Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Katahnia had nearly slipped off to slumber, but when Conall returned, his voice roused her. Opening her eyes, she smiled tiredly up at him and sat up, the blanket nearly slipping off, but her hand caught it. She held it in place and nodded.
"Thank you."
She stared down at the clothing, opening her mouth to speak,but the looked up at him, pressing her lips together. She contemplated where she ought to change. It would not be proper to do so infront of a gentleman. Clearing her throat, she nodding to him.
"Would you mind turning around? I'll try to be quick when I dress."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He gave her a funny look, "Oh! Yes. Of course. I-I wasn't intending to watch." Well, he didn't need to keep talking about it. He blushed awkwardly under his beard and turned his back on her promptly.

It still felt rather inappropriate standing there while she was...

Which was silly of him to be feeling , really, because he'd already seen when he'd been tending her wounds. And it wasn't as though he entertained any perverted thoughts. But under dire circumstances, that would have been highly selfish and inappropriate...

"I'll fetch some water. " He walked out, glad he had an excuse to leave the room that didn't make him appear quite so silly.

visualspice

Katahnia waited to drop the cloth until he left, smiling after his retreating form.
Then slowly, she peeled the blankets away, and winced. Her body was sore all over. The cuts ached and some of the clotting wounds began to burst, new trickles of blood seeping from the wounds. She took a moment to dab at the ones sh could reach and see. No use staining the new clothing, already, ubt after a time, she abandoned such a futile mission and began to pull on the leather and fur clothing. It smelled of the musk of men, sweating heavy from wear in the arctic. But she was happy after she was tightening up the strings downt he front and along the pants, happy to be in something insulated that could keep her warm. Then when she was through, she released a breath, her entire body still aching, mroe wounds still cracking open before she eased herself once again down near the fire and waited for Conall to return.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Several minutes passed before he returned, bearing a helmet he'd borrowed from a suit of armor. He'd taken his time. He expected that in her condition that such a simple thing would have been a chore. He would have helped her if asked, but was polite enough to let her determine what her limits were.

The helmet was filled to the top with fresh snow. He set it by the fire to melt and sat down across from her. His eyes appraised her in newly acquired attire, "Hm. Seems to be a decent fit. Forgive me, I haven't the chance to clean it as often as I would have liked. "

Or myself. Ugh. 

visualspice

Katahnia smiled up at him warmly as she smoothed a hand down the clothes.
"Yes, it fits well. It's comfortable. And warm." Though she tried to mask a wince, she gave a nod in his direction. "Do you need any help?"

Paradox

"Indeed? I confess to being surprised that I wasn't left in rags after..." He stopped himself and forced a smile. He wouldn't talk about that. Perhaps another time, if ever. It wasn't only painful to reflect on,but he'd already talked of himself quite a bit. He blinked when she asked him if there was something she could do to help.

"Me? I ...well-" He was so used to doing everything himself for the past several months that he really couldn't think of anything he needed that he couldn't do himself. Well, there were many things he couldn't do but he doubted she could do them in her condition either. "I- I don't know. You..healed my hand already. You should be resting."

Why wasn't she ?

"What we really need is food. Something that doesn't seem to be what we'll find here.  I...am-I haven't eaten in days. I'll be fine though. I had some jerky." He lied. He was barely fine now, but she wouldn't notice that. Yet. "I need to find a way to shut the main doors to cut off much of the chill and then I need to...I need to hunt for food, furs...because we couldn't stay here. Long. The men I killed are probably expected to report their deed done to someone and when that doesn't happen...that someone will probably know there was interference in their plan. I doubt either of us wishes to be here when that happens."

Assuming they went through such troubles.."That really depends on how badly they wish you dead. "

He shook his head , " Really, it is enough for me having someone to talk to. I've been alone for awhile. I'm usually never this...garrulous but I'm just...grateful not to be rambling to someone other than myself for once. " He lowered his head, somewhat embarrassed.

visualspice

Katahnia smiled.
"Well, I am glad I am able to at least help you keep company, though I fear my mind is in a tired state, I am not much one now for talking." She gave another tired smile.

"I suppose I do not seem very helpful in my condition, though I might be capable to help replenish our water by tending to the fires while you scout for the rest. Though.. I must warn you, if there wer e only a few men, surely there will be more. And they might come before morning." She looked at him most seriously. It would not be wise to stick around. She tried to sit up, but flinched, letting out a cry of pain as he gripped at her side, feeli na deep wound rip open.

"We.. we need to get out of here, and fast, if we can. Lest the ... the other men come back to finish the job." And then they'd both be dead for that. But in her condition, she came to realize, she was just too weak. There was no way she'd be able to walk out of here, and now she had already said something to up the bar and strike more cords of fear. "Food may have to wait, unless.. unless we can find some on the dead bodies." She frowned at the idea.

Paradox

"Two. I killed two, "He informed her softly, " and I had considered the likelihood of more even if I did think that was an irrational number hired to deal with just one woman. Apologies. I mean no insult."

He shook his head at her suggestion of leaving , "Katahnia,  there is nothing you or I can do to escape them or keep them from coming. Running is not an option. You can hardly sit up on your own. I very much doubt, no offense, that you would be capable of outrunning trained killers. I certainly couldn't. " He had no illusions of his own abilities.

"Nay. They will come here and we- I will have to deal with them. However many there might be. Surely , there aren't many more? "He looked at her , pointedly.

visualspice

Katahnia pressed her lips together.
"There were well over a dozen." She stared down at the ground, her eyes going distant as she went silent. "They were heavily armed and had horses. If any more were to come, we might be able to hear them but..." she pressed her lips together again. "I still feel terrible. I know I am weak but... It feels as if we are sitting ducks. And the day light is waning." She peered up at the stained glass, where long shadows were casting inside from the setting sun. "I'd hate to think if those men were to come back when we sleep." and she shifted uncomfortably. "Though it might take me over a day to recover my strength. I could,a t that time, heal myself, and make it possible for me to travel. But you... you do not.. not need to stay here. The dangers might be too much. I would feel dredful if you had to succumb to any more ill-fated moments because of me." she stared down at the ground. "I'm sure it wasn't easy to kill those two men."

Paradox

Conall felt slightly insulted that she'd think two men were so much trouble for him. She wasn't wrong , of course, but he was frustrated with himself for being more the gentleman than the soldier. A gentleman was ....rather useless in this scenario. Come to think of it, one soldier against ten wouldn't fair much better.

"A dozen? Maker, that's excessive. Why go through so much trouble when they could have seen you hang and be done with it? Nevermind. It matters little. "

He shook his head when she suggested that he didn't have to stay, "True, but if I was that kind of man, I wouldn't have bothered to help you in the first place unless I wanted something from you." He made a face and then realized that she might have been offended, "Apologies. It's not that I don't think you're ....but I would not- you know." Now, he felt more foolish. Why WOULD she know? "What am I saying? We just met." He was babbling now, and feeling foolish. He cleared his throat, " Anyway, um...my point is that I won't leave you. I do not fear death."

He didn't. He used to , but why should he? His whole life was a ticking time bomb. He could die at any moment . Or so the doctors said...

Sometimes he wondered if they might have been...wrong. He'd never know that though. The thought of just...suddenly stopping...that was far worse a fate than this. Certain death. To stand with courage and conviction. Yes. That was how he wanted to go.

"We still have an advantage , assuming they're not even aware that I'm here. Yet. I have a bow and I still have strength. Perhaps we can prepare . There must be...perhaps there's a place in this castle where we could find a more advantageous position. Are there no cellars? No underground passages? If we could hole up, hide somewhere or at least find a more defensible place to make our stand...so that the opposition couldn't attack in unison...then it would be a great deal easier to fend them off. "

He considered the possibilities and frowned at her, " Do you think...you could? I ...don't want you to make things worse on yourself. Maybe I could...try to support you or...I could carry you though , be there a need to. "

"I do agree though. Here in this...room....it is far too open. We're easy prey here and we should find something better. Likely as soon as possible. " He added with a nod.

visualspice

Katahnia only smiled at his verbal fumblings.
"I understand." she bowed her head. "You sound every bit a gentleman I expect you to be. Were you a merchant, or nobleman before you were cast out here?" She was mildly curious of this, but at his other questions, she bit her lip as she frowned. "Perhaps.. I might be able to move some, though I haven't tried to stand just yet I.." she hesitated, then thought it over. "Perhaps a tower. We could go to the tower. We'd have a whole view of the valley outside. That way, if the men were coming, we would know it and have the advantage and chance at a surprise." Though she sighed, realizing she ought to reserve her strength.. just in case, and leaned in more towards the fire as she thought it over, her body, nestled once again in the blankets and make shift bed.

Paradox

"You flatter me. After all that time she spent tailoring me to be the proper Lord, I dare say that my mother would  have been rather proud to hear a Lady such a thing about my manner, " Conall chuckled, " a nobleman indeed. Or , rather, was.'Tis a complicated matter," but then he shook his head and smirked , " Heh.  When is it not?  "

She proposed seeking a tower and he stroked his bearded chin thoughtfully, "A promising suggestion. The vantage point would be beneficial though if they have a mind to enter before we see them coming, we're trapped, but the staircases are narrow, I think. It wouldn't allow more than one man to come up at a time. Yes. That might work ."

"When you're ready, let me help you. Tell me what you need. Someone to lean on, or carry you. I can do either.  " He started gathering his things , shoving them into his pack.

visualspice

Katahnia nodded. She was exhausted, but she knew there wasn't much time.
"I... I might be able to manage. But should we scout the tower first? I mean, to say that it is stable and available for us to use." She gave a soft, tired chuckle. "THough I doubt even bats would roost in this type of climate." she sighed, a breath coming out in a trail of white puffs.  "Why don't you go check it out. I can stay here and put out the fire and pack the remainder of your things."

Paradox

"You're right, although I'm not very keen on leaving you alone here. I imagine that your death is their primary objective. They don't get paid if you're alive, yes? They'll see to that first before chasing after one man. Lest I find them first and give them a reason to."

He couldn't handle ten men alone. At least, he didn't think he could. The last two had not been so easy.

Would ten men really gave chase to one? If there were any brains among them then the force would likely be split up and sent in search of the girl and for other potential threats. Only two or four would likely be needed to overwhelm someone like him.

"I can only pray they wouldn't come so soon, but if that doesn't end up the case... " He pulled a dagger from his belt and offered it to her. It was made of fine steel and the pommel was ornate with uncommon design. It would have fetched a fine price at market, one could assume. "This has served me well for many years. It foiled an assassin or two. I know it's not much, but it's better than leaving you completely unarmed. It gives more of a fighting chance...unless you think you could use my bow..."

Did she have any experience with archery? Though even if she did...she probably didn't have the strength left in her body to use it. 

visualspice

Katahnia smiled weakly.
"I do not think a dagger or a bow and arrow would do me well in my state. I doubt I could knock an arrow in my state." Though she smiled despite that. "But I'll take the dagger if it pleases you." And she nodded to him. "And I'll be fine. I have.. other ways to stop men if they happen to come." And she smiled a little more when she added, "I suppose one thing I could do well is play dead. But please, do not fret yourself. We haven't much time. I would assist you if I could. But if you'd rather forgo scouting it first, we could just both go to the tower now, together."

Paradox

"You...don't have any...sort of magic that could ah...protect you?" He inquired, hesitantly. He wasn't comfortable with asking about it. It made him feel so...immoral. "I shouldn't even be suggesting this, but better that than...well, sometimes one must do what one must to survive,  I suppose." He finished lamely. "Perhaps my weapon is useless , but you are right in assuming that I would feel more at ease if you held onto it. It may serve you better than you suspect, or it might not. It's better than leaving you completely unarmed."

The suggestion of her playing dead, he liked that, "That's not a bad idea although I don't know how they think, but your being on the ground, cleaned up and with different clothing would have struck me as highly suspicious, "he sighed, "or I'm over-thinking things. Anything at this point is worth a try. "
He grabbed his bow and started on his way, " I'll see what I can find. I'll return for you shortly. Try to stay out of trouble."

Not that he expected she'd intentionally find any. Before he left he tossed a glance over his shoulder, " I am of House Shanley. "

They were probably going to die anyway. Someone might well have known the truth.

Before she could say anything in response to that, he was gone.
~

He moved as swiftly as his legs would carry him, tired as they were. Exiting the decrepit castle, he crossed the courtyard and made his way to one of the watchtowers which appeared to be in an even worse state. It was leaning a bit precariously to the left and had a few gaping holes in the stone.

"That looks...problematic," Conall frowned as he drew near the door and reached for the door's handle. He tugged on it . The handle twisted but the door itself wouldn't budge. "Oh come on!" He grunted and tugged harder , but it was stuck fast. Most likely, it was frozen in place like most everything else.

"Perhaps there's another way in, " he didn't think so but he checked anyhow, circling around the tower and ....no. He had been right. There was only one way in. The windows were far too high up to enter through. The door was the only way in.

"Maybe I should find another place," He sighed and kicked the door out of frustration once, twice, thrice. Not expecting it to break in for him as it did, but more or less to vent his frustrations. He blinked when it gave way to his booted fury and cautiously poked his head inside.

There were no bats. He breathed a sigh of relief and pushed his way inside. It was dark, but there was just enough light filtering in through the building's holes and cracks to shed just enough light. He could see the ground covered in dust and bones. "This doesn't look good. What happened here, I wonder? "

Perhaps the place had been attacked and people had died in here? But why here? He hadn't noticed many bodies inside the castle itself and that was a little...disturbing. He moved up the steps which were partly broken in places , but even as he stepped over the gaps ,nothing crumbled and gave way beneath his weight. He found his way to the top with little incident.
Scouting accomplished, he returned to Katahnia.

"There were no bats, " he informed her upon his arrival, "there were a lot of cobwebs and ...skeletons. Human ones. The way they were laying , it looks like people just...died in there. I searched the entire tower. It was clear. A little...decrepit but clear. I think it's usable. "

visualspice

Katahnia sat up more erect, smiling at Conall when he returned. She gave a nod to his words. "The fire is mostly out, I used snow to snuff out the remaining ashes, and with time, that smoke should fade. Hopefully before anyone comes back here that could smell it or detect it at a distance. However, that brings up a good question if we want to risk starting a fire in the tower. I suppose we could just bring extra blankets and stick close. They say the body produces a lot of it's own warmth, so if we stick together, we should be fine to survive the night."

Then she gestured to the packs and supplies nearby. "And everything should be together." Drawing ina breath, she turned back to him, eyes studying his. "I think I have enough strength to walk. I could carry the supplies, but i'm afraid once I'm in the tower, I might be useless after that." And that was being optimistic. Hopefully she could make it up there at all on her own... if not, Conall might have to carry her.

Paradox

"Eventually, we probably won't have much choice ,but I think we could survive for a time without one." His face darkened with a blush at the thought of being within a close proximity of a woman. "I suppose so. I-I don't really know – about that, but you're probably right." He felt a bit awkward and so he added with a bit of humor, "If all else fails, we could just use my beard." He gave it a tug and chuckled then went over to collect his bag from the floor.He grabbed a blanket and folded it until it was as small and compact as he could possibly make it before cramming it into his bag. He grabbed a couple more. Pillows were nice but not necessary. If need be, he supposed he could have been used as a pillow. He was quite accustomed to doing without them.

He went over to stand in front of her and lean forward, extending his hand out in offering, "I don't have much here and I'd prefer to travel as light as possible. You need not carry a thing.Only try to do what you feel is within your limits. I mean that. If you don't have the strength, that's fine. I'll help you. I'm amazed that you've even recovered this quickly.  "

visualspice

Katahnia smiled and slowly got to her feet.
"I should at least try." And she nodded to him, but when she went to move to pick up the pack of supplies, she was able to do that, but once she was righted, she lost her balance. And with a noise, she stumbled backwards, crashing and falling into Conall, who was already burdened with the weight of too many other things, and soon the pair were ont he floor, Katahnia in a heap above him. Now it was her turn to blush.
"Oh, I!" her face was beet red. "Goodness, I.. I'm sorry Lord Shanely. I had a bit of a dizzy spell back there and lost.. lost my balance."

Paradox

Conall nodded, understanding. Respecting that even. He let her take the first steps on her own though when her legs started to wobble and he was shifting his position to help her, he wasn't swift enough. Her back crashed into his chest and he tipped over, landing heavily on his back with Katahnia on top of him.

He lay there in a daze for a moment and thanked Ansgar that she hadn't broken his back. But it was likely to smart...for days. "No, I probably should have anticipated this. It's alright. " He turned his head aside to hide his own embarrassment. He wasn't accustomed to this manner of ...well, whatever one were to call it. Contact? It was all innocent in nature, but it still made him feel awkward.

"Here, let's get you - well, let's get back on our feet, shall we?" He sat up stiffly. "...just a moment . Ah..."

Oh yes. His back definitely earned itself a fresh new bruise. Probably a big one!

He stood up and hooked his arm under hers, lifting her as slowly and gently as possible and then moved her arm so it was about his shoulders. "Now, two things. First, never call me Lord Shanley. That is way too formal for a situation like this. You may call me Conall. Secondly, you need to lean on me. If I feel you losing your step, I'm going to carry you. "

He'd never carried a person before but it couldn't be too hard. He'd seen men do it all the time!

How hard could it be?