Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC:
Quote from: Paradox on June 10, 2013, 02:30:30 PM
My stitch-work leaves something to be desired."

She like, looks like a quilt when she wakes up XD

----------------

Katahnia sat up, eyes going cross at the sight of the dagger, though at his apology, her expression softened. "No need."
Then as he went on to talk about his work on her, she glanced down at herself, blushing slightly, before looking over at him with a sheepish smile.
"Thank you."s he replied carefully, taking the moment to study his face. "And I am feeling.. much better than before. Before I felt like death." And she laughed lightly about it, though winced because even the subtle laughter hurt. Then as he went on about his work, she smiled again.
"Do not worry yourself. I can heal myself with time." And her eyes went back to the fire, the orange glow casting over her green eyes.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He smiled nervously at her 'death' comment , but wasn't amused. She likely hadn't been aware of how true that statement was since she hadn't encouraged his aid.

Her next comment, however, made him curious and, perhaps, slightly suspicious of her." You're a healer?" And by that, he didn't mean anything beyond the normal,  conventional herbalist.

Were Ansgar to have a most cruel sense of humor, it would turn out that this woman was a MAGE. That thought made Conall feel uneasy. He had limited positive experiences with mages. Very limited indeed.

"Just...tell me if there is anything I could do to help and I will see it done. Assuming it's within my ability..." He now realized , "Ah. You must be hungry. I found..." He went to searching through his bag and offered her an apple. "It's not much, but I didn't think you'd find dry, salted pork very appealing at present. " 

visualspice

Katahnia stared down at the apple and smiled.
"I... I'm not sure I could eat, although I am famished." She looked down at the fire and drew in a careful breath, keeping a hand resting over her stomach. "Maybe... after some more water. I'm still so very thirst. But my stomach hurts. Though it seems just about everything hurts." She had taken the apple, and although she tried to smile, even that hurt.

She glanced over at Conall, studying his face a moment again before asking.. "So.. Conall.. that's your name, right? Where are you from?" she tried to sit up more comfortably. "Your accent sounds familiar. Are you Connloathian?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall shrugged, "Save it for when you're hungry then. I'm afraid there's not much else until I find it or kill it." He tossed her his waterskin, noting that it was nearly empty. "I'll fetch some snow in a moment. I need to sit for bit."

He closed his eyes for a moment, " It's understandable." He'd been a prisoner of war and was no stranger to torture, physical or mental. Though he'd heard that there were far worse nightmares visited upon those prisoners that were female. That he couldn't entirely picture though he'd been forced to watch unspeakable things.

He elevated a bushy brow at her inquiry of his origin. He couldn't entirely mask the surprise that displayed subtly in his eyes, " You know the accent? I'm impressed. There are few that can place it as Connlaothian. I'm from a place called Ardal. Assuming there's anything left of Ardal now..."

He shook his head, "What of you, Katahnia? From where do you hail? "

visualspice

"I suppose you could say I belong to Connloath now," she informed him with a weak smile. "The road is my home, as my duchy no longer exists either, though it fell years before this war had taken root. I suppose one could say, it was the first to fall of many." she sighed, finally taking in more water, but realizing he said that was it on the rations, she made sure to drink it slow, and not all of it, in case he wanted some. Handing back the water skin, she wiped the excess from her lips. "Thanks." She gave him a warm smile and stared down at his clothing. Some of it stained with blood, other parts, from the ice. "So you're not a native to these mountains?" Though she already knew the answer, she grew quiet, debating if it would be wise to inquire as to how he came to be at this location. Thank the Gods he did either way. If it were not for him, she would be dead.

Paradox

ooc: Hope this makes sense.

ic:

The manner in which she stated such things so casually. It caused an unexpected reaction in him. "WHAT?!" He shouted and shot up, standing, his expression incredulous as his tone.

Was she SERIOUS or insane? But he suddenly realize the loss of his composure and felt incredibly foolish. "What do you mean WIPED out!? I... oh.. ah..." He immediately sat back down and forced his composure but popped back up again, "WIPED out? Are you MAD? I did not- this is...I ...was not – how can you speak of it so CASUALLY!? " He sat back down, but he looked like he'd just been slapped.

He'd never heard of such a ...

No. Wait. Yes, yes he had, "But I thought...no. That was a rumor, was it not? You cannot be- but no...you seem- why would anyone idly make up such things? So it IS true, isn't it? House Harmond DID fall. I always wondered and yet...I never questioned. I just swallowed the lies? But they were heathens. Traitors...or were they? " He was talking to himself now . "How could I not know of this? Although it was small...I don't even think I ever met anyone from ..."

He shook his head and laughed, " Am I a native? Nay, though  I may as well be now. I don't know...how long have I been here? Days? Weeks? Months? Perhaps a year? Everything starts to blend together..." Now he seemed to be rambling almost as though he'd lost his mind. " You are perhaps wondering why I am here? That, is a ...long story that I don't think you're quite ready to believe. Suffice it  to say that I won't harm you and that you're the first person who will know that I am not dead."

visualspice

Katahnia hadn't realized the man would be able to guess her origins. Most did not. Then again, most she had run into were not nobleman. ANd her head was spinning at his accusations, not able to catch all of it, though she had heard most. She was surprised he was so edgy on the subject, so flabbergasted by it, though she supposed it was to be expected if he knew and believed her true origins, that she was actually one of the nobles, THEE only noble to survive on her bloodline.. besides her cousins and uncle from afar, in the small duchy of Turgall.

"It.. it happened ages ago," she said, keeping a soft smile upon her lips as she stare at him tiredly. "It was devastating. Forgive me if I can't seem to express more emotion towards it I... it's one of the reasons I am here now."

She thought over what else he said, but could not truthfully give him any answers.
"My family's duchy fell, though the reasons behind it are still shrouded in mystery. It is presumed,  as far as I'm concerned, that connections lay within those of the family line in the duchy of Allar.. though.. "she sighed and stared away. "There is no real proof, only more riddles. Though I saw some of the men.. recognized them. Though it was still hard to believe, hard to swallow. Even now I doubt it, despite having some of the facts and seeing it with my own two eyes. Though forgive me, I am tired, and it hurts to speak."

Then at his last claim not to reveal himself, she only warmed in her smiles.
"That is alright. We have only but met. But I am glad you are alive. If not for you, I'd surely be dead."

Paradox

Conall nodded, "I'm relieved I could be of service in time. At least something good came out of my being stranded here. I didn't think I'd see another person..for quite a long while. " He didn't want to be too morose.

"I...er. I'm – forgive me. I am i sorry for your loss. " He knew not what else to say because he hardly knew her.

He went on to say, "So it is Kathania Harmond , then?" He stroked his long, unruly red beard thoughtfully. He far much looked like a wild mountain man than the noble that he sounded like. He seemed hardly surprised when she implicated that Allar might have been responsible for her plight.  "And you think House Allarick might have a hand in House Harmond's fall? It's not that I couldn't accept that..I... just couldn't think of a reason as to why aside from the accusations made against you which would mean..." He licked his lips," But it matters not to me. Mages, not mages. I won't cast any illusions over what I believe in, however I never supported the madness that escalated in his little bloody crusade."

He scooped up the waterskin and drained it of what little water was left. There was but a swallow.  " It's really not that difficult to believe that Allar would stoop so low. Their Duke has always been a cold, calculating, and vicious bastard. He'd step on anyone to satisfy his own selfish ambitions and smile while he's doing it. I relish the day someone puts a knife to his black heart and..." He shook his head and calmed himself , " Apologies. I got carried away. " He crossed his arms over his chest, " So , Lady Harmond, what do you intend to do once you are healed?"

He had a feeling that she had some crazy, suicidal intentions of returning to Connlaoth. Well, he shouldn't judge since he'd been planning the same thing.

visualspice

Katahnia listened to his words in silent, saying nothing, only digesting. Then when he asked her intentions once she was healed, she only smiled.
"Return to Connlaoth."
She wasn't trusting enough to tell this man about her child, or any other minute details. She, being Katahnia Harmond, as he had guessed, meant little to her. Protecting her child, those she cared for, those she loved, and the innocents being repressed and mistreated...

It was almost too much to bear.
Then she studied him a moment. "I suppose you will not?"

Paradox

"A foolish , yet admirable decision. Brave, indeed and for that you have my respect."  He glanced down at his wounded hand that he'd forgotten earlier in all the excitement , Probably should take care of this soon.

He shook his head at her inquiry , "I wouldn't know where to go or what to do.  My whole life is in Connlaoth, in Ardal. To be of the Ardalir-it means everything to me. Something I didn't fully realize until it was cut out of my life. I spent so much time preoccupied with the politics that I didn't stop to consider why I cared so much..."

He removed his glove from his injured hand and frowned as he studied it. It had healed over, the blood dried over the gash. "Spending time here alone has been somewhat of an enlightening experience, I suppose. I didn't feel quite so much...conviction in my role. I just fell into place because it was expected of me and did what I could to hold things together. There was little passion for ...anything. I cared, but not nearly as much as I should have. Had it been so then perhaps...things may have been different , but then again....perhaps not. I don't think I was alone. "

visualspice

Katahnia nodded to him sagely.
"It is sometimes hard to see the truth until it's taken away. Sometimes hard to see over our own blindfolds." She smiled a bit, and it was only as he was examining it did she notice the gash on his hand. Had he hurt it on account of her?
"Can I see it?" she inquired, her voice still soft and strained. "Your wound."

Paradox

"Indeed it is. Oddly, I find myself somewhat thankful. It may serve for a better purpose in times to come. " He nodded, sounding thoughtful. He couldn't be so arrogant to claim that Ardal needed him. Perhaps someone else would rise in his place, but there was always the concern that there may not have been someone with enough weight behind them to stand up to the monster that Ardal now answered to.

There would be rebellion, but it was likely very ugly now. Many people had died and many more would. Many of them innocent. Mages and not alike. People who wanted nothing to do with it. People that just wanted to live simple, quiet lives...

No. He certainly couldn't turn his back on that.

He moved to sit closer to her, but not too close and held up his hand for her to see with the palm spread out , "This? It's nothing. Just a cut. " Well, that was a bit of an understatement but he wasn't going to die from it. "I don't think there's any glass in there. "

visualspice

Katahnia studied the hand for a while. Glass? Was that how he had cut it? Though she had noted some in the debris, she hadn't given much thought to the world around her. Though who could blame her?

And although she knew it would be stupid, and she should reserve her strength for herself, it was the least she could do to help him- so she pressed the palm o fher hand against his.
"Here, just hold still." And a soft, warm golden light emitted from the palm of her hand. Within minutes, the wound would, tickle, prickle, and the skin would crawl back together and mesh into a tiny scar. ANd as the light faded, her eye lids hung low as she pulled her hand slowly away from his.

"There. It shouldn't bother you any longer." She gave a smile, but no sooner had she said it did she collapse back onto her make shift bed.

Paradox

He could only stare. He'd seen magic before and he knew a great deal more about it than he had when he had first assumed leadership...but he was still not entirely without old views. He was still quite a firm believer in his God.

And this practice...though seeming harmless...it was still wrong.

Blasphemy.

He gasped, eyes growing wide with fear. His instincts were to jerk away from her. To not let her touch him with her cursed taint. But something held him still, calm. He assured himself that he was strong. He feared nothing. Not mages, not magic...

Ansgar would protect him.

He watched his wound mend before his wide, green eyes. He hardly was aware of how stupid he looked. His mouth hung slightly ajar. When it was finished and she collapsed he wasn't sure how to feel.

"Mage!? You're a mage!" He sounded conflicted. Shocked, angry , surprised...everything rolled into one nice, tight little package of ..what the hell! But had he not suspected this before? Even so, it was all so very...

Conall stared at his hand. It had not caused him harm , it seemed. His wound was...gone and there were hardly any traces of pain left in it as he clenched and unclenched his fist, testing it.  It wasn't a big deal. Right? There seemed to be no malevolence in the action...but it was difficult for him to simply accept the idea that any type of magic wasn't wicked in some manner.

It disturbed him more that he wasn't sure how to feel about it. Were he more like his predacessor, it would have been simple.

"Why did you- !? That wasn't neccessary! Magic is- and you..." Which bothered him more? That she had used a forbidden art or that it seemed to have worn her out in the process? Perhaps some of both.

"I could have treated myself , you..." He bit his tongue. It wasn't very gentlemanly of him to speak so. "You... you..." He pointed at her, arm trembling. Why was he so upset? "I was fine! I can handle a little pain, but you're not in any condition to be doing....THAT!"

Or was she? He was no mage and wasn't entirely sure how it worked.

"Don't- DO NOT do that again!" He exclaimed, appearing somewhat more animated than usual in his exasperation.

ooc: lulz

visualspice

Katahnia lay there for a time, listening to his exasperations with a tired smile. She couldn't open her eyes, and didn't speak for a long while after he had gone silent.

"It.. it was the right thing to do. My magic.. it... it will only come to help me if I am stronger. But you.. that cut was small. It was, the least.. the least I could do to.. to help." she said between tiring breaths. She slowly opened an eye and looked up at his appalled face. "I am sorry." And she meant it. "I hadn't meant to scare or harm you." ANd her smile widened only a little as she turned away, her eyes so tired and heavy. "It.. it's funny to think someone can be so afraid of something that can help them. But .." she took a moment to swallow. "I understand. We're facing a war now in our country over it. And even I, who possess magic, know it can be wicked."

Paradox

"Right thing to do? No, it was foolish!  " Conall chastised her, hissing through his teeth. "You're putting a strain on yourself, are you not? When I found you, you weren't even aware of how serious your injuries WERE! You think they're any less critical now?! For all you know , the stress could kill you!"

He might have been being over dramatic? He had no idea.

Concerned, angry , confused. How to feel? He was so conflicted.

"I am most certainly not afraid!" He was insulted that she'd suggest that, but she was right.

Deep down he knew this.

She did too.

He stood there, puffed up like an enraged pufferfish for a moment until he realized how foolish he seemed.

He glowered at her and then, deflated as he sighed and stared at his hand. More gently now, he spoke,"What is it called? Restoration energy? I know so little." He wouldn't pretend he knew more than he actually did about it. "Healing magic, in simple terms I believe. I have seen its uses and yet it still fills my heart with such disquiet. All magic does. It is...not my faith alone that inspires such anxiety, but what I have seen..."

He'd rather not think about it. " Forgive me, it is ...difficult. My dealings with mages have been predominantly unpleasant ones. In spite of that, I...appreciate your...help. I cannot fault your intentions even if I disprove of the methods used to achieve them. It is...not quite so malevolent as so many other things I've come to know, however. It's ...strange. I am uncertain of what to make of it. It was- it felt...so gentle. But I don't know..I was taught to believe it is no different. Yet...oh Ansgar forgive me for entertaining such borderline
blasphemous perceptions. " He chuckled.  Oh indeed . He was probably going straight to purgatory for thinking this way.

"What... I mean to say is... I thank you." He finished, quite awkwardly. "But you really needn't have risked that at the cost of your well-being " Though she may have spared him from an infection...

He stared over at her , curiously. "We are not in Connlaoth anymore and I'd rather ...well, I don't consider you...an enemy of mine lest you give me a reason to believe in otherwise. I do believe I've more than enough enemies as it is. I wouldn't suggest that we are allies either, but I...despite my anxieties I wish no ill on you or any mage for that matter. Not...all of them. That is..not in my nature.  That is not how my people live. "

visualspice

Katahnia smiled up at him, barely keeping her eyes open and feeling dizzy. But she took in everything he said with ease, as if drinking his words down like a cup of soup.
"Connlaoth is old in it's way, but so is magic." she tried to sit up, made a breath of pain, before furrowing her brows and easing herself back down, still clutching the blankets around her nude form.

"Yes... to your statement about allies.. it seems anyone can be friends in a place like this." her eyes looked up at him, sparkling in the cold dark. "And everyone wants to create enemies from shadows. I am sorry to have startled you." And she grew silent a moment, staring down as her eyes lids became heavy again. "I'm sorry to have you worry so it's just.." and it was then she felt a prickle of blood drip down from her nose and blinked after having touched it and looked down at her fingers, revealing the warm redness of blood there.
She tried to quickly brush it away before he would notice.

Paradox

Whatever it was she'd meant to say, something caused her pause. Conall frowned, concern rising within him. "Are you alright?" It felt like such a foolish question though given the hell she'd likely been through. He moved closer to her and ...then , for whatever reason, decided to become uncomfortable about her lack of appropriate attire. How easy it was to fall into the old , silly habits. He turned his eyes away with a slight and clear discomforted frown on his face.

"Perhaps you'd appreciate if I found you something to uh...wear. " His face was turning as bright as freshly picked cherry.

I pick the most ridiculous times to feel uncomfortable.

visualspice

Kathania shook her head, then nodded it.
"No... no.." she sniffed back as much blood as she could. It seemed, after dabbing her nose off on the blanket, that the blood was waning. She turned back to him, some of the blood still staining her nose as she smiled.
"Though some clothing would help to keep me warm. I think the wounds are clotting enough that clothing should not rip them open."

Paradox

"We're about the same height,  " he observed, but he was considerably heavier than her, possessing the usual stocky and muscled build of his people but not quite so much as the usual soldier, " I think you might fit some of my clothing. It's clean. Well, cleaner than yours at any rate. I can borrow some attire from one of those curs I put down. " He wouldn't suggest that she suffer wearing the vestments of her former captors. He didn't like the idea of wearing their clothing either, " Just a temporary arrangement until I find or make something more appropriate. I may even be able to mend your previous clothing. I am running low on thread though. Hm. "

He stood up , still feeling heavy with exhaustion but that was something that wouldn't leave him without a decent meal in his stomach and a fair night's rest. Both things he hadn't had in... he couldn't recall. A long while. Too long.

"Rest, " He told her firmly, his tone almost commanding. He was accustomed to telling other people what to do, naturally. "Er...please?" He added, aware that his tone was a little...unnecessary. "I shall return as soon as I can. Have you need of me, just call. I shant be far."

He left her alone shortly after, exiting the throneroom to navigate the expansive, empty halls and winding his way back to where he'd killed two men. He stared at the bodies, feeling cold and numb inside. He kicked one of the bodies over onto its back with a boot and looked at the face. The man was younger than he was. That was an unsettling thought to him.

He knelt beside the body and stripped it entirely. The clothing would fit him well enough though it might have been better fitting on Katahnia.

He removed the layered furs and animal hides, stripping down to the simple grey woolen tunic and breeches he'd been left in. He shivered. Perhaps it would have been wiser to undress where it was warmer, but there was NO way he was going to do THAT in front of a lady. Not that he was paranoid about her looking. It was just...not proper. Well, whatever. Too late to mull over that now. He finished stripping quickly and slipped into dead lad's clothing then pulled his furs and hides over that, scooped up his clothing and brought it back for Katahnia.

"This might help, for the moment." He said as he rejoined her , taking a seat by the fire.

ooc: she could be sleeping, but I didn't want to assume anything. xD