Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Despite herself, at the inquiry, she suddenly let out a sob. Tears sparkled in her eyes and were quick to roll down her cheeks, and before she knew it, she was throwing her arms around him and burying her face into his neck.

"Gods... Conall.." she whispered, holding him tight. "I thought we would all be killed."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He grunted softly when she threw her arms around him. She wasn't all that rough, but his muscles were tender from the Mordecai's interrogation. He endured the embrace though because despite the pain, it did feel nice. He could scarcely recall the last time he'd been like this with anyone. Aislin had been the last and that had been ...ten or eleven years at least.  For all their love, his family had been wary of physical contact with him. And, well, outside the family one didn't simply hug a duke. That was improper. Fortunately, it hardly mattered here.

He nodded at her words because she voiced the fears that had been constantly racing in the back of his mind and his heart. "I took a gamble. I hope Lana and the others can forgive me. I didn't want to surrender like this, but unlike with the Mordecai, there is hope in this situation. If we play our cards right, we may actually see Connlaoth again. But it's a dangerous game and we're standing on a rather precarious edge. One wrong word or move and ...it'll send us over it."

He sounded and looked troubled. " He hurt you and if he can do that to someone he loves ..." He lowered his voice even more, "I know he's your cousin and I know you still care for him , but everything I say and do will always be with you and the others in mind. "

visualspice

Katahnia just let herself lean into him, melting in the moment and just needing to feel the comforting warmth of another. But it still also begged the question of what he had said to her earlier.. but she was too afraid to bring that up just yet. Had he meant it? And what was to become of them once this whole ordeal was over? He was right.. and they had to be careful...

"Blaith is unstable. I fear it is his power is corrupting him. It is the only thing I can think of that would break him so. His... magic abilities were always unique and carefully guarded after an incident with Kella and a stable boy in her youth. But that was a long time ago.. and since then, much has happened."

Pressing her lips together, she chewed over a few thoughts.
"At least for now, we are safe," she said quietly, remaining contently nestled against his form. "We will just have to take each unknown wave as it comes and test the water. The best thing we can do.. is pray." And here she took his hand unknowingly, and clung to it tight. She needed this moment more than anything, lest she break down and start crying again.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall stared at her hand for a moment , feeling his cheeks heat under his unruly beard. He nodded his head slightly,but knew not what to say. Kathania knew the man better than he. He was silent for a moment, content to feel her heartbeat against his chest. He sighed softly, "I don't really know him , but when I met him he seemed different. There was passion and darkness, but it was not blind. Men like Klaust brought it out of him and I could sympathize. I was an older brother once."

He thought about it for a moment, "Speaking of Klaust, it was a little curious that he disappeared right after the Delgrin's party . He was far too arrogant for that. He wasn't afraid of me at all as though he knew he was untouchable and Blaith confirmed that. Said the bastard had Allarian upper echelons in his pocket. "  He sounded neither troubled nor pleased by this fact. Men like Klaust were sick like Vesrick and ,really, Connlaoth was better without them. Too bad Vesrick was still around. Probably stuffing his fat face and feasting on everyone else's misery. "I'm not insinuating that Blaith had something to do with it, but after that night he treated me like I was no different than Klaust and I never understood. I suspected I was always missing something...and I suppose your theory makes sense though I know so little about how magic works. "

She said they were safe and his expression clearly displayed his doubt. "I wish I could believe in that. " She may or may not have heard the doubt in his voice or seen the hint of fear reflecting in his green eye. "But you're right about one thing. We can only move forward and hope we survive to see the next day. "

As much as he wanted to hold her, he was also afraid to. "Are you sure this alright? Us...like this? N-not that I mind. He- I mean you were supposed to..." He cleared his throat. "I heard at the party back then that you two were..."

visualspice

Her heart skipped a beat at his question. Keeping a breath held in, she eventually lifted her gaze to his. Her eyes held curious, saddened tears as she tried to read him.
"The idea was that I was to wed Blaith to keep he and his sister out of the harm of Connlaothian society, to help mask away the sort of powers they possess... their magic.." she began to say, slowly shaking her head, "Is none that I have ever seen nor heard of. It's almost like.. something dark, something sinister, something not right. For you see, their magic steals things... like life, other powers.. other thoughts.." and here as she explained it, she kept her voice low so that only he might be able to hear it.  And her eyes kept upon his as she continued to press the issue. "I almost wonder if the twins had been cursed." But who was she to say? She.. also purposely avoided the initial question, for even she knew not how to answer.

Paradox

He did not miss the fact  that she avoided his question. He searched her eyes curiously, feelings of uncertainty and doubt teased his heartstrings. Should he press the matter a bit harder or leave things where they were? Vague? Uncertain? Did she dodge the question because she was trying to do the polite thing and spare his feelings , was she not sure of what to say or was she afraid?  Or, as he felt, perhaps it might be a combination of the last two. 

He pushed that string of confusing and maddening thoughts aside and chose to act as though he hadn't noticed her blatant verbal dodging.If she didn't wish to speak of it, he would be a gentleman and respect her privacy but maybe she wanted him to be nosy? Women, his mother had always loved to remind him, were complicated and emotional beings.

"And Kella suffers from the same thing. Perhaps it might be a curse, "Conall said softly, "but I've always been told that curses only have as much power as you choose to give them. " He shook his head, "My uncle said that once." He smiled slightly and shook his head, "I meant that in a spiritual sense, of course."  He shrugged, "Some people are born with hardships in their lives. Some suffer a little, others endure a lifetime of challenges. Some like to say that it's Ansgar's way of testing our faith and that wicked are those that fall to their test and fall prey to hardship," he shook his head," but I don't think it works that way."

He went quiet for a few moments again and then inquired, "Do you think I'm a man of my word?"

visualspice

Katahnia was still lamenting over what had happened to her cousin. Their reality had become broken, their world- turned upside down. And little did she know Blaith was solely responsible for this war. It was at Conall's last question that broke her from her thoughts that her eyes lifted to meet his and sparkled curiously as she raised her brows.

"Yes," she said, without an ounce of doubt in her words.

Paradox

"I'm flattered. " He smiled weakly and  met her gaze. He went quiet for a good minute or two and then broke the silence with a soft sigh, "I ...what I said to you – what I whispered to you, I want you to know that I uh...it's true. Forgive me if I was too bold and that it wasn't exactly the most appropriate moment to express such feelings. I just didn't think I'd have another chance." He shook his head, " I have no expectations for reciprocation. I just ...-I wanted you to know."

visualspice

For a long while Katahnia stared at.him while many emotions wavered inside her eyes. She wanted to.scream and tell him yes, that she felt that way to.  But she also feared what it meant, and if it were even possible for the pair of.them to ever have a chance. But before she could speak a word, Lana approached to.see.if.they were alright.

"We had all been praying for you," she told Conall in earnest. "It's just good to.see.you awake."

Paradox

He waited quietly, watching her reaction and his stomach tightening in agonizing knots over what she might have said. She wouldn't be cruel to him , he knew that but part of him was worried that his words might offend or upset her. But she simply stared at him, her eyes swimming with several emotions that Conall tried to read. She looked about ready to say something and he held his breath but then....

Lana came and whatever Katahnia was going to say would have to wait. Damn it, Lana!

Conall forced himself to smile at the woman, nevertheless. " It's good to see you too, Lana." He was surprised that the woman seemed to be in better spirits. He'd been so sure that she would have been furious with him. "Uh...thank you for all your help, by the way. I owe you. "

Lana smirked, "I'm not  interrupting something, am I? "

"Yes- no! No, hahaha...we were just talking..." Conall chuckled nervously.

Lana's smirk grew broader,"Ohhh. I get it. 'Talking'. Riiiight."

Conall blinked. He knew that tone. He blinked once more stupidly, "I- I beg your pardon?"

"It's okay. I'll leave in a moment so you can finish 'talking'. " She winked at them. "Just don't talk too loud, if you know what I mean. The kid is asleep."

((oh Lana. You perv. )) 

visualspice

OOC:
Quote from: Paradox on October 20, 2013, 08:37:55 PM
Lana came and whatever Katahnia was going to say would have to wait. Damn it, Lana!

Looool
X3

--------------

As Lana disappeared, Katahnia couldn't help herself but giggle lightly herself, despite the heated blush upon her face.
"Yes, we were evidently just talking," she said, a smile upon her lips as her eyes took him in with warm mirth. Though after a moment, she drew in a breath and tore her eyes away from him, tucking in her lower lip as she felt her own nerves tighten within her belly as she thought back to the question he had asked, to his admittance back at the camp... and what it would mean for them if she too, admitted what she truly felt.

Paradox

What ? Where are you going? You interrupt us at the worst possible moment and now you're leaving!? You might as well stay because she's not going to say anything now! Conall glowered and stared daggers after Lana. He shook his head and met Katahnia's gaze briefly before she looked away. Her expression seemed ...uncertain? Uncomfortable , perhaps?

Am I the one making her uncomfortable?

"Thank you for taking care of me, Katahnia. " He told her softly, "You should ought get some rest now though. Blaith will probably push us hard tomorrow, I suspect. Mayhaps the young fellow might not mind switching places with you. I'm sure it's warmer in the tent." He yawned and let his eyelids close partially. "Or would you like to stick around and hear a bedtime story?" He chuckled. He could think of a couple! "I promise that none of them involve pinecones. " 

Stupid Lana!

visualspice

Katahnia lifted her gaze to smile at him warmly, her eyes wavering as she took him in.
"Or pine cones stuck in your beard," she said, chuckling lightly. Drawing in a breath, she shook her head at his words and rubbed at her temple.
"I am exhausted, but not sure I can just lay down and sleep. ANd I most certainly would not leave you in the care of another in your condition," she said, looking him over with a frown.

Paradox

Conall laughed at the beard comment a little too hard to the point that it caused tears of anguish to roll from his eyes. Ironically it felt good and bad at the same time. Good for the spirit, bad for the body. He took a moment to recover, not wanting to make much fuss over something small. Katahnia was already stressed enough as it was. "No, no. That is a unique experience familiar only to us. It would be quite silly to tell you a story that you already know, wouldn't it?" He offered her a fond smile.

He went quiet for a moment and then adopted a thoughtful look. Her concern was touching but , perhaps there was something else bothering her. There must have been many things bothering her. He wouldn't press her, he decided. Not right now when the mood was peaceful enough. "Very well, if that is your wish then I certainly won't refuse your company. But, do humor me. What manner of story would you like to hear? I will have you know that I'm rather skilled storyteller. I had a ninety -three percent success rate of putting women to sleep at social gatherings whenever I talk. Some of those ladies were in desperate need of a nap too. "   

visualspice

Katahnia smiled at the memory, and as he went on to inform her about his expertise in making ladies bored, she gave a closed lipped smile and nudged him with her arm.
"I'm sure you'e not that bad," she said, giving him a playfully mean leer. "After all, you'd simply have to shave your beard in order to gain their interest again. You did look rather dashing when you were more... groomed."
Yeah, she went there. Teasing him was too damn fun not to.

Paradox

Conall gasped at her blasphemous suggestion. Shave the beard? How could she!? What a horrible, evil woman! The answer was oh so clear. "NEVER!" 

Lana stuck her head out of her tent and looked at the pair with a worried expression.

"We're fine." Conall assured her.

Lana shook her head at them and disappeared back into her tent.

Conall blushed at her teasing. Really? She thought he looked good? No . Wait! Damn her! She was doing this on purpose! Well, he was not going to let her win! He made a face at Katahnia. "Nice try, Miss Harmond , but I see right through your flattery. Quite frankly, I think you want it gone because you might have, " he shrugged slightly, "Oh , I don't know. Slight beard envy."

visualspice

At his come back, the ends of Katahnia's lips simply curled.
"Oh? Is that what you think?" And she looked away from him, trying to most obviously stifle a laugh.

Paradox

Conall quirked a brow at her an set his lips into a hard thin line,"Yes, in fact the evidence collected from various experiences makes it quite clear, really." Conall boasted, "On numerous occasions, you've threatened my beard and assaulted it. Clearly , you feel intimidated by it's unruly yet exotic luster. "

Unruly yet exotic luster? That sounded ridiculously intelligent.

Conall smirked, "It's okay, Miss Harmond. I'm here for you if you need to make a confession. I promise not to tell a soul. Maybe if it makes you feel better, I might cut off a quarter of it and let you have a beard of your very own. "

That's just kind of gross... He still was laughing on the inside at the absurdity regardless.

visualspice

Katahnia was trying to fight off a laugh, but at his words, her mouth kept falling more open and open until she was positively GAPING at him and his words, and suddenly her hand struck out and gave a playful pull on his beard.

"Gods, Conall!" ANd then she was doubled over from laughter, unable to contain it anymore as she held onto her sides and laughed and laughed.
"Gods, that has to be the single most ridiculous thing you could have ever said!" And then with a more playful laugh, she added, "And to think, I thought you might have been serious when you were confessing your love for me!" And she jutted her chin out smartly at him. She could't help it. It was cruel... but hey.. he asked for it!
Offering her croppings of his beard!? How gross!
"Clearly you were just in love with your beard!"
FOR REALZ

Paradox

He gasped when she yanked on his beard. "Don't pull it! It's fragile!" It wasn't as easy as it looked to keep a straight face while making an exclamation like that even when he'd spent years with his mother practicing how to maintain a neutral expression and tone in all situations.

For a moment he appeared to look as though he had just been slapped. Focusing simply on what she said opposed to the context, what she said was considerably harsh. It stung him just a little that she would joke about something that he had been fairly serious about when she really had yet to formally acknowledge it. But he was sure that she didn't mean it like that. Surely she didn't consider his feelings a joke.

He pretended not to take offense and continued to smirk at her, "You haven't known me long enough to make a claim like that. " Wait. That made it sound worse! "I mean... not that I've ever said anything absurd before. My words are most certainly not ridiculous. Look, just now you tried to steal it from me. Katahnia, I am surprised at you, really. If you wanted a beard so badly, you just had to ask. I'd be more than happy to share it with you because true love is sharing one's beard with unfortunate beardless."