Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Upon the Battlements

Started by Goldie, January 15, 2005, 04:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Fenway stood on the palace walls, staring all around for any signs of unrest or possible attack from outside the gates.  Things had been quiet lately, and maybe that was a good thing, but that didn't keep him from being on guard.  The last attack had come when things were quiet, and even if it wasn't a direct attack against Serendippity, any type of attack would be bad.

His amber eyes were sharp as he picked up every little sign of movement down along the road to the castle.  It was something he had always been good at, seeing things that normal people missed.  It earned him the title of "Master Hunter" in his home town by the sea.  Hunting had never been his thing though, and he wandered off the track his parents had laid for him to become a knight and travel around the world, freeing kingdoms from horrid monsters!  Rescuing Princesses locked away in high towers waiting for their Prince Charming!

He chuckled.  Being a knight was far more than that, in fact sometimes it seemed like a knight received little or no glory.  It had been a silly thought when he had started his page training, and it had died during those years.  Being a knight was knowing that you were fighting for honor and for what you believed in, not for receiving some special reward in gold, or a princess's hand in marriage; and frankly...he could care less about the material things.  He was protecting a great kingdom he had grown to love.

With a sigh he continued his scanning of the area and immediately a lone figure walking up the path towards the castle drew his attention.  He immediately noticed her flaming red hair that caught the sunlight like a burning arrow in the night.  Fenway frowned.  It seemed like they had a visitor and he might as well be the one to welcome her and make sure that she wasn't going to try and assasinate anyone today.

Climbing down the stairs, he waited at the gate and then nodded his head politely as she walked up.  She looked like she had been on the road for weeks and had slept outside every night.  The cloak that was wrapped around her shoulders was faded from heavy use, the bottom tattered and stained.  Her sea green eyes were hard, or rather...emotionless, like she had given up on feeling anything or she just hated where she was.

"Who are you and what brings you to Serendippity Castle, Miss?"

If only Fenway knew the he was right when he thought that she hated where she was.  People...that's all there were in the castle...people, people, and more people!  It made her want to scream!  When she was traveling with Arion she had been happy for once in her life, able to talk to someone as an equal and not worry about them hating her for who she was.  Well maybe that was because he had said that they were kin in some way...but that couldn't be possible, she was human, he was watang.  Leaving him in the woods had been a hard thing for her to do...it felt as if she were throwing off her cover and had to enter the world completely naked.

Upon reaching the castle gates she was a bit surprised to see someone already waiting for her at the gate....a guard...peachy.  She probably looked ruthless enough that they would turn her away.

"Great.." she muttered under her breath, stopping before the man.  She forced herself to look up at him and found that he really wasn't that much taller than she was.  5'9" maybe?  "My name's Chailyn." she told him, a defiant look gleaming in her eyes that dared him to say anything, "Chailyn of Adela, and I've come because...." crap...why did she come?  Could she tell him 'I've come here to help you with the siege because my Watang friend told me that I would be needed?'  That would definately NOT be the right thing to say, "I've come to help aid the Kingdom....as...as a guard."  yeah, THAT sounded convincing.  Great, just when she thought that her confidence had risen, it had to fall again.  Even her eyes lost the emotionless they had held slightly, revealing the scared girl hidden beneath.

Fenway raised his eyebrow as he looked at her.  She was fairly tall, lean, but she didn't look like she could wield a sword...but then he had been surprised before.  "Can you wield a sword?" he asked and noted her slight droop of the shoulders.

"No...not exactly." she replied.

"Bow and arrows?"

"....no...."

"Daggers?"

"I use to use them when....." she stopped when she saw him looking hard at her and stopped her sentence, "no...not daggers either."

"How do you expect to aid the kingdom, Chailyn, if you cannot use the basic weapons of protection?"  Her shoulders dropped.  This was more difficult than she had anticipated.  Why hadn't she thought about what should could DO?  She was no fighter!  Not in the sense that protecting the castle would require!

"I...I..." she had lost all of her confidence in the few sentences that they had spoken to one another.  What would mentioning her magic do now?  He already knew she was worthless, "I have magic." she told him meekly, hands clenched at her sides.  Damnit damnit damnit!  Why did her nerve turn to jelly when she was around people!?

The guards eyes lifted in acknowlegment.  Magic was always good, especially against magical enemies, "What is you magic?  Perhaps you can earn a place among the palace mages.  Have you much training?"

She shook her head, looking forlorn, "I can control water, but I've basically trained myself.  My...family did not entirely support my magical education."  her words were laced with bitterness and hatred toward her foster father and mother; coated so much that Fenway knew better then to press more into her family life.  He knew what it was like to turn away from what your parents wanted.

"Well, come in.  We'll see what we can do...have you tested and such.  My name is Fenway and I am the Master at Arms of Serendippity Castle.  If you have any problems, do not hesitate to call upon me."  With another polite nod, he led Chailyn into the castle.

Anonymous

The dark oval sprouted from the air, filling in, solid black, like a shadow, against the outer wall of the castle.Damn, he cursed in hi mind. He was hoping Qee'lakstreea would have been able to get him within the battlements. It was no big deal though, he could get in easily enough. He felt the smooth edges of his pure mithril armor, worked in the abyys, hugging his body better than any garment ever had, under his black cloak. The hood covered his face, concealing his white hair and the soft gleam of his red eyes. His mouth remained closed. He carried nothing with him, save the daggers strapped to his ankles and wrists, hidden under the cloak.Nothing to jingle. Nothing to shine. Nothin to interrupt his complete silence. He smirked evilly under his hood. No race could match the silence of the drow, and he was revered in his ways among his kin.

The portal closed, silently, instantly,after he had cleared it. He pressed his body against the wall, his chest feeling the lack of heat, the lifelessness, unable to be found in the underdark. His head moved up,still straight against the wall, looking up at the dim twinkle of the stars so high above. No doubt many of his light skinned cousins were looking at the same stars. They both loved them, but for different reasons. They meant nighttime. The time of the drow. He looked at the top of the wall, thinking of how he should do this. It would have to be perfect.He never performed any less than than.He enacts a globe of darkness around himself, one of the deadly natural abilities of the dreaded dark elves. Everything went dark around him, but Qee'lakstreea was his eyes. The demon in his swords, which lay condensed and embedded in his arms, sensed everything around them, more efficiently than Venorik's own orbs. He started levitating up, right up against the wall, the globe of darkness,( though not very noticable, looking as a shadow) staying around his form. He felt with his hands, though he already knew himself to be there, the end of the wall after about seven seconds of levitating directly up. He quickly descended the other side. He knew that even as a shadow in the dead of night, mages might detect him or magic alarms might be set, thought he doubted any average gaurds would notice him, and any who noticed something odd would most likely dismiss it for what it was. A silent shadow.

He sprinted towards the moat, jumping, using the combination beween his velocity and levitation to hurtle himself across in a few seconds, then sprinted towards the castle. It was not far. If archers fired, they would more than likely miss, for the drow was in darkness and they would basically shooting blind. He didn't miss a beat, jumping,propelling the levitation as he scaled the wall of the complex. He broke into the first window he found, coming into a hallway, lavish and lightened, by what he could not tell. The window broken,the globe dissipated, he looked for somewhere ti hide.He went after the first door, quickly, yet soundlessly, turning the knob. It was a single room, he noticed with a small sigh, but then noticed a human, in night clothes, staring at him in shock. A bedroom? He could not tell the difference with these surface dwellers.

He waited but a moment, collecting himself and pulling out a dagger in each hand with a smirk. The human was unarmed, as well. It tried to stumble away, to scared and busy to scream, yet soon couldn't as an X of red was carved onto his neck, black hands over his shoulders, the gleam of a blade catching his eye. Venorik smiled as the weak human fell to the ground, clutching his severed vocal cords. The drow leaned over him, allowing the human to see the smile under the dark hood.Venorik felt the warmth of the blood pooling about his boots. and how free the lifeblood was flowing! He felt the increased heartbeat, the natural high given to him by watching another suffer. No matter the end, it was already worth it. The lone drow smiled wider.

The time of the drow.

Anonymous

[OOC: Heh.. I'm tired so this is probably going to be utter shit, but oh well!]

Liam and Kouken were retiring to their room when, out of the corner of his eye, Liam caught the glimpse of a magical aura. The silver tiger turned to look out the window and saw the aura go through the castle courtyard with no difficulty. Had he not spent years in The Realm protecting Lena, Liam would have dismissed the oddly coloured aura. But now? With a siege on the next horizon and the castle on edge--No, Liam took this for exactly what it was: an intruder.

With a silence nod to Kouken, Liam transformed into a great dragon as he leapt out of the second floor window and allowed his wings to glide him to the ground--right infront of the intruding drow and right before it could reach the window. Now, standing between Venorik and the castle itself was a towering silver dragon.

Shortly after Liam had jumped out of the window, Kouken followed. Shifting into a dragon as well--for the armored skin dragons possessed--Kouken came up behind the drow and exhaled a powerful string of fire over the shadowed shield the drow had. There was no escaping the two. They were bound to two beings within the castle and could only die if those they were bound to died themselves. Aside from that, they not only could see with their animal precision, but could see auras as well. Lights of various colours, luminating the dark.

Liam stood poised and waited for the drow to make the first move, his eyes watching the aura--for it gave away many more details than just pain sight every could.

Kouken's breath of fire, however, illuminated the direct position of the drow to the archers hidden away in towers high above. Their arrows were swift and many would find their target...

[OOC: Interesting way to begin the siege... ^^;; keke! Now I must go to bed before I pass out here! LOL!]

Anonymous

"vith." he said to himself as the dragon came in, followed by another. How he hated the pitiful creatures.He could only smile though. Qee'lakstreea was a demon of flames, and the drow barely felt the heat of the infernal breath showing down from the beast. He made a mental note to deal with them later. Then arrows rained down, and those were entirely differents! Some hooked and slid from his magical piwaf'wi cloak, some bounced or broke on his armor. One did get through a seam enough to draw a small line of blood, but most fell short due to the impenetrable globe of darkness surrounding him. Qee'lakstreea had other tricks. He felt his demon companion'ss energy course through his veins, putting his hand out in front of his still running form. A small fireball is loosed from his palm, right into the first beast's open mouth. Maybe enough to disract it for a moment.

If any could see through the globe, they would have seen the unmatched grace and balance he moved with. They would have seen him summersault  course around the dragon, to the castle, running out of the roll with trained ease. They would have seen him uncase his wings with a smile, shooting up into the air at amazing speed, for he was much smaller than a dragon, with strong balor wings. He bursts through a window, shoulder first, landing on his feet, folding the wings. He pulled the arrow from where it had lodged, slowing, making the cut not but a minor inconvenience, as he strode toward a door in the hallway he now stood in. He had more important callings than two dragons who more than likely share the same bed.

Quickly, yet soundlessly,he  turned  the knob. It was a single room, he noticed with a small sigh, but then noticed a human, in night clothes, staring at him in shock. A bedroom? He could not tell the difference with these surface dwellers.

He waited but a moment, collecting himself and pulling out a dagger in each hand with a smirk. The human was unarmed, as well. It tried to stumble away, to scared and busy to scream, yet soon couldn't as an X of red was carved onto his neck, black hands over his shoulders, the gleam of a blade catching his eye. Venorik smiled as the weak human fell to the ground, clutching his severed vocal cords. The drow leaned over him, allowing the human to see the smile under the dark hood.Venorik felt the warmth of the blood pooling about his boots. and how free the lifeblood was flowing! He felt the increased heartbeat, the natural high given to him by watching another suffer. No matter the end, it was already worth it. The lone drow smiled wider.

The time of the drow.

Anonymous

Liam moved with the drow. He the drow moved to the left to avoid him, so did he. As it moved to the right, Liam followed. There was absolutely no way this thing was getting inside the castle while Liam and Kouken still lived--which would hopefully amount to never.

Liam pounced at the aura, trying to angle his body to move with it as his talons, spread out to cover the most ground, shot for the aura, narrowly missing it but to his surprise it was Kouken who was playing catch-up and Liam could see the change in aura about the drow as Kouken's might dragon's talons swiped at the being with formidable force.

The storm of arrows continued, but they were slowly and becoming more precise. When Kouken or Liam were in the way, they stopped. When an opening came forth, a few shot down and when Kouken would do them the pleasure of illuminating the shadow, a fury of arrows would respond.

"Who are you?" A voice telepathed to Venorik.

"Why are you here?" Another voice telepathed, almost overlapping the first. "With the Dread Army?" It added.

Liam and Kouken were still very much following the drow. They would not permit it within the castle walls. Though they'd like to kill it, rendering it unconscious and maiming it would serve the same purpose. Imprisoning it would be nice, but that would mean they needed a guard or someone with opposable thumbs to get the job done!

Anonymous

He had underestimated the dragons. He certainly didn't expects dragons to be here at all. But perhaps, by the questioning, he could help himself. His body continued to dance around the dragons, a playful game to him. After all, if he died, he died, it mattered not to him..as long as he gets his fun first. He took no other hostilities toward the dragons, dodging and leaping around. One big swipe did come through as he was jumping back in a twisting arc, tearing lines in his magical cloak and putting scratches into his armor. He felt it on his skin, and under it. That's not gonna feel good in the morning, he things to himself. He decides to answer the question,hoping to get past these dragons." Not with the dread army." Qee'lakstreea shoots back to the dragon telepathically." I am Venorik Vharzyym of Lith My'athar. I have come in terms of peace in helping the castle, an emissary from the drow city. I tried to enter unnoticed with the assumption that a drow would not be allowed in, as in many other places." If it were to be coming from himself, it would be readable.But Qee'lakstreea could accurately duplicate any emotion. Even sincerity.

He kept running and watching, hoping the dragons would stop. The truth was, if he had to help defend the castle to stay alive, he would, and he would be loyal. His life was more important, yes, he would be loyal. He felt another arrow bounce from his armor. Qee'lakstreea comminicates with the dragon again." Lith My'athar would be a crutial ally...but if this hostility continues, it will be a merciless foe."

Anonymous

Liam and Kouken were very much focused on the drow. It was almost like a playful game of cat and mouse as, it seemed, neither side was really doing anything to harm the other--except when Liam and Kouken lunged and actually got Venorik, of course.

Liam was not fooled by Venorik for a second. The story was so farfetched! He wanted to help the castle by sneaking in at night under some shield? Did he expect his story to be wholeheartedly believable?!

"Then let a mage place you under magical binds, strip you of all weapons and contain any magic you have." Liam telepathed, his tone almost having an air of sarcasm.

Quite suddenly, Liam felt the presense of magic and out of no where vines sprouted fromt he ground--only they weren't vines, not exactly. A metallic tint coated the vines as if the earth was made of steel. They wrapped their way up Venorik's legs and up to his arms, going through the shadow he used to conceil himself and, from a window high in the castle, Kouken saw the aura of a mage.

Kouken inhaled Venorik's scent. "You smell of the Dark Mage village, dearest intruder." He said, a smirk coming over his draconic face as he kept one step ahead of Venorik, completely aware and confident in Liam's ability.

Anonymous

He was almost suprised that the dragon didn't believe him. He was even more suprised when metallic vines started wrapping their way around his legs. " vith." he said again, and most certainly not for the last time. Qee'lakstreea felt the mage, too, and put it on his list of people to watch squirm in agony, clutching a vital organ who's insides were exposed to the outside world. The problem with the dragons and the vines were more prominent in his mind than those of revenge, and he thought of a way out of this predicament. If Qee'lakstreea could smile, it would have. No more games. The abyssal power surged around him, the power growing. He could have given up, could hve let them take him in as a prioner...the choice, most likely, he should have made, for once in he could strike again.

A smile found its way across his lips as the dragon made the statement." funny." he said in surface tongue. " you smell like the ass of a carrion beast." and with that he spit at the face of the dragon, telekinetically propelling the wad before the black oval fell over him, then closed, and Venorik was gone. ( the portal open/close within a second, tis instant)

He came out inside the castle, on the inside of a window he could see in from outside. He took one look at the pitiful dragon before running down the hallway. He had more important callings this night.

Anonymous

Liam and Kouken could both see the aura shift as Venorik entered the portal and saw it flutter to a room inside the castle. Both guardians shifted; Liam into a gryphon and Kouken into simply a smaller version of his current draconic form and both flew with amazing grace and speed into a window and right where Venorik was standing. Whatever game he was trying to play was not going to work. Perhaps on another it would, but Liam and Kouken could see auras and the change in auras and Venorik's was light a shining red beacon--hard to ignore and insanely annoying.

With the door to the room away from Venorik, Liam took this oppertunity to lunge at the intruder, his talons sprawled out for a larger area of coverage as he lept with precision to the annoying little drow. Before tonight, Liam had had no knowledge of what a drow was and was still rather unclear on the situation. He was quick enough to make contact and his talons gripped the first available part of Venorik's body and gripped it with awesome power. The two guardians had been around enough fights and wars to know the basics. Two against one was a lovely advantage--even if the one they were fighting had some tricks up his sleeve.

Chanting began to rise up as someone came closer towards the room. A servant boy was possessed and chanted a mage's call. A blue light was pulsating from his hands and chest. The door opened on its own and in absolutely no time the energy ripped through the air to Venorik, hitting him hard and even hard enough to knock Liam away from him, but that didn't mean Kouken was harmed. As soon as the light flashed and was gone, and all the power of a castle's mage sent through Venorik--with the potential to kill any being--Kouken lunged to take the place Liam once had. His draconic armor shielding him from the eerie combination of hot and cold that seemed to have both come from the same form of energy. He could feel it, but at a much more minute degree than Venorik could. He quickly chomped down on Venorik's arm and held it with all the strength his jaw could muster...

Anonymous

" VITH!" he said as the hell sent creatures pursued him into the hallway. But now he had the advantage. " it never ends..." he mutters as the boy comes in, obviously chanting a spell. Qee'lakstreea opens a portal in front of the drow, absorbing the amount of the blast that would damage him, but the rest going as it would have. He watches as the gryphon is knocked away, could see the light of the energy, could almost feel it even with Qee'lakstreea absorbing it into tarterus.

" vith.." he whispers as the small dragon latches onto his arm.  He lets a dagger loose with his spare hand, curving it around the black circle to the boy. He felt the energy hit his hand indirectly for the split second it took, and it almost took all feeling out of it. Qee'lakstreea guided the missile  to perfection.

He felt the sword shoot from the split flesh in his wrist, the abyssal blade in his firm grasp. His armor barely held, the enhanced adamantine armpiece close to bending under the migjhty maw of his enemy.

He felt, and heard, the blade enter the boy's throat, the surge of power ending abruptly. At that moment Venorik used the weight of his enemies grasp to swing his sword hand with as much force as he could muster towards  the closest eye of the draconian,trying  plunging it in then retracting in, opening a portal between them for defense, keeping the sword pointed the enemy's direction beind the dark barrier.

Anonymous

Balkin had been following Venorik for years, and had finally found him. His prey's aura was locked. into his magical scrying now...and he felt the drow leave. He was a drow, too, a higher form of a drow mage, one working directly for the spider queen - a dark weaver.It gave him the power to substitute organs for all spell components, Lolth doing the rest. And those organs hung from his belt, prepared for their specific spells, waiting for the activating word.

Venorik was gone.... and he would follow.  He vocuses his thoughts to pinpointing his prey...then pulls and organ from one of his many pouches, the liver of an owl." har'luth." he says as he swallows the liver, and a black doorway appears in front of him. He smiles. Now he would kill Venorik, watch his enemy squirm. He pulls out another organ, a rat heart, enchanted with the spell of animated web, a magical ensnaring web that is unable to be detached unless it is the will of the caster. Many drow remove limbs to escape it. He holds it ready, all it needed was the activation word.He steps through.  Here i come, he thinks to himself.

A black door opens in the hallway, and Balkin steps out, red cloak flowing behind him. He walks out just in time to see a gryphon get knocked away from a bombarded Venorik. Nobody would have his kill." oh snap." he huffs aloud, right before "har'luth." He aims the spell not at Venorik, but at Liam, the gryphon. It would ensnare him if it made contact, which, due to his position in being knocked back by the energy, it most likely wood. He smiles, praising lolth as he slips another organ from his pouch.

Anonymous

[OOC: Venorik.. Ya need to be a bit more clear about your posts and use a name instead of "him" every once in a while.. everyone involved so far is a him so understand what's being done to whom is a bit confusing]

Liam had recovered quickly and just felt a bruise on his leg from the impact. He was glad to see Kouken had taken up his place and waited for the moment to rejoin the fight.

The servant boy was not done and as Venorik turned away from him to cut at Kouken, another serge of energy burst out, a brighter blue which filled the room at all surfaced before actually weaving its way directly for Venorik with the same power as the last bout of energy, but this time it took on a mind of its own and would only harm Venorik. The boy was already dead when Venorik's weapons struck him--having been a host for such a powerful magical spell had killed him already, Venorik's attempt at revenge was useless.

Kouken's tail wrapped around to grab the arm Venorik had freed to strike him. The armoured tail curled around the intruder's arm like a serpent making its kill, squeezing the life from it. Kouken pulled his tail away, and bent Venorik's arm to the most uncomfortable angle. Unless this man was made of jello, his arm would have to give and the bone would have to break at some point.

As the magic came towards Liam, lunged out of the way and just in time. Flying over to another corner in the room, but away from Kouken and Venorik. He'd jump back into the fight, but first he was concerned about who had conjured the magic in the first place. Another drow? Another intruder? The night was just so exciting. Liam stood, ready to either leap away from a magical spell or to leap directly at the other intruder...

Anonymous

He grimaced in agony as his arm bent back violently, the severed bone tearing through the skin, unable to go anywhere due to the armor, sending more pain through his arm. He felt the same odd presence as he did before, and looked back to see another drow, though not one he recognized. "go back." he yells to the drow.

He spits at the Kouken one more time before Qee'lakstreea powers up, the black circle taking venorik again. He hoped the other drow would follow, he thought, as it closed instantly.

Anonymous

Balkin almost winced when he saw what the tail did  to Venorik's arm. He was already focusing on opening a gateway when he heard Venorik order him to go. He thought it a very wise choice.

He still couldn't beleive the gryphon had dodged his attack. Venorik  was suddenly gone in the blink of an eye, and Balkin thought he saw  black circle somewhere. One of the drow's famous portals, he guesses. He swallows the small  organ as he mutters "har'loth." and he i gone, back to the place he had come from.

Anonymous

Just an OOC post, then I'll get K/L posted once I know what's going on..

With Venorik.. he just left? Like through a portal and back to.. the mage village? Or still in the caslte (for Liam/Kouken to chase! kekeke!) or.. heh maybe I missed it (I'm uber tired)

Anonymous

( ooc )  tis left the castle lol

Anonymous

Liam and Kouken both stood ready, looking aroudn desperately for any signs of the drow or the other who had come but nothing was there. Liam inhaled the air around him and concluded the portal had gone back the way the intruder had initially came.

Almost immediately, both had changed back into great cats and ran in seperate directions, telepathically telling all the guards--and everyone in the castle--that the Dread Army had sent in someone and that they might be coming that same night. The guards were all on edge and stronger weapons were acquired, most laced with a magic from the mages but some were not.

Liam and Kouken met in an entrance and went to be lookouts for sudden or unfamiliar auras about the castle. Kouken was anxiety ridden, but Liam took everything calmly. His time in the realm had hardened him. This seemed like nothing compared to the hell he'd gone througth there.

Anonymous

Rlytar suddenly found himself, withen the shadows of the battlements. He looked around, his eyes seening nothing but simple chaos. And further more it was daylight.

Rlytar didn't notice anything out of order, yet he'd best try to sneak in. Though the night was over, this was still a perfect time to get cought. He slowly walked into the open, and prepared a shadow jump, he was going back to Camp." Hello there!" He said in common, although his voice was fluent, it was heavily accented. His cloak was a dark blue, and red. His hood low over his face." Tell me where I may find Nakaris?"

Anonymous

Err.. Ya *miiiiiight* want to see all the sticky and announcement posts at the top of this board...

Anonymous

( I disipeared dude.)