently covered him with it. There! Much better! Now he wouldn't get cold. Curling up on the floor beside Phoenix's chair, she put herself into as tight of a ball that her human form would allow for, and finally managed to fall asleep.

CastlesInTheSky

Sunlight streamed through the window when Phoenix woke up, casting its beams on the dusty interior of the house. He yawned, stretching out his arms wide, then took note of the blanket lying on him, and the girl sleeping on the floor next to his chair. For a moment, he simply stared at her sleeping there, wondering what in the world was going on. Though, in a matter of seconds the gears in his mind began turning once again, and he remembered. He looked back to the blanket and back to her, a worried expression crossing his features. Wasn't she cold down there? He stood up out of his chair quietly, gently placing the blanket on her.

He began to walk away, but stopped and looked back at her for a moment, then back forward. He scratched his head. What was he doing? Would he be taking care of mewling kittens now, too? Adopting little bunny rabbits? He shook his head. Stupid him. He had enough problems of his own. He sighed softly and walked out of his house quietly, returning a bit later with a dress he figured would fit her. He hoped that she wouldn't question where he had gotten it. He'd pretended that he had a family member with a birthday. Sadly. He laid it next to her and sat on a chair on the other side of the room, sipping tea.

Anonymous

Nisha was exhausted and once she'd passed out, well, it would be like trying to wake the dead. Even when Phoenix woke up and put the blanket over her she didn't even stir. There was nothing but darkness, no dreams, nothing. How much time had passed? Hours, days, weeks...Nisha wouldn't have known. Oh yes, awake she could put on quite the show, couldn't she? So chipper, so pleasant. It was such a lie. Not that she was a good, sweet person, that was true enough, but she acted like everything was alright. It wasn't.

Phoenix came back and laid the dress near her. Nisha didn't even know that he left, let alone that he returned. Her naturally pale skin was ashen now, had he touched her, he'd have realized her skin was like ice to the touch and her breathing shallow. Her heart fluttered wildly in her chest, the beat irregular and faltering. Had she been conscious her lungs would have felt on fire and there'd have been a agonizing tightness in her chest.

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix had been thinking his thoughts, not thinking of the girl sleeping on the floor. He was wondering why she hadn't awoken yet. It was almost noon. Carefully, he stepped over to her, nudging her. He glimpsed her skin, frowning deeply at its color and pulled the blanket off.

"What...? Nisha!"

He nudged her again, then seized her arm in his hand. It was much too cold. For a moment he just sat, staring at her, thinking she was dead, but he saw in a moment that she was breathing. Barely, it seemed. He shook her gently, an expression of worry on his face. "Nisha, Nisha, wake up." She didn't wake, and he became panicked. What had he done? Was it his fault? Would she die? He picked her up gently but quickly and left the house, the blanket draped on her. He didn't care if he was carrying a woman wearing a shirt through the city to a doctor. At least he knew where one was, considering he had his own problems and knew where the healing mage was around.

When she awoke, she would be on a low table, lying on a blanket. The healing mage was in the corner. He was a man a bit older than Phoenix, perhaps about in his late twenties. The small room was full of warm colours, and there were things scattered about.

Anonymous

It was a dark place, that place that Nisha visited sometimes. Not on purpose, mind you, but she couldn't help it. Father and Mother had cried a lot, the first time it had happened, when the blood mage they knew had explained that Nisha was a very, very sick baby, and that the chances of her living to adulthood were slim without a miracle. Of course, she didn't remember any of that, her brother had told her about it when she was older. Her father didn't like to talk about it. Her father didn't even like to talk about her. He seemed to very withdrawn her entire life, perhaps hoping not to get too attached to a child destined to die.

Well, Nisha had managed to hang on this long. Yes, sometimes she would have an episode, like now, but she always managed to pull out of it eventually. Sometimes it took hours for her to regain consciousness, usually Gavin's worried face would be hovering near her as her eyes opened again, and he would cling to her and cry in relief. Oh how she wished Gavin were there now. She didn't know how long she was out, but with the healer's help, her heart returned to a normal, steady, if slightly off, rhythm, and her lungs began to work properly, sucking in deeper breaths as her skin returned to a more alive color.

Slowly she became aware, her chest ached, her head throbbed, and she was lying on a flat, hard surface. Slowly her eyes flickered open, they looked dull and lost as she looked slowly around, her face thoroughly confused. After a moment she realized there was a man in the corner, that she didn't know and she jumped up with a shout. At least, she tried to. Her limbs felt heavy and she could barely move, the scream was little more than a hoarse whimper. Where was she? What happened? Where was Gavin?

CastlesInTheSky

The man in the corner flinched when she jumped up. "Don't be afraid. I was the one who healed you." He stood, giving her space by staying in the corner. "Please try to relax, it would be better for the both of us. You're in my office, and you'll be free to go in a few short minutes, okay?" He sat back down. "Before you ask, might as well tell you that your friend, or whoever, Phoenix, brought you here when you 'passed out'. He'll return in a few minutes."

Anonymous

Nisha had relaxed back onto the table, there wasn't much else she could do, really. It freaked her out a little, to be in this strange place, inside a town, or city...whatever they called this silly assorment of homes and shops. She listened to the doctor speak, mind pondering his words. Phoenix? Oh yes! Now she remembered. Oh dear, what a bother she was being. Really, it had been a terrible idea to visit him. She should have stayed out in the forest, where she couldn't cause trouble for anyone.

Well, she would be sure to return to the woods just as soon as she could. She'd give Phoenix back his shirt just as soon as she could, too. There was a sinking feeling when she realized that she had no way to pay for this doctor visit. How was she ever going to repay Phoenix for all that he had done for her? Feeling fairly miserable about herself, she rolled onto her side and curled up, pulling the blanket around her. She didn't want to see Phoenix right now, she was too ashamed of the trouble she was being.

"Did...did you tell him? About my heart?"

CastlesInTheSky

"Hm?" He looked at her curiously. He knew Phoenix well, and he knew his problems well. So when he had carried someone in, a woman at that, it was somewhat mind-boggling. Last time he checked, Phoenix didn't have any lady-friends. Or friends in general, besides him. Phoenix couldn't even count him as a friend, really, with all his nagging.

"Eh, no. I just said something like you had a past sickness that came to haunt you, pretty much, also said it wouldn't happen again much." He shrugged. "I figured that it wasn't his business." He looked over toward the window, high on the ceiling and small. "And I'll tell you this, so you don't feel bad; I give a discount to Phoenix when he comes here, since he comes so often, and I suppose I'll make you a discount too. You don't have to pay me anything."

Anonymous

A past sickness to haunt her, that sounded fairly on the ball there, actually. Well, there wasn't much she could really do about the fact that it had happened. Sure, she felt bad about it, but what could she do? It wasn't as if she had planned on her heart to flip out on her. Hopefully he wasn't too mad about how much she had inconvienced him.

Feeling slightly steadier, she rolled up into a sitting position, blanket wrapped around her as she looked at the doctor curiously as he spoke to her. "Don't...have to pay? I must find some way to repay Phoenix for everything he's done for me. He's been so kind. Although...is he really here that much? He seems so healthy!" What could possibly send Phoenix to a doctor so often that he got a discount?

CastlesInTheSky

Normally the doctor wouldn't tell others of the condition of his patients, but in Phoenix's case, he simply didn't think it was deserving enough to be kept secret. He was also curious as to the relation of her and Phoenix.

The doctor shook his head with a snort. "Phoenix? Ha! He's tearing himself apart from the inside. Got some problems, that kid." He sighed. "He drinks too much, for starters. Wouldn't be surprised if he was drinking himself to oblivion right now, in the morning."

Anonymous

Nisha's head tilted to the side curiously as the doctor mentioned that Phoenix was probably drinking himself into oblivion. What did that mean? But, more importantly, Phoenix was tearing himself apart? Oh that was just horrible! Her face contorted into a mask of worry and fear.

"That sounds awful! Oh, I hope he comes back soon. He's been so nice to me, I can't bear the thought of him hurting himself!" Nisha was truly worried sick over Phoenix now. He needed help! Although, she wasn't exactly sure what was wrong, but she would find out and she would try to do whatever she could for him. It was the least she could do after how nice he had been.

CastlesInTheSky

The doctor was honestly surprised to hear that, and the fact that she sounded so sincere. Most women Phoenix met up with...well, they weren't particularly her type of woman. They were more the type to wear short skirts and flaunt...things. It confused him to see that she actually seemed to care about what happened to him, but it also saddened him a little. He had a feeling that he wasn't going to be good to her, but then again, people could change. Though he didn't have much hope in Phoenix of all people.

"Hm. Well, he's...a bit better than he was a few months ago." He looked at her, curiosity and unspoken words in his eyes. "But I'll give you a good piece of advice: Don't try to change him. He's an idiot and he always will be, okay?"

As if validating his statement, Phoenix stumbled in the door, drunk.

"Heya, doc, heya chickie..." His words were slurred and he stumbled a bit closer to them both. "Party, right? Let's have a party." He spread his arms out. "A party!" The doctor  smirked sarcastically. "Well, hello, darling. I see you're a morning glory."

Anonymous

Why wouldn't Nisha care about Phoenix? He had given her food when she was starving, had spoken to her when she was lonely, had cheered her up when she was sad, and had possibly just saved her life this morning. Not that the doctor would know any of that. Nisha sighed and threw a curious look at the doctor when he told her not to try to change Phoenix, and that Phoenix was an idiot.

She opened her mouth, expression angry, but then Phoenix himself came in and she clicked her teeth together rather than make a disgruntled comment to the physician. Her eyes blinked and went wide at Phoenix's behavior. Oh my, chickie? Although...

"What's a party?"