Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Katahnia gave him a sympathetic smile.
"Alright, Conall," she said, pressing her lips together as she smiled. Then with a nod, she leaned into him as the pair began to make their way out into the cold courtyard, and then up the winding, crumbling spiraling stairs of the watch tower. Her eyes examined the bones upon the ground, and after mis-stepping ontop of one, she gasped and fell once again against Conall, but thankfully this time she was already leaning against him as she clutched onto him for support. Her heart was racing in her chest as she sighed. "By the Gods.." she frowned. "You were right. There are a lot of bones here." And she studied them. "Old bones. I wonder how long ago the fight in this tower was?"

Or.. what for.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall shrugged, " I'd like to think old enough so that whatever trouble found them may be long away from this place. Though it was a curious thing that I found no human remains inside the castle itself. It would have made a better fortification for a siege than a tower like this." He looked down at her, still feeling uncomfortable to have someone clinging to him like so. It wasn't necessarily a bad feeling, he considered, but it felt ...strange because of its newness. Similar to the feelings he'd had when his mother was near but not. This was a strange woman and perhaps this was why it felt ....sort of peculiar, awkward.

And he wasn't used to being relied on like this. He didn't take pleasure in Katahnia's misfortune ,but it was nice to know that he could actually physically do something for someone rather than issue orders for someone else to do such things for him. Not that he was much of an idle Duke...Conall rather preferred to do most things for himself whenever he had the opportunity.

Just below the top of the tower there was a small space that was large enough to accommodate them and perhaps another two people. Above them was the roof and a hatch door that led to the very top of the tower, and to their left the stairs narrowly wound back down. Conall helped Katahnia to ease herself down and sit leaning against the tower's wall. He removed his pack and opened it up, taking out the blanket and wrapping her in it tightly. He took the helmet out that still had snow in it, partially melted by the fire's warmth and set that down next to her along with his dagger and some dried fish. "In case you get hungry. I'll be back. I need to barricade the door with something. " He informed her and left her side, running down the stairs to deal with the door.

He righted the door as best he could and shoved a large weapon shelving rack infront of it. There wasn't much else to use . Had there been anything, it must have been taken long ago by thieves. Only the bones remained.

He went back up the stairs and took a seat for a moment. He looked about ready to fall over from exhaustion. So hungry...he eyed the fish but said nothing about that. He would have let her have it if she were hungry enough. "I'll get up top in a moment . I just need to...sit. For a moment."

He felt worse than he looked.

visualspice

Although weak and exhausted herself, Katahnia was no fool.
"You should stay here and rest. I can keep watch while you do. After all, you've been doing most of the work here, I feel guilty."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall shook his head and smiled, "No. I'll be fine. I just want to-" he yawned and settled back against the wall, closing his eyes. "just ....rest for...a moment." He felt himself slipping away so quickly. He shouldn't have allowed himself a reprieve. Because he found himself losing against one of the most basic needs of the body.

His mind shut down and he blacked out, his body slumping forward and over until his torso collapsed over poor Kat and his face smashed up against her chest.

Had he been conscious he would have been mortified.

visualspice

Despite the awkwardness of the position, Katahnia smirked. It was nice having him close. She wrapped the blanket around him and shared his warmth, shivering as she settled in for a long, cold watch. It was still daylight, but the sun was already beginning to set. Conall had barely been asleep a few hours when she noticed movement against the trees. Straining her eyes against the dusk-approaching shadows, she left Conall's side to peer out more easily from the tower window. And it was as she feared. There was a group of men on horse back heading straight their way. Sucking in a breath, she turned back around to Conall and gently shook him.

"Lord Shanely.. wake up."s he pressed, and kept on shaking him. "There are men approaching." And she held her breath, sucking in her lower lip. "Men on horse back, coming straight this way."

Paradox

He resisted his awakening at first, pushing her hand away from him and mumbling something about giving him another hour. Just one more. He was warm and comfortable and...the damned woman kept shaking him.

"Mother, stop it. I'll be ready for the corona-" He was shaken abruptly into full wakefulness now. His eyes shot open, blood-shot and green, with great dark rings beneath them. They widened a bit and focused on a soft, but only slightly familiar face. "Kahtahnia? Ansgar! I fell asleep?! Why didn't you- "

She interrupted him , her tone urgent. He shot up suddenly and went over to one of the narrow windows to look outside. "There they are," he watched about half their number dismount and head inside the castle. "I think I could easily take out a couple of them from here, but that'll alert them to our location. On the other hand, it leaves us less to deal with...either way, they'll come here and find us eventually. If I could thin their numbers before they get here, it might give us a better chance, don't you think?"

visualspice

Katahnia pressed her lips together, thinking it over. "Maybe not.. what if we set a foil?" she said, setting her hand upon his. "What if we fired from this tower, but another one of us hid in the other?" She gestured to the opposing side of the courtyard. "That way, as the men come in aiming to storm the tower, the second one of us could flank them at their rear."
Though her suggestion held strength, the women leaning against the window did not.
"I could stay here." she suggested. "I know how to use a bow. I could draw them to the tower and... well, you could flank them from behind. It's either that, or we wait.. perhaps they might not ever check this tower?"
Though even she knew better than to think their luck could come to that.

Paradox

"Yes, but the distance between the two towers is...quite a distance.  I need something closer than that. Ah. I think I have it. " He pointed out the abandoned horse stables located at midpoint betwixt the tower itself and the castle. "If I keep close to the buildings and move quickly, they probably won't notice me. "

"If you're confident enough with your aim, " Conall didn't want to sound skeptical , but he couldn't help himself. He came from a people who did not let their women entertain such activities. Men were the warriors, the hunters. To think that a woman would engage in such an activity, even archery...well, it was..unorthodox. Not that he thought women were incapable or that they shouldn't practice such a fine art. As an archer himself, he rather enjoyed the sport and it was too fine a thing not to be enjoyed by anyone who developed a passion for it. He felt the same for quite a few other activities that he practiced.

"I know the options are limited. Just understand , I merely express my concern. A bow is best left in the hands of a skilled archer. If you are, "he slid the quiver from his shoulder and held it up along with his bow, " take it. I trust your decision."

Not that he had much choice. "I only have thirteen arrows left. So make them count."

ooc: Feel free to skip ahead a bit? xD Just pausing in case you wanted to add something.

visualspice

Katahnia smiled.
"I should be fine. I've learned a thing or two about archery from my father, and.. from .." she hesitated over the word. "A friend." She peered out into the shadows and pressed her chapped lips together. "I'll make them count."

Snow had begun to fall as they were moving into position, and her body began to sweat. Now that the men were off their horses, they travelled a lot slower. But she held off, practicing her aim and steadying her arm. She felt sore all over, but had enough strength to make this work. She just hoped she could use some of her reserve energies on magic, but even that was uncertain. THirteen arrows...
Yes, they had to count.

As the men neared the wall, she knew she had only a few more seconds before they'd be out of range. So taking careful aim, she drew back her arm, and let loose a breath, along with the arrow. the first shot sunk into it's mark, startling the horse she shot on the leg. The men didn't knwo what to make of it, not realizing there was an arrow just yet. So as they worked at calming the horse, she drew in another breath, knocked another arrow and took aim.
This time the arrow hit the man closet to the horse that had found out about the arrow. He had just opened his lips to warn the others when the arrow Katahnia shot came through the back of his head and out through his mouth.

One down. Nine to go.

The man crumpled over, and soon the others were aware what was going on. This time, she meant business. Drawing the bow back and steadying the arrow, she whispered and incantation and the arrow began to glow red with fire. Letting lose the arrow, it sunk into one of the men at the back, and he cried out, his body quickly alighting in flame.

One now injured, hopefully scorching to death.. leaving eight.. and the rest were moving in fast. And she still had ten arrows left.

Paradox

He dropped out the window, hitting the snow in a tumble. He looked up to see where the enemy was just in time to see one of the horses panic, rearing up into the air and throwing of its rider. The man landed in the snow and when he rose to stand , an arrow hit him in the head moments later. He fell again. This time, he wouldn't get back up.

"Wow. Not bad." He mouthed the words.

Maybe he'd end eating his own doubt , but now their enemy was alert and one of the men pointed at the tower , yelling, "Archer in the tower! Over there!"
Conall waited only a few moments more for the men to turn their attentions to the tower. He ran, keeping himself crouched low and circled around to the stables. They'd need to pass his position to reach the tower and so he waited, with dagger gripped so tightly in hand.

He heard them draw nearer. They were moving quickly, "Split up! We're easier targets clumped together like this, you idiots! Use the buildings as cover and get out of their line of sight!"

The men were passing his position and Conall tensed, getting ready to strike when one man screamed. Perhaps another arrow had found its mark? Didn't matter. The panic and confusion served him. He charged out from his hiding place and saw that one of the men had caught fire. He almost lost his nerve, but barreled into one of the startled mercenaries ,slashing his opponent's unprotected throat. The mercenary went down face first in the snow and Conall knew he couldn't hesitate now that he had the attention of at least four men.
Conall whirled around in time to see a man running at him. He narrowly sidestepped a sword's thrust aimed for his gut, and slashed out with his own dagger. The blade sliced into the mercenary's sword shoulder and he snarled , bashing his head forward into Conall's. The noble saw stars, and staggered back and another man came at him, slashing at his back with an axe. Conall spun around and threw his dagger. It hit the axe-wieldier between the eyes and the man fell over , dead.

"Come now, is that the best you can do? Pathetic!" Conall shouted purposefully to draw attention to himself as much as possible. He could distract them and Kat would have a clear shot . However, he was aware that a handful of men had continued moving toward the tower, ignoring him completely because they were far enough away.

visualspice

Moving into position at the other window, she spotted four men rushing after Conall. Steadying the bow,s he drew back another arrow, taking careful aim. SHe knew she had some time to spare before any men would be able to trek up the towers spiraling staircase. Keeping herself calm, her eyes focused, she let loose another arrow, but it only sunk into the snow beside the man's feet... all the while a second arrow joined it, but this one lodged into Conall's leg.

Her eyes widened and she looked around. Who was the other archer? Then she noticed a man at the wall. Hidden well. She grit her teeth and took aim, all the while she began to hear men rushing up the steps, echoing her way. Her heart beat was beating inside her ears, but she tried to calm herself, drawing in a breath and aimed. It would be tricky, but she had to get him. Another arrow went sailing..
Another miss. Nd this time, the other archer disappeared into the shadows.

Paradox

The arrow that pierced his thigh made him somewhat. He looked around for the archer but didn't see him. He could only pray Katahnia would deal with them because he still had three men within his immediate range to contend with . He bent quickly to grab for the fallen axe-wielder's weapon. It felt heavy and awkward in his hands. He wasn't trained with such a weapon nor had he ever used one to harvest lumber. He lifted the weapon just in time to deflect a slicing sword though with the axe-head.

"Stand down, " his current opponent growled and , "you're outnumbered."
"I think not. I won't be talked down just so it makes my death more convenient for you. You want to get paid? Then work for it!"

Conall swung the axe in a horizontal arc, but his movements with the weapon were slow and clumsy. His opponent easily evaded and stepped in the moment the axe arm left Conall open. His sword cut down vertically, but Conall dropped the axe and narrowly evaded the danger of losing an arm. It still found his right shoulder .

Conall's left arm shot out, catching the man hard across the jaw and sending his head whipping back from the impact. The mercenary lost grip on his weapon and the sword fell, landing point first into the snow. Conall went to grab for the hilt, but now another mercenary had closed in on him with sword slicing in, likely aiming to decapitate. Conall ducked that but lost his balance, falling on his back.

The swordsman closed in and moved to stab down. Desperate, Conall grabbed a fistful of hard snow (more like ice ) and flung it at the man's face. It did the trick , causing the man to hesitate and grab at his stinging eye with his free hand. Conall kicked the man between the legs then kicked again with his good leg, boot connecting with the man's torso and sending him staggering back.
Conall rolled back up to his feet and grabbed up the abandoned sword, narrowly missing an arrow that pierced the snow beside the weapon. "Come on , Katahnia. "

visualspice

OOC: Ok, six men left. They can do this 8D
---------

The sounds of footsteps were getting closer. They were already half way there as Katahnia's eyes cleaved through the shadow, heart racing. The archer wasn't stupid, where had he gone? And with a frown, she realized she had to abandon her mission on him to tend the men rushing her way. Three of them had taken watch, one remaining at the bottom of the tower, hand on his daggers, the other two, armed and ready. The one in the front had his cross bow out, ready to penetrate, while the one behind him carried a short, curved sword at the ready against his arm.

But the men weren't the only one's ready, Katahnia made sure to remain behind the doorway, arrow already knocked. Though she had set up blankets to amke it appear as if someone was still at the window, so when the foot steps were nearly upon her she pulled back her arm, held in a breath, and the moment a man raced in past her- she let loose.
He choked out his breath, stumbling down to the floor and grabbed a hold of his gut around the arrow, all the while his partner stumbled over him, but caught himself right quick and gave one turn to Kathania, cutting the sword towards her head.

Paradox

Two men down, but not quite out. One man was left standing and three, at least, had bypassed him. Conall considered running after them but he knew that his leg wouldn't allow him to reach them in time....not before the ones behind got to him. He could not risk leaving his back exposed . She'd have to take care of herself or hold out for as long as it took him to settled with these three.

Conall tested the sword. It was a light enough weapon . Not quite the sort he was accustomed to. He preferred a rapier, but this was light enough and graceful enough to compliment his own fluid , quick-moving combat style. And the man approaching him seemed to understand this as he approached with a great deal more caution than the others had.

Conall eyed the approaching man then noticed the downed swordsman rising to his feet, slowly. Conall turned and plunged the sword down , piercing through the man's chest . The man gasped and  collapsed back down onto the snow, dead.

As he was pulling his sword free, the last mercenary standing made his move, thrusting for Conall's unprotected back which Conall narrowly evaded by throwing himself into a forward roll that had him tumbling sloppily over a corpse and as his boots made contact with the snow again and he forced himself to stand up, he turned in time to parry the next attack as his foe lunged for him. They exchanged one blow after blow, their swordsmanship much like the art of dance. Both swordsman were quite skilled and determined to beat one another through skill rather than deceitful tactics. Or so it seemed.

The archer appeared again and took aim. It struck its target through, hitting Conall in the back close to the shoulder blade. Had Conall not been moving so much , it would have been a headshot.

Conall nearly lost his grip on his sword , a shock of pain thrilling through him. He shook himself and parried another attack.

I'd really appreciate it if she'd kill that archer before I become a walking pincushion!

visualspice

Clutching onto the bow, Katahnia ducked beneath his attack and made a dash for the steps, but found herself stumbling halfway down, her legs buckling and soon she was on her knees. ANd the sworded man just behind her. But he hadn't been prepared for her to fall, so when he rounded the bend, Katahnia put all of her efforts into her hands and pushed herself in his direction, and at just hte right moment, her body collided with his legs, and the man tripped over her, and went tumbling down the steps. Gritting her teeth, the cracking noises he made.. surely he could not survive. Panting, she looked up the steps and pressed herself against the wall. SHould she go back up there, or down below, to see how Connall was fairing? Her heart was racing a million miles a minute, and before she could decide, she had a cross-bow aimed at her head.

Paradox

Their dance seemed to have no end, though Conall felt himself tiring out. The other man felt it too and pressed forward with renewed vigor. Conall could now barely keep up with the man's offensive. His legs ached, his back, his side...he was tired , hungry....he tried to focus but it was gradually becoming more difficult.

He parried again.

"Not bad," the mercenary grinned at him, not speaking the words but Conall was sure the man was confident in his victory, " not bad for an old man."
"Old man?! " Conall felt insulted. Did he really look THAT old? He was aware that he looked a bit...wild , but old? OLD!
Smug bastard.

"It's been fun, pops, but I'm starting to get bored now. Maybe I'll have a go with the little slut before I spread her open and make her bleed all over the-"
Conall found an opening in the man's offensive and took a chance. He shifted feinted low then slashed high, blade sweeping in a blinding upward arc that took the other man's head clean off.

"Old man...the nerve." Conall spat on the mercenary's head as it hit the snow and rolled by. The body fell seconds after.

He turned to look back over his shoulder, wondering how Katahnia was holding up. He  ran for the tower, slightly limping. He found the door he had barricaded forced open, the shelving that had been blocking it torn aside. Well, so much for THAT.

"Ansgar! I hope I'm not too late!" He entered the tower, hurried up the steps. He nearly tripped over the body of a man that lay in a broken heap midway there and continued up...

Nearing the top of the steps he encountered the bowman that now had Kathania cornered. "Take another step and I'll shoot the bitch. Right through her pretty little skull."

Conall didn't slow his charge and with sword leading, he thrust the blade through the man's back. It sliced right through like a knife through warm butter, bursting out the front of his chest in a spray of blood that splashed the front of Katahnia.

The bowman stared at Katahnia with wide, disbelieving eyes. His trembling lips uttered but one word in a shuddering, bloody breath, "Damn." He collapsed to his knees and then slid to the floor , leaning against the wall with his eyes forever wide open.

"Are you alright?" Conall yanked the bloody blade from the dead man's chest (ooc: OH HO HO HO! See what I did there?) and glanced over at her. "Apologies. A few managed to slip past me. I think there might be a couple left somewhere, but I didn't see them...."

Maybe they ran off with their tail between their legs?  Or....they were around and rethinking their strategy.

visualspice

There was a laugh down below the pair, before Katahnia even had a chance to reply.

"You make my job too easy," said a man, eye patch over one eye, bastard sword in had and a crossbow casually pointed at the both of them. "Now.." he gestured with a nod up of his head. "Weapons down and follow me, nice and easy like out of hte tower."

Katahnia glanced over to Conall, and apologie in her eyes. It seemed the man lurking in the shadows had found them, with his bow string slung over his back. Or, it was just another lucky bastard out of hte group. Though this one seemed to be apart their age, with wild dark hair and beard and a mean smile on his lips.

But then as she stared at Conall, she got an idea, and her eyes pleaded with him. Yes,.. she ahd a plan. If they got out of hte tower, she migh tbe able to use some of her magic, but in here..
Even Conall might fry to death.

Paradox

"Come up and try your luck, coward!" Conall taunted the man. "This tower is too narrow for you to take more potshots at me from where you stand. Looks like you're going to have to face me as a man should. Face to face. If you're lacking a real weapon, I'll wait. Feel free to procure a sword from the corpses of your friends outside."

"You wanna play it that way, eh? That's fine. I got all night, asshole. You and the bitch can freeze up there and the moment you fall asleep, I'll cut off your fucking heads and mount 'em on my wall after I collect my reward. OR, you could come down like a good little dog and maybe I'll spare you."

Conall met Katahia's eyes. What could they do? The other man was probably better rested and capable of a little patience. "He's just a man. " Conall said in a low voice to her as he laid down his sword and held up his empty hands.
Yes. Just a man who had the upper hand in this situation,for the time being.
"Hurry up before I change my mind!"

Conall took the first couple steps. "I'll go first. "He told her gently and then in a louder voice, "You win. I'm coming down." He limped down the stairs and held out his hands to show he carried nothing. He was searched roughly anyway. He had no other weapons and the man roughly shoved him aside. "Don't go anywhere or she dies. "

You were going to kill her before anyway. Conall did as he was told, knowing that the man wasn't bluffing.

"Get down here, bitch!" The merc snapped at Katahnia.

visualspice

Katahnia slowly stood to rise, pressing her weight against the wall and moving slowly, step by step down the staircase, wincing the entire way. At least by now she could walk, despite how she had been found barely a few hours ago where she was barely alive. Was it even half a day ago since? She couldn't tell, and byt he time she made it to the end of the tower staircase, it was almost night time outside, the evening sun being short.

A wind from the east picked up, fluttering a cold chill from the darkness of where it came. She kept her green eyes upon the man with the crossbow, and glnced to his sword, then over at Conall, but she said nothing. She was barely a few feet out when the map snapped up his weapon, and simply shot Katahnia in the gut without reserve. Her eyes went wide. The attackw as wholly unexpected. And then the cross bow then snapped at her face.

"And now time to die, bitch." But before he had a chance to fire, she ducke dout of hte way just in time, the second bolt whizzing through her hair as she whispered a word, and grabbed onto the man and held tight to his clothes, and suddenly, they lit up in flames.

The man let out a scream, Katahnia dropped to the floor, and he began to flail his arms about. Wincing, Katahnia clutched onto her wound, only able to look up with one eye..
God there as so much blood.
She was breathing heavy. Had he hit a lung?
She had to act fast, she felt herself fading away..
No, no no..s he couldn't die here..
She couldn't leave her daughter not to know her mother..... her daughter, her child.

She had to make it, she had to survive.
And with a scream, she snapped the bolt in half, then threw it aside, herbody tensing, trembling before she grabbed the other end, and ewith a grunt, pushed it through, before she spilled over into the snow, blood oozing out beneath her, staining what was once white, red.

Paradox

He shot her. No hesitation. Just shot her. "NO!" Conall cried out, ready to lash out at the man. What did it matter now? He knew he was next. He was ready to lunge at the man who had killed Katahnia, but moments after the mercenary made his declaration of finishing her off, his clothing went up in a blaze and he ran past Conall, shrieking in agony and flailing about. Conall stared at Katahnia wide-eyed. Had she...? What other explanation was there? None. Yet again his fear of magic was only reinforced by this horrifying instance.

The burning man threw his body into the snow, rolling around in it to douse the flames but it did little good. After a good few seconds more, the flames consumed him and left little more than a blackened corpse.

Conall shook his fear off and went over to his injured companion, "Katahnia?! " Ansgar ! She didn't look so good. He had to treat her injuries. Immediately. "Hold on. I'll be right back." He went back to the tower, running as fast as he could manage back up the tower to collect his pack. He wasn't gone longer than a couple minutes. Returning to her side, he knelt down and gathered her up into his arms. Not without feeling a considerable amount of pain, but he forced his mind away from that to other things.

He carried her back to the castle , returning to the room he'd found her in before and laid her down near the quenched fire. He frantically dumped the contents out of his pack onto the floor and grabbed his medical kit. He was running low. There wasn't enough for the two of them.

He lifted her tunic to reveal the wound. He removed his furs and , tore off one of his sleeves from his shirt. He used that to press against the wound, soaking up the blood. And there was a lot of that. Once the cloth was thoroughly soaked he tore away his other sleeve and used that, pressing it over the bloodied one. He removed a glove from one hand and pressed his fingers to her neck, feeling for the pulse and for her breath. He wasn't sure if he was even taking all of the proper steps to treat an arrow wound. He's only ever seen such a procedure performed a handful of times. Most of them when he was younger and his brother had accidentally shot another boy while hunting.

Ooc: I'll let you decide how bad off she is. XD