Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Happenings [Glob] [M]

Started by DragonSong, February 04, 2016, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Midnight was nearing the end of her rope, exhausted and irritated with the world. Trudging along beside the river, she could feel even her superior stamina starting to flag.

Let me take over. You need to rest.

Scowling, she brushed her sister's voice off. "I'm fine, don't worry about it." No sooner had the words left her mouth when she snagged her toe on a rock and nearly twisted an ankle, only her quick reflexes saving her from toppling into the water that ran beside them.

"Fine," she grumbled, sensing Starbright's smugness. Closing her eyes, she let herself sink back into her consciousness- it was rather like meditation, but somehow deeper.

As if a beam of sunlight was lighting the young woman's hair, coal black changed to flaxen gold in a ripple of color. Her body shivered slightly and when she blinked her eyes open blood red had changed to clear, sky blue.

Starbright looked down at herself with a small sigh. She was covered in small scrapes and bruises that she couldn't even entirely remember getting. You really need to take better care of this thing. It's not just your body.

Yeah, yeah, shut up.

"Oh, go to sleep," she snipped quietly. "You're grouchy when you're tired." Hefting her pack a bit higher on her back, the girl set off again with renewed energy, a small spring in her step. One of the nice things about their "condition" was that they could travel longer distances without needing rest by "switching drivers" as Midnight referred to it. One sister would rest in the back corners of their mind while the other controlled their body. An odd system, but it worked.

However, though her mind was refreshed, Starbright knew for the sake of her body she'd have to stop and take a real rest soon. Still, she found herself humming softly as she made her way downstream. It was a beautiful evening, the sun sinking ever lower and creating a starburst of color. It was in her nature to enjoy the little things.

DaGlobster

"No, that's not it."

Vel muttered to himself as he looked down at a book, and then back at the river's water. He made signs with his three available hands. Water from the river rose up into a blob, and started taking a vaguely humanoid shape.

"There we go, come on..."

DragonSong

Hearing a voice up ahead, Starbright paused. She almost asked Midnight what to do- what if they encountered someone or something dangerous- then brushed the thought aside. She was being paranoid, and her sister needed rest.

Cautiously, she moved forward again, coming around a bend in the river. She stopped short, eyes going wide as she located she assumed must be the owner of the voice.

What- what even was that?

Whatever it was, it appeared to be doing magic. Both shocked and fascinated, the young woman could only stare, eyes flicking from the strange, mechanical looking creature to the water it was manipulating.

DaGlobster

Vel continued to form the water golem, until finally, it took a vaguely feminine shape. It opened its eyes, and they glowed a soft yellow.

"Alright, now come over here..." Vel said, and he motioned to himself and started to backpedal. The water golem walked towards the river bank, but as soon as it stepped onto land, it fell into a mere puddle.

Vel sagged.

"Almost."

A moment of silence, and he crossed both sets of arms. It seemed he hadn't yet noticed Starbright's presence.

DragonSong

Starbright gasped slightly as the water-woman moved toward land. She found herself sagging a bit in disappointment along with the spell caster. It was a very pretty trick, she wished she'd been able to see it completed.

"Um, excuse me?" She took a hesitant step forward, not wanting to startle the stranger. "Hello?"

DaGlobster

A voice.

Vel wheeled about to face the source, and he went stock still as he stared at her. He joined his hands.

"Um."

He raised a hand and waved.

"Hello."

DragonSong

Starbright waved automatically in response, a small smile twitching at her lips. Midnight probably would have been more wary, but she found her curiosity was winning out in this situation.

"Could I...ask what you were doing?" she asked slowly, taking a step forward. Her eyes flicked from him- his voice indicated that he was male, anyway- to the water.

DaGlobster

"Oh, well..."

A few ticks and Vel turned back to the water.

"I was just practicing. Water golems. They lose cohesiveness when they exit water, though, so perh--" Vel stopped talking suddenly, and sighed.

"My name is Vel."

DragonSong

She smiled a bit. "Starbright." Taking another step closer, she tilted her head curiously and murmured, "Yes? You were going to say something- so perhaps...?" She trailed off, hoping he would fill in the blank.

If Midnight had been awake she would have snapped at her for wasting time and letting down her guard. But she was curious, so she decided to take advantage of her sister's rest.

DaGlobster

"W-Well, perhaps if I mixed in a little earth with the water..."

He snapped his fingers, a light, clicky noise.

"Like a mud golem!"

DragonSong

Starbright giggled a bit. She couldn't help it. He was interesting to watch. "What's a golem, exactly?" she asked taking a cautious step closer. "And...well, if you don't mind me asking...what are you?"

DaGlobster

"Well, a golem is a construct. Constructs are like... artificial beings. I'm a construct as well."

Another awkward pause.

"Except golems are made of just one material. Like a stone golem's made just out of stone. I'm made of brass, wood, and steel."

DragonSong

"Really?" She inched even closer, looking at him curiously. "Can all constructs do magic then? And who made you? Someone must have."

Suddenly realizing how forward she was being, she blushed and snapped her mouth shut. "Forgive me, that was rude."

DaGlobster

"Oh, it's quite alright, I'm used to it," Vel said. This girl was getting awful close to him. She could probably hear all the clockwork ticking away inside of him!

"So... are you on your way to somewhere?"

DragonSong

Starbright could in fact hear the gentle ticking sounds, and she tilted her head curiously but didn't question it. "Well, yes and no," she answered him with a small smile. "I am traveling, but I have no specific destination you see."

Giving him a quick up and down look, she asked in turn, "What about you then? Um, Sir?"

DaGlobster

"I'm learning!" Vel said, and motioned to the forest around them.

"I seek to learn everything there is to know about the planet we live on."

DragonSong

"Wow." Her eyes widened a bit. "That's quite a goal." And one she found she could respect, despite being a little unrealistic. With a small smile, she asked, "How far do you think you've gotten with that?"

It could have been a sarcastic barb, but her tone was kind and genuinely curious.

DaGlobster

"Well, through a lot of very complicated math, I can tell you I'm around thirty percent done with that," Vel said.

"Much of the world is already know, but t'd those hidden, undiscovered treasures that I'm after. The secrets of magic, the oceans, and the moon above."

DragonSong

Starbright found herself smiling as she listened to him. She couldn't help it, he was just so passionate about it.

A sudden thought struck her and she actually gasped. "Wait a moment," she said quickly, looking at him with wide eyes. "You said- secrets of magic? Do you...how much do you know about old magics? Strange ones?"

In all their life the girls had never met anyone who could help them with their strange condition, and as they grew older it began to chafe more and more. Perhaps an answer had somehow fallen into her lap.

A wild and desperate hope, perhaps, but it was there all the same.

DaGlobster

When the magic related question came up, Vel looked much more excited. He didn't have a face, but it was clear in the way he literally wound up, standing up straight and putting his hands together.

"Magic is my greatest area of expertise!" Vel proclaimed.

"I have knowledge of magical traditions that date back thousands of years."