Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The storm fades

Started by Anonymous, February 21, 2005, 03:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The castle was a mess of bodies. The wounded soldiers were being carried off by their comrades to the infirmary which would reach its maximum capacity before the afternoon. But that would be as far as it would get. Serendipity, thanks to the prowess of the many sections in its defence, had fought with bravery and devotion. It was no question that many guards would see knighthood early, and many others would be given great rewards for their loyalty to the Kingdom.

"Have the dead identified, and the wounded healed by the castle mages." Dawn ordered to a few guards who had flanked her, asking for the orders the other soldiers desperately desired. "If Fenway is well, please have him come see me." She added before sending the two soldiers off before entering the room that held some of her wounded friends.

Caanan winced back in agony as a nurse tried to dab the deep wound. His magic was not working to heal it. He couldn't remember the last time he felt such agonizing pain for so long. The sword had struck him near the collarbone, just missing his shoulder and, thankfully, it had been on his right side and away from his heart. He knew she was helping him, but he hated being healed without magic and yet, at the same time, he hated being healed with it. Using magic to heal one's self was like cheating the wounds you received as punishment.

"Hey, watchit, love!" A familiar Irish accented voice rang out. "I need tha' leg t'walk!" He added, squirming in the bed opposite to Caanan's. Akamu had suffered a broken ankle while he had fumbled with his sword. He and Tiaret probably could have taken that guy, but Akamu was more of a liability than an asset. Tiaret had had too much faith in his swordsmanship.

Kouken walked into the room slowly with a bandage across his chest. he'd received quite the wound when his draconic opponent had curled up and sent a spike into his chest. Though, he figured she'd gotten the worst out of the battle. And Liam? He walked away unharmed! That was luck, it truly was.

"You ok?" Dawn asked as she pat Kouken's head and smiled. "I saw you fly--you and Liam--thank you both." She added. She decided she'd wait for the nurses to finish working on Akamu and Caanan before disrupting anyone. She had a lot on her mind, but it could all wait until everyone felt better.

Goldie

"But you're arm!" A healer cried running after Fenway as he tried desperately to leave the infirmary.  He hated it there, and unless his wounds were going to kill him, he hated having them healed.  Healing always left him so sleepy and dazed for days!  It suited him much better to be in slight discomfort and vigilant than healed and dead on his feet.

"Is fine!" he cried back, "It's not as bad as all of you seem to think."  Just leave me alone, he thought desperately, but he knew that would never happen.  His arm really should use healing, he was just being plain stubborn, and it suited him well.  "I'm not going to die just because I was struck in the arm."

"You can see the bone!" she cried exasperatedly, throwing her hands to her sides, "I insist that it be healed.  You will be no help to the kingdom if you cannot weild a sword ever again."  Fenway faltered at her comment and knew that she was right, but didn't want to admit it.  If it wasn't at least stitched up he could loose full use of his arm...

Bah, that's being pessemistic.  He told himself, it'll be fine.....

"I insist that I'm fine." he tried again, but knew he was fighting a battle that he couldn't win.  With a defeated sigh he held out his arm, "Fine...if it will make you happy, go at it."  Damn....why did he have to be such a softy?  Blegh...healing...it was nasty and tiring....

The healer seemed happy enough though, and promptly went to work, resting her hand just above the wound and calling to her magic which engulfed the large gash from his shoulder to elbow in a fierce glow of gold light.

"Can you just heal that gash though?  Only that one?" but he had asked too late.  The magic flowed through his bloodstream and worked quickly and efficiantly to heal all the scraps and small lacerations he had received during the battle.

"Done.  Thank you very much!" with a satisfied smile she curtsied and left to attend other wounded men.  Fenway sighed, immediately feeling the drowsiness from the magic reaching his head.  Man, was he the only one healing acted like this toward?  He didn't see anyone else falling asleep after they were healed....maybe next time he could say he was allergic or something....

"Fenway!" a guard called, walking swiftly over to him, "The Queen has requested an audience."  He pointed in the direction of the ruler of Serendipity and the Master at Arms immediately went over.  She probably wanted a head count of the dead which was still being calculated, but was much lower than the last battles.

Reaching the Queen, he bowed reverently, "You wished to see me, Your Majesty?"

Rhindeer

"Oh, c'mon now, buck up! It's only a broken ankle!" Tiaret teased from where she sat, in the same room as the unfortunate Akamu and being treated for her own injuries: some cuts and deeper lacerations, some bumps and bruises, and a bloody, good sized knot on her head that, when she'd recieved it, had really made her see stars. Ugh, yeah...that hadn't been her most glorious battle...at all. She would have done better had she been on her own, but she'd taken the bumbling Akamu under her wing, and...well, yes, he did slow her up considerably.

But she didn't regret it. No one else was teaching him a thing, he <I>wanted to help out and probably would have with or without her, and, well, he would have gotten himself killed on his own, though he was pretty good for an ameteur. Even so, he was also surprisingly clumsy, and...hell, he nearly got the both of them killed when, right as an opponent popped up, he <I>somehow managed to snap his ankle. Tiaret hadn't seen how it happened, as she was kind of focused on fending off the attacker, but she had been overwhelmed. The warrior had been stronger than her.

She still couldn't remember who took over for her, just that in the next instant, the very last instant, she was shoved aside to land near Akamu on the ground, head thwacking against the wall...

Tiaret rolled her eyes as the nurse fussed over her, dabbing at her head injury which looked worse than it really was and wasn't even inflicted by the enemy! She'd come out better than a lot of the other fighters...and for some reason, it annoyed her that she had such minor injuries. For some reason, it made her feel like she hadn't been doing all she could.

Twisted logic, perhaps, but there it was.

Well, in any case the nurse was thoroughly pleased that she had taken so few injuries, and jabbered on about how unlady-like wielding a sword was, how back in her day it was unheard of, and where was her man that should have been there fighting for her instead, unless she was fighting with him, though why should she have to do that? Tiaret resisted the urge to hide her head in her hands, biting back a sigh...but was relieved when the endless chatter stopped. The woman wrapped some bandages around her cuts, announced she wouldn't have to heal her with magic because they were so minor and it allowed her to save the energy for those that needed it, and ordered her to take some rest.

Tiaret gave a small smirk and stood, but she didn't leave. Instead, she went to stand beside Akamu's bed to wait for him.

And ignore the other man that was in the room with them.

Cadmus was being helped up from a table by a nurse, his head spinning from blood loss though his body was no longer enflamed with pain. Though he'd initially tried stubbornly to brush off the healersâ€"and without much success, as one couldn't really do that too well collapsedâ€"he truly did appreciate the lack of pain, though it did nothing to replace the blood he'd lost. It wasn't really any single wound that did it to him, but all of them conbined...that had done it. Shifting back to his human form at the battle's end had used up the last of his strength.

It had been a long, long time since he had faced such a strong opponent. And regardless of the circumstances...it had been refreshing. Cadmus was a born warrior...and he couldn't help but feel fidgety when he couldn't exercise that side of him.

His right arm was in a splint, though due to the healing it was no longer broken, and in truth it had been his wing that had been snapped while he was in his Gryphon form, not his arm. However, once he had shifted back to his human form, the injury transferred itself to his arm insteadâ€"an odd side-effect of having extra appendages while in a different form.

Undoing the splint, the nurse tsked at him. "There, good as new! But don't be thinkin' this gives ya an excuse to go running around! You'll be needin' plenty of rest, now. Do you need help to your chambers? You lost a lot of blood."

Carefully, Cadmus stood, though he held onto the table with one hand to steady himself. "No...I think I will stay here. If I won't be in anyone's way, I mean," he added, looking back to her in question with those tarnished gold eyes. "I have companions here...I just want to make sure they are well..."

---

Sachi had come down from her chambers as soon as she was informed it was safe, though she would have earlier...if she had been able. But guards had been stationed at she and Caanan's rooms to keep her inside, and for those hours she had been a virtual prisoner in her own temporary home!

It had been sheer panic for her for those hours...the castle shaking, the cries of war coming from below, and...and she couldn't do a thing about it. She couldn't help, even though she wanted to, and wouldn't have even if she had been allowed. She was with child, and it really showed, now...and she wouldn't put the babe to risk.

"I must warn ya, miss...it's not a pretty sight down there," one guard cautioned. "Not right for a lady to see..."

But Sachi didn't listen. Holding the hem of her dress off the ground so she wouldn't tripâ€"to her own annoyance, she had no choice but to wear dresses anymore, and hadn't for a while, for her rounded belly didn't allow for any other garments!â€"she rushed down the stairs...and indeed, the sight that greeted her was gruesome at the best...

She tried not to look.

And prayed no one she knew was among the dead. But she didn't know! No one had told her, for no one knew! Oh Gods...please let them all be safe...Caanan...her brother...her friends...oh please...

The first place her feet took her was to the infirmary, and she flung open the doors and rushed inside, short, silver hair disheveled and silver eyes wide as she scoured the place for anyone she knew. Oh Gods...let them be here...let them be safe...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

A servant boy had just finished bringing in more fresh water for the injured and as he exited the infirmary, he saw Sachi. He'd seen Sachi many times over the passed year and knew who she would be looking for.

"Y-you won't f-find them here, m-miss." Hinsho stuttered, his voice low with a complete lack of confidence. "I-I saw the.. the guards b-bring them into another r-room." Hinsho finished, pointing down the hall in the direction he'd last seen the guards go in. He wanted to run away and have the encounter behind him now, but knew it would be rude for him to rush off and would probably get him in trouble with the other servants.

-----

"He-ey! It 'urt, it did!" Akamu protested as Tiaret teased him. "Yeh didn't crush yer ankle wit' yer whole weight, now did yeh?" He asked with a small pout. She was definitely helping take his attention away from his damned ankle whether she realized it or not.

"An' it looks like Xena: Warrior Princess did pretty well fer'erself considering th'andicap she got punished wit'." Akamu added, though he realized too late that Tiaret would not catch the reference to the television show. No matter, she'd probably get the gist of it anyways.

-----

Dawn turned when Fenway addressed her and slipped outside the room quickly so she wouldn't disturb those inside. It was best to let the nurses do their jobs, and for the injured to focus on letting go of their prides and accepting the help. Something Dawn had noticed Fenway had had to do based on the small wounds left about him.

"In two days there will be a knighting ceremony," Dawn said with a smile. "And you are relieved of your duties until that time. You haven’t been to the village in ages, Fenway, I'm afraid you might be growing bored with the same surroundings." Dawn added. She had more on her mind, but it was best to keep it short and to tell him what he needed to know for the upcoming events.

"I've asked for your horse to be waiting for you in the courtyard. While in the village, inform the guards there of the good news at the castle and see if the villagers have fared well during the attack."

Dawn trusted Fenway would be the best to check up on the village and take note of what he saw.

Goldie

(ooc: Sneaky Ivv!!!!  VERY SNEAKY!  XP )

He was actually very surprised by Dawn's request.  He had expected to be asked to check up on the remaining guards, to take inventory of the injured and the dead but...have a day off?  Two days off!?  It was anything but what he had expected and surprisingly it seemed harder for him to accept a vacation than to risk his life out on the battlefield.  Being a knight was his duty, that was what he had trained himself to do for years....

Wow...a day off....well, in a way he was still performing his duties wasn't he?  Going around and informing Serendipity that the battle had ended and that the good people of Serendipity had come out victorious...that was a duty.

Well good, now he didn't have to feel so terrible abandoning the palace while everyone else ran around doing post-war duties.  And quite actually, part of him was glad that he didn't have to be on clean up crew....it was always the most demanding both physically and mentally to wade through bodies, seperating the allies from the enemy, ignoring the smell and the carrion birds that flew overhead, just waiting for their chance.

Yeah...it was a really good thing to be away.....

"Of course, your Majesty" He replied with another poliet bow of his head. "But I'm only going because you've already gone through the trouble to set everything up." His eyes twinkled with mirth which he quickly masked with a small cough.  "Thank you very much." he added with another smile before he bowed and made his way out to his horse.

~~~~~~
EDIT:: I forgot to post Chai XDD

Her head ached as her senses slowly returned to her, but everything came back in such a blurr she could barely tell if she were dreaming or waking.  Sounds were the first thing she could decipher and it was that of rushing feet, slopping water from bowls that were being raced back and forth to help bandage and clean out the wounds of fallen comrades.

Feeling was the next sense to return to her, and she immediately could feel rough sheets beneath her and a light blanket drapped across her chest in an attempt to keep her comfortable.  But she didn't want to be able to feel, she wanted to open her eyes and see things, to figure out where exactly she was and what had happened in the battle.  She had fallen long before it had ended and was slightly embarassed about that.  It would have been better if she had done more to help, but right as she had fainted all the water she had been holding had disappeared into herself in order to protect both herself and the queen from the fiery bomb that had exploded only feet away from them both.

Oh Gods...the Queen...was she all right?  Had...had Chailyn been able to protect her!?

Her eyes snapped opened and she sat up quickly in the bed, immediately wishing she hadn't as her head spun causing her to simply collapse again.  Damnit...how much magic had she used in the battle?  It felt as if she had been run over by a horse 5 times and then dumped into a lake....

Well the lake part made sense...it seemed that her hair was seeping water and it ran down her back causing chills to race up and down her spine.  When she moved her head she could feel towels that had been positioned around her head...in fact, her entire bed was damp.  Sitting up, much more slowly this time, Chailyn inspected her bed and was surprised to see that her entire body seemed to be seeping water, straight through her pores.

"Ye've been like that fer a few hours." A healer told her, coming foreward to remove the towels and replace them with dry ones.  It took Chai a few seconds to understand exactly what the healer was talking about and work out how exactly she could have been so wet...and draining water...

"That burn on yer arm is pretty bad, but we couldn' heal it because o'yer little water problem."  Her eyes twinkled with mirth as her patient looked down at the damp sling that hung around her neck, supporting her arm which had not been wrapped...probably because it would have just caught all the water and made the injury worse.

"Thank you." she muttered, sliding her feet out of the bed and attempting to stand, water pooling at her feet before she sat down again, fighting against the dizziness that almost made her pass out again.  Damnit...she must have used more magic than ever before!  And if the side-effects were the same, she would soon be graced with a headache that could make even the most unfeeling person writhe in pain.  Great...just great....that could leave her immobile for days

"If yer plannin' on goin' somewhere..." the healer held up a thick robe which Chailyn accepted gratefully after noticing she had been stripped of nearly all her clothing except for a loose shirt, hoping that the water she had taken into her body was almost done draining.  It was annoying to just have the liquid pour down her face and legs without anyway to stop it, and with her magic drained to nearly nothing she couldn't even call the extra water out of her body.  Not without killing herself.  Tying the robe firmly about her waist she tried standing again, this time with much more success.

"I'll most likely be back..." she muttered, tottering slightly on her feet like she had never walked before, "If you hear any crashing, I'm probably falling down the stairs."

Rhindeer

"I'm sure it did," Tiaret replied with a grin, trying not to laugh as he made a pouty face. Wow...if that wasn't something you saw everyday! She was used to men putting on a macho front all the time; men didn't pout. But she didn't mind it at all. Quite the contrary, actually, she found it...ah, she didn't know what she found it, what the word would be. Unique, that was certain. And...well, funny. Hmm...maybe the right word would be endearing? She wasn't quite sure. It was interesting, that was all.

Akamu certainly was his own person, and very different from the typical men she was used to.

It was a breath of fresh air, really. Though she'd never admit to that.

"You did really well, Akamu. Seriously. That was a tough battle, and we did not get much training in before it. For what you knew, you did very well, andâ€"'Xena: Warrior Princess'?" She blinked, and absently brushed a stray lock of thick black hair from her sandy eyes to veil her surprise. "What are you talking about? Are you talking about me? Akamu...are you sure it was just your ankle that was wounded...?" she asked, brushing her eyes over him from head to toe as though looking for an injury the nurse had missed.

Yep. That reference flew right over her head with a resounding whoosh, all right.

---

Her eyes darted to the familiar servant as he spoke, silver eyes wide with worry and even some fear, but then she gave a small sigh of relief. Even her tail drooped as her tense muscles relaxed. "They're...they're okay, then, right?" she asked, but didn't wait for a reply. Of course they were alright. If they weren't in the infirmary, that was definitely a good sign!

Turning, she rushed from the infirmary, the doors swinging shut behind her, and, holding up her skirts with a small sigh of annoyance, she rushed again toward that room.

Sachi knew she was being bad...the nurses had told her that she needed to rest and ought not be on her feet much, for they seemed to feel the babe would be coming early, and it certainly felt as though her time were drawing near. But...it would be okay! She hadn't been doing much at all, and that was driving her crazy, even though she knw it was for the good of herself and the child. But...it couldn't hurt just this once. She'd been laying around all day today, trying not to stress herself to death, so a little moving about...it wouldn't hurt anything. She just had to know.

Just this once.

She opened the door, and rushed quickly into the room, and hoped she would find those she was searching for...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"Y'almost got away wit' a compliment," Akamu said with a smirk. "Almost." He added. Tiaret had said he'd done well, then questioned his intelligence. She was not very good at just being optimistic, but Akamu didn't mind. He hadn't expected her to understand what he was talking about, anyways.

"You'd think fer th'time you've been 'ere that you could'a taken on that whole army," Akamu said. "But I guess yeh proved tha' idea wrong," he added.

"Not that there's anyting wrong with tha', mind you." He said. He didn't mean to tease her too much, in case she was in some sort of shock from the fight. Akamu would have been, but he'd been around for the first siege and that had really swept him off his feet. He'd seen people be shot and killed, even stabbed in an alley way, but not some kind of war as full-scale as this where it was mostly hand-to-hand combat. Well.. With magic. That was something else to be amaze about.

----

"Ah! Miss, please!" A nurse shouted, ushering over to Sachi to steady her. "You should be resting, miss." She added, looking Sachi over. She put a hand over Sachi's belly to feel the baby. Yes, the baby would come any time now and she guessed within the next two weeks. She'd really never seen such a large belly on a woman, but she suppose that perhaps the fact that neither Sachi nor Caanan were entirely human--Caanan! Of course Sachi was here! She'd been so blind!

"He's been injured," the nurse said calmly. "Nothing to worry about once he stops refusing the help. He'll be fine, miss, go back and get some rest."

Caanan didn't bother to look over when he heard the nurse fuss over Sachi. He didn't need to see who it was, but a part of his was not at all enthusiastic about her presence. Things had been wearing down on him lately, and his head was playing games. He didn't know what he thought about anything anymore, really. He didn't know if he wanted to be left alone or see Sachi. He was tired, but he wanted to wait until his magic healed him. Why be healed by another and let his magic fade to nothing?

Rhindeer

"The whole army?" Tiaret blinked, sandy eyes widening expressively. "Ahah...you give me far too much credit, Akamu," she muttered, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly. She knew he was teasing, but still, she wasn't that good with a sword! She imagined she was on the same level as a common Serendipity soldier, perhaps, if she had to make a comparison about her skill level. She was no knight, though, that was for sure, and she'd taught herself everything she knew. Perhaps if she'd ever received a tutelage in the subject she'd be a warrior to reckon with, but she could only consider herself average in her own eyes.

Maybe she was far too modest, but...she couldn't help but consider herself average in most things, for that matter. There was nothing special about her, and she didn't think that way to degrade herself! It was simply the truth. That was all. And she was an honest person, or tried to be.

Tiaret didn't seem at all affected by the battle that had just occured, not in a mental or emotional sense. Where she came from, war was as common and ordinary as sunshine. It was depressing when she thought about it, that war was so common a thing as to numb individuals to the sight of it, but it was only a passing thought. Corpses were nothing new to her, and perhaps it helped, in the end. Someone not used to such a sight could very easily be traumatizedâ€"hell, even those that were</I> used to such a thing could be mentally damaged! Back in her home, she'd seen some veterans before that would flinch at a sudden sound or movement, eyes going wild as some bad memory was triggered, even if the action was perfectly harmless and innocent...

"Are you feeling okay, Akamu?" Tiaret asked as an afterthought, suddenly a bit worried. He'd been through two seiges since he'd come, and she wasn't sure about how common such a thing was where he'd come from.

---

Sachi gave a small huff of annoyance as the nurse rushed to her to steady her, though inwardly, she was grateful for the support. She did feel heavy, and rightfully so! Her body structure was thin and light; she wasn't used to packing so much weight, not used to not being able to see her own toes, and the energy she had expended had left her breathing a bit heavier than she should have. And, well...she knew she should be taking it especially easy, with the babe on the way soon, but...she just had to find Caanan.

When the nurse finally spoke about Caanan, stating he'd been injured, Sachi bit her bottom lip anxiously. Ugh. She thought so. Him getting injured was no new thing...she couldn't think of a battle where he hadn't suffered some injury! But that thought was also a comfort, at the same time. He'd pulled through a lot of nasty, grievous wounds. That fact made her even more confident that he'd pull through another.

Except...

"Refusing help?" Sachi gave a sigh. Well...at least he was strong enough to be stubborn, that was a good sign. "Ugh, that's him, all right. Okay, where if he? I wanna see him. I'll go back once I see him, okay? Please," she practically implored the nurse as she told her to go back and rest some more.

But she didn't wait for the nurse to respond.

Pulling gently away, she scanned the room quickly with her silver eyes as she walked, carefully, further into the room. Walked, because she really was tired, and she didn't want to overwork herself like the nurses warned her not to. Luckily, the nurse didn't try to stop her, just sighed and shook her head, and Sachi was allowed to go to Caanan when she finally spotted him.

But...

He wasn't looking at her. Even though he no doubt heard her voice...she didn't see how he could not hear, because, well, the nurse had implied that he was awake...

"Cane?" Sachi whispered tentatively, stepping up to his bedside and placing a slender hand on his shoulder gently. "Oh man...I was so worried about ya...
"

Anonymous

Caanan sighed silently. He'd been looking at the side of the bed beside him as he lay there on his back, deciding not to look at anyone. He couldn't formulate exactly what he was feeling. It wasn't about the siege, even. He felt such a strong need to be alone and to just get out what was frustrating him but... how easy would it be to express something one did not even understand? Caanan couldn't understand his tension, or his want to ignore Sachi before.

It was as if Caanan had taken a complete one-eighty turn in his feelings and thoughts about everything. He didn't understand the sudden change, and he attributed it to all the time spent at the castle and non-stop thoughts about the siege.

As Sachi's hand touched Caanan's shoulder, shifting the skin slightly, Caanan felt the pain from his wound. The stinging feeling made him wince, but he said nothing. The pain brought him back to reality--because he knew the pain was a real feeling he had just felt. It was not a trick his mind was playing.

"I'm fine," Caanan said as he turned his head finally to face her. "Nothing to worry over," he added, but not much truth came with that statement or at least Caanan didn't think so. He couldn't place his thoughts, and he couldn't explain his desire for solitude and yet at the same time he wanted to do something and have fun. Like before...

"Me? I'm fine. I just need a cast'er somethin' fer my ankle--yeh guys do somethin' like tha', right?" He asked, remembering he couldn't very well expect them to cast his ankle like they would have in his own time. Something to help it heal, at the very least. All Akamu needed was to have an odd walk because of this!

Akamu's attention turned to Caanan, though. It was interesting in a car crash sort of way. He knew something was up with Caanan, just by the way he looked away from Sachi. No, he couldn't hear anything that was being said, with all that was going on about them, but Akamu knew something was up. He wouldn't be surprised at all if Sachi saw it either. Akamu may have known Caanan for longer, but the look Caanan had said it all--then again, maybe that was because Akamu had known the wild carefree Caanan? The one before any of this?

Goldie

Chailyn wanted to push away the guards, to argue that she was fine and could walk herself, but her ghostly face was evidence enough that she could do nothing of the sort.  If she had been aware of her ancestry she would have realized that her magic came from a very different place that palace mages and that over exerting herself this far away from any definate water sources could destroy her with ghastly speed.

But the fact of the matter was, that she didn't know anything about her past, her real family, and lived in ignorance to not only the full potential of her magic, but the limitations that came with it.

She tried to stagger along with the two men on either side of her, but soon found she was being carried more times then not and eventually gave up the effort.  It was only taking more out of her anyway and wasn't even helping that much.  It was as if her very life had been sucked away the instant she had tapped into the hidden source of magic she had no idea she had and now wished it had remained secret.  How stupid had she been?  Killing when she didn't have to, acting purely on instinct....

Was her instinct to kill?  Oh gods...

No..not to kill, to stand up for what's right.  The killing had just been a side effect she would need to address and remember to keep herself calm in the future.  Standing up for what she believed in, yes, that's what it was.

Something soft pressed against her back and it was in this instance she realized that she had passed out before she had even reached their destination and immediately woke again, sitting up in the cot the guards had laid her in, only to nearly fall back again.  Her head spun dangerously, but she forced herself to stay awake.  She wasn't going to let exhaustion stand in the way of what Dawn needed to say...especially if it was to reprimand her for her folly in the dungeon.  Best hear it now rather than let the Queen sit on it and it evolve.

Pulling her knees up to her chest, she rested her head on them, looking sideways at the room.  It was different than the infirmary...much different.  Smaller and more...cozy is the word...maybe.  But different all the same.  Where had she been taken?  And...why?

Anonymous

Chailyn had been carried to the private infirmary Dawn's uncles had been brought to. Caanan and Cadmus, and the rather talkative Akamu as well as Caanan's wife, Sachi and Akamu's friend, Tiaret, who seemed to have come out the least harmed of the bunch. There were two nurses busying about the few within the large room and for the most part things were relatively calm--well, as calm as they could be.

Dawn sat by Chailyn's bed, thinking for a moment. She could see Chailyn struggle to bright herself to sit up and be attentive, so Dawn thought it would be best not to keep her waiting.

"We'll say he was killed in the siege," she said finally, her mind still thinking things through. Yes, it would be best if the guard Chailyn had killed was said to have died in the siege. It was a brave and valiant way to die and one that could be honoured by any of his family, if he had one.

"I know the dungeons are a gruesome sight, and much is not what Serendipity believes is rightful punishment, but I have no time to argue with Darlig," Dawn explained. Indeed, when she began to speak of Kingdom affairs she became much more adult and regal than the usual Dawn.

"For those they have killed they must suffer the consequences. They will all be put to death for the men they have killed--the families they wilfully destroyed--but before they die I am to extract all the information I can to stop this from happening again. Its a gruesome reality, but it is reality. If we cannot stop the problem at its root, then we can never stop the havoc."

Dawn sighed. She didn't like this anymore than Chailyn, but she did believe her own words. Anyone of those close to Dawn could have died defending the Kingdom from that damned army. Again! Had that sword struck Caanan a few inches over he'd have died. Such a fate had already fallen onto Dawn's parents... murder. Dawn never wanted to lose another person she cared for again.

Dawn also knew Chailyn had little to lose. She came to Serendipity to find a purpose, and maybe she had. She had strong beliefs and a good heart and she had saved Dawn in the battle.

"Chailyn, you acted out of anger but you are no monster. Your strong beliefs and will leave me with nothing to do but admire you. What you did was not right, but your reasons behind it... I believe they were." Dawn was only speaking on what she believed Chailyn had acted out upon. She believed that if anyone saw the dungeons they would have felt a strong need to do something, but Chailyn actually had done something. Whether it was right or wrong, the courage she displayed in acting on her beliefs was admirable.

Goldie

She couldn't help the tears that filled her eyes, mostly because she was too exhausted to do anything that took even the remotest amount of effort.  Turning her head away she hid them, trying desperately to blink them away.  It wouldn't do to have the queen think that she was weak.  She wasn't weak.....not anymore...not now....

Gods, but she was weak!

"Thats....that's it?" she whispered, turning her head back when she was sure she had her emotions under control, "You're not going to punish me?  Throw me in the dungeon...?"  She deserved it too.  Everything that those men were enduring she felt that she deserved it too.  Hadn't she just acted on her own accord?  Hadn't she just killed someone wilfully?

Who was she?  What was she?  For the first time in her life she felt questions arise that she had only thought about vaguely before they were dashed from her mind.  But now she had just demonstrated how devistating her powers could be, how terrible they could be int he wrong hands...in the wrong mind.  What would happen if someone tapped into the power?  The anger at herself?  Could they use that against her?  Gods, but who was she?  Where had she come from?  Who had fated her to become who she was?

"I...I didn't mean to..." she murmered, turning her head away again, looking up at the ceiling as a fesh batch of unshed tears began to well, "...I was...angry....no one deserves that....not even the worst of people deserve what they are going through."  I know she thought silently, I have been through it....been through it and survived....  By the tone in her voice it was clear that she was speaking from experiance and not simply from some girls fantasy about how good the world should be.  Resting her forehead against her knees  the robe and thin shirt was was wearing shifted, revealing the tips of the red and silver scars that covered her back and sides.

She was sick of wondering....sick of asking questions in her mind that could never be answered by herself alone.  But was there anyone in the world that could answer her questions?  Who out there would have known her parents?  Would have been able to tell her about her past?  No one knew her....no one....

But Arion....hadn't he appeared when she had needed him?  Spoken to her almost as if they were kin?  Could he...?  Did he have the answers she was seeking?

Anonymous

Dawn sighed. Chailyn didn't understand why they needed to be punished and tortured. Dawn understood. Her uncle was in the very room as Chailyn and was slowly recovering from his wounds from the battle. He could have died and for what? To defend a Kingdom from a group who had never even lived int he Kingdom? For those who wanted nothing but power. Mindless drones, power-hungry mindless entities.

The thought of losing someone else close to her was honestly unbearable. What if Cadmus had died instead of that commoner? What if it had been Caanan? What if they had breeched the castle so far to have gotten to Sachi? Would Chailyn still have believed the torture was unnecessary? The entire siege was unnecessary, but that hadn't stopped them. They had no remorse for their actions and death was a small price to pay for the suffering and agony they caused.

"If someone you loved died at their hands, would you feel the same way? There is a girl who fought for the Kingdom and lost her brother at the hands of the army's leader. She has nothing, absolutely nothing. The Kingdom will only be able to do so much for her but no one can replace the life she loved and lost." Dawn explained. "He died defending his sister an his Kingdom from a group who didn't belong here, a group who came for the sake of domination and carnage."

Dawn sighed again, it was a heavy subject. "I know you didn't intend to hurt anyone," she went on. "If you'd like, I could offer some of the castle's magic trainers to aid you, or I could do it myself." She offered. Something about all the hurt in Chailyn's eyes made her forget she was Queen and had no business training anyone.

Dawn failed to see Chailyn's scars; her eyes had focussed either away from Chailyn--and anyone--altogether or directly in Chailyn's eyes.

Rhindeer

Sachi blinked, and drew back a little, taken aback by his shortness. She couldn't remember him ever being short with her, and she noticed how he only looked at her at the end. Almost as if he didn't want to look at her. She could only help but notice; she knew Caanan like herself, or she thought she did, and they'd been together for so long. So she found this strange...but then maybe not? He had been wounded badly...anyone could be cranky after that, and tired, right? But it was Caanan, her Caanan...

Yet, some little voice in her head asked her if she was really so surprised. Even she wasn't so blinded by hope and optimism as to not have noticed the way he'd been acting lately, the way she'd...the way she'd hardly seen any of him lately. The way he seemed to vanish all day, the way that, though they lived in the same castle, she hardly saw him. It...it was so different. He was different, and she knew it, deep inside. It used to be that being apart for a mere few minutes was painful and difficult, and that when they finally reunited they would kiss and embrace like it had been months.

But there'd been none of that, and Sachi found herself missing it. Missing the subtle little touches from him: a hand light on her hip, a soft brush on her arm. Those subtle, affectionate touches that told her she was forever his, and he was hers.

There'd been none of that, much less none of him coming up behind her and sweeping her off her feet like he used to, them laughing together between kisses and holding each other like they never wanted to let go.

None of that. He hardly even talked to her.

Sachi bit her bottom lip and looked down at him with those same big, silver eyes, fighting to remain composed, fighting to hide her disappointment. Her fear. "Oh...okay...I...I just wanted to make sure. Did I wake ya? You can go back to sleep...I'll stay near ya, make sure the nurses don't try and cop a feel!" she said with a weak smile, trying for some cheer.

---

"Cast? What is that?" Well, that answered Akamu's question easy enough. "Anyway, I think the nurse should be here soon. You will probably be treated like me: we both have minor injuries, so you will be allowed to heal naturally, so the healers can save their strength for the bad cases. Ever had a broken bone? The nurse will set the bone, then splint it. You will not be able to walk proper for a while. They will give you crutches, and...hmm?"

Tiaret noticed the way Akamu's attention had turned from her and onto Caanan and Sachi, but she didn't quite know the reasonâ€"she wasn't as familiar with the couple so as to know that there was tension flowing. But she did notice the crestfallen look of Sachi, the way she seemed to be faking happiness...and she could only assume that Sachi was just trying to be strong for her wounded man.

---

"Your Highness!"

A soldier made her way in through the rooms, maneuvering around all the bustling nurses, to come to a standstill before her Queen. She bowed low and proper in deep respect and obedience, and she couldn't help but feel a bit awkward coming to the queen when she seemed deep in some private conversation. But her news was urgent, and she quickly straightened herself before delivering it. "Your Highness, the dungeon-keeper and his assistant have leftâ€"none knows where to, they distracted us and then vanished." She left out just how they'd been distracted, though her uniform was splashed with blood, hinting that the method was not exactly conventional.

"And Mina of the Dread Army has come, and has freed one prisoner so far. They are all weak, though. Soldiers are down there to apprehend them, but many are weak...some were injured by the dungeon-keepers...distraction methods. But we will get it under control, Your Highness!"

Anonymous

Gentle blue eyes slowly open to view the world around them. The eyes of a ten foot minotaur stare up at the cieling as he lays there with little energy to even move his head. His entire body has cuts and scrapes from fighting the blasted demon. His chest has quite a few puncture wounds as they were made by the massive demon impaling his horns into Bullathra's chest to smash the two of them through a castle wall. His right arm is one thing he could not feel. Only, there's very sharp pain running through where the arm connects to the shoulder. The damned demon servered Bullathra's arm completely off with his wicked tail and the minotaur paid him back by taking his tail clean off.
His awakening occured right before the soldier dashed into the room to notify the queen of someone attempting to release prisoners. Bullathra forced enough energy into himself to slowly sit up. The sharp pain got stonger and Bullathra was forced to wrap his left hand over his right stub. His eyes focus in on the queen as he slowly edges off the bed and drops down onto his hooved feet. Now for the gruling task of standing up in his weakened state. It takes a whole lot of effort, but in time, the minotaur finally builds up enough energy to stand up off the bed. Once up on his feet, he staggars a bit, but manages to remain on his feet. He looks to his left to see his ax leaning up against the wall, so he lets go of his right stub to grab ahold of the ax with his one good arm. From there, he staggars up to the Queen of Serendipity.
"I will go." Bullathra notes with his will overpowering his body. The last thing they need is escaped prisoners.

Anonymous

Caanan could hear the change in Sachi's voice. She could fool herself all she wanted to, but the change in her voice was as clear as glass to Caanan's ears. The thought saddened him, though. He could feel so much distance between them and still know within his heart that they knew each other so deeply, both inside and out, that there was still a connection between them. Their souls were intertwined and connected even in this distance they'd set up between themselves--even if unintentionally.

Caanan wanted the conversation to end. For a moment, however, he believed he actually felt his heart ache. Not as a figure of speech or metaphor to express his sorrow, but as if he truly felt his heart sink in the sadness he felt by the tone of her voice. He couldn't leave the "conversation" at something so simple.

"Can we go home?" Caanan asked, his hand weakly grabbing Sachi's sleeve, then gently slipping away from it and back onto the bed. "Tomorrow? Can we leave and go home?" He asked again. For the past four years Caanan had rarely, if ever, asked Sachi if they could go anywhere as if relying solely on her decision. Furthermore, his voice had sounded... sincere yet distant at the same time. He wanted to get away from this castle desperately, but didn't know if the result would change his thoughts and spirit.

"Set it?" Akamu asked, flipping his head back and sighing. That'd hurt like a bitch! He almost figured it would be better just to chop the entire limb right off and be done with it. Setting the bone was so horrible and painful!

"Alright, lad," a nurse said as she  made her way to his bed side. She'd brought another nurse to come help her and, as she put a hand on Akamu's shoulder the other nurse jerked his let and set it back into place. The action was so quick it was almost violent.

Akamu let out a yell and looked at the nurses with wide eyes. "I feel violat'd" He said, his voice dry and tone surprised. Yeeesh! Way to warn a guy! Akamu would have definitely opted to just completely chop the limb off had he known about their violent techniques!

The nurses wrapped his leg with a piece of wood and some cloth and left him some crutches by his bed side.

Dawn's eyes went wide as the guard addressed her. "Inform the mages and gather at least half a dozen guards who have yet to take their shifts," she ordered, standing up.

With Bullathra's bad state, Dawn was hesitant. She called for a nurse to go to his side. "Allow him to heal you," Dawn ordered, "before you go anywhere. It will only take a few moments." She added.

Dawn sighed and brought her hand to her brow. Would this ever end? Would the havoc ever stop? She looked to Chailyn after a few moments once everyone had gone. She expected Chailyn would maybe like to reply to what she'd said earlier, but after the interruption, she was not depending on any type of response. Chailyn just needed to rest right now, really. Everything else could come secondary.

Goldie

The young woman thought over Dawn's words and as much as she knew the Queen was correct, she couldn't help trying to fight their truth.  How could torture like that be the right thing to do?  How could she ever accept that...that man...that he was right in what he did...what he took pleasure in doing.

Maybe she was more unsettled by the look of joy that she had seen gleaming in his eyes then by what he was doing, but whatever it was, she had set standards about what was right and wrong and that, certainly, was not right.  She could still feel the fear even this far away from the dungeon.  It clung to her like her damp hair stuck to the back of her neck.  She knew exactly what those men were feeling....the complete helplessness, the terror that it would continue forever....

"You would help me?" she asked so softly that it was barely audiable.  It had never accured to her that someone would want to offer her help in the control of her emotions and her powers.  No one had ever done that for her and she was at a loss of what to say.

Luckily she didn't have to say anything else as the guard raced in to give Dawn the news of the dungeon.  Chailyn silently cursed herself for leaving so quickly.  If she had just stayed, maybe she could have prevented what had happened!

Sitting up she flipped her legs over the edge of the bed, forgetting entirely that she had just passed out from exhaustion and was nearing unconsciousness with each passing moment.  All she knew was that she wanted to help....she wanted to prove that she could do something good to right the terrible wrong she had just committed.

Anonymous

From where Dawn stood she brought her hand to point to Chailyn, and have her hand to a sort of 'stop' command. She was overwhelmed by the havoc going on in her damned castle and she could hardly formulate words. "Sit down." Dawn said slowly and through an exhausted voice.

She sighed and recollected her thoughts. It was being dealt with. Bullathra had gone to take care of it, as had other guards and the mages has been notified. All was well, right? Or at least, all would be well.

"You're no good in the state you've brought yourself to be in," Dawn explained, turning around to face Chailyn. Dawn had 'overdosed' on her magic once, too, though she had let herself go without rest for far too long. She ended up fainting and being saved by someone... a man someone had hired to protect her. The memory was a blur, really. She just recalled waking up back at the castle.

What a short-lived bit of freedom she'd experienced.

Rhindeer

"If you're well, Cane. I wanna go home, too. I'm goin' crazy here, I swear. I mean...it's nice here and all, and people do everythin' for ya, and there's everythin' ya need, but..." But it just wasn't home. And it wasn't her. Her place wasn't among nobility and politics, but among vagabonds and thieves. Sachi didn't feel at home here, nor did she feel like she ccould really be herselfâ€"it was only a little awkward to live in the very place she'd tried to rob years ago, when they were all a lot younger, and a lot more foolish. Now this very kingdom was run by her niece.

But it just wasn't her place. She was content among "her kind", content with her lifestyle, even if it went against everything her own niece had to uphold.

It was weird...

"An' I think...I think the babe might be comin' soon..." she added, her voice softening to almost a whisper and one hand coming up to touch her rounded belly. "I wanna have it at home...our home, ya know? With all our family and mates..." Her tail gave a light swish, a little out of nervousness, a little out of excitement. She truly couldn't wait for that day, when she'd finally get to see and hold their child, their progeny, yet at the same time, she was really nervous about the whole thing. Childbirth hurt! She'd heard the horror stories, and there were a lot of risks involved with it, too, risks of death or serious injury to both child and mother if something went even slightly wrong.

But...so long as all went well...it was worth it. The pain...it was only a temporary thing, right?

Right.

"...We'll...we'll go home tomorrow, love," she finally said, and gently reached out to touch his hand. Was that why he was being so short, so distant, with her? Maybe that's all it was...he was stir crazy and homesick.

That's all...

---

Tiaret laughed at Akamu's reaction, his comment on violation. Heh heh...definitely not the typical man. The typical, macho man would just grit his teeth and smile like an idiot like it didn't even hurt in the slightestâ€"even as his face turned red from trying to hold it all in. Akamu certainly said what was on his mind, and even made what was an understandably painful event amusing. Although...she wasn't so sure if he actually meant to be funny, or if that was just an accident and he really did feel that way.

Either way...it was funny. Poor Akamu.

"Well, you certainly endured that with a big, tough warrior's grace," she commented wryly.

---

As the nurse healed Bullathra, making short work of his injuries, the soldier gave a brisk nod and a bow to her queen. "Yes, Your Highness." Then, looking to Bullathra, she beckoned to him with a flick of her wrist. "Follow me. We must be quick."

With that said, she headed off toward the dungeons, addressing a few guards as she wentâ€"those she knew had only just begun their shift and were fresh for the job that awaited.

Goldie

Chailyn looked up with a slightly surprised expression at Dawn's words, but of course they made sense!  She certainly was in no position to be able to help with more than writing a letter, or sleeping.  Yes, sleeping she was very good at currently.  But her mind wouldn't let her rest, not yet while so much was pending on the mages in the castle!  The mages and the soldiers!

"But..." she started, a look of exasperation on her face, but she decided against saying anything else.  Even in her exhausted state she could tell that she would just be fighting a battle that she would ultimately lose, "Oh all right..." she muttered, pulling her legs back onto the cot and laying down, her sea green eyes staring at the ceiling, arms crossed over her chest.  Chai was doing her best to look like she was simply bored, almost like a last bit of defiance, childish pouting at that, with the hopes that possibly the queen would reconcider.

But she didn't even have the chance.  A few seconds after her head hit the pillow her eyes felt heavier and she closed them, determined not to fall asleep.  

Within moments her chest moved up and down rhythmically and her hands slid to her sides and exhaustion took her, replenishing the power she had used up.  If Chailyn had realized that when she finally woke her head would be pounding enough to keep her to her bed for another day, she would have thought twice about using that much magic and then fighting the sleep she so desperately needed.