Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Making Her Entrance

Started by Anonymous, August 05, 2008, 01:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A calm, composed face stared at Cassandra from the mirror, hardly a proper reflection of what she was feeling. It would be her first banquet at the palace, and therefore her introduction into society. Her mother had hosted a small celebration back at their home castle, but this would officially mark her entrance. The way her fellow nobles saw her for the rest of her social life depended on this one evening. Well, perhaps that was being a little melodramatic, but all the same. She didn't wish to make a fool of herself or embarrass her mother, who was chaperoning her this evening. At least I get to see my brother! It had been a long year since the two siblings had spoken face-to-face, and Cassandra was looking forward to filling Darien in on her exploits at the fief. All of a sudden Cassie heard a knock at the door, bringing the young lady back to the present.

Calling out for her guest to come in, Cassandra rolled her eyes as her mother, Lady Janelle, strode over and began making infinitesimal adjustments to her daughter's elegant, deep blue gown that complimented her eyes. It was utterly silent in the room as Cassie's mother gently tugged and straightened the young woman's evening frock to perfection – only then were they allowed to leave.

Lady Janelle and her daughter had been staying at their rooms at the palace, so it was but a short walk to the banquet hall, where Cassandra was ordered by her formidable mother to charm those who sat at their table and dance with every eligible bachelor after supper. And, as if to add insult to injury, Darien wouldn't be attending after all. His knight-master absolutely loathed parties, and thus decided to embark on a journey to explore the coasts of Serendipity, taking his squire along with him. Lady Janelle had told Cassandra this as they were walking to the hall, and needless to say, Cassie was a very unhappy debutant. Sitting down at their shared table, Cassie was relieved to see her mother sitting at the furthest end away from her. Glancing about, Cassandra wondered who her fellow diners were.

Anonymous

As Albireo pounded through the hallway, throwing aside soldiers, he created quite a scene. He was trailing a line of knights and crusaders, all trying to get him to stop his warpath to the baquet hall. He pushed the double doors open, and strode into the hall, amid all the clatter and gossip, all eyes turned on him. He shouted, a note of barely held anger present. "High Chancellor. Allow me to thank you for my unlawful imprisonment with vengeance. He gripped the man by the neck lifting him up, saying, "Today, you will pay for all of your crimes."

He lifted a hand, and said, "I, Vilv Lord Fifth Class, judge you under the crimes of unlawful confinement in a magical crystal, and treason against the Crown Family of Kaeth'u. For these crimes, I sentence you to execution." He lifted a single clawed hand, and lifted it to the man's chest, saying, "If you have any last words, say them, before you are impaled by my claws." The tiny man spoke, in a wheeze, whispering, "If you kill me, you will be finished." He laughed, saying, "Why would they do that, more lives would be needlessly lost, wouldn't you say, Necromancer?" He spoke this last phrase loudly, and gasps circulated around the room.

People whispered around themselves, saying, "Old Ki? A Necromancer? Nonsense." and, "Could it be true?" Albireo laughed, saying, "Yes, a Necromancer. You imprisoned me in a Soul Stone, but you forgot one thing. The crypt, was found. And opened. You did not use the seven seals. So, after killing over three hundred thousand people, they will all be revenged."

Anonymous

Looking up in perfect synchrony with the rest of the banquet hall, Cassandra was dismayed to see a fluffy, humanoid figure charge across the room and up the dais to grip an elderly man with long, furling claws. Not tonight! Why did he have to barge in tonight?! Cassandra had been hoping for a relatively quiet evening, but this man changed everything. He spoke of things and places Cassie didn't know about, and for a moment she searched her brain for an answer, but none came. However, she did know what a Necromancer was, and laughed loudly – the Vilv Lord must have been mistaken. If that ancient little man was a Necromancer, then shouldn't they all be zombies by now? Cassie tilted her head to left, a habit of hers when she was in deep thought. If that man thinks he can simply cause pandemonium here without explaining himself, Cassie thought coldly, I shall have to correct him. As much as she hated drawing attention to herself, the noble lady wasn't about to let her evening get any worse on account of a large, hairy man-beast.

Apprehensively Cassandra stood up, and the people at her table quieted. Her mother looked as though she was going to say something, but immediately shut her mouth when she realized that if Cassie was going to make her debut in society, she might as well do it with a splash. Gaining more confidence as she strode to the center of the room, the young woman addressed the Lord from next to the High Chancellor. "Vilv Lord Fifth Class, I am Cassandra Aalish, daughter of Lord and Lady Aalsih. Tonight you have intruded on a special evening, and I demand to know the cause." Taking a deep breath, Cassandra continued, fully aware that all the eyes in the hall rested on her. "You accuse our High Chancellor of unlawful confinement and treason against the Crown Family of Kaeth'u. You sentence him to death, yet you do not give him fair trial nor are you licensed to judge on Serendipity. Explain yourself." On a gentler note, she added, "And we will listen."

That was the longest speech Cassandra had ever given, and when she was finished the room was deathly silent. Cassie was fully aware that if the tattooed wolf-man were to attack her, she would have no defense. It gave her little comfort to see the guards milling warily about in the doorways – if the Vilv Lord had gotten past them before, who was to say he couldn't do it again? Nevertheless, Cassandra stood tall, hiding her quivering hands behind her back. She fidgeted nervously from foot to foot, though she did meet the Lord's gaze levelly, she desperately hoped her fear was well-hidden behind a calm mask. However, her curious mind did wonder about his statements, and the scholarly part of her brain begged her to ask the man what he was and where he came from. Well, it wasn't as if she could ask him now, so those questions would simply have to wait.

Anonymous

Albireo swiveled his gaze, and laughed. "You, a small child dares defy me?" He laughed, and said, "I can't decide, wether you are extremely courageous, or simply an idiot." His face went grim, and he continued. "I judge him upon personal experience. I judge him for both treason, and unlawful confinement in a magical prison twofold. There was a disease that had spread. I set of to find a cure. I did not know I was being followed." At this, he tipped his head towards the High Chancellor. "I finally found the cure, but he imprisoned me, in a Soul Stone, which is used in Necromancy. I do not know how long I was imprisoned, but, while I was, the cure never made it to Kaeth'u, and all of its inhabitants were slain by the disease, as were those of Quesqur, the Necromancer's home, as Royal Court Magician.""

He waited, as gasps circulated around the room. "So, when you ask, why do I not give him a fair trial? Because, in Kaeth'u, there was no "Fair Trial". If you were found guilty, you were punished. And, I ignore your judges, as they have no hold on his birth place. He was born in Quesqur, and has been a dagger in my side for too long. If you don't mind, I will take my right."

Anonymous

Cassandra winced at his mocking words – they had a ring of truth about them. She was only a child compared to him, and she had the strangest notion that her waning courage did stem partly from naivety. Cassie was no hot-blooded fighter, eager to pick a battle of words with foreigners. But she would listen and (even though he would ignore her people's judgments) draw her own conclusions. As she heard his story, numerous questions swirled about her mind. Kaeth'u and Quesqur are both unfamiliar – perhaps these were old kingdoms, and after their inhabitants were slain new, modern kingdoms sprung up. It was an intriguing idea, and Cassandra couldn't wait to get back home and to her father's vast library. Perhaps Father could help with the older documents... and I should have the maids dust off the tombs... maybe invite some of Father's friends? They can assist with the timeline... Jerking herself back to present, Cassandra reminded herself that she was in the company of one who wished to murder the High Chancellor.

"As it were, I do mind, but I suspect that my opinions mean nothing to you. But I would ask you to consider presenting your case to the people of Serendipity. Or, at least, to the nobles in this banquet hall. This man is our High Chancellor, and – guilty or not – a ranking noble in court." Like most citizens of Serendipity, Cassandra was able to be open to the idea that the High Chancellor was a Necromancer, but she did have one question. "For what personal reason did the High Chancellor imprison you? Others must have been out to find a cure for your people – so why seal you?" The shaggy man-beast was convinced that the only option for the High Chancellor was death, and Cassandra wanted to understand why. She couldn't be sure that the shrimpy little man being held next her was a Necromancer, and to be honest, she was beginning to get sick of debating with the Vilv Lord Fifth Class. I'm being whiny. Mother would scold me for being so unattractive, Cassie thought wryly. So patiently (and with a building fear of the Lord exploding into rage), the young lady waited for the Lord to be finished before her supper got cold.

Anonymous

He laughed. "Why would I ask your nobles? They are fools, the lot of them. Just waiting for another bit of gossip to spring up to pounce, and get more money, or land." He laughed, a low, short laugh, filled with contempt. "I have waited many long years to exact my revenge, and no court is going to stop me." He frowned, and said, "At the time, the disease was weak, slowly gainging strength. It only seemed necessary to send a single Loru, one of which was a race reknowned for seeking. At the time, I was the only obstacle. By the time the disease was strong enough to merit sending more, it was too late. It mutated, and began strengthening and spreading faster than ever. By now, it was fatal, within the day or two. By then, it had spread by merchant selling goods, to both kingdoms. It was too late, and this kelf," At this he gave a dirty gaze to the High Chancellor, "Ran away. Ran from his kingdom. I wouldn't be surprised if he helped form this one."

He though a minute, and grinned, a wicked, evil grin. "No. I will not kill him. I will do to him as he did to me." HIs tattoos glowed, and the High Chancellor was sorrounded in a bubble. He let go, and the bubble continued to float, and Albireo held both hands forward, chanting in a strange dialect. At this, the High Chancellor looked around, with fear in his eyes. He pounded the walls of the cage, attempting to find a way out. The tattoos glowed, in a pulsing motion, and then, a flash, and the bubble closed in on itself, with a small pop. Then, with a slight hum in the air, his tattoo's glow died down. He laughed, and said, "The deed is done."

Anonymous

Whistling softly to herself at his tale, Cassandra began to feel her doubt at his validity melt away. His scornful words concerning her fellow nobles were (for the most part) true, as much as Cassie hated to admit it. The Loru was only doing what he believed was just, though Cassandra was curious as the what the Vilv Lord would do once he was finished with his business. A quick look around the hall and she saw understanding on some of the more clever nobles' faces. And then, all of a sudden the tattoos on the Loru started glowing, and from her proximity Cassandra felt the power growing around her. This was true magic, not the simple enchantments she cast on her paintings to give them life. And it scared her.

Recovering from the fright that came from the High Chancellor simply popping into a bubble, Cassandra asked in a quiet voice, "what will happen to him?" She knew what he had done – imprisoned the elderly Necromancer in the same fashion that had been done to him, but was unsure of the repercussions. Her glance about the room had also shown her the guards advancing as reinforcements arrived, and knights seated at tables fingered their swords, waiting to see what the Loru would do. "You have done what you came here to do. Now what will you do?" Her voice was rising as the implications of the Loru's actions sunk in. Now nobles would be vying for the position of High Chancellor, and the court would be in turmoil if a new Chancellor wasn't appointed soon. Oh, what I would give for a good book right now... or at least a needle and some thread. Next time, Cassandra thought grimly, I'll leave this sort of thing for the knights. Not that she had much faith in those sitting in the hall. They had just sat there like lumps on a log while she talked with the Loru.

Another look around – would the guards try to detain the Lord? And what will Mother say?

Anonymous

"You have done what you came here to do. Now what will you do?"
Albireo looked around, confused. As the words began to sink in, he realized he had actually done it. "I...I don't know." With an impish grin on his face, he said, "To tell the truth, I was expecting him to retaliate and flee. I also expected something to...keep...me...at...bay." As he spoke these last words, loud thumps accompanied them. As the last of the thumps came, he turned around, fear in his eyes.

Then, he laughed. "God, you scared me. I thought I would have to fight something relatively dangerous." At the doorway was a knight, riding what appeared to be a huge avian. The knight originally was confident, but as Albireo spoke, fear began to take over. Albireo stood up, and said, "Well, let's get this over with." As Albireo approached, the knight began shaking visibly. Albireo walked up to him, and leaned next to him until they were nose to nose, and Albireo said, "Boo." The knight ran off, the bird running as fast as it could. Albireo laughed, and said, "Now, your soldiers. Would never last a second in my battle field. They would be cut down, and their swords, would never leave their sheaths. A pathetic excuse for a military."

Anonymous

Cassandra snorted – decidedly unladylike, yet so fitting for the occasion. She recognized the knight as a friend of her brother's – newly knighted, with the paint still wet on his shield. He wasn't much of a hero, indeed, he hadn't even wanted to become a knight, but it spoke volumes of his courage that he was the only one to have come up. Alibero's jeer at Serendipity's military did not faze Cassandra, and her soft answer was quite nonchalant. "We don't need a strong military." Serendipity was a cultural hearth, a center of learning. That aside, most of the people in Serendipity were magic-wielders, so being able to hit things with a stick wasn't really necessary. Nowadays most people joined the military if they didn't have magic or wished to further their skills and defend their country honorably.

The guards had taken a few steps back again, causing Cassie to sigh. Turning over to the Loru, she took another deep breath and wearily made her request. "Please leave. You've done enough damage, and have had your revenge. Let us get back to our suppers." The nobles in the room started nodding, and Cassandra had the sneaking suspicion that food had been on their mind the entire time, rather then the danger presented by the Vilv Lord Fifth Class. She wished she could have asked him her questions, but felt that now was neither the time nor place. Turning slightly, she paused, then asked one last query over her shoulder. "What is your name?"

Anonymous

Albireo nodded, and started to walk away. As the girl asked him his name, he turned, and said, "Albireo. Albireo Ulnas." He began to turn, and then turned back, and said, "You know...you were very brave. When the other noble would just look on, and cower, hoping that they weren't next, you were the only on with enough nerve to actually face me, and try and tell me off. I must say, that really means something." He turned around, again, and began walking to the door, and the guards piled around it fled, exchanging murmurs. "Now that he was finished, I have nothing to do. Maybe return to my...homeland..." He looked down, his tattoos suddenly glowing a dull red.

He looked up, anger on his face. He stormed into the room directly next to him, ignoring soldier's shouts of "No!" and "Don't go in there!" and such. He smashed open the door, and saw a large altar, and at the peak of the altar, was an orb. Albireo gasped, and tore the orb from the peak, ignoring the protests of the altar-keepers. "You batis! Stealing the national treasure of Kaeth'u! And to think, I may have left you in peace." He clutched the orb in his hand, clutching it more tightly, and continued. "I would have, had you not stolen the Orb of Kai'ith. Now, I will seek out the grave-robber who stole this. He will be punished."
====
Never want to let it stop! XD

Anonymous

Commotion sounded behind Cassandra, and with a groan she realized who it must be. Now what's happening? The young noble was sorely tempted to continue walking straight back to her seat, but the expectant faces of her fellows made her pause. Besides, who else had the bravery (as he had put it) to face Albireo. I should be happy to have even a bit of bread. Bread. With a start, Cassie realized that there was only one way to stop the Loru from doing more harm to the palace.

Armed with a loaf of fine wheat bread, Cassandra strode into the room that contained a shouting Albireo and several terrified altar-keepers. She imperiously tore a bit off for herself, and proceeded to whack Albireo once firmly on the shoulder. Waiting impatiently to swallow the bit she had torn off (after all, a well-bred lady did not talk with her mouth full), Cassie finally launched into what she knew would be the beginnings of another debate between the pair. And here I was thinking to end my evening on a peaceful note.

"Lord Albireo, that orb has resided in this palace for well over one hundred years." Many sorcerers and mages had tried to understand its secrets (if indeed it had any), and upon finding nothing of interest, had given the orb as a gift to the king a long time ago. "The perpetrator of this crime is probably long dead. It is no use going on a wild goose chase." Her father, Lord Welfred, had tried to track down the origins of the object, but his attempts had been in vain. It would be good to finally settle that mystery. Consuming another bit of bread, Cassie chewed thoughtfully as she considered the orb. Her father would be quite pleased if its secrets were finally unearthed, and would therefore be happy to hand it over to the irate Loru. Now all Cassie would have to do is ask the right questions, and then the two could finally go their separate ways.

"Might I ask why the Orb of Kai'ith means so much to you?" Cassandra understood that it might be Albireo's sole link to his past, and was quite willing to relinquish it once he answered her questions. Then she smiled – who am I to think I can stop him from doing what he pleases? Couldn't stop him last time, so what makes this any different? But Cassie knew the answer – this time nobody was in danger of dying. So all was relatively well.

Anonymous

He turned, as the woman, what was her name?, tapped him on the shoulder. He began to speak, as she asked the importance of the orb. "This orb, the Orb of Kai'ith is the source of the abilities of the Loru, Felix, and Vaetter. When the previous ruler dies, the next is chosen from the crown family using this very orb, and if there is no chosen ruler, they go to the noblity, and then proceed through the military. If there is no ruler there, they proceed further, to the merchants, farmers, and artisans, and if even then, in such a rare case that it has only happened once, they proceed to the servants." He looked to the altar sorcerors, and said, "They will never be able to use it. A human lacks the ability to use it. I however, the last of the Joint Races, am the sole user. Allow m to show you a taste of its powers."

He lifted it, and from deep inside, it began to glow, a ever changing color, from red to yellow to indigo to blue to green to black to white and stopping at red. At this, the air came alive with the scent of cinnamon, with a lighter scent of cumin. The orb went dark again, annd the scents faded. Albireo looked confused. That was not supposed to happen. If it had been soaked in the Divine Streams every seven years, then...He laughed. "You forgot to soak it. Such a necessary thing to do."

Anonymous

Cassandra listened to the orb's history with interest, memorizing the key facts to report to her father. She knew he would be even happier to have the orb, but Cassie knew Albireo would never go for it. He was as stubborn creature, prone to yelling first and asking questions later. The Vilv Lord then offered to show her the orb's powers, and Cassandra nodded politely. Hopefully this won't involve destroying the palace.

... And it didn't. In fact, the orb didn't do much of anything except emit some pleasant smells and change color. Cassie raised an eyebrow, a trick she learned from her mother. This was the mighty Orb of Kai'ith's powers? She opened her mouth to question the Loru, when he started laughing. "You forgot to soak it. Such a necessary thing to do." At this Cassandra could only stare at Albireo. The arrogance! Astonished, Cassie simply shook her head and answered him in her driest possible voice. "So sorry. I guess we must have missed that part in the manual." Rolling her eyes as only a noble can do, Cassandra continued on, though her voice was considerably less dry. "If it is indeed so necessary, perhaps you should get a move on? I mean, who knows what hundreds of years of not being soaked has done to the orb's obviously magnificent powers."

Cassie made no effort to hide her impatience – she could hear the laughter and clattering of utensils coming from the banquet hall, and yearned, for the first time in her young life, to be at the party. Food. Drink. Food.

Anonymous

Albireo nodded, and scowled at her. "Fine. Go back you your dinner. I will leave." He put his hands together, and began to chant. At once, the orb began to glow, letting of the scent of the forest. It glowed green, as did Albireo's tattoos. A thin haze grew around Albireo, and the scent of the forest was slowly overcome by the scent of water. A thin, transparent bubble formed around him, and then, he dissappeared, along with the scent, but the thin haze stayed, slowly dissipating into the air.

((All good things must end. I guess this is closed, unless you want to ask another person in))

hikaru.dream

Anonymous

ooc. Sure!

ic. He was gone. Cassandra was sure she had offended him with her mocking words, and did feel remorse. As to where he had poofed off to... well, that was none of her concern. "Farewell," Cassie murmured to herself. It had been an interesting experience, one that her father would probably wish the full details of. But now another challenge lay ahead, one that she believed would be considerably less exciting then facing down a Loru. I suppose I have to look on the bright side – now everybody knows who I am, and I won't be at loss for conversational topics.

Just as the lady was about to leave the altar room, a disgruntled-looking priest approached her, bowing slightly before launching into a decidedly boring lecture about how precious the orb was and how remarkably foolish she had been to try and stop the 'monster.' Just as he was about to begin afresh on her foolishness, Cassandra curtsied and strode out of the room. She wasn't angry at the man – no, she was afraid he would hear the unladylike growls emitting from her belly. Her silk slippers made no sound against the marble floor as she made her way back to her party. A call from the watch tower announced the time to be later than she had expected. Dessert is being served now, Cassandra thought with a pang. Ah well. She would just have to take what she could get, and then pray it would be enough to last through the dancing.

As she drew near the large banquet hall doors, a herald saw her and grinned. Two footmen opened the great doors as the herald announced, "Lady Cassandra Aalish." Cassie fought back the urge to roll her eyes, and instead nodded her head politely to the man. So much for a quiet entrance. Making her way down the rows of staring nobles, she noted with a sigh that dessert was indeed being served, and the main course was over. Cassandra nodded to her mother at the other end of the table, and received a respectful nod in return. Time to eat.

hikaru.dream

A blond haired girl captured a servant boy who happened to pass nearby and directed him to the lady Cassandra. With a plate full of now mostly cold cooking. She made sure to send him along when everyone was distracted by the lady's second entrance.
Her eyes twinkled; she was looking forward to how the lady would react to this. Despite that she had firmly directed the servant to attract as little attention as possible, it was rather hard not to notice the lady being served something quite different from the planned desert.
She didn't really mean to trouble the lady, but there was the chance there were no leftovers in the kitchens even if Lady Cassandra decided to go get her well deserved supper. So she had gathered some from each plate of the latter of the meal, and sent it along, much to the alarm of the gentleman beside her (who sincerely hoped that no one would guess where the plate came from).

Etona Rector had worked around in Serendipity for months, as a cook, an entertainer, a servant. She didn't mind working herself, but, she figured, it would be much nicer if she could get herself a nice sound rank to certify the money for her travels. Servants spread gossip around faster than anyone else; it hadn't been long before she had seized information of nobles who were rich, and even better, who wanted nieces. The first gentleman she had targeted was the very man beside her, a fine chap, and so far all had gone well. Etona didn't think she was doing something bad. Whoever took her in would not regret it, she made sure of that. The problem had just been that no one would not be pleased if she walked into their room and saying, "Hi, my name's Etona. I want you to fund my travels, and oh don't worry, you won't regret it."

Anyway, so here she was, dressed in a pale blue gown and acting like the perfect lady. She had been quite aware of why she was supposed to be here. She had been brought to the banquet with the intention of befriending the Lady Cassandra, and perhaps raising her new uncle's name.

Lady Cassandra Aalish. Born into the great Aalish fief, daughter of Lord Welfred and Lady Jannelle Aalish. Nineteen. Enjoys painting and sewing.

Sure, she knew of the lady well enough. Young noble girls longed to be like the courteous Cassandra. The lads wished to find themselves a partner like her. It was hard to not know of her.
But the Etona who had first stepped into the hall had been completely disinterested in the elder noble, and more focused on convincing the kind Baron Almus to keep her.
This had all changed when Lady Cassandra had stepped up when, when... what in the world would you call that? The creature vaguely reminded her of a werewolf who forgot how to change back to human, and resulted in a sort of half form. Etona had immediately created a disliking for the creature, and would have gone on talking with the Baron, only he had been distracted just like a normal person should. Now she had to put on the act of a frightened noble lady. Which made her dislike him even more. He was rude, noisy, and seemed to have no patience.
Etona heard every word of the conversation. She wondered who hadn't, it was so deathly quiet. The expert way Lady Cassandra dealt with the intruder impressed Etona greatly (and to the baron's relief) finally began to take interest in the noble. Enough to send a little magical spy after her as she left the hall, and enough to save a whole plate of food for her.

Etona smiled and daintily began on her desert. She would attempt to talk to the elder girl as soon as Lady Cassandra danced exactly two dances, after the great banquet.