Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Men, Pigs, Dogs [M]

Started by visualspice, November 08, 2015, 07:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Tags to @Morrighan !
I'm reusing some of the intro from Danning's other post, to help introduce him better and also to act as a reminder and reflective moment from where he had come from and why he is here.

Skies were scorched with the bellowing cries of men, their faces slick with the sweat and dirt of work, and their voices laced in blood. What had begun as a peaceful rally in the castle square outside the front of the Grand Duke's palace, in a far away land... in the North... in Connlaoth, turned into something wicked. It was a poison he could only preach against. And though his eyes burned with the pain of those suffering in this war, he could not stop what it had evolved into. Not after the Grand Army stepped in, their guns spitting fire into the crowds of many.

'Men are Fools. And I am but one of them. Yet I can only continue on the path in which ignites me.'

As the men screamed in agony, carrying on for an end, for peace, and for more blood....
He had to wonder...
'Oh, Angsar.... Forgive us all but we are men plagued with hatred so consuming its spread like a wildfire and plagued every inch of this blessed nation. And here we stand, to speak of peace, when all sides can do nothing but call out for war. I ask for you to forgive them, to help them see, that we are but men, not untamed beast. And that the illness of war be banished. For this to you, I fervently pray.'

He witnessed the horror first hand as the cannons of the army boomed into the crowd in Reajh. Blood and arms splattered across the square, breaking up cobblestone and bones.

"What are you doing!?" the priest's eyes were wild.  What was happening!? Why were the men attacking with war weapons when the people only protested with angered words, and a few- stones? "There are women! There are children!"
But the screams of soldiers and the cries of the fallen swallowed out the logic as the square was soon swollen in dust.

How many more canons would fire? How many more innocent would die? A bullet singed his shoulder, the closeness ringing in his ear as he let out a cry and gripped his shoulder as blood came warmly through his fingers. He nearly dropped the Book of the Word of Angsar from where he stood, bracing himself against his make shift pulpit. More canons were fired, and the ground shook, threatening to over turn him.

He couldn't believe this madness. He didn't want war. He wanted peace!

And despite the insanity that thundered around him, he got back up again onto his pulpit, words spitting from his mouth until he could no longer scream-

"WE ARE HERE FOR PEACE!" he bellowed. "WE DO NOT WANT THE BLOOD OF OUR MEN ANY LONGER! WE RALLY FOR PEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAACE! FOR PEACE IN THE NAME OF ANGSAR! IN THE NAME OF OUR PEOPLE! WE CALL OUT FOR NO MORE BLOOOOOOD!"

But perhaps it was all for nothing? Perhaps it was foolish to think that, even with a just avatar as Angsar, his own empire had been built on blood. War... it was a funny thing. A necessary evil, perhaps. But this evil... this war...
He lost sleep at night, tossng and turning over the very idea of it as his stomach burned him from the inside out. This was a war he knew even Angsar himself would condemn.

But he couldn't give up. He couldn't run away. And the sight of those who suffered carried him through the fray, that even long after the dust began to swell, his hoarse voice called out...

"Peace! We are here... here for PEACE!"

And it was the sound of boots crunching across the broken cobblestone that had him turned. And there he saw a group of soldiers look at him. They were angry, they were worn, and though they were armed with weapons, and he had nothing but 'Angsar's Bible' in his arm, he turned to them stlll, and used what voice he had left.

"It is never too late!" he croaked. "Peace must come to Connlaoth! Peace before the death of our brothers. Peace before the death of our sisters, our mothers and our wives. Our children! Peace before.." he went on shakily, weak. "Before we make our own nation fall! And Angsar's heaven turns to Hell."

And he wondered if the men had pitied him, staring at him as he was half draped over his pulpit, as they simply walked by.  By then, the square had emptied...
and what was left in the dust were the simple soldiers to clean up the mess that a rally of peace had erupted.

But his story hardly ended here. In fact....

This was only the beginning. For though the day had come and gone and more riots begun to errupt soon after, he retired to his lakeside home near the Matron. And from his porch at night, he watched the moon waver against restless waters. Clouds were moving in, but they did not snuff out the stars, the stars in which he looked upon, to stars to which he prayed.

He had gone out to his porch, the soft chirp of crickets, though calming, only reminded him of the calm before a storm. And even through it, he heard the foot falls approach. But he did nothing. The candle along the railing had nearly gone out by now. But he didn't think it would matter to replace it. And when the foot falls stopped, he tensed, but did not turn around and kept his eyes upon the lake.

"Father Danning Gates?" came a gruff voice from the darkness.

For a quiet moment, the priest enjoyed the tranquility of the Matron lake, and how the stars danced across its surface. It was peaceful, but it was just a reflection. The real peace was in the stars above. And he had to wonder when that peace would come to earth. Or were all men doomed by the damnation of anger that tainted their blood?

"Yes? I am Father Gates." he replied. And those would be the last words he'd speak in a good long while.

----------

A lethargic, creaking moan lulled him awake, into a world where everything, even his vision, hurt. And when the same creak came again, he felt himself being rocked in a new direction. There was something cold, and what sounded like a metal rattle, though in the same breath, it also had a sweet chiming ring to it. But it was when something tickled his arm did he jerk around to see...
A rat! A rat on his arm! He let out a cry, and jerked even more, despite the protests of his body, and the apparent, heavy metal chains that bound him, upside down int he hall of the boat...
With a hundred other men and women bound like himself.

His eyes were wild, and he moved futilely against his chains, as he simply swung back and forth at his own avail- and at the mercy of the slow rocking of the ship. And though he spent countless days.. weeks in the hull....
The worst part of these days where to watch the sufferings of men.

He didn't know when the boat had stopped rocking, or when there was the call of birds at the bank their ship had now perched. But when light flooded down into the room, those weary men in chains who remained alive could only lift their heads blindly, as they were released from where they hung, and whipped to walk, even though most were too weak to even stand.

Outside the boat the sun burned hotter than he'd ever known, and the world glowed yellow, an ironic contrast to what he pictured might be hell. There were trees with throngs and strange birds with long legs, and as he stumbled across the gang plank onto land....
Despite the thick grasses...
There was sand. Sand all around.

----

He closed his eyes at the memories that brought him here- and that fateful day he was tossed into the arena, sentenced to die after surviving so long a treacherous journey at sea. But it seemed, in some strange way, his prayers to live, to carry on the peace giving words of Ansgar, would save him. But he had to wonder where this would all lead- for this was a world in the sun, so far away from his land shaped by winds.

Perhaps he should be thankful he hadn't died, but those who had captured him were giddy and greedy for the coin they could fetch from such a man. He was unarmed but somehow survived in the arena, protesting in his own native tongue, while the rest of the world laughed in their's.

Perhaps that was why no one had bothered to purchase him- he was seen as the crow that never ceased, for all day he had cried out, voicing his thoughts on peace and tryign to gather what he could of the language- but would it be in vain? It seemed no matter what words he tried, foreign or not, he was laughed at- and whipped and flogged until he was shaking and spitting out blood. And the burns around his neck and wrist began to break open again- the raw flesh as horrid as the burned flesh he had gotten from the sun and sand. But this day in the busy streets of Essyrn was hardly over- and the only thing that had silenced Danning was when he was forced to drink an elixir that had him swaying and collapsing against his own volition.

It was only when the elixir began to fade away did he blink and a figure of a tall woman with dark skin stood before him, looking down at him as if he were some chop of meat.

"He looks like a burned pig," she commented, tilting her head calmly to one side. "But..." she sighed, staring down into his face. "Those eyes are raw... jewels of blue. And he looks strong enough. Surely his survival in the arena will make him pricey... but do you know what this foreigner can do?" The woman asked, and gestured to one of her men to begin their inspection.

Danning had been seated, but a quick tug to the chain round his neck forced him to his feet, and he let out a grunt of pain through bared teeth. He swayed a little, but two guards kept him upright, while his meager skirts were lifted as the woman began to inspect his goods.

"I guess he was left in tact for breeding?" she went on, gesturing for the men to drop the skirts and to bring him closer as she gave a gesture of her wrist. He was dragged forward, and he found his chin being pinched between the woman's hard finger nails.

She had orange eyes. He had never seen orange eyes.

"How much?" she asked. "To have him cleaned and delivered?"

"For you, Lady Kahalla? No less than three thousand gold I'm afraid."

The woman stiffened.

"Do you really think this scrappy pig would sell in the thousands?"

"I've already go some bids today. You... ought to place yours. We're eager to sell him. That is.. if you're interested. Three thousand or he goes to Lord Brau."

"Lord Brau?" Lady Kahalla wrinkled her nose and sighed. "I suppose I'll put my bid at three thousand." And she looked to the man." But nothing more. If someone wants to waste more gold, let them have him. Not sure I'd want him to breed with my stock... but.. I suppose foreigners have their own unsightly charm."

With asnap, her men returned to her side.

"I'll return before hte sun sets to see if this jewel is mine."

And all Danning could do, was find himself staring back at the woman's retreating form, his tongue still swollen from the elixir, but he began to feel the prickling, tickling awakening of his limbs just as he was thrown towards a trough of watera nd commanded, "DRINK!"

Though no animal by any means, he was parched beyond belief. THankful they at least let him drink anything, he dunked his head into the water, and began to lap at it like a thirsty dog.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Wild

A young girl who had recently reached marrying age entered the marketplace where the slaves were being bought and sold. Her body was slender built and she was of average height. Even if she was young she already was a great beauty.

Her long, dark hair was arranged in an advanced hairdo that spoke of her noble birth and the wealth of her parents. Her clothes were made of exquisite materials, embroidered with gold threads and decorated with jewels.  Her heart-shaped face was pale and beautifully shaped, her soft lips trembling as she made her way towards the slaves.

But the most remarkable with her was her eyes: almond-shaped and warm brown of color, surrounded by long, dark eyelashes. Her eyes held a mild and gentle expression, revealing a high intelligence and a warm and caring nature.

She watched with pity in her eyes at the suffering in the eyes of the poor slaves - and for a moment she felt that she and they had something in common. They were both in situations they could not escape, they were slaves and she...

I am bound to Rasul Syron for the rest of my life....

Her own life was not much better than slavery. She almost wished for a silent moment that she could have taken the place of the slave who right now was checked out by a tall woman with dark skin, and who moments later was thrown towards a through of water and ordered to drink. Her eyes brimmed with tears of compassion for a moment - her heart aching for the suffering man. Her warmhearted nature forbid her to watch this treatment.

Money was no problem for her, as she had always belonged to a wealthy family. Yet she hoped that her youth and beauty would melt the slave owner to give her some discount when she bought the poor man. She waited until the tall woman had walked away, did not wish to get into an argument with her - especially not over a slave.  Taking a step forward she turned humbly towards the men who seemed to be in charge of the male slave.

"Excuse me," she said humbly. "What price must I pay for this man? Must I pay the same as Lady Kahalla? Or do you have a special price for me?"

She knew that she might get lucky while asking these questions. The Bathory family, her family, was well known in Essyrn, her father had bought several of his slaves in this place.

visualspice

At first, the seller was aghast any would ask such a price.
"Lady," he looked her over. "Before I can settle on a price.." he went on, weasly but charming. "To whom do I have the pleasure of doing business with?"

At their talk, the slave who had been lapping up the water peered over at the pair, water dribbling down his face, and matting his blonde hair against his frame, and also it dribbling down and had the front of his opened shirt stick to his chest- which the sunburned blistered could be easily seen on his muscles- as well as the gritty sands that clung to his form.

Although he said nothing, something about this woman's eyes made him release a trembling sigh, before suddenly he doubled over- and vomited blood and bile onto the ground.

The seller was taken back and began to shout incessant words from a blistering mad tongue as he drew out his whip and hesitated not to give the damn slave a few good strikes. Involuntarily, the slave jerked back, crying out in pain before doubling over and shaking with sweat, fatigue and of course, pain.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Wild

Flavia looked innocently up at the seller when he asked her whom he had the pleasure of doing business with. Her cheeks were blushing with shyness, but for the wellfare of this poor man she had to be brave.

"My name is Lady Flavia Bathory-Syron," she introduced herself, remembering that she also carried her husband's last name now that she was just married.  "My father is Count Bathory of Essyrn, and my husband is Lord Rasul Syron. I believe my father may be one of your customers?"

Through the corner of her eyes she could see the slave who had been lapping up the water peering over at her. Water dribbled down his face, and the sunburned blisters made her heart bleed for him. The poor man - why didn't anyone do anything to help him?

Well, she was here now, and if it was up to her he would soon be a free man....

She had not finished the thought before the man doubled over and vomited blood and bile onto the ground. Flavia wondered what the dark woman who had been here a minute ago would say if she had seen it. Would she have reacted with the same compassion as Flavia now did?

When the seller started shouting incessant words and driving out his whip, Flavia lifted a slender hand. "Please, don't hurt him," she pleaded. "The poor man is sick - it's not his fault. Let me take care of him. I can nurse him back to health. Nursing of the sick was among my favorite subjects in school..."

Now that the seller had revealed that one of his goods - the male slave, was defected, she turned her gaze towards him once more. Lord Bathory was a personal friend of the King - a word from him would be enough for the man to be denied to set foot in Essyrn again - and then he would miss the wealthy customers who lived here....

"But to return to my question," she repeated in a soft voice with the patience of an angel. "How much do you want for this man?"

visualspice

The seller did not like how this little scenario is going.
"Why would you father care for you to buy such a thing? I could not possibly allow my reputation to be on the line for you to purchase such.. defective goods." He snapped the whip back into his fist and looked at her hard, and business like.

However, he knew the sway women had on folks- It had, after all, been the supposed downfall of the former Shah and ruler of Essyrn.

"How about I pay you to tend to him, if you so care. But no more than three days grace. This man is a good to be sold- and we paid much gold to see him ferried all the way from Connlaoth."
The man's grin broadened, toothily so and he used the whip to press harshly under Danning's chin so he had to look at the woman before them.

"He will be obedient, but whiny, like a dog. You saw how he drank... How about we say.. twenty gold for your time?" And hte man went to fetch his coin purse.

Wild

Flavia looked up at the seller, listening to his words about defective goods. Her heart ached for the poor slaves, not wishing this kind of life for any of them. If she could, she would have bought each and every one of them, attempting to give them back their freedom. But she knew the slave catchers would capture them again as soon as she was out of the picture.

No, the best thing she could do was to place her money on this poor man, who so clearly seemed to be ill.

"My father likes a good bargain just like anyone else," she replied, trying to dazzle the man with one of her charming smiles. "If the... goods... as you say, are defective, there may perhaps be a chance for me to buy him for a small reduction in the price? My father is trying to teach me how to make a good bargain, and he always say that money saved are money earned. But I shouldn't say such things to an experienced seller as you. Your reputation is well known. I have nothing but kind words to tell the King about you when I see him this afternoon..."

She hoped a little flattery of his ego would improve his mood, making him more willing to sell the slave to her. And if a little of her charm could ease his mood, perhaps this poor man could be saved from a round of severe flogging?

Her smile broadened when the seller said this man was a good to be sold. "Well, then, if he is to be sold, I see no reason why I can't buy him," she said. "I have money to pay with, solid gold and all. I have the means and knowledge to tend to him until he gets well, and I am in need of a new servant for our household. Wouldn't you say that is a good investment of time and money, my good man? Instead of having to give your well earned money to me, I can give my money to you. You get your pockets filled with gold, I get a new slave, and then we are both happy."

She tilted her head to look at Danning when the seller spoke of him being obedient, but whiny like a dog. She thought with herself that it had to depend on how he was treated, but she dared not discuss this with the seller in fear that he might cancel the deal without letting her buy the slave.

visualspice

It wasn't until then did Danning speak, choking on his words that they were almost spat out.

"I.. I am no good to be sold!" Did he sound as pathetic as he felt. He began to shake, rising up on one knee. "I was stolen from my home- taken here and-"

"That's enough!" And the seller hesitated not to back hand Danning as the slave yelped and stumbled onto the sands, and proceeded to cough out more blood. The seller growled and tightened his hands into fists, but tried to keep his cool as he looked over at Flavia.

"See? Do you see what you might buy? This dog will need lots of floggin, not tenderness." He moved to grab Danning by the scruff of his neck, pony tale and all, and the man helped to be held as such. He gave Danning a shake.

"Slaves are not people, why show compassion? They are below us- workers, owned goods."

But even being treated as such and as weak as he was, Danning shook again, words bubbling from his throat.

"I... I am NOT for sale."

The damn slave had to pick up THAT much in Essyrnian. Damn the other slaves that had learned it to. He gave Danning a shake, his other hand around his throat.

"STay quiet- I'm trying to make a sale." ANd he glared over at Flavia, his patience waning.

"How about you pay what Lady Kahalla would have paid and we'll call it a fair trade. Three thousand gold, nothing more- nothing less." He gave Danning a shake, a strong hand moving to grip his face, squsihing in his cheeks nad forcing him to look at Flavia.

Danning's eyes were wild at the handling, and though he wanted to protest, to further speak out against this-
His throat was constricted well by the seller's other hand that held him well off the ground, so that his bare feet were not touching the gritty sands.

"So.. how about it? He might be pretty with these blue eyes after you clean him up. Sick or not, you said you can handle that... So the price wouldn't make sense to lower... and actually, this is a bargain. Lady Kahalla...... You know what this might mean if I go against her initial request."

Wild

Flavia watched the poor man with pity in her eyes when he tried to tell her that he was no good to be sold. She tried to send him a message with the way she looked at him, that she was not a regular slave owner, that she only wanted to get him away from the slave traders. She could only hope that he was intelligent enough to see the glance she threw him and understand.

His words about being stolen from his home made her feel even more sad for him. That poor man. She already wondered how she could save him from these horrible slave dealers and bring him back to freedom.

She tried to keep a calm face expression when the seller spoke of the dog needing lots of flogging. She had problems seeing how that would make the man behave better, but she was wise enough not to bring that up with the seller.

She also knew better than to argue with the seller about slaves and human rights. Since when had a seller listened to a young woman? So she remained silent, and the words that burned on the tip of her tongue remained unspoken. At least until she saw the seller giving Danning a shake.

"Hey, be careful," she said gently. "If he is further damaged he will lose his value on the market. You know how strict the King is with this, don't you?"

She smiled when he suggested what Lady Kahalla would have paid - three thousand gold. It was a large sum of money, but if it could buy this poor, sick man his freedom it was a small price to pay.

"Very well then," she sighed and found the money from her bag, placing them in front of the seller so he could see for himself that she did not try to trick him. Here are your three thousand gold. I want a receipt for my purchase, but you know this already."

When she had paid the price and sorted out the paperwork for her purchase, she turned around to face Danning. Pretending to check to his illness, she leaned down and whispered in his ear.

"You are not safe here," she whispered. "They will force you back into slavery again if you stay. Come with me, please. I know a place where you will be safe from abuse and where your wounds will be taken care of."

visualspice

He wasn't sure exactly what happened- but it was strange, though not unwelcome, to see her expression, the kindness in her face, in her words...
His lips trembled, and he bowed his head.

She had paid for him- so despite what he believed- for now...
No matter how this fate was played out..
He was her property int he eyes of all of Essyrn.

"Shall I help deliver him for you? His legs are a bit weak, as you can see. Shame. I think the sea did a number on him. Though not all slaves can claim they could survive such a journey.." the seller went on.

But at such a claim, Danning felt him shake and attempt to move, groping for anything to help him stand.

"No."

The seller was taken back.

"No.." Danning repeated. "I... I will walk."
And after a few labored tries, he stood as erect as he could, breathing heavy as his blue eyes sought those of the woman-
The only one he had seen and felt could offer hope.

Wild

She saw the man's face expression, her heart bleeding by seeing how abused he was. It felt strange for once to be the one having to care for the bruises of others. Normally she was the one in the receiving end of a whip or a clenched fist. Was it so strange then - that she felt she had something in common with this poor, unfortunate man?

Luckily he seemed intelligent enough to understand she was trying to help him. She saw his lips trembling before he bowed his head.

Poor man, she thought. I have to find a way to help him back to his family again. I only hope he won't get recaptured by slave-traders. Though if anyone tries, I could equip him with a letter of freedom....

For now she had to play a role, making all of Essyrn believe she was going to bring this man home as her slave. If she didn't play this part, she might risk that they forced him to stay behind - without her protection. And she didn't want to know what could happen to him then.

She smiled towards the seller when he offered to deliver him for her. She could see for herself that the man was ill, but she had faith in her lessons in medicine. Hopefully she could find some way to cure him. If she had been a man, she would have been a doctor by now. But she was a woman - and women were not allowed to have higher education - even if some of them, like Flavia, were talented and would make excellent doctors.

"Thank you," she said meekly when she saw Danning's silent protest against letting the seller carry him away. "But I think he and I may be able to get home by ourselves. I do not live far from here."

She was glad she had taken time to stop at the market shops before entering here. In her bags she had food and a couple skins of water, and also a bottle of something stronger for medical use. Perhaps she would need this bottle sooner than she had thought.

She stood patiently and waited while the man tried to get back on his feet. His blue eyes sought hers, and she looked up at him and smiled, a silent reassurement that nothing bad would happen to him while he was under her care.

"If you feel ready for a brief walk," she told him gently, "we are only 50 steps away from my Mansion. You can lean on my shoulder for support if you need to. Come, let's get out of here..."

visualspice

"Wait!" The seller stumbled in front of them.
"Before you go.. I forgot.. the slave, he will need a good wash."

Wild

Flavia smiled and looked up at the seller, nodding briefly. The friendly smile never left her face, as she had a feeling it wouldn't do her any good being rude. Especially not now, when this poor man's life depended on her actions. Her thoughts, however, would not stay silent, even though she never let the words pass her lips.

What a remarkably observation....

"Thank you, my good man," she replied gently. "I will make sure to give him a bath when we come home. As I mentioned before, I do not live far away from here..."

visualspice

"None sense!" the man laughed. "It's a common courtesy that a seller never let's his stock leave his market so... soiled."

Danning grit his teeth, trembling and wanting to say something, say anything but it seemed his former 'master' was intent to keep this at a stand still.

"Please.. my lady..." the seller bowed. "I'll even let you .. watch. To ensure your goods are well washed before you can take them home"

Wild

Flavia sighed and looked over at the poor slave with regret in her gaze when it didn't look like they would get rid of the seller unless he got to give him a bath.

"I'm sorry," she whispered to Danning. "It seems we won't get rid of him unless we do as he say. I wish I could have spared you for this..."

"Very well then," she sighed, hoping that Danning would forgive her for being unable to get rid of the seller. "But make it quick. My husband will soon return from his job and he will not be happy if I am not home when he arrives. I was hoping to end this trade in due time to tend to my other chores before his arrival...."

She shuddered inwardly when the seller offered to let her watch as he bathed the slave. She did not wish to see a strange man naked. But on the other side, what would they do to him if she refused? Would they give him a last whipping as a goodbye present?

She sent Danning an apologetic gaze, wishing she could have spared him for this humiliation. But at least her presence would stop them from abusing him further. And surely he would feel a bit better that she didn't look at him with lust like the other woman had done?

visualspice

It was degrading but he had no choice. Stripped of his clothes, any hidden lashes and burns were revealed and he was shoved into a human stable. Water was thrown at him, so was the soap, before the man roughly scrubbed Danning down. He was none too gentle, especially over his burns and scabs and then to the nethers.. The slave was near in tears. Finally it was over and a stumbling Danning was reclothed and presented to her, a new collar and leash around his throat.

Wild

Flavia's heart bled for the poor man as he was stripped of his clothes. She tried lessening the humiliation he must have felt by trying to turn her face away, keeping watch with her ears to make sure nobody whipped him or abused him during his bath. She was ready to intervene if a whimper from him revealed that he was treated too roughly.

Still, she had managed to catch a glimpse of his hidden lashes and burns before she turned her gaze away, and she had to force back a whimper of compassion. The poor man - what could she do to help him? And how could she offer help without humiliating him further?

Finally the sounds around her revealed that the slave was done with his bath. Only when he was dressed and returned to her did she look up. When she for a moment met the poor man's eyes, her own brown orbs brimmed with tears of compassion, her gaze silently pleading forgiveness for having to put him through this kind of unworthy treatment. Had she refused she suspected they would never get rid of the seller.

I am so sorry for having to put you through this, she thought. Please forgive me....

She had to force a smile towards the seller when he delivered the man, her face paling by the sight of the collar and leash. How anyone could treat another human being this way was beyond her.

"Thank you," she said in a toneless voice. "And now, if you excuse me, I really have to return back home. My husband will kill me and anyone else responsible if his dinner is not ready upon his arrival from work...."

She turned towards the poor slave with tears burning in her eyes, knowing that she could not hold back her tears for very much longer. She hoped he understood, and that they would be able to get away from here before she had a complete breakdown. Even she had her limits for how much evil she could see in one day.

"Come," she said briefly, struggling to stay strong in front of these cruel sellers of human lives. "Let's go home..."

I don't know for how much longer I can keep the facade...

visualspice

What little choice did he have? The bathing, although somewhat cruel, at least awakened him from whatever they had used to subdue him. Though this time, he had the strength to speak...
He had the respect not to.

He saw how things worked around here,a nd he hung his head down- though more respectfully than out of subordination. He waited until they were further away before managing to groan out on a scratchy breath that was in broken Essyrnian, "Thank you."

Though he hoped she might speak more common. She seemed more educated than most- however, it seemed a lot of people in the desert preferred to use their own language rather than the common tongue used up north.

Wild

Flavia's heart still bleed for the poor man beside her as she silently started walking, trying to get herself and the man as far away from the slave traders as she possibly could. As she led the way towards her Mansion, she heard the man groaning out on a scratchy breath a "thank you" in broken Essyrnian.

His broken language and his blue eyes revealed he was not from Essyrn. If he had been, she doubted he would have been treated like this. This kind of treatment were usually kept for slaves, though Flavia herself did not condone it. At this stage of her life she felt compassion with the poor humans forced to live such lives, and secretly she did anything in her power to help them. In return the poor humans had taught her their languages, and the common tongue used up north happened to be among them.

A soft smile lit up her face as she looked up at the man. "You are welcome," she said in the common tongue, the language most used among her father's slaves.

After a brief walk, she led him towards a stately Mansion surrounded by a beautiful garden. This was the Mansion her parents had given her and Rasul as their wedding gift. The gate was opened when she arrived, and she led the poor man she had rescued inside, and brought him to the main house. There she opened the door, and led him to one of the guest rooms of the house.

"Welcome to my home," she told him in the common tongue as she gently removed the collar and leash. "I am Lady Flavia Bathory-Syron. I refuse to call you slave or You there when I speak to you, so I ask you right away - what is your name?"

She was still visibly upset after the beastly way she had seen him been treated at the market, tears still shimmered in her eyes. "I - I couldn't help noticing that you are injured..." she continued. "Will you allow me to take care of your wounds? It is true what I told the seller, I have been trained to tend to wounds and care for the sick. I went to a school of Medicine in my school days, and I was the star student, even if I never can be a doctor because I am a girl. I also need to know if you have have other sicknesses. How do you feel?"

Her eyes looked up at him when she spoke, hoping he understood she did not see him as a slave. She would not treat him as cruel as she had seen the seller do, nor could she bring herself to treat him as a piece of meat like the other Lady at the market.

visualspice

Blue eyes returned her caring gaze with a warmed hunger. How long had it been since he'd seen real compassion? He studied her features, realizing, through the way she spoke- the way she looked- Was she not a native? Those of the desert had such dark or golden skin- but she was fair- nearly as fair as he. Though he had heard the aristocrats sometimes kept themselves beneath parasols to protect themselves from the sun.

Either way, she seemed well guarded from other means as well- one of them being the entirety of the culture.

He realized he had been staring and with a blush, humbly lowered his head.

"Danning.... " He lifted his gaze to her again, those blue eyes so striking. "I'm from the North- Connlaoth."

He peered down at his skin,t he wounds.. the burns...
"I... knew.. some medicine myself. If you wish of it, I could tend to myself."
THough the wounds on his back.. obviously he couldn't reach-a nd those..
Those were the worst.

Wild

(OoC: I have forgotten to show you, but this is a picture of Flavia, so you know what she looks like: http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/11600000/The-Brothers-Grimm-the-brothers-grimm-movie-11648338-1024-768.jpg )

Flavia's brown orbs looked up at the tall, blonde man with the striking blue eyes who stood tall and muscular in front of her. There was no malice in her eyes, no need to own him and no plans to use him as a slave or belittle him for what he had been through. All she felt was a warm compassion, a need to help him after all the things he undoubtedly must have been through.

She could not deny that he was a very handsome man in spite of the blisters, the sunburn and his wounds, but it would be wrong of her to take advantage of him. If a man wanted to be with her, he would have to come to her willingly, because he wanted her or needed her. Flavia could never bring herself to force someone into sleeping with her, especially after all the nights she herself had been taken by force by her husband.

She saw him gazing at her, and she enjoyed to see the sparks in those sparkling blue eyes. He had such beautiful eyes, and the golden hair had the color of the sun. She had never met anyone like him. All the people of Essyrn were dark in colors. Her own skin was fair as she had always been kept away from the sun. Her mother said noble women should have fair skin, and mother was always right. When she did go outside, she always brought with her a parasol, to protect her pale skin.

Living as protected as she had, she didn't know much of the entirety of the culture. What she knew she had learned from her schools, from the teachers her father had hired for her, and from the numerous slaves of his Mansion in her childhood.

She noticed his fair skin blushing as he lowered his head, a trait she found rather adorable. But she did not say anything to discourage him from looking at her. She preferred to talk to those she spoke with face to face. A slow smile filled her face, reaching her eyes when he introduced himself.

"Danning... I like that name," she said. "It is pretty."

Just like you are....

She didn't say out loud what she was thinking, didn't want him to think she was a man-eater like the other woman at the marketplace had seemed to be. And she didn't want him to believe she was planning to take advantage of him. Instead she smiled when he spoke of the North-Connlaoth.

"Ah, one of my father's servants was from North-Connlaoth," she replied. "He and I were friends, and he taught me your language. I am sorry if my pronunciation is a bit faltered though. It's been a while since last I spoke your native tongue."

She saw the wounds at his hands, the burns. Then she opened one of her bags and started taking out the herbs and the boxes of ointments she had bought at the marketplace today. From the bathroom connected to this guest room she fetched a bowl of water, placing it on the table in the guest room. She also retrieved a couple towels and some cloth that could be used for bandages.

"If you like I can help you with your wounds," she offered gently. "I promise I will be gentle, and the one who taught me to tend to wounds was a professional doctor."

She looked down, allowing him to take off his shirt without prying eyes if he wanted her to tend to his wounds.