Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Too hot to handle

Started by Draconian, June 23, 2023, 05:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

There was a limp to Albert's walk, his face scrunched up in a wince. The horse he'd rented had thrown him and run off at a pace that could only have been trained into it. Unfortunately, that meant his belongings went with it. There was a few moments, watching the horse race down the dirt road that he considered chasing after it. Then one step, a twinge in his hip and the whole plan crumbled away.

He'd just buy new things later. There had been nothing in those bags that wasn't replaceable and he'd lived lean before. Albert sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and looking up at the sky, off in the distance, gauging for when the sun would be going down. A few hours, at least, until dark.

Albert set off, maybe, just maybe, his horse would be at the next settlement, pausing to having some kind soul remove the saddle and harness. Pilfer the contents of his pack. A groan at his plight and he hobbled his way along. He was a someone humans could consider handsome. Tanned skin and clean shaven, dark eyelashes framing mismatched eyes  surrounded by wispy flame-red hair. There was something distinctly inhuman about Albert that most people could pick up.

The façade was good, but there were little things that just didn't suit human movement. The way he swung his arms when he walked, the way he tilted his head when he listened for other people. Albert walked for about an hour before the pain in his leg radiated too much that he needed to pause and take a break. The pain almost made it difficult to get a whole breath in and he leaned against the first tree he found, head down. It too a lot longer than he'd wanted, several people had gone by on carts, no doubt to exactly where he was headed.

Shortly after sundown, no sign of that bastard horse, that Albert finally reached his original destination. A simple inn. Sort of. The light was on and the area was homey, a fire was lit in the hearth and while it wasn't bone-cold outside, the fire fended off any chill that may have tried to set in. "Hi Love," Albert said to the woman who ran the tavern, catching sight of himself in decorative piece of glass, his hair looking a little feathery, "I'll have the meal of the night and a drink for me and..."

He glanced over his shoulder, head tilted before he spotted someone sitting on their own. "That person, right there," Albert smiled at her, put coin on the counter - what fool would keep their coin in their saddlebags? - and waltzed over to seat himself at his new friends table with a small groan because damn if walking for hours made his ass hurt more than the initial tumble.

"You know," Albert said, "Lots of shady people 'round these parts," he glanced around to view perfectly normal people, "you traveling on your own or did I take your companions seat? It wasn't warm when I sat down," He gave a friendly smile and nodded, "I'm Albert, I got you a drink."

DawnFlower

She was sitting with eyes closed for a long lasting moment, furrowing eyebrows as the previous encounter with an unwelcome stranger spoiled her good mood. How could this well-dressed man be so dismissive of her earnest inquiry?..

When door opened, inviting soft breath or air and the hearth flames flickered, Dawn was woken from her reflective thinking and turned head to glance at the limping man. She met others who would be blessed — if one views such a thing as a blessing at all — by fae blood, just like her, and something in stranger's manners stood out to her, if not the hue and tone of his hair. Girl's bleak eyes watched as the newcomer spoke to the hostess, soon more focused on the apparent discomfort with which he moved.

What was more surprising, however, is when the stranger approached and soon Dawn found herself in his company. Covering the tiny golden mote in her pale hands, unable to completely remove a worry from her expression, she still replied, remaining otherwise calm,

"The road is only my own, I've yet to meet one who'd be willing to share it with me."

The young woman, late in her teens, yet apparently spared from most visible discomforts of the changing age, gave Albert her smile and a small nod.

"I am Dawn. I appreciate your kindness, and perhaps was too quick to judge the locale.."

Her head tilted a little and positive expression changed for that of fleeting concern.

"Impolite it be, you seem to be struggling — I could try to take care of this, as a gratitude, at least."
"Xxzerkqei"

Draconian

Share the road?

Albert gave his head a tilt while he listened, getting comfortable in the chair and glancing off to the area around them. It was always a passive habit to look for familiar faces in the area, see if he should leave or stay. So far, nothing was familiar and so he looked back at the girl in front of him.

"Take care of...?" Albert motioned to his side and then gave a small hesitant smile, "My hip?" He didn't have the heart to ruin her view of the location by telling her he was not local, but he looked at her hands and held his own out, placing them on the table in front of him before taking a deep gulp of his drink and sighing.

"It should heal on it's own fine, but how would you be able to help? Not that I don't appreciate the help and will gladly accept it." His voice took on a curious tone and he tilted his head in that bird like manner, a quick tilt and a quick stop. For a brief moment, his eyes looked a little unfocussed when the door opened and a new person came into the building, his hair, the brilliant orange-red looked featherlike while his attention was taken away, but just as quickly it looked again like regular hair.

DawnFlower

Girl's features tensed momentarily, before her gaze followed across the table and down, to where man's hurting hip would be.

"I have a gift of restoration. Could rid you of the pain, change away the damage. Sometimes I can even mend scars."

Showing her hand and opening palm she released what looked like a small golden butterfly, or a moth, that fluttered wings silently above the table, before travelling downwards. There were two more that followed, and a couple more, all reaching Albert's leg and dissipating in a soft, cold glow that touched his skin.

Dawn looked down at the table with an expression that was difficult to put a finger on, while man's pain tingled, gradually fading away. Strangely enough, he also felt an odd feeling of nostalgia coming onto him, and the mended parts felt a bit uncomfortable heavy, if only for a moment.

"Should it be it, now."

She nodded, turning to see their meals being brought to the table, as the remnants of strange glow disappeared.
"Xxzerkqei"