Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lurking in the shadows

Started by Nahashsan, January 31, 2024, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahashsan

The hulking form of a beast man crouched in the shadows of some bushes at the top of a small cliff overlooking a winding road down below. The road loosely followed the river ora and was frequented by traders and guards. It was a risky hunting spot but that was part of the fun.

Leland ran a large claw tip hand through his russet colored mane. Across his lap was his trusty sword from which he drew his nickname firesword. It was hurry up and wait, and he was growing bored as morning gave way to afternoon.

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin whistled as he walked down the road. It was more active than he remembered, and he sighed, hefting his sheathed sword and settling it back in his belt. He was just happy to finally be out of his stuffy palace. Finally free. He smiled to himself. His expensive cloak was styled in the latest fashion, and he had too much jewelry on for someone that was merely traveling.
He figured he'd stop at the nearest inn and rest, maybe get a drink.
Little did he know the danger that was up ahead...

Nahashsan

Leland watched as what looked to be a rich dark elf came down the road. He thought this had to be a trap. No one was ignorant enough to travel with that much wealth without guardsmen.

He hesitated for a moment before pouncing. Sliding down the cliff he landed lightly on his feet in front of the elf. Flames enveloped the blade of his great two-handed sword as he head it at the ready.

"Cash and jewels, hand them over" he demanded in a great booming voice. The fire of his sword reflecting in his golden eyes.

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin discreetly held a razor sharp dagger in one sleeve.
He raised an eyebrow and looked at the beast man in front of him.
"Hmmmm. No, I don't think I will," he lazily replied, eyeing the flaming sword with fascination.
"How many sorcerers did you have to threaten to get the sword to do that?"

Nahashsan

"None" he roared. Snapping his fingers a ball of fire appeared in his hand. "My magic is my own, now don't make me repeat myself"

He took a step closer, sword in one hand, ball of fire in the other.

wandering_giraffe

Seeing the ball of fire, Kasolin's hands immediately went up. He knew better than to mess with whatever magic that was.
"I don't carry cash," Kasolin scoffed.
"My word is enough. Do you know who I am?" Kasolin questioned, one eyebrow raised.

Nahashsan

"Don't know, don't care" he replied flatly. "I said I wasn't going to repeat myself" he roared.

Time was of the essence. They were on a main road and someone could come along at any moment. Not wasting time on more talking he threw the fire ball at the elfs face while simultaneously stabbing with he sword. He moved with remarkable speed for someone of his size.

wandering_giraffe

The beast man moved fast. Dangerously fast.
Kasolin tried to dodge both weapons, bringing his arms up to shield his face.
The fire and the sword hit him at the same time. With the way Kasolin tried to dodge, the sword slashed crossed his side and a scream of pain erupted from Kasolin. He collapsed to the road.

Nahashsan

The fire hit home and the pungent smell burnt hair filled the air. That the same to his sword raked to mans side causing him to scream in pain.

"It was just a graze, now drop you jewels and get moving or I'll gut you like a fish." He said holding the point of his sword to the elfs throat.

wandering_giraffe

The cut wasn't deep. Which was good. Then there was a sword pointed at his throat.
One hand went to where the sword had cut him, putting pressure on it.

"Shit, I told you, I don't have any cash on me!"
Kasolin slowly reached into his coat pocket and took out the one valuable thing he had, wincing at the effort it took.
It was a medallion of some kind, inlaid with two rubies and Kasolin's name along with the title "crown prince" etched into the gold.
"That's all I have."

Nahashsan

"A prince, I can work with that" he said with a evil grin. "On your feet you are coming with me." He gestured with sword tip for the elf the move.

Ransom was tricky because there was always the chance of being followed after the drop. He would have to go back to camp and get one of the boys to run note to the palace.

He now regretted coming out alone this morning. A second set of hands sure would have been nice. He now had to lower his blade to bind Kasolin. "Now I don't want any funny business. I'm going to tie your hands" he sheathed his sword and produced a pair of cuffs from his bag.

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin scowled but didn't have much choice in the matter, managing to get on his feet and sucking in a breath from the pain.
"Where are you taking me?" He stayed still, allowing the beast man to bind his hands.
He still had his small dagger hidden in his coat sleeve. Maybe later he could try to escape with it. Not now. He'd have to wait.

Nahashsan

Leland cuffed the prince then lead him off the road. They traveled through the forest to avoid detection.

It was slow going but after an hour or so he stopped before a hollowed out old oak. He picked up two sticks and drummed out a short beat. Like magic six armed men appeared around them.

"What have we here" one of the men asked to which Leland replied "got ourselves a crowned prince."

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin had no idea where they were. Which made him really nervous. He didn't even tell his dad he was leaving. So nobody knew where he was.
They walked for a while and then stopped, in the middle of a forest.
Six men came out of nowhere and just surrounded them.
Kasolin nervously looked around.
If he was going to escape, now was the time to do so.
As fast as he could pushed through the men and tried to make a run for it.

Nahashsan

The elf tried to make a run for it but the two nearest men reached out and grabbed his arms to catch him.

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin swore as he was roughly grabbed and forced to stand still.
"You'll pay for this," he growled, his eyes flashing angrily.

Nahashsan

Leland turned to the other men. "Biggs, Wedge pat him down for weapons and valuables" he commanded. The two burly men joined the first two and started to search him.

Taking the medallion he turned to the youngest one in the group, a small urchin of 12 or 13.  "Timmy take this medallion to the palace, tell them we have to prince and to expect our demands shortly."

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin was planning.
He should play it safe and try to escape tonight.
He glanced around.
He forced himself to relax and just calm himself down. They hadn't hurt him yet.

Nahashsan

Leland sent all be two of the men back to camp. To the pair that remained he instructed them to take their prisoner to someplace called the river cave.

Leading the way they set back off through the woods until they came to a small river. "In you go, and try not to trip and drown" Leland said as he pushed the prince forward.

wandering_giraffe

Kasolin stumbled, and muttered a curse at all three of his captors.
"Pricks...in the river? No no I'm afraid I can't...I can't get these clothes wet, do you know how much I paid for these?" And he glared at them.