Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Breakable ((Moonie!))

Started by CastlesInTheSky, September 22, 2011, 06:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix smiled a very stupid smile, and replied, "Well, yasee, a party is where ya do some fun things like...drinkin' and games...and having-"

"-no common sense. Now get in the back room before I drag you there." The doctor and pointed in the direction he meant, as if directing a small child. The doctor rolled his eyes. What was wrong with this day? Girl with permanent heart condition getting carried in, his regular getting drunk in the early hours a bit before noon. All in a day's job, he supposed.

Phoenix just stood there with a stupid smile on his face until pushed in the right direction, when he stumbled a little and continued to stand there. The doctor clicked his tongue, looking at Nisha. "What do you see in him? Tell me."

Anonymous

Nisha listened to Phoenix's explanation with mild interest, her brother had gone into towns, and drank, and gone to parites, but he never would tell her about any of his human-thing interactions. The doctor interrupted him while he was telling her about it, and she watched for a moment as the doctor attempted to herd her friend like one would a lost lamb.

When he asked her what she saw in him, she couldn't help but smile slightly and get up from the table. She was still in his shirt, which was just big enough on her to bed moderately decently dressed. "He is sweet and kind, that's what I see. What do you see?"

With a sigh she wrapped her arms around one of Phoenix's, adn smiled brightly up at him. "Come on, Phoenix, let's get you settled into the back room like the nice doctor says, okay?" She tried to gently direct him where the doctor wanted him to go.

CastlesInTheSky

If that simile had been spoken out loud, the doctor would have replied, 'more like the lost child of satan' and rolled his eyes.

The doctor didn't reply, holding back one of his usual sarcastic comments. Quite frankly, he saw a drunk idiot who didn't know up from down, and needed to get his crap together soon if he wanted to live past 35. He couldn't just say how it was to this innocent, strange sort of girl.

Phoenix, meanwhile, was grinning stupidly. "Hmmm? Sure! Let's go." He shuffled into the room and flopped onto the bed in there. The doctor looked at Nisha, sighing. "Heya, I need to give him a checkup to see if he's hurt himself, okay? I promise it won't be too long." The words sounded nice enough, but they weren't true. What he planned on doing really was to dispel the effects of the alcohol immediately and give Phoenix a short and straight to the point lecture about how much of an idiot he was.

Anonymous

It was good that the doctor kept his comment to himself, it would have upset Nisha greatly to hear a doctor saying that Phoenix might not live a long, healthy life. She knew far too well how that was. She had little hope of living long enough to die of old age. It was a horrible thing she wouldn't wish upon anyone. That her friend might be drinking himself to death would be horrible, horrible news.

At least Phoenix willingly went to the bed in the back room after she had sweetly asked him to. She gave a pleasant smile to him, the expression on her face was...fond? Perhaps. She supposed she had grown quite fond of him over their short time knowing each other. Of course, she knew that he was really lonely, deep down, and so was she, so the friendship just kind of made sense to her.

The doctor received a slight frown at his words, Nisha was torn between wanting to stay with Phoenix and obeying the doctor, who would surely know what was best in the situation. "Okay, I'll be back in the other room then, I guess."

She scurried back to the table and wrapped herself back in the blanket. It still felt so cold to her.

CastlesInTheSky

The doctor closed the door softly after her.

What continued inside the room was perhaps a small bit true to what he had actually said. The doctor used his magic to make the effects of the alcohol disappear, and soon enough, Phoenix was no longer drunk, throwing up some in a bucket, and had a very bad headache. The doctor scowled at him the whole time. Phoenix and him got into a short, hushed argument. He sent Phoenix to get washed up as if he were a child, once again, and came out of the room.

"He's alright. He's just washing up, and he'll be in here in a minute." The doctor sighed. He sat on the chair, sinking into it, and rubbed his temples. He was clearly distressed over something.

Anonymous

Nisha waited as patiently as she could for the doctor to get done so she could check on Phoenix for herself. Okay, the doctor would most certainly know what was best, but she couldn't help but want to make sure, in her own way. It was unnerving for someone she liked to be unwell. Of course, she was just being silly and overreacting. Phoenix would be just fine!

Of course, the doctor appeared, and his words were soothing, but his demeanor was far from comforting. Was something wrong? "What's wrong? You don't look like everything is alright, no matter what you say. Is Phoenix really going to be okay?" There was such genuine concern there, for someone that she barely knew.

CastlesInTheSky

The doctor looked over at her, and he exhaled slowly. He was normally calm personified, joking around and laying down a thick layer of sarcastic remarks, but one thing that disturbed him was when he couldn't help one of his patients. He could never save anyone from themselves. He looked back away from her, staring ahead at the table. No matter how much he tried to hide it, it truly bothered him. The concern in her voice didn't help him feel much better.

"You know, miss, you would feel much better inside if you didn't ask questions like that."

Anonymous

Nisha watched him, grey eyes slowly growing darker. Not actually darker in color, of course, but you could see the anguish in them. Why would the doctor say such a thing? How could he? If something was wrong, she wanted to know! Gavin always did stuff like that to her! Don't tell little Nisha, she's just too fragile, don't explain anything to little Nisha, she doesn't really need to know!

Her lips set in a hard line as she gave him a hard look. Sweet and innocent, yes, but not completely stupid. "If there is something wrong with my friend, then yes, yes I want to ask questions just like that. Phoenix is nice to me, and I like him, no matter if you can't understand why or not. Even if he can't understand why, I do. You just don't see like I see..." She huffed slightly.

Nisha's innocence let her see the world in ways other people simply couldn't imagine.

CastlesInTheSky

The doctor looked back at her. The girl wasn't intimidating in the least. He shook his head. "Fine, you want to hear? He doesn't eat enough, he doesn't sleep enough. He's addicted to something nasty and he has no idea what's up and what's down. He gets into fights and hurts himself that way, he drinks, he goes to bed with women all the damn time and doesn't give a rat's ass about what people think about him because of it. Are those enough of his problems for you?" He looked her in the eyes.

Anonymous

Nisha sat there, huddled with her blanket, well, with Phoenix's blanket, as the doctor pretty much let her have it. She winced slightly, listening to all the harsh details. Poor Phoenix, he sounded so...troubled. Why would he be so troubled? It bothered Nisha. How could she help him? It seemed quite hopeless. Well, she wouldn't just leave him! She knew that he was lonely, and that he had some troubles with familly. He'd told her. She had family trouble too.

Nisha stayed quiet for a few long moments, thinking about everything that the doctor had said. "He sounds like...like Gavin, actually. My brother was always getting into trouble, he would talk about some of the things he did. Not a lot, he never wanted to tell me things. I knew he got in fights, and drank, and spent time with women he didn't know, though."

Shrugging her shoulders she looked away, wondering when Phoenix would be back and hopefully help difuse the awkwardness of the situation.

CastlesInTheSky

The doctor nodded absently, now looking into space. It seemed like everyone had their own share of problems. He had less than most, but he did indeed have his share of problems as well.

He sighed. "Maybe you want to go back to his house. He's probably there. He never listens to what I have to say, so he clearly didn't come back here." He sighed deeply and waved his hand dismissively. "It was nice meeting you, miss. Just don't hurt yourself. You know where to come if you do."

When she went there, she would find Phoenix up in his room, sitting on his bed with his tail curled around him and his wings folded on his back, facing the wall.

Anonymous

Nisha waved to the doctor awkwardly before wrapping the blanket tight around her and making her way through the streets. She got plenty of odd looks, she was wrapped up tight in a blanket, and barefoot, but no one tried to stop her. It took a while for her to find Phoenix's house, but when she did she let herself in and crept slowly up to his bedroom, where she figured he would be.

Of course, there he was, back to her, staring at the wall. Well that made the second time in a day that he's simply abandoned her at that doctor's place. That wasn't very nice. Nisha chewed on her bottom lip nervously, not sure how he would react to her being her. This was the second time she'd followed him home in a single night and day period.

"Uh...Phoenix? I'm sorry for any trouble...I...I brought your blanket back..." It sounded really lame, but what else was there to say? She felt bad, she was disturbing him, yet again.

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix nodded. He continued to face the wall without acknowledging her other than that. He had been seeing things again. Glimpses at the edges of his vision that his father was there. Watching him from a distance. But, every time he turned to look, there was nobody there. There never was.

"Do you...need something?"

Anonymous

Nisha shifted on her feet several times, feeling very awkward. Well, this wasn't going very well at all, was it? It was all her fault, all of it. If she hadn't followed him home none of this would have ever happened. Phoenix wouldn't have gone drinking, he wouldn't be in his current mood.

"Uh...no, no. I think you've done more than enough for me. I will pay you back...somehow..." She frowned slightly, taking the blanket from her shoulders and gently drapping it near his bed. "Uhm, I know you're not in a great mood right now, but I wanted to thank you for...everything, really. I should go now, though, before I cause even more trouble. I just...if you ever need me, I'll be hanging around where we met, so uh, I'd like it if you visited me sometime."

CastlesInTheSky

The moment she mentioned she was leaving, he snapped out of staring at the wall. He turned his head to look at her. She didn't need to pay him back. He didn't see what she really needed to pay him back for. He didn't even get to present to her the dress he bought for her. He shook his head. "No. Don't leave." He gestured for her to come over. "Sit with me." He stared at her, looking depressed.

Anonymous

When he looked at her, well, it about broke Nisha's heart. He looked so sad! Instinctively she obeyed the gesture, crawling onto the bed and wiggled herself right beside him. How could she have refused? After how nice he had been to her, and he did look so sad.

"I am sorry for being such a bother..." The words were murmured lamely, she felt so useless and bothersome. Still, she snuggled against his side, glad for his company and wanting to share his warmth and just not be lonely.

CastlesInTheSky

"Shhh." Phoenix's tail circled around her gently, and his left wing, closest to her, unfolded slightly to cover her back. He was surprisingly warm, almost feverishly so. But that's simply how his body was; there wasn't anything bad and health related that made it so. She had looked so cold, standing there. No matter how much he would refuse admitting it, he would've felt horrible to leave her there. Especially after her being so nice to him.

"Don't say you're a bother. You're not." He took a deep breath. Even his breath was unusually warm. It was like there was a fire inside of him. "Um...I should be the one who's sorry. I'm an idiot. Sorry." He scratched his head. "It's just...hard. Yeah, times are hard."

Anonymous

Nisha was startled by just how warm Phoenix was, but grateful too, he was like his own sun! He wrapped his wing and tail around her and she simply snuggled against his side more, shifting around a little until her head could rest against his chest and listen to his heartbeat. It felt nice to snuggle with someone again. She missed snuggling with her brother.

He told her that she wasn't a bother, which made her frown slightly, but she wasn't going to argue with him over it. Still, she lifted her head when he called himself an idiot, a frown crossed her pale lips. "Don't call yourself an idiot, Phoenix, and you don't have to apologize to me. And...do you want to talk about it?"

CastlesInTheSky

Phoenix figured she was just being nice before and leaving because she was tired of him and his problems. Even after being carried to a doctor, he would leave himself, too. There wasn't much he liked about himself. Definitely not his brain.

"If you say so." He looked away from her for a moment. "To talk about it..? You should say some things about where you've been or something. I've told you plenty. Anything cool in your life?" Being next to her reminded him of when he used to sit next to his sister. When they were little kids, they used to sit next to each other in a similar way. But he didn't want to think about his sister at that time. He had no idea where she was.

Anonymous

Nisha frowned and tried to think of something interesting to say about her own life. It was true, he's talked about himself, but she hadn't done a lot of disclosing herself. It was only fair that she tell him some things about what her life was like.

"Ah, well, hmm. I spend almost all of my time as that wolf-cat-creature that you saw when we first met, I don't interact with people very much. Usually just my father and brother, but they're gone now. I hope they're alive and well and together somewhere. My mother died when I was two, but...I don't really remember her. Gavin told me she went crazy and tried to kill us all. He hates her, but she was our mom...I love her. I just wish she hadn't gone all crazy. They burned her as a witch, we lived like people back then. That's when father took us to live in the wild."

She frowned, thinking about it all. It wasn't particularly interesting to her, most of that was stuff that was before she had even started making memoires, things she had only heard second-hand from her brother. Father never talked about it. He rarely even spoke to her.