Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Once Blaith was out of sight, Katahnia felt herself releasing a held breath before she turned to Conall and gasped as he fell t his knees. Immediately at his side (for she had been helping Cecilia for most of the walk as Conall assured her he'd be fine on his own..) She frowned at him with an 'I told you so' gaze.

"Here, just take your breath while you can," she told him with an irritable sigh as she fussed over a waterskina nd realized- they were almost out. Blinking back her thought,s he handed the skin to him.
"Here, have a drink and reserve your strength. We're in Connlaoth now."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall met that gaze and frowned, his expression clearly saying, " Yes, I know. No need to rub it in. " Then he nodded at her words. He was home, but those words brought him very little comfort when he considered what this truly meant now.  "Now the real journey begins." He said quietly.

When offered the water , he shoved her hand away and replied stubbornly, "Save it for yourself and the others. "

"I'm not thirsty!" Cicilia pipped up. "You can drink my share!"

visualspice

"Conall.." Katahnia pressed with a forced laugh. "Need I remind you..." she said, looking around. "You just collapsed." She moved closer to him, handing the water skin to him once again and as she did so, she rested her hand over his as their eyes met. "And need I remind you we can get more as we move on. I'll let Blaith know, though I'm sure even they are low on supplies."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

"There's lots of snow," Cicilia offered, "You can make water with snow. Did you know that?" She looked quite proud that she had told the adults this.

Conall nodded at the child and accepted the water skin from Katahnia, "I can't argue with that point." He felt her hand move over his and he met her gaze with a weak smile. He lifted the water skin to his lips and proceeded to drink.

"Are you in love?"Cicilia blurted.

Conall's face went whiter than the snow and he choked.

"That's what the prince and princess do in my book, " the eight year old explained, " They hold hands and they kiss."

"Uh...we-we're  friends. Good friends, so I suppose that counts as - well, see it's not quite like that, young lady." Conall chuckled nervously. It was probably better not to try and explain. Actually probably good to just drop the subject in case it got around to Blaith. He hastily preoccupied himself with drinking some more water.

"Why not?"

"Hush, Cilicia. You're making Lord Shanley blush." Adira chided her little charge.

"Oh," Cicilia noted how Conall's face had gone from white to bright pinkish red, "I'm sorry Mister Duke."

Conall finished drinking and shook his head, "No, no . It's quite alright. Quite alright." 

visualspice

"Yes, no need to apologize, little one," Katahnia informed her as she mussed up her hair. "Besides, we're not in love. Just going to get married," she said, tossing Cicilia a wink and then a trolling grin to her new 'lover'.

Cicilia was all giggles as he turned to Adira. Adira then gave Katahnia and Conall a look as she shook her head.
"Adira, does that mean Lady Kat will become a princess if she marries a duke?"

"No, a duchess dear," Adira corrected as she stroked a finger down the young girl's nose.

The girl stared up at her and rubbed at her eyes, replying with a wide mouthed, "Oh." Blinking, she looked back towards the pair and wiped some snot dripping from her nose before grinning and asking, "Can I come to the wedding?"

And Adira responded, "Cicilia!"

And Katahnia laughed.
"Well, if we actually do get married some day, I'll be sure to invite you.You'll be one of the first guests on my list." And at the girl's questioning gaze, Kat informed her, "And I was joking earlier. You just keep to reading your books."

Cicilia gave a blink. "But I lost my book. When they took me to the camp's, they took it from me." And she looked down sadly at her feet.

Paradox

At first Conall found himself nodding in agreement as Katahnia set the child straight on the status of their relationship. Wait. What? Conall's face flushed a darker shade of red, "Miss Harmond! Honestly, it is highly inappropriate to toy -" He was ready to scold her about toying with a child's mind like that when he caught her grin and also remembered that there WAS a young child present. He bit his tongue and amended his tone, "Miss Harmond, " he said in more friendly manner and with a smile , "you are quite the tease. Well played, well played indeed. "

He turned to Cicilia who looked absoloutely confused. Adults were so weird! "Perhaps, Miss Harmond might be able to persuade them to relinquish said book to you IF you agree to behave like a proper lady for the remaineder of the trip, hm?"

Cicilia blinked and stared at Conall, her expression wrinkling with concern, "But Mister Duke Conall..."

Conall couldn't help but smile at the way she fumbled over addressing him. Kids could be adorable like that sometimes!   

"I don't know how. " She looked to Katahnia.

"Well, that's no trouble at all. Just don't look to her for advice. "

Cicilia frowned at him and then gasped when she realized what he was implying, " That's not a very nice thing to say!"

visualspice

Their moment was short lived when Blaith returned, a few men at his side.
"There's a small city, due west of here. If we travel quick, we can get there before night fall, resupply... and then, well, that should be the end of our journey. You can all figure out your own ways home from there." And then, as he looked around to the lot of them, he gave a slight, sneer of a smile and reminded them, "Welcome back to Connlaoth." And wasn't it a bloody nice country?

Catching his cousin's eyes, who were glaring back at him, he stared back at her questionably before approaching her and.. Conall.
"What is that look for, dear cousin?" he asked smartly, and Katahnia set her jaw.

"You know what, Blaith. You still treat the people you freed like animals. They're not cattle, but humans."

Blaith rolled his eyes, "I'm well aware of that, but it's been tiring to drag them along. Besides, they'd do better on their own."

"With what provisions, Blaith? Are you forgetting they have nothing? No sort of money, supplies or food to see them through? It's still cold up here, in Northern Belkrath, and though it might be warmer further south in the country, there are still women and children..."

Blaith's sigh cut through her words as Katahnia grew repulsed, and silent.

"Dear cousin, I know you want to save all of Connlaoth, but this is a bloody war..."

"Yes, but not a massacre, Blaith. You forget, these people are on your side."

Paradox

It only surprised Conall that Blaith was seemingly turning everyone loose, including himself. Surely, it couldn't be so easy. It seemed rather odd after the conversation they'd had the other day.

"What if I assumed responsibility for them ? "  Conall interjected, turning his gaze on Blaith ,  " I have nowhere to go and I have quite a bit of catching up to do with the current events. I know the area fair enough. I could probably figure out a way to get them home safely or at least find a place for them to settle into for awhile so they might recuperate from the hardships they've endured. "

visualspice

"No," Blaith cut in - cutting both him a look that both startled and surprised Katahnia.

"Baith?"

"No... you can't have them come with you," he began to explain, his eyes going from his cousin's back to Conall. "Because you both are coming with me."

Paradox

Inwardly, Conall was surprised and irritated, but he chose to wait and listen to what Lord Harmond had to say before letting his protest be voiced. He forced his expression to its usual "noble impassiveness" and quirked a brow curiously at the duke of Turgall.

What in Ansgar's name is his problem now?

And then Blaith declared that Conall was going with him. This didn't surprise him, actually and were he Blaith he would have declared the same. It was best to keep your allies close and your enemies closer. Blaith didn't consider him an ally despite their pleasantries. I am to be held on a tight leash? No surprise there.

Conall put a hand lightly on Katahnia's arm, " Then I suppose it is best that we part ways. I'm sure they're eager to be home. At least allow us to say goodbye." If they even have homes or families to return to.

He knew that he was in no position to challenge the man because, in a way , he needed him. For now. 

visualspice

Blaith didn't miss the hold on Katahnia's arm- and as jealousy held onto him tightly, he simply nodded.

"You have ten minutes. I'll alert the men. Then we press on."
And as Blaith turned to leave, Katahnia shot Conall a look, one that asked a thousand questions that couldn't come off her tongue quick enough, so she resorted to simply blurting,
"So you're just going to accept this?" But then, as her temper cooled,s eh sighed irrtably and shook her head. "Though I suppose we haven't much choice." She glanced after Blaith, as her cousin stole a look back towards them. And it made her shiver all the more. "I don't like that look Blaith gives me sometimes," she murmured. "There's a madness to him that we've seen- and it seemed to have faded during our journey south but now I... I can't help but worry of it's coming back. Or... when it will.." and instinctively she moved to step nearer to Conall, but her eyes were glued to Blaith.

Paradox

Conall met her gaze , his impassiveness melting into something a little more human, "And what would you have me do," his voice tensed to the point of nearly snapping , but he shook his head, " believe me, if I had any sort of choice in the matter I would take care of them myself. Ansgar knows that I owe them as much and more."

He relaxed , however , when she cooled down. At her observations about Blaith, he nodded. "His eyes are unsettling and his mood is quite unstable. Trust that when I agreed with him, I wasn't doing it for him or us. I honestly think that the further Lana, Cicillia and Adira are from him, the better off they'll be."

visualspice

Katahnia nodded her head in agreement, and when Blaith wasn't looking, she leaned in closely to his side and buried her head into his neck.
"Gods.. Conall... what is to become of them? Of us?" she shook her head, not liking this as she drew in a careful breath, though he would be able to easily hear her fighting off tears.
"Come.."s he said, lifting herself from his shoulders as she brushed away a few tears. "Let us say our goodbyes."

Paradox

What is to become of us? There's never any way of knowing that. Life is full of uncertainties and never more so than now when we're at the whim of madmen. 

He put a comforting arm around Katahina and held her tight, but never letting his gaze leave Blaith. If the man caught them being too friendly with one another, he didn't imagine it would bode well. Already , they were testing the waters.

"We'll be fine," Conall assured her quietly, "Ansgar will protect us." Sometimes his faith wavered though because no amount of prayers and devotion to his God seemed to do much. It was as though Ansgar had completely turned his back on Connlaoth and was allowing his own children to burn in their own sins. He shook his head, his thoughts brought back to the present by Katahnia's next words. He simply nodded and walked with her over to where Lana, Cicilia, Adira and the young man, whose name he had come to find out was Boyd.

"Hello Mister Duke." Cicilia greeted.

"Hello, Lady Cicilia, " Conall replied warmly.

"We heard." Lana informed him, " So, I guess this is farewell then."

Conall nodded, "Unfortunately, it's for the best. I'd recommend sticking together for a time. I wish I could recommend to you a safe direction to travel. I haven't been home in a year, maybe more. I'm sorry , but these men cannot be reasoned with."

Lana put a hand on his shoulder, her expression soft and her gaze understanding, "You did what you could, Lord Shanley, and we will never forget that. Thank you."

"Can I still come to your wedding? " Cicillia blurted. Apparently, Katahnia's earlier jest sailed way over the child's head.

"Cicilia!" Adira chided .

Conall's face went white as a sheet and his head snapped around to look back over his shoulder to see if anyone was listening, namely Blaith.

"You can keep my brush, but you better use my brush so you can be a pretty husband!" Cicilia beamed.

Conall's gaze returned to the girl and then he looked over at Katahina , "Pretty husband? What are they teaching girls these days?"

visualspice

Katahnia laughed, but even she was still uneasy in the moment as she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and then moved forward to kneel before Cicilia.
"Don't worry, when we get married, you won't just be invited, Cicilia, but you can be the flower girl."

And Cicilia's eyes grew as wide as saucers, though by the tone in Katahnia's voice- there was no ounce of joking there.

"Really?" and as Katahnia nodded, the young girl threw her arms around her and hugged her tight, then rushed over to Adira, "Did you hear that? I get to be a flower girl in their wedding!" And as she tugged excitedly on Adira's dress, she paused a moment to inquire, "What's a flower girl?"

Paradox

Conall opened his mouth to say something ,but snapped it shut . It would have been cruel to crush a little girl's happiness. But, really, it wasn't appropriate to lie about such things! In spite of it all, a smile pulled reluctantly at his lips and he chuckled when Cicillia asked what a flower girl was.

"I suppose, " Conall said quite seriously, " that you have quite a bit of research to do then, young lady. And I recommend consulting Lana or Adira about the matter and not the books with the pretty husbands in them."

"I like my books," Cicillia giggled," You should have long pretty golden hair and long eyelashes and big white teeth that sparkle like diamonds and pretty clothes with emeralds and rubies and sapphires! And a white horse!"

Conall pouted, " I don't have any of those things. Well, we do have white horses ,but mine is brown."

"That's because you don't have a fairy mom."

"I beg your pardon, a...what? " Conall stared at the girl and looked utterly confused, "I...uh..suppose that makes sense." It really didn't , but he doubted that Cicillia could explain it to him!

Really, what were they teaching girls these days?

visualspice

Katahnia smiled and moved forward to hug Adira then, then Lana, saying goodbye to her took the longest.
"I don't know how to thank you. You've helped us so muhc, I don' tknow how we would have survived without you."

Lana only smirked and stated, "You can repay me by inviting me to the wedding,.." and she gave both of them a playful grin. "But you all take care of yourselves, you here? There's a war going on... we are all lucky we've survived this far- nobles or not."

Katahnia flattened her lips and nodded.
"Yes, and each breath we take, a gift." She took Lana by the hand and squeezed it. "Take care, my friend. And may all the Gods smile down upon us in blessing."

And Lana curtsied to that. "May we all be blessed by our own Gods."

Paradox

Boyd held out his hand and grinned at Conall, " It was an honor meeting you, Duke Shanley.  I always thought you nobles were all the same, but you're alright. "

Conall reached forward and gripped the man's hand firmly and shook it, " Thank you."

Adira approached him next, crushing him in a hug, "May Ansgar guard your steps. Take good care of yourself, dearie. "

"And you as well."

Cicillia gave him a hug next ,"Don't forget your promise! You can't pick another flower girl! Okay? "

Conall smiled down at her,  "Oh ,I don't suspect that Miss Harmond would allow it. You need not fret. "He patted her on the shoulder lightly.

Last of all Lana finished her farewell to Kat and then approached the man and hugged him tightly, "I get to go home and tell everyone how I got to hug a Duke," Lana teased.

Conall blushed, "I think it may be in your best interest to not talk about me. It could bring you some trouble."

"It was a jest," Lana chuckled and released him from the hug. She took a step back and smiled at him fondly, "Farewell, Conall Shanley. Perhaps we'll meet again." 

Then she stepped forward, moving in close and whispered something in Conall's ear which made his face blush the darkest shade of red and left him speechless. She stepped away and grinned devilishly at him. 

Farewells aside, the group moved westward in silence, leaving the Kilanthros far behind. When the group reached the city at last, they parted with Lana and the surviving mage camp refugees following her one way and Blaith , his men, Katahnia and Conall going in another.

While Blaith's men left to collect supplies, Conall approached Blaith, "So what is the plan? Katahnia and I- we don't exactly appear ...normal. To put it bluntly, we both look like we escaped fresh out of a prison and that could draw some undesirable attention."

visualspice

Blaith looked the pair over.
"We can get the two of you cleaned up, but no one would question you if you were a pair of servants."

"Servants!?" Katahnia could have hit her cousin. "Really- is that what you'd-"

"Calm down, Kat," Blaith said with a laugh. "Besides, I'm a duke. You'd have to look better than that." And he looked the two over with a shake of his head. "We'll get the pair of you cleaned up once we get more properly situated in town, though we don't want to seem too conspicuous, so it might be wise to remain traveling 'rough' until we get out of Belkrath. After all, I really have no business here, but perhaps if we made a trip to Hellvion before heading south, but that seems out of the way." He shrugged at the thought before sighing. "You know.. you two are being quite the burdens.."

"Yes, well, sometimes family does that," Katahnia cut in, surprised to find her cousin smirking back. It was almost as if he was his old self again...
maybe he wasn't all lost?

Paradox

"We look a little more like slaves and less like servants, but fair enough, " Conall had been treated worse in prison and in the mage camp. He smiled a little at Katahnia's bold outburst.Sometimes the woman knew no fear and that was a quality that he admired even when those outbursts could possibly get them into trouble.

Conall turned to Katahnia when Blaith mentioned her having to look better than what she was. He dare not speak his mind though he thought she hardly looked bad at all. Not that he'd forgotten what she looked like cleaned up and dressed to impress high society.

He chuckled quietly at the further exchange betwixt the cousins and let his eyes wander to the south, his eyes settling on nothing in particular and silently praying for Lana and the other's safety.

(( And that's a wrap! I guess we'll start a new thread in Connlaoth since that's where they are now. ))