Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Master Plan, Meet the Canary Crew [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 06, 2018, 05:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

The thief did know the way to the center of the island. He was pretty familiar with most areas in Yoreiq, so he had that going for him at least.

"Sure. We would need to head east from here," he started, feeling the direction of the wind on his face and giving a quick scan through the trees. "Which is that way."

He pointed in the opposite direction from which they had come.

DragonSong

"East it is, then." Setting her shoulders back, she gave him her bet effort at a confident smile and jerked her head. "Right then. Let's be off."

She started into the trees, eyes still wary and jaw a little too tense.

Lowen Thorn

He nodded reluctantly and followed. He really liked that spot. He had it in his mind that it would be their spot. Maybe when all of this was over, he thought, and then he thought if "all of this" was ever a thing that ended.

"I must really love you," he teased as he followed her into the trees. "Cause I'll follow you wherever you go."

DragonSong

Rose winced, feeling those words cut through her as surely as any blade. She tried not to let him see though, glancing back over her shoulder with a lopsided smile.

"I believe that just means you're whipped, darling," she teased lightly.

Lowen Thorn

"There's no question about that," he replied happily, hurrying his stride until he was directly behind her. He placed his hands on her shoulders as they walked for a moment, as if to guide her through the trees.

DragonSong

She chuckled and paused for a moment so she could twist around and press a kiss to his cheek. Then she kept walking, asking with another soft laugh, "Do you wanna just lead? You're sort of steering me as it is."

Lowen Thorn

"The view is better from back here," he teased before moving alongside her. His hand brushed against the back of hers and he was soon walking in front of her. "But sure. I'll lead."

His smile was cunning when he peered over his shoulder at the woman, and he was soon moving through the trees at a faster pace. They would need to pick up their speed if they wanted to get settled in a new spot before the end of the night.

DragonSong

Rose just rolled her eyes at him and swatted his shoulder as he passed to walk in front of her.

He knew the jungles of this island better than she figured she ever would, and she was more than happy to let him take the lead. She quickened her pace when he did, settling into a familiar rhythm: running away.

Lowen Thorn

Getting to the center of the island before nightfall would have been impossible, but with his knowledge of the landscapes he was able to get them well at least well on their way. "We may have to set up camp soon," he said after some time as the light began to fade below the trees. "This should be a good of spot as any."

It was exactly the center of the island, but it was close. They would have had to walk another hour or two to be well and truly surrounded. Instead, they were in the woods, well-hidden, as they often found themselves now, with nothing in sight but grass, dirt, and tall trees that nearly shielded the stars.

DragonSong

Rose looked around with a shrug and a small nod. "Alright. Well, guess we'd better get cozy then." She smiled and nudged Dinny's arm lightly with hers, allowing her pack to slide down off her other arm so she could get started on setting up a reasonable campsite.

Lowen Thorn

He agreed by letting out a soft exhale and dropping his bag. "Yes dear." He began unfolding their supplies. It was almost dark enough to make setting up camp a pain in his ass, but the thief was used to operating in the shadows and this tedious task was no different.

He'd just as happily sleep in the dirt next to her than on a travel cot or inside a tent, but he didn't want to assume she would if she didn't have to - despite everywhere they have slept. The cave came to mind specifically.

Oh, the cave. Great times in the cave. He often thought about that cave, and what they did in that cave. He usually went back to it whenever moments alone with Rose began to shift intimate, which was quite often, and his mind was occupied enough with the thought that he had nearly set up their sleeping arrangements.

He straightened out and shot Rose a small smile. It was his attempt to prevent her noticing his wet fantasy, but the bulge in his pants was a dead giveaway.

DragonSong

Between the two of them, setting up a serviceable camp went by rather quickly, and soon enough Rose felt, if not confident, at least comfortable enough that they would be safe for the night.

She glanced over at Dinny with a smile when he straightened up, having felt his eyes on her as she lit a small fire and finished arrange rocks in a circle to keep in contained. The bard was certainly no stranger to those looks--particularly from Dinny himself--so it wasn't exactly a leap to figure out what he was thinking.

She arched an eyebrow, lips quirking toward one side. "You're incorrigible, d'you know that?"

MorningStar

He flashed a sheepish grin, his eyes reflecting a plea for forgiveness as he instinctively raised his hands in a defensive gesture. "I know," he agreed.

Allowing the moment to linger, he took a pause to reflect on the whirlwind of events. It became apparent that someone was targeting the woman he loved. Despite any protests she might make, he was determined not to let any harm befall her, even if it meant putting himself in harm's way.

"Honestly, Rose, how much longer can we keep running?"

DragonSong

She sighed and dug the heels of her palms into her eyes for a moment.

"...I don't know," she whispered. "I honestly don't. But...what else can we do, Dinny?"

MorningStar

A wearied exhale escaped him. The Dinny she had grown accustomed to, the carefree and endearing individual, seemed to have vanished temporarily, replaced by a man bearing a grave demeanor and genuine concern.

Descending to one knee before her, he gently clasped her hands in his, his eyes searching hers for a meaningful connection. "We can't run forever, Rose," he murmured tenderly. "But I can buy you some time."

DragonSong

She shook her head slowly, but the gesture seemed more habitual than anything else. "I have contacts," she sighed. knew things"People who can look into it, but... Din, he knew things. About me, about my parents, it-- I..."

She exhaled slowly and shook her head again. This was everything she'd been afraid of since she'd first reached out to one of her father's old employers for a contract.

MorningStar

His eyes lingered on her, a mix of love and concern evident. "What exactly does he know?" he inquired. "What does that mean for us, exactly?"

Dinny's heart wrenched, feeling powerless to help her escape this awful situation.

DragonSong

Rose met his eyes, and it occurred to her that she'd never actually explained. She'd given him the bare facts, just enough so he knew why they were running, why she was afraid, but...

"My father used to do this," she whispered, and unconsciously found herself reaching for his hands. "Used to do...what I do. Kill people. Not an assassin, not really, he was a...a mercenary. But not a guard, or an extra man in a phalanx, he was...a hit man, I guess. And it--he was good at it." She swallowed. "He kept me and Mum out of it, as much as he could. But that kind of job, it makes people angry. It makes people seek vengeance."

She closed her eyes, focusing on her breath. "When I came home that day--when I found them--" Her throat tightened. She took another breath, then pushed through. "No one else ever came after me. And they should have--they way Mum and Da were k-killed...I found out later it was specific. A signature, from a mercenary band based out of Zantaric. And they don't leave survivors."

She forced herself to meet Dinny's eyes again. "I don't know how they found out about me. It's been almost ten years. But I'm a loose end to them--they went for Sorren's family, and they missed one. I'm a mark on their record."

MorningStar

Din's heart plummeted into the depths of his stomach. The usual cool, collected Rose was replaced by a side he had never witnessed, and it sent shivers down his spine. She was gripped by fear, a fear so primal it harkened back to childhood, an unease in the face of darkness.

Simultaneously, a fiery rage ignited within him. Witnessing the person he cherished the most reduced to a state of terror fueled an inferno of fury in his chest. His jaw tightened, fists clenched, and thoughts of safeguarding her by any means consumed his mind.

Nevertheless, he maintained a steadfast gaze on her.

"Alright," he uttered deliberately, as he sorted through his thoughts. "We either keep running or stand our ground. I won't allow anything to happen to you. Nothing."

DragonSong

"I don't want to run forever." She squeezed his hands tightly. "But we don't--we don't have enough information. I know the organization that--that ordered the hit, but this man...it sounded like it was him. He was the one who did it. So they sent him after me, for... I don't know. Either because he didn't finish the job properly the first time, or he undertook it himself. A pride thing."

Professional killers could be like that. She should know.

She sighed and curved forward a bit, letting her brow rest on his shoulder. "We can't let him catch us unawares again. But he won't stop until either I'm dead...or he is."