Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Well, here she had been about to apologize, realizing her joke might have been a bit too low of a blow.

But then he said that.

And all she could do was stare at him, her mouth gaping, her eyes wide and her expression conveying only what her voiceless response could not.
And then a moment later, she exploded into a smile and a laugh and tossed her head back.
"Clearly! Your affections for me are most genuine and proven worthy for me to respond to after such a noble gesture as that! If you were to continue to pursue such handsome tongues with me, perhaps we are on a path to an engagement!"
And she said it so well, so poised for her joke, that, if one were not careful, they might miss the sparkle of laughter within her eyes.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall sat up and dared to move closer to her so that their faces were inches apart. He studied her face with an expression that was almost convincingly serious, " Had I known such words would have won your affections seven years ago, I would offered much sooner." He almost looked and sounded convincing , but his voice cracked slightly with the suggestiveness of humor and his expression was fighting to remain impassive. It wasn't working. His lips kept curling up into a smile. "I suppose we're only so fortunate that no other man has thought of making the same proposal. Because you wouldn't wish for an inadequate beard."   

visualspice

It was just too much to bear! And where Conall was able to keep (mostly) his straight face, Katahnia could not! And in her moment and fit of laughter,s he shook her head and threw her arms around him suddenly and kissed him long and hard upon the lips.
"And was it seven years you've waited for something like that?" she asked, her eyes a bit half lidded and teasing, though her tone, actually a bit more serious and breathy. "For your beard was not quite so handsome back then, so forgive me for not being able to resist.."
And though she joked, her cheeks flushed. It was.. the only excuse really for such a bold action on her part!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He froze up, eye widening and lips gasping against hers because she took him off-guard completely. The intensity of her kiss was ultimately matched and when they parted he stared at her, face flushed and breathless.

He nodded and leaned his forehead against hers smiling gently and his quiet voice a soft,warm breath on her neck , "Indeed.Something to that affect."

He briefly lowered his gaze from hers and adopted a pensive expression, "Forgive you?  I don't know. Perhaps I could if you could pardon me now for being incapable of resisting your lips."

visualspice

Katahnia giggled and.couldn't resist her come back, "So it really HAS been seven years?"And she gave a soft and playful batting of her lashes.

Paradox

Conall momentarily narrowed his eye suspiciously at her, as if he suspected that she were up to something because she usually was. He shook his head, "Seven more than I could bear," he admitted, "but such a wait is worth it. I would gladly have endured seven more or a lifetime.  " 

visualspice

Katahnia stared at him, her lips falling open, her cheeks heating to a blush before she dropped her gaze and laughed at his remark.
"Truly, a man of romantics," she said, smirking as she looked up at him through a mess of her hair. Her bangs had grown far too long and settled over most of her eyes.
"But it begs a lot of.. questions," she began to say, her eyes now softening to a more saddened look, and a sad look of curiosity.
"If you really do have feelings for me, Conall, do you realize the consequence?"
For she wasn't a pure woman anymore, and was technically promised to another....
Finding herself falling in love again... well, it was a complex situation in itself. Not to mention she had a daughter out there that she rarely ever saw, and that very idea always ate away at her... the guilt ever strong.

Paradox

Conall's smile wavered and his expression shifted to something a little more solemn. It was , to him, apparent now that she fancied him as well. Half of him was excited by this revelation where the other half was nervous. This wasn't some fairy tale where a prince declared his love for a woman and they rode off into the sunset to be married and live happily ever after. Life was far more complicated than that.

He nodded in agreement at her words. "I know there's a lot to consider. I've spent hours agonizing over the consequences we'd both face if we were to purse a romantic relationship ," He said softly, knowing that if IF they chose to explore a relationship together that there would be a lot that they would need to discuss, " that was why I tried to keep my feelings to myself.  I thought that maybe it was just a passing fancy. It happens to young people , yes? I found you rather attractive when I met you , but I was what? Eighteen? What did I know about love?" He laughed and shrugged, " And, well, there was your marriage. It would have been highly inappropriate to pursue you. I suppose it still is." She had mentioned there was another man in her life before and that she would have married him. And, of course, there was that engagement to Blaith.

He shook his head," Every moment I've been with you, my affections have only grown stronger. Though I must confess that I wasn't sure what I was feeling precisely until a few hours ago when my face was covered in that slop. " He gave a short laugh at that disgusting but endearing memory. "I know what I feel is something more than a base attraction and it's been driving me mad  to the point that the pain in my heart is excruciating. I just needed to confess. It is enough for me that you know how I feel. " There was longing for something more, but he'd known that she was somewhat off-limits to some extent and he didn't want to accept it, but knew that he might have to.

visualspice

Katahnia's eyes wavered at his words. She remained silent the entire time, taking each bit in for what it was worth. She knew how he was feeling, for the same doubts, worries and concerns had plagued her. ANd she wasn't sure what to say, but for now, she moved her hand forward, entwined her fingers with his and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"We are.. against the world," she began to say, a smile quivering upon her lips as the corners of her eyes threatened with tears. "But it is during this strain when we begin to realize what in life we might lose through hesitation." And she moved a hand forward to pull his hair away from his eyes.
"I think... that if it were to be presumed right, that it could be something wonderful," she said, but as she did so, tears began to slip down from her eyes and trickled slowly down her cheeks.

Paradox

"It's just the world. I fear them not." That, of course, was not entirely true. One would have had to have been an utter fool not to be afraid, but one would also have to be doubly so the fool for hesitating and allowing that fear to rule them and turn them away from whatever it was that they were passionate about. 

With his free hand , he lightly touched her face with his fingertips and wiped away some tears, "I think what we already have is quite wonderful on its own." Perhaps it could get better from here? He didn't know. This was a foreign territory for him and he was certain that all the romantic plays he'd seen were not an accurate depiction of what real romance was about. "And..I am loathe to jeopardize that. I hold you only in the highest esteem, Katahnia. I mean that. We'll just take things slowly, at whatever speed is comfortable for you, and see where it leads us, alright?"  He squeezed her hand lightly and then dared to lean in and kiss her lightly on the cheek.

Inwardly, he wanted to lose himself in his passion for her and taste her lips again, but he kept reminding himself that he was a gentleman and a son of Ansgar. He had self-control. Barely. 

visualspice

Katahnia felt her heart flutter over his words, and then soared at his actions as he leaned in to kiss her cheek. More tears fell down as she turned into him, her lips meeting softly against his, hesitant at first before she leaned in and kissed him more fully. And then again her lips came to meet his, her hands moving to wrap around him to hold him tight, her breath becoming lost in the moment.

Paradox

Never for a moment forgetting everything his mother had taught him, Conall met her kiss halfway, pressing his lips to hers tenderly. He smiled nervously at her hesitance and waited patiently for her to decide upon how to proceed. Now she turned to him and he leaned in again and shared another kiss with her that was a bit longer and more passionate than the first. However , when Katahnia pulled him into her tight embrace, Conall let out as gasp against her lips and she could feel him flinch in her arms. Though she was hardly manhandling him, the fact remained that his body was still pretty sore from being interrogated by the Mordecai.

Conall drew his lips away just enough to speak, "Is this part of the healing process, Miss Harmond?" He teased in spite of the pain, "I'd say I think that it's working." 

visualspice

Kathania gave a half-lidded, half tugging grin at his comment as she peered up into his face.
"Perhaps so... though for all you know this is part of my magics," she said, smirking devilishly and grabbing onto his clothing and pulling him to her again as her lips crashed once again to his.

Paradox

The kiss was brief because he couldn't resist a laugh at her tease, "Oh ? Is that why you're so eager to take care of me?Magic, you say," and his smile grew," I like this kind of magic. There ought to be more of it in Ardal." It was true! Although it did sound slightly blasphemous and just a tad bit naughty, he hardly cared. Ansgar, forgive me but her lips are divine.He stole another brief kiss from her and smirked, "Perhaps I should allow myself to be injured more often then."

((He was going to say something dirtier than that but then I remembered this is not an  M thread and I don't want the creepers reading it!))

visualspice

Kathania gasped at his words and lightly hit him on the shoulder.
"Conall! What a horrible thing to say!" Though as she chastised him, she was still smiling.
"Really, maybe these magics are too much for you?" she said, sticking her nose to the air and turning away from him, pretending to give him the cold shoulder.

Paradox

((wth. I posted this and it didn't go through the first time. :/ ))

"Miss Harmond, you forget your manners! It's a serious offense to turn your back on a duke when he's speaking to you!" He sounded genuinely offended, but if she could have seen the look on his face , she would have seen that he was barely managing to stop himself from laughing at his foolishness. "Giving me the cold shoulder, are you ?Well, now you can do it. Literally! " He scooped up some fresh snow in his hand and threw it at the back of her shoulder.

(( Maturity is overrated!)) 

visualspice

Katahnia's eyes.went wide as the snow ball hit her.
"Conall!"but then a stirring from Blaith's tent reminded her of the delicacy of the situation, so instead of retaliating, her eyes simply gave him an imploring look as she placed a hand over his.
"We'll.have time for antics later..." And her eyes kept.to his. "We should try to rest while we can..."
Now, of all.times, she did not wish to.awaken her cousin.

Paradox

He'd gotten carried away again. Conall blushed and nodded, "A fair point, my apologies." He squeezed her hand gently and glanced back over his shoulder at Blaith's tent with a slight frown, his mood sobering. Ansgar, he was a reckless fool! There was no telling what Blaith would do if he knew about this. He had to be more careful from this point on though he figured there may not be that many more opportunities to be alone with her if Blaith still intended to marry her.

Seeing that no one had come out, he leaned forward and stole a quick kiss and then slowly settled back down in bed with a sigh. "Good night, Katahnia." That said, he closed his eye and tried to drift off to sleep.

~

The next morning , just an hour before light , Conall felt himself being shaken roughly to the point that his shoulder ached . Conall grunted and sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He felt sore and exhausted.

"Wake up and get moving. We don't have all day, your highness, " Gavin sneered at the duke and shoved a luke-warm bowl of stew into his hands. "Five minutes to eat that and get your lazy ass ready or we'll leave it behind to freeze."

Conall accepted the bowl, "Charming fellow, isn't he?" He muttered under his breath. Shaking his head, he proceeded to eat.  Lana, the old woman , the child and the young man sat around the fire with him while the female mage, Beryl stood guard as Blaith and his men packed up their supplies.

"You know who I am, but I never did catch your names." Conall looked at the elder woman in particular.

The old woman smiled, "I am Adria and this," she put an arm about the little girl seated next to her, "this is Cicilia. "

The girl was staring at Conall (more specifically, she was staring at his beard).

Conall smiled warmly at the child, "Hello, Cicilia. Nice to meet you."

"Your beard looks like a bird nest!" The girl blurted out.

Conall choked on his stew.

"Cicilia!" Adria scolded, "That isn't a nice thing to say!"

"But it's true! There are lots of knots and tangles! He needs a brush! "

"I-forgive her, my Lord. She's a child." The old woman apologized, blushing furiously. 

Conall managed to swallow his meal down and shook his head laughing heartily, " It's alright, she is quite right. My hair is a mess. "

visualspice

Katahnia was already awake by the time Conall had the stew handed to him. She was restless and had approached Blaith the moment he had awaken. Too tired and groggy to deal with her, he just let her pass, whatever it was she was bothering him about, and it wasn't until Conall was half way done with his stew did she return.

"They say it's a few days travel down the southern pass. Unfortunately, this will bring us into Belkrath, who are avid supporters of the war. There are even a few mage camps directly in this duchy that were constructed before the ones in the mountains were erected, and a lot of the newer mordecai recruits tend to be focused here."

Shaking her head, she sat beside Conall and stared pensively at the fire, the colors rolling across her face.
"In short, it just means a lot of fast travel- and travel we'll have to be doubly cautious of... considering the only ones traveling through this pass are soldiers and mordecai.. and more mages they are taking tot he camps."

By now, Cicillia had still taken a fancy to Conall's beard, and after a moment when things grew quiet, she drew out a small brush she had been harboring and approached him and offered  it to him sheepishly.

"Here.. for your beard," she said, whispering into his ear.

Katahnia didn't miss it (though she had missed the exchange earlier) as she laughed softly, but stifled it behind a closed smile.

"Yes, he could use a brush," she said with a smile, her eyes sparkling at the child. "Though then again, we all could."

It was then Gavin returned to inform them, "Alright, all of you on your feet. We head towards the pass and should be there within the hour. The instructions are simple, you stay quiet and remain quiet,a nd anyone that breaks it.. well.." he gave a laugh through a sneer. "We'll break your legs and leave you for the animals."
Or the frost.. whichever got them first.

Paradox

Conall nodded, listening intently as he finished his stew. He knew of Belkrath being aligned with the Grand Duke. No surprise that hadn't changed in his absence. He didn't approve of the route choice, but that wasn't his call to make and he wasn't stupid enough to challenge Blaith on every little thing.

He turned to look at her , frowning when she mentioned traveling quickly. He shook his head, but didn't speak his concerns. Kat knew , so did the others. But Blaith and his people didn't care.  These people had been starved, beaten and Blaith expected them to keep pace? He glanced at the Cicilia. The girl wouldn't make it unless someone carried her. He glanced at Lana, and then then at the old woman, Adira.

"I don't doubt it. I think we'll have to help each other when necessary. I won't leave anyone behind." He said calmly and set his empty bowl down.  He  didn't say he wasn't confident that he had the strength for the trip. It didn't matter. They had no choice and he would have to try. 

He noticed that Cicillia had left her seat and made her way around the fire to her. The girl looked a little nervous as she held out the brush to him and told him that it was for his beard.

"Thank you, "Conall accepted it from her with a smile , "Lady Cicilia, you are most kind. " He bowed his head politely in thanks.

The girl blushed and giggled at Katahnia's comment.

Conall whipped his head around to shoot a mock glare, "Indeed, Miss Harmond! I suspect that you-"

Gavin's arrival cut short their conversation, barking orders and making threats.

And when he was finished, Conall leaned in close to Katahnia and whispered, "Charming , lad. "  But didn't risk saying much more than that.

The trek through the mountains was quick and spent largely in silence, but that was an hour that took longer than Conall would have liked. Though he'd slept half the day, he felt as though he hadn't slept at all and kept stumbling over his feet. Only once did he fall to his knees and was helped up by the other mage camp survivors.

At long last, they reached the pass and Gavin ordered Conall and the survivors to take a break while he moved to join Blaith and the other mages. As usual, the female mage, Beryl, was left to guard them.

Conall's legs buckled underneath him and he sat on the ground, closing his eye and making the most of the brief reprieve.

"Conall- "Lana stopped herself, reminding herself that she was speaking to a duke, "Lord Shanley, she amended, "are you alright?"

Conall shook his head ,"Please dispense with the formalities, Lana. You are a friend and we stand on ceremony for no one, least of all me." He held up a hand , "I'm fine." He lied, but it would do no good telling them how weak or ill he felt because Blaith would not give them a break.