Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dresses are scary [open]

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2007, 07:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Tyroshaun was hard-pressed not to gape openly at her for a moment.  He was silent for a good half a minute, just staring at her, and then said in a slightly strangled tone, “Excuse me a moment.â€?  Turning away from her and taking a rather large, fortifying drink of wine, he quickly forced his expression back into impassiveness.  Or rather, as near to it as he could manage.  And he hoped she wouldn’t say anything like that again, because otherwise he’d lose his self control and start laughing openly.

Even Tyroshaun knew that was a singularly bad idea.

He cleared his throat.  â€œI’m sorry.  I was… somewhat startled.â€?  He took a deep breath and then glanced at his wine glass, noting with pity that he really should have been more careful about how much he was drinking. Now he’d run out sooner.  â€œA book would have been most instructive, but I suppose I’ll simply have to rely on your excellent memory instead,â€? he said with a perfectly straight face.  He also noted the uncertain look, and was rather satisfied.  After all, if she could have even the slightest doubts, it would be something to work from.

Logic.  Pure, unadulterated logic was required to fix this situation.  The poor girl really had to be relieved of her brainwashed status.  After considering for a few moments how to approach the problem, he finally said, “I suppose I’ve seen a mage or two who had no problem killing, but then they were with bandit companies, and rarely even in charge, so I suppose they are an exception.  Besides, most bandits see the rest of the world as prey, not simply mages, and those were easily dealt with.â€?  Generally, during his lifetime, by either himself or the duke.  And that may not have been the best of starts for his argument, but there was no need to overly antagonize the girl.

After a pause, he added, “Actually, one of the most powerful mages I know is a healer.  Delicate work, healing, even with magicâ€"it takes a lot of skill to do it right and without harming either patient or healer in the process.â€?  He hesitated again, not sure how to put into easily understandable words what his mother had always told him.  â€œHealing… makes a kind of bond, if you will.  While it happens, the healer has to be able to know what’s wrong, how to fix it, and if it’s being fixedâ€"they can feel the injury or illness themselves.  I have yet to hear of a healing mage who is strong-willed enough to fight that empathy enough to deliberately harm a person, except in the rare case of self-defence.â€?  Or giving mercy, he added silently, but in his eyes that wasn’t harm.  Best put a person out of their misery if asked, in his opinion.  â€œHealers tend to be the kindest people, as a result.  Not necessarily soft or not temperamental, but kind certainly.â€?

He looked down into his glass again, swirling the wine thoughtfully.  â€œIn my experience, mages haven’t been much different from people in general, and certainly the kingdom and certain regions have never suffered from mages governing.  Quite the contrary, even.â€?  He smiled very faintly, thinking fondly of Glauster and how it was blossoming again.

Anonymous

She remained silent and still, despite the fact that he seemed terribly amused about something. There was nothing funny about talk of mages - certainly it made her uncomfortable, made her skin crawl. She wished she could get out of it. She almost wished she could go hide behind her mother's skirts, the way she had for some time after her father died... Not an option now, though, and she wouldn't have admitted to the impulse were she tortured.

'Nait truthfully couldn't think of a way to respond to that. No one in Connlaoth ever talked about healing mages - it just didn't happen. But, the thought crossed her mind, a mage could heal a person's wounds and in the process put some kind of evil in them, as a result of the spell... The thought made her a little nauseous. Any Connlaothan would sooner die than let a mage heal them.

Still, she could think of no way to articulate it to this utterly clueless man, and so she simply addressed the second part. "You say your countries haven't suffered as a result of being ruled by mages. Would you know the difference? Even the rulers who don't use magic themselves have those close to them using it, don't they? Magic can change even an honest man."

Anonymous

He saw the stiffness, and shook his head slightly as though clearing his mind.  Clearly this was going to take quite a bit of work.  Still, he couldn’t resist adding to the subject of healing mages.  He could tell it had troubled her.  â€œHalf the reason the country’s still standing is probably due to the healers,â€? Tyroshaun added, trying to sound as off-hand as possible.  â€œThey always take so many risks during wars or plagues and the like.  Not to mention the number of children and mothers they save.â€?  There, that ought to make his point nicely.

A wry smile crossed his face at her rather naïve question.  She was a bright girl, certainly, but she also clearly hadn’t been trained to run an estate.  That had been one of the lessons which had started earliest for the young Aldanrin.  â€œBelieve me, miss,â€? he said dryly, “when a country or region is badly run it’s incredibly apparent.  Not to say Serendipity is perfect, but a badly run country is nonetheless easy to spot.â€?  He sighed a little, thinking of what the older inhabitants of Glauster could remember.  â€œThe gaps between noble and lower classes tend to be even wider, with a merchant or scholarly middle class next to nonexistent.  Overall quality of life tends to be incredibly high for a tiny percent and horribly low for the rest.â€? He frowned slightly.  â€œAdmittedly, it’s a flaw inherent in the system…â€? A slightly dark look crossed his face as he remembered his dispute with his father.

Still, that was neither here nor there, at least as far as his current conversation was concerned.  â€œOther signs tend to be particularly low rates of education and lots of illness among the lower classes, high crime rates, and so forth, although a lot of that is sometimes unavoidable in a large city like Arca. On a smaller scale, though...â€? He paused, and smiled then. “Healers are useful that way.  They can do more with lessâ€"very handy to have one in a small village.â€?  He paused, then, and glancing down again, asked almost shyly, “What did you think of Glauster?â€?

Anonymous

'Nait remembered to breathe. She remembered that smacking a noble of Serendipity was probably not wise, and would probably cause some sort of issue her mother would not enjoy working out, if not a diplomatic incident. All things considered, she thought she was doing quite well, remembering those things.

"No offense, Aldanrin, but I wasn't particularly looking for or in the mood for a lesson on government. Believe it or not, I actually grew up a noble too."

And in addition to that, she gave him a look that said, rather simply, I'm not an idiot. Don't treat me like one. Honestly, like she didn't know the differences between a good government and a bad. But the government in a mage-controlled land... Maybe it could be good for its people. Maybe. But still, the morality of it all... Something had to be corrupt, somewhere. Not that she could rely on him to point out just how and where.

"Glauster?" she asked, and then paused. "Oh. Your home. It was nice enough. I think I preferred it to the capitol, to be honest. It seemed quieter." Well, that was a lie. She would have preferred it, had it not been for the mage-children. Those ruined it a bit for her.

Anonymous

Tyroshaun was entirely unperturbed by the shift in the girl’s mood.  At this point, any sign of annoyance from her was almost certainly signalling the beginning of some actual thought, and being forced to think rarely made anyone pleasant company.  It did, however, mean he was doing his job wellâ€"not that he doubted he would.  Somehow the thought that he was trying to undermine the Connlaothan belief system, even if only in one small girl-child, was enough to keep his usually volatile temper in check.

“Most nobles I know couldn’t tell the difference between a functioning, healthy government and mushrooms on the side of the road,â€? was his mild reply.  Or as mild as the rather vivid image, underlined by his lilting accent, possibly could be.

He covered the slight twitch of his lips at her tone and obvious attempt to figure out how a government could be apparently good for the people and still morally corrupt by taking another sip of wine.  He wondered, briefly, if all Connlaothans were like this, or if she was particularly stubborn about the subject.  He had a feeling that if she were, it was doubtless her mother’s fault.  â€œThank you,â€? he said quietly in response to her compliment, knowing it wasn’t entirely the truth.  â€œI really do apologize again for Nadia’s behaviour.  For what it’s worth, she was really the mind behind it.  I’m afraid my brother and cousin were collateral damage, despite their somewhat more… obvious involvement in the illusion.â€?

After a moment he admitted, as he looked into his glass again, “I’ve always preferred it to the capital.â€?  He smiled ruefully.  â€œAlthough I think I may have made that rather clear.â€?  He hesitated, wondering how much of his family history was entirely safe to reveal for the sake of making a point, and decided to settle for facts that anyone in court would knowâ€"however little they might mention it to his face, or any of his family.  â€œIt hasn’t always been like that.  Truth be told, as a whole the duchy wasn’t at its healthiest when my father got the title.â€?  She didn’t need to know how that had happened.  â€œHe and my mother are really the ones who got it back on its feet.â€? He smiled a little.  Arguments or not, he was still proud of his father.  â€œIt used to be a lot more dangerous, even when I was a boy.  But… things have quieted down a lot since.â€?

Anonymous

"Well, mushrooms are a lot less annoying," 'Nait said shortly, though from her tone and the dark glare she leveled at Tyrone, it wasn't clear whether she meant that governments were annoying, or Tyrone was.

She took a breath and took another sip of her wine, somewhat disappointed to find that that finished it off. Not that her mother would approve of her getting intoxicated here, but she needed to be at least a little buzzed or she wouldn't get through this alive, or at least without killing anyone else.

"The others did the magic, she was just the mastermind behind it?" she asked, eyebrows raised sardonically. She didn't say it aloud, because it would be a bit too offensive, and her mother would just about kill her for it, but she couldn't help but think that that was in itself a prime example of the corruptive influence of magic, and how could he not notice it?

Instead of saying that, she asked simply, "Do you make a habit of giving lectures to people you've only just met?"

Anonymous

Tyroshaun noted, with an inward roll of his eyes, that she was a little annoyed with him.  Still, he decided she had only herself to blame.  He had offered her a way out of the conversation, after all.  He finished his wine, only realizing after he had that there wasn't any left.  The observation distracted him from answering her for a moment.

“I only meant that a working knowledge of government or estate management isn’t exactly a requirement of being a noble,â€? he replied with a sigh.  â€œUsually the contrary.â€?  He really wanted to snap at her to stop wilfully misunderstanding what he was getting at, or avoiding the point.  But it wouldn’t do to lose his temper.

Tyroshaun looked away from her again, tilting his now-empty glass a little to catch the way the reflections of light changed.  It was something to look at other than her, even if it was a lot more boring.  He briefly considered getting another drink for himself, but then he’d have to be polite and offer to get another for her as wellâ€"and somehow he had the idea that accidentally giving the Connlaothan ambassador’s daughter a little too much wine was a singularly bad idea.  Still, it was a pity.  On the other hand, with any luck not being even noticeably relaxed by the wine would be good when it came to dealing with his father…  â€œOh yes,â€? he said rather absently.  â€œAidan certainly wouldn’t have been doing anything on his ownâ€"he’s by far the most easy-going.  He generally tries to be accommodating, and certainly wouldn’t try to frighten anyone.  My cousin is much the same.â€?  

He realized belatedly he’d just told her that it was the obvious mages of the group who were the nice onesâ€"and hoped she’d take that into account.  He wasn’t sure just where Nadia’s psychic abilities fit in (it was something of a dispute in the realm of magical theory, after all), so if it helped make his point… He smiled faintly, his eyes very briefly flicking up to meet hers, and then down again.  â€œNot always, no.  But then, I rarely get a chance to debate the ethics of magic with someone who believes the thing itself is evil.  Usually I can only talk about the application of it.â€?