Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can you find my problem?

Started by Ycharley, March 03, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

"I would want to know more about these places, simply so I could have more peace of mind knowing that this or these charms will harm no one ever again," Lumina spoke finishing off her wine. As soon as she set her glass down a tall servant came to fill that glass. He looked at Tatsu, offering to refill his glass and waited for the guest to decline or accept the offer.

Lumina ran her pale fingers through her blonde hair, her turquoise eyes looking over the room behind her guest. She could remember when the crackle of the fire was comforting, now it was just a quiet reminder of the plagues and death that had swept through her people. Slowly she pulled her gaze back to her guest. She wondered about him, how old he was, what he had experienced and if he could even fathom what she was going through.

"Is there anything else I can get for you Tatsu?" She spoke, her voice have a harder edge to it them before, it was clear she was tired, tired with an exhaustion that could be cured with sleep.

Zero

Tatsu narrowed his eyes slightly. He wasn't particularly inclined to divulge the location of his troves to anyone, but there could hardly be a safer place for magical items to go. "They are secret places, deep beneath the earth and warded to prevent detection. No one would find these items to use them for ill ever again, and they would be too far from settlements to cause anyone any harm."

The offer of a refill was politely declined. He hardly needed to have his mind clouded when he had such a long and important job to do. Mistakes would be far too costly in this circumstance. He drained his cup, leaving the food untouched.

"No thank you, Lady Lumina, you have been more than generous. I can see you are weary from your long days of worry. Please, rest easy tonight and I will get to work immediately to rid you of your woes."

Ycharley

Lumina say him narrow his eyes, still her face didn't change. She was used to dealing with people, especially men, men that most would find intimidating. She was in a mans world in a mans position and she knew this. "I was not asking for the location," She stated with a nod at his response. She leaned back in her chair, her weight shifted to one side as she leaned against the left arm of the chair.

The servant nodded and returned to his place with a respectful nod of the head.

As if on cue a servant rushed in the dinning room as Tatsu finished his sentence. It was clear the woman was troubled. Her cloths were disheveled from the hast of getting to Lumina. Her eyes had a slight pink tint to them and her face was weathered by stress. She leaned down and whispered something to Lumina. If Tatsu wasn't looking at Lumina's face carefully he would miss the emotion that flashed across it momentarily. The pain, hurt and sadness that rushed to the surface before she could force it back down.

Lumina took a deep breath securing her features into the cool calm and collected form they almost always held. She was a noble and from a very young age she had learned to keep herself together in public. Lumina waved the servant off with a gentle nod before looking back at Tatsu.

"Well, my duties call me else where. If you wish to go to your room just ask a servant, same goes if you need anything," She said as she stood. She stood with perfect posture, something that had been beat into her when she was younger.

"Take care of yourself, remember that you are now under the curse, same as everyone else here," She spoke, her pendant beginning to flash slightly, like she was surging with power.

Zero

Tatsu watched the harried looking servant with interest as they came in to deliever, apparently disturbing, news quietly to Lumina. He did not inquire about it, it would have been impolite, especially considering the brief flash of emotions on Lumina's face before she was all business again.

He drained his wine as she got up and stood. "You are too kind and generous, Lady Lumina. I thank you for your hospitality. I think I will begin my search at once."

The sooner he began, the sooner he could finish, and could leave. There was something disturbing him about this place, although he could not place his finger on it. For the first time since arriving, he flashed a smile at her advice for caution.

"Do not worry yourself about me, my lady. I think you shall find me rather resistant to such afflictions." He bowed deeply.

Ycharley

Lumina nodded, "Yeah, we all think that until our natural magic fails us," Lumina spoke in passing as she left the room. She grabbed her heaviest cloak, a black long piece of fabric made to withstand harsh winters.  She then quickly headed out into the dull cold day.

The sky was over cast, seeming the perfect backdrop for such hard times. She made her way to one of the servant houses just off of the mansion. As soon as she opened the door the air was filled with the sobs of a women. It took a moment for Lumina's eyes to adjust but when they did the scene that revealed its self was heart wrenching.

A woman hold her still born child, rocking back and forth as she sobbed and screamed. An older women walked to Lumina shaking her head.

"She had been this way for about an hour now, none of us can help her," The older women spoke in a hushed tone.

Lumina took a deep breath, gathering herself. This would be hard for her, she could only imagine what the women was going through.

Zero

Tatsu watched Lumina leave before turning and striding from the dining hall. He moved back to the door through which he had entered. Pale eyes swept across the hall before he exited the same way he had entered.

He began his search with a thorough walking of the grounds. He would cover every inch outside of the main house and begin inside the following morning, it was a solid plan, and he enjoyed having a decided course of action.

Ycharley

Lumina stood alone as the last embers flared from the burning of the child's body. It was clear from her body language that the moment pained her. She knew that if the curse had been removed she would have celebrated, maybe even had a feast. But no, not tonight, not since the curse had fallen on them. Now she was in a time of mourning, and nothing stung worse than a child's death.

She stood there with her shoulders slumped and her arms crossed, staring into the soft glow of the remnants of the fire. If Tatsu wasn't successful she had a feeling that her town would crumble and become a deserted wasteland. It would be something else that would fall under destruction under her.

Zero

Tatsu explored the grounds at a leisurely pace, he wished to find the source of this curse that so troubled these people, but if he rushed, he feared missing something. If there were multiple items, missing even a single one was unacceptable. These people were counting on him.

He spotted the fire, of course, and waited until Lumina was alone before approaching her, his pale eyes seeming to glow softly as the last embers began to die. A child had died, a baby, stillborn. All he needed to know gathered from the dying ashes. "To lose a life is always difficult, to lose a child that had not even begun to live is a tragedy. I know it means nothing, but I am sorry for your loss. Your people suffer and I can see how it pains you."

His expression was not passive now, it was grim, and there was a hint of sorrow in his eyes.

Ycharley

Lumina's jaw was set in a hard line as she turned her head slightly to look at Tatsu, there was still tears in her eyes, a moment of weakness she showed very few people. "I am not human like most of my people, so I have known most since they were born where my life span is much longer than their own. That is what makes it harder for me compared to other nobles," Lumina spoke softly as she turned her gaze back to the fire.

"You are the last resort, I have magical abilities but they are much more grim. Abilities more suited for war and torture than hunting down a trinket. When I find out who did this, that is when my abilities will come in handy," She spoke, her words turning menacing and a hardness coming to her eyes making her words ring more true. Giving her a look more of a predator than a refined lady.

Zero

Tatsu valued life greatly, but her words made him shift uncomfortably. He disliked growing attached to humans, because inevitably they would die, and he would not. Already he worried about watching his daughter grow old and die before his very eyes. She was young still, but for him it would be but a blink of an eye before she was gone. "I understand your pain."

It was a simple statement, and no less true because of it. Tatsu did not speak in lies. The hard look that came over her, though, almost made him feel sorry for whoever had done this once they'd been caught. Then again, they had caused more than enough suffering to warrant their fate. "I will find the trinket responsible, Lady Lumina, you have my word on that. For those responsible, may the Light have mercy on their souls."

Ycharley

Lumina  turned her head to once more look at Tatsu, "I am the light, and I will have no mercy, not here, not in the after life," She spoke her voice soft but solid. Her pendant had slowly started to glow, starting off just barely emitting light but soon turned into a bright beacon on her neck.

When Lumina noticed this she looked down, grabbing the pendent gently in her hand. She took a deep breath, calming herself. Her calm collected leader then came to the surface, the emotion now gone from her face. She force the emotion down, not permitting it to show, not at the moment anyways.

"Not to be bitter, but how can you understand my pain unless you have experienced it, unless you are some ancient being who once ruled some forgotten place. I can tell you are much older than you appear, I can see it in your eyes. Still if you are just a traveler you never have a chance to get attached to anyone. If you aren't attached your heart doesn't break when they are sick or when they die. I have seen hundreds die, people who were my friends, people who were like my family. Plus that isn't even mentioning the family I have seen die in battle and of poisoning," Lumina spoke, seeking to know if he could truly understand it.

Zero

Tatsu did not react to the glowing pendant, even as it became blindingly bright. He stood solid as a pillar, pale eyes gazing intensely down at her. She hid her emotions away again, and he looked away to stare at the ashes pensively.

"I was not always a traveler, and never a ruler, in the sense that you hold it. My people did look to me for strength, guidance, and protection, like they did all the elders. I failed them, of course, and watched helplessly as all that I had ever known, ever loved, crumbled and burned to ash around me. I would have gladly joined them in death then, but for whatever reason, I was spared. Humans live but an instant before their light burns out. I do have a daughter, a human I raised as my own. She will grow old and die before my very eyes, as will her children and her children's children...Is that enough pain for you?"

His voice had grown cold and he turned to walk away. There was still a lot of work to be done, and then he would be leaving.

Ycharley

Lumina sighed deeply, she knew she was out of line. When she was hurt she always lashed out in one way or another, a character flaw she was all too aware of. She reached out, her hand touching his elbow gently, not grabbing him but a none verbal way of asking him not to walk away.

"I am sorry," She said, her eyes growing soft, showing true sincerity behind them. "It seems we are not too different, you and I. I am not used to it, someone who can truly understand the stress and sorrows. She looked down, she felt a bit ashamed of herself. She had assumed that he had just had a simple easy life of going here and there. She never considered he had a life before he began traveling.

She pulled her hand back from him slowly, almost as if she was unsure about herself. She started to chew on her lip for a moment, an old habit rising to the surface. "Please forgive me for misspeaking."

Zero

As the hand touched his elbow he reflexively halted. It was a gentle touch, but it was more than enough to hold him. Tatsu's body was tense, like a coiled spring. The pain he refused to show on his face was still apparent in his posture.

Slowly he let his tension go; there was no point in anger. Everyone felt loss, and each handled it differently. Her words further pacified him and his expression softened as she pulled her hand away. His voice was gentler now. "There is nothing to be forgiven, Lady Lumina. You spoke in grief; as well you might under the circumstance. I, too, spoke harshly when I should not have."

He turned to look at her now, bowing his head lightly. "If there is anything I can do for you, anything at all, please do not hesitate to call on me. Not only as I stay to free your people of this curse, but also after I have gone."

Ycharley

Lumina instinctively looked down as she felt a fresh rush of tears to her eyes. She took a deep breath before looking up into his icy blue eyes. Her own oddly colored looking into his for only a moment before she began to speak. "It is just nice to have someone here who simply understands. If you ever need anything, feel free to call on me as well, of course I think I might be a bit easier to find," Lumina spoke offering Tatsu a soft smile.

"Well, I think it best we both get back to work, you are welcome to come to dinner if you wish, or you can have food brought to your room, which ever you prefer," Lumina spoke taking another deep breath, her face showing relief.

"Well I need to go do magic of my own, to help fight off as much of the curse as I can," She said before she began to turn to walk back to the palace.

Zero

Tatsu smiled at her words, and the warmth touched his icy eyes. He hated to see a woman cry, but he could tell she was strong and though they had spoken unkindly just moments before, he felt a certain kinship with her, as he tended to with the immortals he came across. "Yes, you will be easier to find, but fear not, as long as the letter is addressed to me, it will find its way."

He nodded at the invitation to dinner, almost wishing to say more, but biting his tongue instead. There was a great deal of work left to be done. Tatsu watched as she left, head bowing in thought for several minutes as he cleared his mind for the work ahead. Finally he stirred and went about his business.

When time for dinner came, Tatsu found his way back inside, and found his way undisturbed as he made his way to the dinning hall he had shared a goblet of wine with the lady in. There was a look of frustration on his features as he entered.

Ycharley

Lumina left to her second study, the rooms her servants had nicknamed the magic room. She sat down on the floor. What could beat darkness better then light. Lumina breathed deeply as she sat with her legs crossed on the cool floor. She closed her eyes, knowing that she would be rather exhausted after what she was about to do, but desperate times called for desperate measures right?

She prayed to her goddess for a moment before she finally began. Light soon began to seeped from her bod, giving the room a cozy feel. The air warmed a bit as the light mixed and spread. She stayed in the meditative state for as long as she could, trying to fight the curse with her own abilities, but she was never good at using them for good.

She opened her eyes around dinner time, her head pounding and her body weak. She stood slowly, feeling a bit unsteady on her feet. Still she knew that eating would make her feel better so she made her way to the dinning hall. She was relieved when she saw Tatsu, still she almost wished he wasn't there. She didn't him to see her in such a weakened state. She walked to sit across from him, offering him a warm smile, still it was clear she had strained herself in her magic. The way she moved showed her weakness and exhaustion. 

Zero

Tatsu moved quickly to pull out Lumina's chair for her, as was the gentlemanly thing to do. He could tell that she was tired, and it was no wonder. All the time he'd been searching, he could sense her magic radiating from somewhere inside even as he had been combing the grounds for signs of foul magic.

He smiled faintly, letting the frustration slip from his mind like water flowing out of a drain. As soon as she was seated he moved to take the chair across from him. "You look exhausted, Lady Lumina. I hope that your efforts have been more fruitful than my own have been so far. I have detected nothing of malice as of yet. Not even a trace."

Ycharley

Lumina smiled slightly, though it didn't reach her eyes. "I just hope that my efforts won't make yours more difficult," She began before covering her mouth with her napkin and coughing. She then looked up, wadding the cloth napkin in her hand, "Excuse me, when I use my powers excessively it makes me a bit sick physically," She explained.

"I don't make enemies with amateurs, I tend to pick the best of the best when it comes to enemies actually.  I don't know what that says about my character or reputation, hopefully something good," She continued to speak, her smile finally reaching her eyes. Servants started bring food on trays and goblets filled with wine.

Zero

Tatsu settled back in his chair, watching his hostess through half-lidded eyes. He inclined his head slightly, but remained silent as she coughed into her napkin and explained about her powers. It was a weakness, but he did not acknowledge or draw attention to it. That would have been rude. Idly he wondered if there might be anything he could do to aid in her efforts, but remained otherwise silent as she continued to speak.

Finally as the servants began arriving with he stirred from his stillness. "They say a man with no enemies is a man who never stood for anything. I imagine the same could be said for a woman, and so the measure of your enemies is only a measure of the deeds you have done. So a good deal, it says."