Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Be Found

Started by DragonSong, February 10, 2017, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTyrant

Viktor rode across the rolling hilltops, looking back every now and then to make sure his companion was behind him. "I don't believe you ever told me your name." He said, raising a brow as he slowed just enough to where he was side-by-side with her. He noticed the lack of a saddle, but chose not to comment on it. The Fae were beings of nature, so perhaps being without a saddle was just the way she preferred things.

After a bit of silence, Viktor pointed ahead to a small crack in the side of a tall hill which seemed to be miles away. "There... The Arcane Catacombs. Crawling with undead... That fancy magic of yours may prove useless against the most legendary mages in all of Serendiity. If need be, stay behind me." With that, he cracked the reigns yet again, the horse whinnying loudly before taking off at full speed for their destination.

DragonSong

"Anoria." She glanced at him. "I didn't lie before, that truly is my name."

Some fae were bound by their names, but she'd never felt such compulsion, so she saw no real reason to hide it.

KingTyrant

"Anoria... There. Now I dont have to keep calling you, Fae." He joked, chuckling slightly. When his joke was met with silence, he frowned, continuing on to their destination. This one clearly held some kind of grudge against humans, or was just a rather stoic individual. Whatever the case, he didn't feel the need to provoke her.

In due time, they were at the cave. Viktor dismounted, pulling his spear off of his back and holding it at his side protectively. He ducked his head under the rocky overhang, having to practically crawl into the crack in the hillside to enter. When they were in, both of them were struck with a million different lights, some red, some green, some blue. All of them resonated from different jeweled garments and weapons, such as staffs, wands, and cleric's chimes. All of these sat on shelves carved into the stone walls, the stranger artifacts laced on pedestals here and there.

Obscured by their belongings were the dead, wrapped in ornate carpets, their bodies slathered in different gels to perserve their bodies. All of them were embalmed, as were all the dead, in order to perserve what no longer had life. "Stay quiet here... We wouldn't want to disturb the dead." Truth be told, they were probably doing that much just by being here. Still, the king treaded lightly, not daring to touch anything in the first chamber, his footsteps very slow and cautious.

It was only when they came to a long, winding hallway with multiple stairs leading downwards that he oened his mouth to speak again. "So... Who is this... Wing thief?" He asked out of sheer curiosity. The idea of a Fae without wings was an odd one. Just the fact that normal men could overpower such a powerful creature long enough to steal such a precious item, and that she had survived so long without such a vital piece of her being. "There has to be more to this story than you just mislacing such a thing... Care to tell?"

DragonSong

Anoria followed him in silence, content enough not to have to speak.

At least until he asked a direct question. She was already on edge from the overwhelming feelin of death that surrounded them, and she kept glancing back toward light and air, the horses waiting for them peacefully.

She scoffed, shaking her head. "Tell me how you recovered them," she responded bluntly instead of answering.

KingTyrant

Viktor gave a huff. Was she not content with his answer from the night before? Or did the hit she took erase some of her recent memory? Either way, he cleared his throat before beginning to seak. "Everything I've told you is the truth and nothing but the truth. A merchant, along with a party of five arrived at my castle, trying to sell the wings for a hefty profit. I refused, and the merchant spoke of having the wings sent here as an offering to the ancient mages."

He looked ahead as he spoke, eyes darting in every direction as he remained cautious of their surroundings. "He looked to be a greedy little man... Scrawny, with a matted beard and rotten teeth. All of the boys in his party didn't look much better, honestly. For all I knew, he was selling a fake. But alas, he went off to bring them here. No fool would be stupid enough to offer fake Fae wings to the ancient mages." He shook his head, scoffing.

He stopped in his tracks as they entered a large, rectangular chamber, this one much larger than the first. More embalmed, wrapped bodies were shelved, along with all of their belongings as per usual. However, one altar stood in the center of the chamber, with a body enclosed in a glass chamber in the center. Around him were a number of magical candles, which burned a purple color and gave off thin, magical whisps which encircled the altar in a number of different directions.

"Damn... I forgot about this..." He readied his spear. "It's a security measure... We can't avoid it... If we walk in, the candles will go out and the whisps you see there will possess any corpses in the room, including the one in the box. I imagine that body is of someone important, or else all of this wouldn't be necessary. Important usually means powerful. I hope you're ready for a fight." He looked over at her, raising a brow.

DragonSong

Anoria listened with a soft frown. The description of the men wasn't familiar, but she was willing to absorb any information she could.

At his warning, she just nodded sharply. Necromantic magic wasn't her strong suit, and she was cut off from the sky here, but she would manage.

KingTyrant

Viktor, with a heavy sigh, took a step into the booby-trapped room. At that moment, the extremely sensitive flames of the candles were snuffed by the air that hit them as Viktor walked in, the whisps that accompanied the flame suddenly flying towards any dead body they could find. As they entered the bodies, Viktor watched as they stood, dust falling off their grey, rotted skin, bones exposed here and there and their eyes glowing a light purple color.

Suddenly, the glass box in the center burst oen, the final corpse rising up, this one much larger than the others. They all rose, seemingly levitating in mid air. Suddenly, they were adorned in their attire and artifacts, all which lay with them beside their tombs. By the time their feet hit the stone floor again, they were dressed in dusty, black robes and headwraps which obscured their skeletal faces. The largest of them all wore a cylindrical headdress, extending his hands out in front of him as he began levitating once more.

Electricity suddenly connected his palms, all of his allies wielding staffs which spewed similar electric magic. Viktor, spinning his spear, gave a snarl. "Come on, then! Have me fried!" He taunted. At that moment, the leading mage fired off a stream of electricity, aimed directly for him. Viktor dodged to one side, a mage rather close to him attempting to bring a charged staff down on his head. Before he could do so, Viktor thrust his spear up into his skull, the blade poking out of the top of his head. The mage's eyes went black, dying right then, impaled on the spear.

Viktor let the corpse fall, eyes widening before dodging an electric orb launched by another nearby mage. The leading mage looked upon Anoria next, lifting his hands before firing the same lethal electric stream at her. A mage next to him launched a fast-moving orb of electricity as well, hissing evilly as he did so.

DragonSong

For a moment the faerie simply didn't move. Her eyes were closed, head bowed slightly and arms hanging loosely by her sides, palms facing out.

Then her head suddenly snapped up, eyes flaring gold, and she raised her hands with a wordless shout.

The earth in front of her exploded, twisting, gripping roots rising up to weave a shield around her while their thorny brethren lashed out like whips to strike at the walking dead, tearing clothes and gray flesh easily.

KingTyrant

Their electricity spells seemingly bounced off her shield of roots and brambles, merely singeing the wood. The undead mages took slow steps backwards at the sight of the thorn-covered vines, screeching out in pain as they were ripped wide open. Their wide, gaping wounds did not bleed, their insides brown and congealed from decay.

Viktor made a quick sprint from the leading mage as the others fell in a heap, looking to lunge straight for the heart. The mage suddenly fell through the floor in a circle of electricity, reappearing right behind Anoria. Viktor looked over his shoulder, eyes widening. "Anoria! Get out of the way!" He shouted at her, fists tightening around his spear.

He watched as the mage lifted his hands, both sparking violently. He quickly brought both down, preparing to electrocute her. Viktor needed to think fast... He could go for a lightspeed javelin, but there was too much of a risk that she'd be hit. He really hoped she had a trick up her sleeve, because as of currently, he had nothing.

DragonSong

His warning gave her just enough time.

In a whirl of blue and silver, Anoria spun to face her assailant and grabbed his wrists, hissing at the feel of decay.

She snarled, eyes old and powerful. "What is dead should stay dead," she hissed, and sent a pulse of pure fae energy from her fingertips into the reanimated corpse.

KingTyrant

The mage struggled against her grasp, growling hatefully as it prepared to send a stream of electricity at her. It was stopped dead in its tracks as she pumped its body full of Fae energy, screeching in ain as its body suddenly popped like a balloon, rotten body parts flying all over the room. Luckily, no blood to stain anyone's skin. Just like that, silence took over, this room now cleared of any undead mages who were to guard whatever lay ahead.

Viktor visibly flinched as the corpse popped, blinking at Anoria cautiously as he jabbed one point of his spear into the floor. It took him a bit before finally seaking, allowing her to calm herself after being just inches away from electrocution. "If I would've known you could do that, I wouldn't have tossed that vase at you back in Serendipity Castle." He mused.

Looking towards the other end of the room, he spotted three seperate spiral staircases leading down. Viktor frowned... For all he knew, they'd be digging through these tombs for days. "Well... They're your wings. Pick your poison." He gestured towards all their available options. Each would surely just lead them into more death traps, that he knew. But they'd never finish their search if they just stayed here, where it was safe.

DragonSong

Anoria curled her lip, disgusted, and shoved a bit of rotten remains away with her foot.

She looked back at Viktor and quirked an eyebrow. "Have you never seen a Fae's power? Once you called us gods, human."

She turned to move past him, looking at the stairs. "Left," she murmured after a moment. She really had no basis for that, but she sounded confident.

KingTyrant

Viktor gave a nod at her choice, descending the leftmost staircase. "To be fair, you are missing a vital piece of yourself. Not to mention that your kind isn't nearly as... Prominent, in Serendipity as you once were." He said with a slight sigh, not wanting to delve too far into that fact. It truly did upset him that whatever majority presence the Fae once had in the ancient land, modern day Serenians had snuffed out quite well. The Fae, ancient beings of nature, learned firsthand that, over time, as humans upheaved the forests, broke away at the mountains for precious ores, hunted beasts into extinction... They learned that with that, their time had come to pass, as unfortunate as it truly was.

"I'm sorry... If I could rewrite what's been done, I would. I'm not like my ancestors... I myself am a man of nature much like you." He said after descending the stairs in silence for quite some time. "I would've liked to see Serendipity in its purest state... I imagine without the cities, and war... Pollution, mining, human magic... This land would be breathtaking. Alas, a being such as yourself is seeing it in its current state, and... I can't imagine the heartache." He shook his head. "But that's humanity, for you. We see a world like this, and all we can come up with is ways to industrialize it."

By the time he was done with his tirade, they were at the bottom of the staircase, looking upon something astonishing. They stood at the top of a huge, cylindrical chamber, tombs like the ones they had seen in the previous two rooms lining every inch of the walls, stretching down into a pit of darkness. A fall from this height would pulverize, surely. Along the walls also rested a huge set of wooden steps, leading all the way down into the darkness. Viktor, looking upon the scene, made an exhausted face. "Well... Ladies first." He looked back at her.

DragonSong

Anoria didn't feel the need to respond to his take on the current state of her world. He wasn't saying anything she didn't already know.

With a quiet sigh, she eyed the new set of stairs warily and tilted her head to the side slightly. "And here I though the bravery of man was your only real redeeming feature," she scoffed quietly as she moved forward.

KingTyrant

Viktor could do nothing more than sigh at her scathing remark, finding it more productive simply not to respond. She had a good reason for her attitude towards his kind, after all. Still... It became more and more tiring to fight alongside her, as she had no real notion of friendliness to give towards him. The worry of her leaving him to die down here once she had her wings was fresh in his mind, as well. Perhaps the smarter choice would've been keeping her in the dungeon and sending his best men after the wings... However, it was too late to regret his choices. He was already here, deep in the catacombs of mages past.

As they descended the massive, winding staircase all the way to the bottom of the cylindrical chamber, Viktor could've sworn he heard groans and faint whispers, all coming from the darkness that shrouded the bottom of the chamber. He estimated that at any time now, more of the dead would be here to wreak havoc on their quest. "You hear that? Keep up your guard." He said sternly, gripping his spear tight as they went. With every open tomb he passed, he kept a close eye on the cobweb-covered, dusty bodies that lay within. At this point, any corpse in this place was a serious threat.

However, it didn't take long at all for the source of the sound to show its ugly face. The groans turned into shrill, piercing screeches, three figures in black, tattered robes flying up from the shadows with skeletal wings. In fact, their entire bodies were nothing more than decrepit bones, the spaces between the boney fingers of the wings being filled in with dark magic. They wielded staffs which were much taller than their own bodies, made of rusty iron with ornate chimes at the end. The chimes pulsated with vile, dark magic of the same reddish-purple hue of their wings, screeching out once more before launching three geysers of the energy right at them.

Viktor's eyes widened, shoving Anoria out of harm's way before rolling from another geyser aimed right at him. Once the attacks faded, Viktor spun his spear in his hands, the entire weapon lighting up brightly. "Close your eyes, if you value your sight!" He warned her. He aimed the spear, tossing it like a javelin at the skeletal being right in front of him. As it whizzed through the air, it resembled a perfectly straight bolt of lightning, colliding with the bones of his target and exploding in every direction, some of the bones charred and glowing with hot embers. The spear stuck into the stone of the wall right in front of them, the weapon's glow fading.

Viktor reached forward to bring back his weapon telekinetically, barely having time to react as the remaining skeletal figures disappeared in two seperate clouds of black. One reappeared right beside him, thrusting its staff into his chest, which sent him tumbling back into Anoria. The other reappeared at her side, screeching loudly as it formed a magical blade of dark energy, long enough to strike them both down, if it saw fit. Raising the blade high above its head, it brought it down hard and fast, Viktor instinctively jumping to his feet to escape the blow. Alas, the skeleton was too fast. He'd be caught by the blade regardless.

DragonSong

"Get off me!" Anoria shrieked as the mortal man shoved her out of the way, not quite registering what he was doing until it had happened.

Wonderful. More human dead. She made a noise of disgust and raised a hand to shield her eyes, then they were on them again.

With an almost catlike hiss, she staggered as Viktor was sent careening into her and braced his arm with her hand, proving to be much stronger than her slight frame would suggest. Duck, turn, hand raised to attack-

She could kill the thing now, crush the magic that animated it in her palm like so much spare rubble. But if she did, it would have time to bring down its blade, and the human would die.

Cursing herself, Anoria flung her hand out, shouting in a language that made the ears ring and magic buzz and crackle through the air. The blade was knocked from the reanimated creature's hand, and its attention turned to her.

KingTyrant

The undead being did just that. As its blade was sent spinning through the air, off into the darkness of the chamber somewhere, its eyes landed on her. Without wasting any time, it waved its skeletal fingers, a hand made of pure, dark magic forming in mid-air. It flew out towards her, aiming to grasp around her arms and torso and fling her into the pit.

Meanwhile, the other challenger behind Viktor formed its own magical blade, thrusting at the king in hopes of catching him off-guard. This proved to be a failure, however, as Viktor rolled over the attack and stood at the skeletal mage's side. Raising a hand, he gave a grunt of fury as his spear, embedded in the wall across the pit, came flying back towards him.

The tip of the weapon went straight through the mage's spine, snapping it like a twig as both halves tumbled into the darkness, where the remains of the skeleton from earlier still rested. He caught the spear as soon as his opponent was dead, his attention snapping towards Anoria, who was in clear danger. Still, where he stood, he wouldn't be able to help her in time. This was her move.

DragonSong

The faerie simply stared the necromantic construct down, evidently unconcerned. "Return to where you came from, abomination," she hissed, and flicked her fingers at it.

Bone and shadow shivered, then warped, snapping and exploding outward.

Anoria collapsed to her knees, drawing in sharp breaths. Despite her bravado, that had taken a lot out of her.

KingTyrant

Viktor watched as the skeletal mage's bones began to tremor with magic, then crack and splinter here and there. Covering his face, he watched as the mage's spell was destroyed, then his own frame was sent flying in bits and pieces, all around them. Once the dust had settled, he opened an eye to see Anoria, knelt down and weakened from her own actions.

He himself stood, walking over to her and holding out a hand. "Are you alright?" He asked. He knew better than to try and be friendly with her. He knew the response he'd be given. But why allow their relationship to be so apathetic, and risk her stabbing him in the back? It'd be better for him to befriend this being while he still could.

Looking down the stairs, he noticed a doorway at the very end, illuminated by what looked to be torches with blue flames. "I'd hate to think what horrors wait for us down there..." He shook his head, continuing down. Luckily, no more undead stood in their path, and Viktor was able to make his way down and through the doorway with no issue. Beyond the door, a long, stone bridge with coffins lining the floor underneath lay before them, the way lit by more blue torches.

He walked over the bridge cautiously, spear at the ready as he looked from side-to-side, expecting something to jump from one of these coffins at any moment. Upon closer inspection, some of the coffins had already been opened. The smell of rot was fresh, too. Did... Someone make it here before they could? The thought caused his brows to furrow... Possibly grave robbers. "I have a bad feeling the undead aren't our only worries." He told Anoria.

DragonSong

The faerie got to her feet, ignoring his hand but not scoffing at him. She was too tired for that.

She followed in silence, eyes darting around warily and every sense ok high alert. A small nod was the only response she gave to his assessment- she couldn't exactly say he was wrong.