Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Arrived at last. ((Arolyn, Lee, sort of open (PM!)))

Started by Anonymous, June 17, 2007, 06:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

((Lee -- once Kisa and Arolyn are up out of bed and wandering confusedly about the castle, you can hop in :)))

The guard took Kisa to her rooms promptly, and though Kisa was aware that they were probably not the best in the castle, she was still overwhelmed by their luxuriousness: a massive, four-posted bed piled thick with furs and blankets, a carpet and a bear rug, a fireplace already hot and started, her one chest unpacked into the small chest of drawers in the corner, and Ana, her lady-in-waiting who preceeded her to Arca, struggling to stay awake upon her cot.

"My lady!" she cried, leaping up from where she sat. Kisa beamed and the two girls collapsed into each other's arms laughing and giggling.

"You would not believe what happened today--" Kisa started, her eyes shining.

"No indeed! Do you realize it's almost two in the morning?" Ana replied.

"Yes!" Kisa exulted. "Here, find a makeshift bed for this little one." She took Arolyn gently from her shoulder and gave the brownie to Ana. Ana gaped, but soon had a tiny box full of knitting scrips and scraps and Arolyn was settled in nicely. Kisa fell back upon her feather-mattressed bed and began her story. "First I met her -- the brownie, that is -- her name is Arolyn -- but then! Just as we were about to go to -- well, about to come here! -- we ran into Lord Medirein, of all people! Heeding Father's words I did my best to charm him but I think I did almost too well because just ten minutes ago -- oh, I had better go through the entire thing--"

"Lady Kisa," Ana said reprovingly.

"Hmm?" Kisa said. Her eyes were drooping drowsily already. This bed is far too comfortable, she thought. I must inform the king...

"You smell like a horse and you look like one too." Ana had set up a washing stand in the corner of the room already. "Come, let me take off your dress and get you bathed."

Within short order, Ana had Kisa undressed, washed, and tucked snugly into bed. Ana, although only a few years older than Kisa, was wise and efficient at what she did, something that came from her family working with Kisa's for generations. She was more than a servant: she was one of Kisa's dearest friends.

Kisa fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the downy pillow, however much a cliche that may be, and dreamed of kisses and swords and pixies and demons. Not a completely pleasant dream, to be sure, but exciting nonetheless.

"My lady--"

"Go away."

"Lady Kisa, please--"

"Mmmph."

"Kisa Alberich! Don't be a child!"

"Oh, alright, fine." Kisa threw back the coverlets and realized the sun was shining brightly through the window already. "Oh, blast it, don't tell me it's noon already! I have to tell people about Insanite!"

"Insanite, my lady?" Ana cocked an eyebrow, and smiled indulgently. "It's not quite noon, but just about. Now stop being a ladabout and hop out of that bed!"

Anonymous

((*Raises hand* Sorry, but by PM do you mean PM you to let you know we're here, or...? *blows brain fuse* @_@ Forgive me. It's early and I need sugar.))

Arolyn remembered nothing of entering the castle. She only felt herself roll over into a pool of softness. She smiled and hugged a thick piece of knitting scraps. The word "Liicta" escaped her mouth before she sank deeper into sleep.

She heard bustling about and Kisa speaking to a woman she'd never heard before. Arolyn moaned and turned over on her stomach, lying atop the knitting scrap she was cuddling. She laughed softly, still not quite awake yet. "Op!--Forgive me, Liicta. I forgot you were--" Her vision cleared. The brownie before her became fuzzy and turned into a brown cloth with black and silver around the edges. "--here."

After sitting up and rubbing her eyes for a solid minute or so, she flew to Kisa's shoulder. "Ohiooo. Gah! I mean, good morning!" She laughed and flustered, rubbing the back of her head. "Forgive me, my mind's been cloudy." Arolyn's teeny hand touched the crown of her head accidentally and a sharp pain rang throughout her head. She cringed for a moment before being able to handle the now-dull pain. "My head's better, but it seems like it's still a little sore."

At the sound of Insanite's name, Arolyn perked up, buzzing her fly wings defensively. She calmed down once she remembered Lady Kisa was going to tell the other nobles about the demoness. Well, now that all of my energy is back... "Pardon, you two." She curstied out of habit to them both and made her way to the wash stand and found a little bowl that had warm water in it. She quickly washed, re-dressed (since she had no other clothes) and returned to Kisa's side, flying beside her this time.
Her energy to fly was back, thanks to breaking that spell, after all...

Anonymous

"Oh, good morning, Arolyn!" Kisa called to the brownie, from where Ana was settling her into a different dress. It was in much better condition than her travelling clothes from the day before, but all the same it was obviously not of the current fashion. Kisa hoped the courtiers would consider it "classic," but she was not optimistic; being unable to do anything about the dress's style, she tugged her blouse lower to reveal slightly more cleavage. They surely can't deny that, she thought wryly. "Ana, do be careful," Kisa snapped. "I'm not quite as willowy as you are!"

"Sorry, my lady," Ana said. She was looking distractedly over at the buzzing brownie. "But who is that, by the way?"

"A friend," Kisa replied. She exchanged a dark look with Arolyn, and for a terrifying moment was transported back to the shocking horrors of the night before. She shook her head quickly to clear it. "I met her last night. I'll tell you the details along with everyone else later. Ana! I said be careful!"

"Sorry," Ana muttered, trying to hide a smile. Kisa grinned back over her shoulder at her servant; with Ana around, Arca suddenly seemed much more hospitable. With a pang she realized that she almost -- not quite, but almost -- missed home.

That task was quickly completed and after their traditional argument over whether to pleat Kisa's hair (Kisa always refused, but Ana insisted it was proper -- but Kisa felt that as soon as she let her hair be braided, she would be swept off into "matron-land"), Kisa realized she was famished. Her hair, by the way, remained unbraided, and the chestnut curls swung luxuriously over her shoulder.

Only two things left, she thought. She bounded to the small writing desk and found paper and pens in a drawer. Quickly finishing two small letters, one for her mother and one for -- well, she thought, blushing mildly, he should be glad to get it. She folded them and briskly passed them to Ana, who hovered curiously at Kisa's shoulder. "Please see to it that they're mailed to the correct addresses," Kisa said. "Lord Cyrus's should, preferably, reach him today."

"Certainly," Ana said. She curtsied and left the room without a backwards glance, her long legs swishing her skirts attractively over the clean floor. No doubt the lady-in-waiting had been awake hours before Kisa, and had eaten breakfast long before Kisa had even flutered an eyelid.

"So then, Arolyn!" Kisa said brightly, straightening her bedding with the quick flings and tucks of an expert. "Had a good sleep, then? And I'll bet your noggin's still sore!" She grinned at the brownie perched on her shoulder. "But come, breakfast will solve everyone's problems. I don't know about you, but I'm starved." Kisa did not mention that, at the breakfast table, they were likely to meet nobles; she did not know if it was for Arolyn's benefit (so as not to bring up painful memories of Isanite), or for her own. Kisa nodded sharply in satisfaction at the tidy room, then marched out the door as if on a top-secret mission. She smiled a greeting at the guards standing outside her door and the boy blushed beet-red to the roots of her hair, and, pretending he heard a superior's summon, he bolted from her sight.

Hah!, she thought gleefully. I've still got it.

Then: Not that I ever thought I lost it... Last night was certainly proof of that. Thinking of Cyrus's parting gift, Kisa's lips began to tingle and she blushed nearly as red as the guardsman. After a disoriented minute, however, she regained her composure and realized that, yet again, she had no idea where to go. Blast this city!

"Guard!" she called after the departing guardsman. "Would you--" He was gone. "Hmph," Kisa muttered. "Some guardsman. Arolyn, I don't suppose you know where we can find some breakfast?"

Anonymous

Arolyn couldn't help but laugh at the flustered guard. Of course, watching him leave, she realized that she would have to be Kisa's guide again. Find breakfast? In Arca? Easy! "I know just the place. It's called Itsy's. It's not too far from here, just go south for about five minutes--" she raised an arm and held it straight out in front of her "--then west for two." She pointed to the right with the same arm before putting it down. "My food's on the house because my meals are little. Of course, if I ask them nicely, I'm sure they'd let you have a free meal, too."

On their way to Itsy's, Arolyn looked down, noticing Kisa's clothing. She blushed once she figured out what she was looking at and looked straight ahead with a forced oblivious stare on her face. "What's with the dress? Too small for ye?" Huh. She was one to talk. It looked like she was wearing nothing but fog.

Once they arrived at Itsy's, she called out, standing on Kisa's shoulder now. "Oi! Good morning, everybodyyy!" A middle aged woman with black hair had been doing something behind the counter and craned her neck to see over the counter.

She beamed and held out her arms to them. "Oh, Arolyn! It's been too long! Come here, you little nugget!" Arolyn, despite the stares of the customers who were eating at their little round tables, flew quickly into the woman, clinging to the baker's clothes--Arolyn's hug for bigger folks. "Where've you been? You told me last time that you'd stick around to try a cherry cake."

Arolyn let go and hung her head in a kiddish way. "Aw, I'm sorry, Miss Itsy. I've been so busy lately--" She cut herself short and held out a hand to Kisa. "That's my friend. Lady Kisa Alberich." She turned to Kisa and blushed a little. "Did...did I say it right?"

"Oh, a princess, perhaps?" Itsy bowed to Kisa. "Itsulait Ura. A pleasure to meet you." She straightened up and ushered them to a table, giving Arolyn a napkin to sit on. "I already know what you want, Arolyn, so don't worry." Arolyn sucked on her lower lip to keep from slobbering on herself. It's not like I've never eaten her food before...why do I always do this? And in front of someone important, at that! Itsy turned to Kisa to take her order. Once taken, Itsy tapped the little pen to her lip. "Oh! Arolyn, dear, I forgot to tell you. Did you happen to bring your family to Arca?" Arolyn paled. "There were a bunch of little brownies playing on my window sill the other day, and--"

Arolyn started as if she were about to jump up and fly out the door, but stopped herself after a moment. "Something wrong, dearie?"

"N-naw, Miss Itsy. I just...I keep missing them." She smiled her prettiest smile at Itsy. "I keep going to visit them, but since they're nomadic, it's hard to catch them."

Itsy smiled and said their meals would be ready shortly and left.

My family's here? Here? In Arca? Hopefully not to look for me. If the wrong person told them where I was working, they could all be enslaved...

Anonymous

"Arolyn!" Kisa chided, turning her face aside so that the brownie would not notice her burning cheeks. "Don't you know that I'm being introduced to court today? I must make an impression! One that says that 'Kisa Alberich is worth one's attention.' My dress -- well, it can't be helped, I have a shabby wardrobe and there's nothing for it. But the rest of me..." Kisa let the sentence hang. Somehow letting the notion remain unspoken made it less trampy. "My mother told me it was the only asset the Alberich ladies had these days!" she finished huffily.

The city was friendlier in the bright daylight, although Kisa was anxious to return to the castle and begin her mission in earnest. Itsy's reminded her precisely of the kitchen from home: small, cramped, bustling, and full of smiles and good, plain fare. "Oh, only honeycakes and cream for me, please," Kisa said. "And a cup of milk, if you have any!" Kisa felt a little cowed by how Arolyn seemed to know everyone in the building, but told herself that it was a good thing that she had a popular friend -- even if it was a new experience, playing second fiddle to someone the size of a fly.

"Oh, goodness, you don't really need to call me Lady," Kisa said, flustered. "I mean -- it's proper, but you're my friend now and not my servant at all -- but I hardly know what the protocol is here in Arca -- and yet I still feel that -- oh, just call me Kisa for now!" I shall have to ask Ana when I return, Kisa decided, mortified and smiling sheepishly. "Anyway, Itsulait Ura, it is a pleasure to meet you too!"

With narrowed eyes Kisa watched Arolyn buzz nervously from her shoulder towards the door and back again, but could not quite place the cause of Arolyn's concern. She decided to ask the brownie about later; Kisa was not used to eating in such a public place, and worried that someone would overhear something. Although what someone would overhear that would be so terrible, Kisa had no idea.

The food soon arrived and, while Kisa did her best to be dainty, she was so hungry it was not long before only crumbs rested on the plate before her. "That was delicious," she said to Arolyn with a huge smile. She fumbled at her waist-pouch for her spare change; it was depressingly light, but Kisa was almost certain it would cover the bill. "But tell me about your family, won't you?"

Anonymous

Itsy brought Kisa's and Arolyn's food, setting down Kisa's first, then Arolyn's. It was a spice dish filled with very small stars. Arolyn's eyes twinkled at the sight and picked a blue star up with her two hands. "Oh, thank ye, Miss Itsy! It's been so long!"

"I know, dearie. Eat up, now. You'll need your strength for today." Arolyn nodded, remembering that not everyone knew that the spell was broken, so her strength was just as good as it was when she was a teenager. She bit into the star, eyeing the noble right after Kisa watched her fly to and away from the door with a sly smile to throw her off.

Moments later, Arolyn was about to finish off her last star-shaped cinnamon bread when..."But tell me about your family, won't you?"

Dammit.

Just don't get carried away, Lynnie-girl. Just stick to the basics. "Well...ano...I love my family a lot." Her smile grew bright thinking about them. "I lived with my mother, my father, and baby sister, Mali. Mali and I are seven years apart. So she must be..." She looked up at the ceiling, brow arched, counting in her head. "...around nineteen now. I lived in a moderate-sized clan with some good friends of mine who were actually butterfly brownies." She began counting them on her hand. "Hae, Quann, Ohmaru, and Ohmaru's brother Liicta!" Her face turned gentle, her eyes soft and almost loving.

"He...he was my best friend of them all. We goofed off together a lot. I remember when I first met him, I had tripped on a leaf when I was little because I was trying to escape the rain. I started crying and he just kind of appeared over me. He opened his wing for me to use as an umbrella and said, 'Oi, quit cryin'. At least you'll be dry now.'" She giggled. "He sounded upset,  but he tried his best to make his face as annoyed as possible. After that, we--" Flashes of Arolyn's memories of her and Liicta together cut her short: Liicta grabbing her arm to tell her something, him laying down unexpectedly in her lap, the day he decided to play a game of "extreme tag" and trapped her in a corner of his home.

Snap.Arolyn came back to the real world and noticed just how warm her cheeks were. She was no longer holding her bread and hand put her hands in her lap, scratching at her clothes slowly. Her blue eyes bugged as she stopped herself. "Oh!--That didn't happen!" She said, pointing at Kisa. "If anyone asks, I'm sick. Okay? Sick!" She folded her arms. "I don't do love. S'not my thing. Got it? Of course you do! And don't pay!" She buzzed over to Kisa's hands and slapped them. "You've got me, you don't need to pay."

She waved to Itsy, who was behind the counter again, before perching on Kisa's shoulder again. "All right. Let's go. And remember--if anyone that I know asks about...what just happened, I'm sick." Still flustered, she fussed with her long, purple hair, thinking of Liicta again. Feh. That idiot...why do I love him?

((I'm still trying to find a suitable picture for Liicta, but I can't find one. Hey--did you get to see Arolyn's pictures, by the way? I forgot to ask earlier. ^-^;; ))

Anonymous

((After this should we wait for Lee? And I did see Arolyn's picture! She's beautiful -- but we already knew that from your description of her ;). How do you find pictures for your characters? I don't think I want to use anime, if I decide to go photo-hunting, but any tips would be good.))

Kisa felt herself transported back to her own home, hearing Arolyn speak of hers. Families are the same everywhere, Kisa realized. Or at least the good ones are. The same warmth, familiarity, love and history. Kisa hoped that the letter she wrote her mother earlier this morning reached the Alberich barony soon, and that, more importantly, she received a whole bundle of letters back from her siblings who still lived there.

But she couldn't help but laugh at Arolyn's misty-eyed recollection of Liicta; the laughter was delighted, not judgmental, and Kisa leaned forward with sparkling eyes and a huge grin. She loved hearing about other people falling in love! Or fighting to the death, for that matter, but still: Arolyn's joy was so obvious that Kisa couldn't help but share in it. If I'm ever half as happy in love, he'll be a man worth keeping, Kisa thought, all aglow. She was a romantic through and through.

"Oh, of course you don't believe in love, Arolyn!" Kisa said in mock surprise, her eyes guilelessly blue and wide. "I never would have thought it! Liicta sounds like a perfectly loathsome gentleman from your description."

Kisa would never have noticed Arolyn's slaps had she not been looking at the brownie already. "Are you sure?" Kisa said dubiously, weighing her own purse in her hand. "How you even manage to carry any money at all on that tiny frame of yours..."

((Leeeeeee feel free to join up!))

Anonymous

[OOC: Sorry, meant to post earlier, but a... minor breakdown and exhaustion kind of prevented it.  Anyway, here it is.]

Even as Kisa and Arolyn were preparing to deal with dangerous and sensitive issues, and even as miles and miles away at their home international politics almost caught fire before they could even begin, two young womenâ€"well, really a girl and a womanâ€"were busy with far more mundane, more frivolous, and all together more cheerful tasksâ€"namely, shopping.  They weren’t shopping for themselves, however, but rather for a young cousin of theirs who would soon be making her debut at court.  True, there had been preparations at home as well, but they knew the value of a good surprise.  So it was that despite the various orders and purchases they made, most of it was not intended for themselves, although if the girl just so happened to pick up an item or two here and there, that was just a happy coincidence.  Naturally.  It would never be anything different.

Or at least that’s what she told herself.

“Why am I the one doing most of the carrying here, again?â€? Katrina asked her little sister with no little exasperation.  She triedâ€"unsuccessfullyâ€"to push some of her long red hair out of her face.  It was just too hard to manage when both hands were occupied with boxes and the like.

Meriel just smiled brightly at her.  â€œOh, stop complaining.  I’m carrying all of my things.  You’re just being kind enough to stand in for Avrilys!â€?

Katrina gave her something of a sidelong look.  â€œOf course.  How remarkable that some of your things are in the same boxes.â€?  Rolling her eyes as Meriel ignored her and rather regally swept forward, Katrina couldn’t help the slight smile that crossed her face as she followed at a more sedate pace.  She’d nearly had to drag Ceallach out by the ear to get clothing for court, whereas Meriel was starting to exhaust her.  I should have tied my hair back, she thought with a bit of exasperation as it got in her eyes again.  She eyed Meriel’s hairâ€"which was up, though in some complicated fashion that Katrina shuddered to think about.  Meriel seemed to like it, and somehow never seemed to take long dressing, and yet of the two the younger girl, in her lavender dress and fashionable hair style, was the only one who was obviously a noble.  Katrina just seemed to manage “well-to-doâ€? with her rather simple white blouse and dark blue skirtâ€"that is, unless you noticed how entirely sure she was that no one and nothing could touch her

As they passed a small shop, Meriel slowed down.  â€œKatrina, do you want to grab a bit of lunch before we head back?â€? Meriel eyed the food with longing.

Her sister sighed.  â€œIt’s whatever you want, Meri.â€? It’s not like I can eat it anyway.  My hands are tiedâ€"and almost not figuratively speaking.  She watched with fondness as Meriel bounced into the shop to order a bit of food to go, and decided to get out of the sun.  So she stepped inside and hovered near the door with a long-suffering expression on her face.

Anonymous

((Aww! Thanks! ^-^ I thought my description was a little shabby. But I find my pictures in RPs on Gaiaonline.com sometimes (that's for if you just can't find anything that isn't an anime piccy). Of course, there's deviantart.com. Look up anything to your heart's content there! ^-^ I'm sure you'll find many good pictures there.))

"ShADDAP! And of course it's okay. I promise." She perched herself on Kisa's head, making a few hand gestures and murmuring something in her language. She snapped her fingers and a very large bag of coins appeared on the table, showing wear and tear as if it'd been dragged all over Arca. "I have a special bag that follows me everywhere without me having to touch it."

Arolyn arched her brow at Kisa, smiling. Ah, well. Why not take one more crack at the young girl? "And pull up...somethin'. It's kiinda unnerving to look down your chest every time I want to look down and talk to you. By th' way," she continued, folding her arms, "I think it's sad that your mother thinks that flaunting like that will get you farther than your personality alone. Remind me to find you a nice wardrobe that's decent to the eye."

"Look who's talkin'!"

Arolyn shut her eyes, smiling. "Oh, hush, Ohmaru." At his name, her eyes sprung open. "OHMARU!" The buttefly brownie had just flown into the bakery, laughing at Arolyn. His red wings caught magnificently in the light as he made his way to Arolyn.

Noticing Kisa, Ohmaru stopped, looking her up and down before speaking again. "We've...been looking for you for years. Where've you been?"

Arolyn fiddled with her hair, looking exceptionally cute. "Sorry, Ohmaru. Gotta go to a court. Whatever that is."

"But Liicta--"

"--Tell him...tell him to meet me at Serendipity Castle, then." She patted Kisa's head. "Come on, Kisa. Let's go."

Anonymous

((The only discrepancy I noticed was that you describe Arolyn as "cute" sometimes, whereas the picture, to me at least, screams "SEXY!" :) Then again she's so teensy, cute still fits her, so whatevs. I like your descriptions!))

"Men are men are men," Kisa shrugged, and winked at the brownie with a wicked smile. "Or at least that's what Ana always tells me. And she'd know, for certain!" Kisa was about to gush over what good friends Arolyn and Ana were sure to become when she caught eye of the second brownie darting about the shop. She gaped at the flashing red-winged stranger flitting about with her friend. Hmph! Two brownies?, she thought. I can hardly manage the one!

"Liicta!" Kisa exclaimed unintentionally. "Oh..." She flinched from the tiny slap she was certain Arolyn would reward her with, but could not help but give the new brownie -- Ohmaru? Devilishly odd name -- an appraising look. "Luckily we were just returning to the Castle, right, Arolyn?" Kisa asked lamely.

In her excitement to deliver Arolyn to what Kisa imagined was the brownie's soulmate, she nearly bowled over a woman with hair as red as a sunset, and Kisa only barely managed catch up all of the other woman's purchases that had began to tumble from her arms. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry," Kisa started -- but was cut short when she saw the proud tilt of the woman's chin. Oh... I would recognize a tilt like that just about anywhere! Add to that the obvious wealth required for such an armload of boxes, and Kisa realized that here was a real, live noblewoman standing before her, the first she had ever met, in fact, apart from her mother and two crotchety old aunts Kisa had never liked very much. Her jaw nearly dropped before she managed to regain composure. "I very, really, truly am sorry! Here, let me help you with all these things -- goodness, you must be strong -- I am Lady Kisa Alberich, from the Alberich barony, and my little friend there is Arolyn the brownie." Kisa was speaking unintentionally quickly, her voice a few notes higher than usual, and she tried to hold the boxes in such a way as to conceal her rather unfashionable dress. Think classic, Kisa told herself. Classic!

But women are so often crueller than men when it comes to these things... Kisa shook her head to clear it of the pessimistic thoughts.

"I'm new to Arca and -- oh, I usually don't chatter so much, you know! Whom do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

Oh, blast, Kisa thought hopelessly, meanwhile trying to smooth over her awkward introduction with light-hearted laughter. My mother would slap me silly if she saw this tomfoolery! Nonetheless she tried to keep the other woman's gaze, and straightened her shoulders into as proud a stance as she could manage. Kisa even arrogantly lifted her chin: imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? But, as always, Kisa could not conceal the emotions flickering over her face like firelight, and her eyes stayed as wide and round as could be expected in the face of an uncertain girl full of secrets bursting to be told.[/list]

Anonymous

[I meant this post to be after Kira's but it seems I was too late.  will the order go like this: Kaldin, Akira, me, then Lee?]

"But sir!  I don't truly understand why we must prepare so early.  The lady said that the event won't be until about mid-afternoon and 'tis only thrice a quarter past the hour of one!" protested Maichello who tried to tie the collar strings of his doublet.  Somehow, he figured he would be able to take his frustration out of his clothing.

"Because, Maichello, we were invited as guests to Lady Kisa Alberich and the more time we use to ready ourselves the better an impression there is to be given," Cyrus explained as he rummaged through the trunk he so carelessly left in Maichello's room and pulled out a white length of cloth as his cravat.  Wrapping it around his neck, he continued, "I want you to look presentable in her presence.  No mockery.  No foolery.  No joking about.  Just be the gentleman I know you can be.  Don't do anything that you wouldn't do in front of your wife."

"Dammit!" he cursed under his breath when he fiddled with the intricate ties and pleats of the cloth before tearing it from his neck and trying again.  He finally succeeded in executing a perfect Mailcoach, styled to his liking and tucking away the ends into his black embroidered waistcoat.  The design on the front was fashioned in the Medirein family emblem of the standing lion with one claw raised and flames unfolding from the tail, reflecting each other on either side.  Smoothing out the folds of his waistcoat, Cyrus asked sincerely, "How is Melly, by the way?"

Maichello tugged at the ends of his boots and replied, "She's well enough, my lord.  Once again round with our fourth child.  I swear she might just about smash the creamer over me head if I keep puttin' meh hands on her.  She never expected to have more than at least two children."  He chuckled to himself and achieved in shoving his other boot on.  Scarcely had a negative thought permeated the thick skull of a chap who had a tendency to follow the pleasure principle and act upon impulse.  Maichello had always been guilty of loving his children and his wife too much to the point where they couldn't stand to be around him for too long.  "It's not like you can blame me for loving the woman too much.  It's not my fault that I love her so," he continued to joke.  "What about this lady you speak of?  Is she the same one we met yesterday with the little brownie beside 'er?"

"Aye, that she is, Maichello.  A very lovely woman indeed," Cyrus commended wryly, recalling his bodily reaction of the feel of her lips to his.  The impression was still there even after the night's rest.  "She invited me to spend supper at the castle with her and bid me to take you along with me.  I'll do as she asks."  Then adding something briefly to himself in a tone low enough so that it was only audible to him, "I'd do anything she asks..."

He fixed the last folds of the cravat and raked his fingers through his wavy locks while gazing through the washstand mirror.  Maichello stood up from his spot on the chair beside the door and attached his belt that was equipped with a rapier of his own.  He pulled it out and made a few slashing motions in the air while saying, "Don't worry, my lord.  I'll be a perfect gen'leman."

Cyrus laughed at his valet's youthful actions and replied, "You never cease to amuse me, man.  Now please put that foil away and tie your hair back, you look like a horse's ass!"  Cyrus thrust a velvety blue frock coat over his shoulders.  "We could leave early enough since the castle is about an hour walk from here and maybe stop somewhere of your liking along the way to pass up some time."  He caroused to his room and tied the belt of his own sword to his waist, motioning for Maichello to depart along with him.

Anonymous

[I'm not sure how the order should go... *Frowns*]

Katrina was secretly almost relieved that the poor girlâ€"she couldn’t be more than Ceallach’s age, though she looked older than Merielâ€"ran into her.  Now she had an excuse to make Meri do the hard labour.  Still, she couldn’t help the startled exclamation, which was perhaps just verging on the not-appropriate-for-noblewomen.  Truly a soldier’s daughter, that girl.  Still, she quickly realized that this girl was totally lost in a big town like thisâ€"probably a noble of some kind, from her dress and complete innocence.  With her hypothesis quickly confirmed, Katrina realized that the girl was also probably new.  That meant she was rather obliged to be as kind as possible.

“It would likely have happened anyway,â€? she said rather wryly.  â€œAnd now my sister can’t blame me for it.  Excuse me a moment…â€? She raised her voice.  â€œMeri!â€?

“What?�

“Come pick up your clothes!â€?  Katrina smiled kindly at the girl.  For all her clearly noble appearance, both her somewhat utilitarian choice of clothing and lilting Northern accent made a fairly sharp contrastâ€"most nobles tended to have more cultured, upper class intonations.  â€œDon’t worry yourself about it, Lady Kisa.  That’s what boxes are forâ€"to keep anything from happening to their contents.â€?  She really looked rather amused, and the girl’s open expression spoke volumes, especially to Katrina’s eyes.  After nearly ten years of court exposure, she knew how to read people well.  Poor sweet thing.  She would probably be overawed by any noble, even if she were speaking to a complete idiot.  She also noted with a bit of amusement that young Kisa seemed to be relying on the cut of her dress to make an impression.

Before she could realize, though, that Kisa was trying to imitate her, Meri came back over trying to finish a roll as quickly as she could.  Meri’s eyes immediately went to the new personâ€"and the brownieâ€"and her expression brightened.  â€œOh, hello!  Whoâ€"â€?

“Lady Kisa Alberich, and her friend… Arolyn, I believe?â€?  Katrina hurriedly shoved what she still had at Meriel, who was surprised enough to take it.  â€œMeriel, make the introductions.  Forgive my rudeness, but if you’ll excuse me a moment…â€?  With a quickly whispered “I am going to kill you later,â€? to Meriel, Katrina made a bee-line for the counter and the food.  Kaleasters on the whole to be somewhat fond of their food, and Meriel and Katrina were no exception.  When it came to dual revenge for prevention of food intake and access to a snack, there was no act of sisterly warfare too low.

Meri rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the pair, with a bit of an eager gleam.  They got brownies from time to time around Glausterâ€"with magic practically seeping into the land itself, it was an attractive place for such little creatures.  Besides, they were so cute!  â€œSisters,â€? she said with some exasperation.  â€œThere’s absolutely nothing you can do about them.â€?  Having decided that the other girl was someone she could like, Meriel turned a brilliant smile on her.  â€œMeriel Kaleaster, at your service.  I’m very pleased to meet you both.  My old crotchety sister over there is Katrina.  You can ignore her.â€?  Her accent wasn’t quite as thick as her sister’s, but it was still there, without a hint of self-consciousness.

As nice as she quite obviously could be, there was still that hint of innate arrogance that ran in the Kaleaster family.  Naturally anyone would know, at least, what her family name meant.  Still, it was slightly less apparent in her demeanour, which was much more open than her sister’s, though her lavender dress was also somewhat more obviously expensive.  Although it didn’t quite conform with the current fashion… She ran a quick, critical eye over Kisa’s outfit.  â€œThat’s an absolutely lovely skirt,â€? she complimentedâ€"although she would have gone with a bit more subtlety with the blouse.  â€œThere’s this horrible fascination with frills at the momentâ€"I can’t for the life of me see what they add.  I suppose a well-placed flounce isn’t always detrimental, but… frills. Do people have no sense?â€?  Meet Meriel, the fashion critic.  Also, Ana would be pleased to note there are some braids in Meriel’s hair, although it’s styled to be half up and half not.  All in all, quite effective.

Anonymous

((The order in RPs always start with the authors. So it's kaldin, me, Lee, then ATF. Don't worry, I'll delete this later. ^-^))

Anonymous

[oh i see now. well, let my previous post be as if I posted after Lee's last post.  So next to post should be Kaldin then so on and so forth.]

Anonymous

((OKAY. Starting over. As Kira said, we'll go me, kira, lee, then atf. Deal? Deal!))

As soon as Katrina turned away to speak to her sister, Kisa heaved a huge sigh of relief and grinned widely at Arolyn. See? Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

I didn't even have to show her the cleavage. Kisa wrinkled her nose at the unbidden thought, and glanced dubiously at her blouse. Maybe it was too short... She decided to hoist it up a little later. No! Self-confidence! Why should I be ashamed of my body?  You all should be ashamed for looking! There, that was a thought more worthy of her.

"Oh, I suppose that's true -- about the boxes, I mean," Kisa said. She was still a little flustered, and there was an aggravating chunk of hair in her eyes that, for all the boxes in her hands, she was unable to push aside. Ana's long defense of the braid suddenly seemed very practical. As did this woman before her, for that matter. She would definitely be described as "classic," Kisa thought, and wondered if she could maybe pick up some tips from the redhead later. For some reason that Kisa could not pinpoint, she reminded Kisa of her mother, or at least what her mother would be were she 30 or 40 years younger. In that moment Kisa decided that she liked her very much.

The younger girl seemed more of a court lady than the elder; in fact, if Kisa's eyes could have gotten any wider, they would have, for the charm and ease of aristocracy rolled from the girl's grace and voice in waves. Now this, Kisa thought in despair, was certainly learned from years at court! How shall I ever compare? Well, other than tugging down her blouse further, of course, and Kisa was not sure if she dared.

Once she mentioned sisters, however, Kisa felt suddenly at ease. Large families -- now that was something she could relate to! "Oh, I have plenty of sisters," Kisa laughed. She struggled to keep the boxes steady in her arms from the movement. "All older though, and absolute minxes! I love them to pieces."

Kaleaster! Kisa jolted and it was only sheer luck that kept the boxes from tumbling to the floor. Why, that was the most proudly magical family in Serendipity, was it not? Or at least one of the most magical! The Alberich bard in particular was enamoured with the Kaleaster sagas, and almost all throughout Kisa's childhood she did not even believe the Kaleasters existed; she thought they were the stuff of myth. For all Kisa knew, the very women she was speaking to were mages capable of -- what? Kisa did not know exactly what magic the Kaleasters were famed for -- only that the estate was steeped in magic, as were its rulers. Could Meriel turn her into a toad? Ugh, I hope not, and Kisa shuddered mildly. Mother would positively murder me. I'd best stay on their good side. Fortunately, at least upon her first impression, Kisa did not reckon that would be too difficult.

Especially when Meriel complimented her on her dress! Kisa flushed, and begged the Fates that her freckles would not show through the powder on her nose. "Oh, no, it's nothing, really," Kisa said, flustered, "or at least not compared to yours. You and your sister seem so pretty and peaceful in this great mess of a city!" She did not respond to Meriel's treatise on flounces; although she knew the girl meant it kindly, indeed, that she meant to spare Kisa's feelings, Kisa had a fondness for flounces and frills and when she could afford it she did like to indulge. Families with little means tend to over-compensate when they can.

"Here, let me help you carry this to where you're going -- oh, where are you going, by the way? Arolyn and I are lodged in Serendipity Castle but it's really no trouble to--"

As Kisa stepped out the door, she suddenly caught sight of a familiar face striding confidently through the crowd; she had a keen eye and though he was a ways off, she knew immediately who it was. She ducked back into the building with a startled "Eep!", then, by way of explanation, said sheepishly, "I saw... a spider. I'm dreadfully scared of spiders. And I haven't decided what to say to him yet! Oh, but -- please, ignore that last part." Ordinarily she would have been even more embarassed by her obvious slip-up, but she was so anxiously looking over her shoulder to check if Cyrus had seen her that she hadn't the energy to spare for blushing.

Anonymous

((Thanks, guys. ^-^ And I've been needing a hug.))

Arolyn barked at Kisa momentarily for tripping over a noble before bowing with a smile at the littler noble. She noticed Ohmaru laughing behind her, holding his sides. She flew up to meet him, nose-to-nose with him. "Wha's so funny, eh?"

"Some noble you got there, Queenie!"

Arolyn smacked Ohmaru upside the head. He didn't seem to mind. In fact, he seemed like he had braced himself for it way before he had said anything. "Shaddap! Don't call me Queenie. How many times do I--?!"

"Where're your other clothes?"

"Wha?"

"Your other clothes. Where are they? I can see straight through this...what is this, onion paper?" He picked at Arolyn's linens, pulling on the red ribbon...that held it all together. Arolyn smacked his hand hard, making Ohmaru's hand withdraw.

"Stop! They confiscated my other clothes."

Ohmaru, as he shook his hand, gave her a look of worry. "Who did?"

Arolyn said nothing and went back to her perch as Kisa began to leave. She smiled at the sight of Cyrus and stood. "Look, Kisa! Look! OOOOIIIII! CYYYYRUUUUS!" She whistled to get Cyrus' attention, waving her hands all the while.

Ohmaru perched on Kisa's other shoulder and whispered, "Don't mind me, Your Highness. I'm going to follow you so I can tell the others where Arolyn's dwellings are." He picked at his brown slacks that had been stuffed down into his black boots before leaning back on his hands and waiting for Kisa and the others to go forth with whatever they were about to do.

((-.- That was...beyond crappy.))

Anonymous

[Okay, edited to have my post--I'm sorry I'm not being great with Arolyn, but I gave an opening for them to describe how they met, meaning Katrina will probably turn her attention to Arolyn and Meri will just... keep with the pouncing on Kisa, so yeah.]

Meriel was, unfortunately for poor Kisa, very quick to notice the little slip.  She nearly fell over laughingâ€"in a way that would have involved neither falling over, spluttering with laughter, nor anything so unladylike as thatâ€"at Kisa’s expression.  â€œSo, does this spider have a name?  What’s he look like?â€? She tried scanning the crowd to see if she could pick him out.  â€œAnd am I going to be eternally jealous of your good fortune?â€?  Kisa, consider yourself adopted by Meriel.  She was already planning on dragging the older girl out shopping too, and if Kisa accidentally learned there are ways to look like the best dressed (and most expensively) without a frill… well, that would be accidental.  Or known as Meriel trying to convert the world to her way of thinking.

She also couldn’t help a bit of a wry, rueful smile from crossing her face at Kisa’s enthusiastic response.  Oh dear.  Father, you should have been an earl or a count.  With our magic it would have made a perfect mix… “If you think we’re peaceful, here,â€? she said with some of the same irony that marked her siblings’ tones, “you have never seen my father.  Or Katrina on a hot day.  Now there’s a horror.â€?  Sometimes some people made comments about why the oldest Kaleaster girl was still unmarried at twenty five.  Really, she had no interest in most of the men, and was too busy with her siblings.  But… comments did get made.

Katrina, meanwhile, had gotten herself a nice roll and a bit of sausage and had wolfed it down with more speed than was really entirely decorous and far less delicacy than her sister.  Katrina knew how to act the lady to perfectionâ€"but she only did so when she had to.  She overheard enough of the last part to smile at Kisa again.  â€œAnd you’ve never seen Meriel on a cold day, eitherâ€"that’s a nightmare beyond imagining.â€?

“It is not! You’re worse!�

“I may get irritable, but I don’t complain everyone’s ears off.�

“Well… I don’t go making Nadia laugh with internal cursing!�

Katrina raised her eyebrow in a perfect imitation of their father.  â€œAt least I’m keeping the cursing internal.â€?  Rolling her eyes as Meriel stuck her tongue out at her, Katrina turned back to Kisa.  â€œPlease ignore the childishness.  It’s a character failing.  And I’m really sorry I was so rude earlier, but when you have to take your sister shopping or both her heart and your cousin’s will break…â€?

“I did not say that.�

“You did.â€?  Katrina went back to ignoring her younger sibling.  â€œAs I was saying, it gets rather tiring.  Now, who are…â€? Before she could finish asking for a proper introduction to Arolyn and Ohmaru, she jumped a little, startled by the exclamation.  â€œOh, know Cyrus Merdirein?  I didn’t know he’d been at court at all recently.  He was in Cerenis not long ago, in fact…  How did you meet?â€?

“Merdirein?â€? Meriel interrupted.  â€œIsn’t that…â€?

“Yes, Meri.  Now hush.â€?  There was no reason to be going into the slight… history between the families, nor their brother’s bad manners.

Anonymous

[Aw that's okay.  You have my condolences since I lost a grandmother who was in and out of hospitals not too long ago.  You post when you can, dearie.

I'll go ahead and take my turn with a quick post.]

Cyrus' sight was blinded for a time by the glory that came of sunlight.  In fact, he welcomed it's light and warmth after being trapped inside of a malevolent manor filled with an aura that made him sick to his stomach.  It wasn't the magical creatures within intrinsically, but the demon herself that gave off more a sickly, evil odor than anything else there.  Holding those poor creatures enslaved in Insanite's devil clutches was something that had to be dealt with as soon as possible.  And perhaps this night would come that possibility.

Maichello stood close enough to his lord as they tread upon the cobblestone streets.  A few passersby immediately moved from their path as if they were intimidated by their very appearance and others either ignored him or gazed defiantly at them.  When he was sure Cyrus wasn't paying him any heed, Maichello sneered arrogantly at a few of them and pulled at the brown leather of his doublet.  "My lord, how far is it to the castle again?" he asked, readjusting his ponytail.

"I've already told you back at the tavern. It's about an hour's walk away," Cyrus replied.  Brushing back stray hairs, he added, "Why are you so anxious anyways? That's the third time you've asked me."

"Sir, well, I've never walked this far before.  Especially in these new boots my Melly made me a few months ago, that I haven't yet broken in.  And I hate to say it, but I my feet are killing me!" he shrank down and faked a gasp at the tension building in is boots.  Cyrus looked down at his valet and said, "We'll get there soon enough, man.  Just have a little patience.  You couldn't have fooled me anyways because I remember you telling me not to long ago that you preferred these over any other footwear you have."

"Oi ya got me, sir.  But it hasn't ever taken this long before.  Either we keep lodging further and further every time or the castle's found a way to travel," he laughed at his foolery.

"It does seem that way, but I honestly believe it's just a --" The words were cut from Cyrus' tongue as his eyes noticed the familiar face within a doorway, away from the conformity of the crowd.  The one that made his heart skip a beat when he laid eyes upon her as her head shrank back into the building as quickly as it came.  "Do I spy with my most unworthy eye a beauty that can render me weak?" Cyrus breathed to himself before telling his valet, "Come, Maichello let us meet with Lady Kisa before hand shall we."  He smiled, adding a short bit of laughter as Maichello snapped out of a daydream and made his way towards Itsy's.

The only thought passing through the servant's mind was: Finally a place to eat!

Anonymous

"He does not have a name," Kisa retorted haughtily, "and he does not have an appearance! He does not exist!" Her wicked smile told a different story, though: wait until later, it seemed to say, and I'll tell you all the precious details. Kisa loved hearing about others' amorous adventures -- now it was, amazingly, her turn to tell the tales!

The banter between Meriel and Katrina made Kisa feel absolutely at home; oh, she did recognize that sort of family play! A sudden longing to return home to her family rushed over her, but she pushed that away and decided that the only thing for it was to write another letter to her mother tonight. I'll see them soon enough, Kisa thought. Even if by then I'll be married and not an Alberich any longer... Though the thought made her wince, at least she was fulfilling her duty to her family. She did not allow herself to think of Cyrus or the possibilities there; the touch of his lips on hers was still too fresh, too poignant -- not painful, only a pleasure too sharp and too confusing to be borne yet.

The sudden shout of his name from Arolyn's tinkling voice broke Kisa from her reverie like a thunderstorm breaks trees from the earth. "AROLYN!" Kisa snapped furiously, but it was too late: the damage was done and she saw Cyrus walking now purposefully towards her, with a purposeful smile, with purposeful lips and Kisa felt her heart begin to pound and the nerves just pile up in her stomach -- "Oh, dear," she could only manage, "Arolyn, you really shouldn't have done that..." Kisa's face switched rapidly from a bloodless pale to a cherry-red. Katrina's sudden mention of the man's name made Kisa's face turn abruptly pale, and she couldn't help but dart another glance out the door to see if he was any closer. He was! Oh, blast it... The possibilities rushed through her head and she was powerless to stop them: he was angry that she ran off last night, he would kiss her again when he got close enough, he only wanted to get into her skirts, he was madly in love already and would propose as soon as he could and take away her freedom for the last, most important time, he was trying to ruin the Alberich family, he was a ladies' man and did that to every woman he met, he loved her and wouldn't propose, he, he, he...

Blast it, blast it, blast it.

Kisa realized that Katrina was addressing her -- addressing her about Cyrus Medirein -- of course the Medireins and the Kaleasters would know each other, being so powerful -- and mustered up a broad smile to conceal her conflicting emotions. "Oh, well, Cyrus and I met last night, actually, perfectly by chance; he directed me to the Castle along with Arolyn, and--" Kisa broke off abruptly and exchanged a glance with Arolyn. Was this the right time? The last thing she wanted to do was scare off their most powerful potential allies by raving like a madwoman about demons and slaves.

Her curiosity was diverted by Meriel's interruption and Katrina's dismissal of it. Kisa could not fathom what either possibly meant, but she did get the impression that, at the very least, it was not appropriate to speak of in new company. The thought almost reassured her: at least the Kaleasters were human and not above reproach! She was starting to think that every noble but her and the rest of her family was something of a demi-god.

Sparing only a small glare at the new brownie laughing derisively on her shoulder, Kisa lifted her head proudly again and stepped out the door to greet Cyrus. Her hands only trembled faintly, and she hoped no one would notice, and the flush on her cheeks could have been any energetic flush of being out and moving on a brisk day. "Cyrus!" she said warmly, refusing to let her voice waver. "It's so good to see you again!" And so soon, Kisa added desperately in her mind. What am I to say?

But what else? She would have to take his lead.

Anonymous

Arolyn shrugged, not seeing the importance of not calling out to Cyrus. "Wha? I thought you liked the guy anyway." Ohmaru burst out laughing, holding his sides. Arolyn looked around Kisa's head to glare at Ohmaru. "Why are you still here?"

"I'm stalking you. What else would I be doing here?" Arolyn flushed and said no more. She huffed and flew to Meriel's shoulder, sitting down with a small "pardon." Ohmaru hissed at her. "Don't be a crybaby, Queenie! Just 'cause you're afraid to talk to Liicta--"

Exhausted, she held up her hands in a sort of surrender. "--I haven't seen him in twelve years! I should be afraid to talk to him again! He thinks I left him on purpose, doesn't he?"

"Ahm...well, everyone thinks that, Queenie." Arolyn blinked. Everyone thought she ran away?

At Kisa's words, she glanced over at the noble and shook her head once. She didn't feel like discussing it at the moment, not when her buddies were somewhere nearby. She, for one, didn't want to disturb them with the life she had for twelve years straight.

Ohmaru's wings fluttered once and he turned to Kisa. His green eyes shone out against his crimson hair, showing an even deeper concern. "What happened to her, Your Highness? I already know she won't tell me what happened to her..." He looked over his shoulder, parting his wings so he could see over them. "...She's the type who won't talk unless it's absolutely necessary."

Arolyn smiled and, not hearing anything Ohmaru said, zipped over to Cyrus, giving him the same cling-hug she gave to Miss Itsy. "Hi, Cyrus! I mean, me Lord! How'dya sleep?" She looked up at him a moment, fly wings buzzing frantically.

Yeesh, Ohmaru thought, she's still got that same puppy-like behavior. That's too bad for Liicta--he was hoping she'd be a little more calm now that she's older.

((Pray for my grandmother, guys. She's in CCU (Critical Care Unit) in a medically-induced coma with tubes in her stomach and throat.))