Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Katahnia knew the wounds were bad, and could barely utter a sound due to the pain. By the time she was taken back to the castle, she was barely conscious, though when he began to work on her wounds, her eyes slowly opened and she stared at him through blonde lashes. Then... saying nothing but a single breath, she pressed a hand to her open wound.

"It.. it's b-bad,"s he sputtered out, even talking exhorted much effort that hurt her greatly. She was shaking, blood still bubblig from her wound from behind the make shift bandage. She shook her head "I.. I can heal myself, but I'll be asleep. for many days please.." and here, she gripped onto his arm.

"I have a child. She's up North. In Bellkrath," her eyes wavered. "If something happens.. please.. go to the duchy in Turgall, I.. er.." she doubled over in the pain. "Inquire about me, the servants know who I am. If I die.. please.. tell the child I had loved her, even though I had barely known her.. and if I live.."S he winced again. "Please see ove rmy body as I sleep." THen she faltered again. "Her father.. he.. his name is Cauwyn." She smiled weakly in recollection of his name. "We were to marry." But hse left out the rest.

ad before he could protest, a powerful bright light emanated from her hand, and she felt as if hse were in ecstasy, smiling at the blinding light before she faded away, dreaming of nothing but white.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

"Don't talk like that!" How many times had he heard speeches similar to this one? How many times had he seen a life slip away before his eyes? Family, friends, strangers...he'd seen more than enough. He'd listened to her though. So she had family ? Child and a lover.  She was...younger than he was , but he shouldn't have been so surprised. He was  the late one in that department.

Of course he'd make the journey and deliver the news  if...but he wouldn't accept the loss of her. He'd fought too hard to just give up now. He shook his head,  " You're not going to die," He told her, "you were shot in the abdomen. There are far worse places to take an arrow," he kept the pressure applied directly to the wound. " All I need do is halt the bleeding. Just give me a moment..."

When she tried to heal herself, he wanted to smack her but she passed out before any magic could begin to take any real affect. Though it may have aided in cutting back some of the blood flow. The light flared up then blinked out just as quickly. "Katahnia? " She didn't respond. He felt her pulse again and was relieved to feel the beat of her heart through the veins, and feel her shallow breathing. There was still hope but time was not his ally. He would need to work swiftly. Not just for her, but also for himself.

It took time, but he managed to stop the bleeding and when he finished applying the healing salve and wrapping her torso up with material torn from his pant leg, he sat back and assessed his own wounds. He took a deep breath and...took care of the arrow wounds first.  Then the shoulder...

It wasn't the best work. He was no medic, but it would have to do. He'd used nearly everything he had up on Katahnia.   He wrapped her up snugly in blankets and when his work was finished he stood up with the intention of looting the corpses and scouting the castle grounds for more trouble had there been any , but he collapsed and blacked out. 

When he woke up again, it was daylight. Conall sat up stiffly from his place on the floor. He remained still, feeling a bit less tired than before but cold. Ansgar! He'd forgotten to wrap himself up. He was only lucky nothing had frozen and fallen off!

He looked over his shoulder to find Kat lying there, still bundled up. She looked so still. Was she dead? He went over to her to check. No. Just sleeping. He felt her forehead and then felt his throat. It felt so dry and scratchy. Thirsty.
He left Katahnia's side and grabbed up his furs and drew them over himself, heading out into the courtyard to gather whatever he could from the corpses and reclaim his bow. He returned little more than a half of an hour later , but made multiple trips.

Looting the corpses supplied him with fresh clothing, weapons, packs containing some food,  alcohol,  Connlaothian coin, even a map. Medical materials even. However , the supplies were probably good enough for a week at best.  And...there were horses. A few hadn't bolted, the injured horse Kat had shot being one of them. Conall calmed them and brought with him, securing them in the abandoned stable before he returned to the castle.

He got a fire going again and allowed himself some time for rest , watching over his sleeping companion as she'd requested. He stared at what little food there was left. He needed to eat. So did she, but if he had no energy left to hunt for either of them....they'd both starve. Conall grabbed the dried, salted fish and ate it. Katahnia might have to do without if she woke before he'd managed to catch a hare or ptarmigan.  He considered eating the apple he'd offered Kat earlier as well, but decided to save it.

Meal concluded, he went back to sleep again for a few hours more. Woke up, checked on his charge and went back to sleep again.

Days went by and their supplies dwindled. Kat woke a few times, briefly, and Conall saw to her needs. Whatever they might have been and without complaint.

This pattern continued for little over a week and as Katahnia started feeling better, Conall found himself feeling...worse though tried not to let it show. Like a typical male, he was stubborn when it came to such things.

Now nine days had come and gone and Conall was counting the last of the food that morning. Katahnia was asleep and he was mulling over leaving to try his luck with hunting when he thought he heard her stirring...

He looked across at her and waited. She might need something before he left.

ooc: Tried to summarize. u.u So we're now at about a week and a half after the fight.

visualspice

Katahnia sat up, stretching out her tired frigid bones. She hadn't a clue as to what had happened, ad gasped a moment to see the beard-faced stranger, but then released another breath of relief when she recalled who it was.

"Oh.. Lord Shanley.. how long was I asleep?"

For it was hard for her to discern, she barely remembered waking up those few times, to relieve herself, or for some water on her own parched throat, but barely any food. The apple, and a few nibbles here or there, but that was it. She appeared so terribly thin and pale in the fire's glow as she looked at him, pressing her lips together and trying to recall her dreams.

"Has anything happened when I was out?" She was really clueless righ tnow.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He spoke in an inflection that weighed heavily with fatigue, " It's good to see that you're up. " He offered her a weary smile. And were his tone lost on her,  she'd see the exhaustion in half-lidded green, blood-shot eyes displayed so plainly.

"You've been indisposed for about seven days, possibly a few more than that. I think I may have closed my eyes at times for longer than I had intended. " He stifled a yawn with his hand. "The good news is that it's been quiet since you were last aware of the circumstances and that I was able to mend your wounds. I counted ten bodies and stripped them of all that I could. We've acquired some supplies that I think will come in handy, but, "he handed her an apple," now for the bad news.  I'll be frank. Our food supply is very low. I've been rationing it , but it's not going to last us another week. I need to hunt, but I couldn't leave you alone before."

He stroked his beard thoughtfully," I imagine that you're eager to return to Bellkrath or Turgall as soon as you're able. Since I was intending to find my way back to Connlaoth anyway, I could accompany you for awhile if you like. My destination is further south , but I suspect I might make a stop in Uthlyn to see a friend. That being said, I won't be going out of my way ."

visualspice

"No, not Turgall," she lamented. "There's.. complications there. I.. there's not exactly one place I would be accepted. Though the mage resistance has limited fortresses, I will probably seek them out to see who might need my help. I've already made a voice for myself now, I can't abandon a cause I've already begun. Though even still.." She smiled up athim. "It's time I think you rest and let me tend to the camp. Forgive me for saying this, Lord Shanely, but you look like shit."

Paradox

His eyes widened at her words.

He stared at her.

And stared.

His mouth hung slightly ajar and he just looked classically stupid. He felt it for a moment, at a loss for words. He looked somewhat mortified.

He wasn't accustomed to such ...language. Granted, the other prisoners he'd spent time with in the mines...they employed such offensive words but but this woman wasn't one of THEM.

This woman had been a noble once? My what...a mouth she had! He recovered from the initial shock and closed his lips and gave a short laugh, "Well, that was..." Wow. Nobody talked to him like this knowing who he was. Except someone he'd known as a lad and they- well, were long gone. He blinked twice. Stupidly.

"How incredibly forward of you. I really look THAT bad, do I? I do feel a bit under the weather, I suppose." This was a massive understatement. He felt like, well, he didn't like to use such terminology ,but yes. Shit would be an accurate adjective. Vulgar, but accurate.

visualspice

Katahnia chuckled and sat up.
"You could say that," she stated, tucking her hair away from her face and took a look at the world all around her, wearing a smile she could not erase.
"It seems so.. tranquil here.. peaceful almost. Beautiful.." as she spoke, light puffs of white breath cam eout between her lips before she glanced back at him.
"Do not worry. I will tend to the place while you are sleeping. You deserve a good rest, and perhaps I can see what I can come up wiht for food."

Attempting to rise, she felt her limbs sore from misuse, but other than that, she felt enough strength to get around. She smiled at this. It was good to be able to feel close to normal again.
Especially after all that had happened.

Paradox

"I suppose I did let myself go a little bit," he admitted, staring down at his beard and when she mentioned something about beautiful...he was still admiring his beard. "Indeed." Yes, it was magnificent...and how it would have been all the envy of his brothers. Hell, even his father couldn't grow something this manly.

But he looked up and oh...

She meant...

Right. Of course. He grinned a bit sheepishly as Katahnia was too busy admiring the view.

Oh how vain of him.

"Rest? But...I – are you sure? I'm not really that ," he yawned again, "tired. I'm just..." His body wanted to give in. He'd hardly had any sleep at all since he'd met her. "Alright, but only for a few minutes. Wake me up if I...sleep too long. " He settled down by the fire and fell asleep.

If Katahnia let him be, he'd be out for more than twelve hours and when he stirred again, he felt horrible. Hot and clammy with a dry and scratchy throat and a stuffed up nose. Conall sat up stiffly and rubbed his eyes, "I slept too long. " He croaked.

visualspice

Katahnia smiled when he had awoken. The camp had been rearranged since he had last been awake, her bed had since moved closer to his, more supplies to fuel the fire had been collected and...
"I'm glad you slept. It has been many hours. You needed it." Her smile widened.
"And, oh!" Her eyes brightened as she gestured towards the door.

"I set up a trap outside, in hopes to perhaps catch some animal for food, though I must admit I am no master huntsman, so my trap might have been flimsy at best, btu I had found some, althought hey were rusty, in the dungeon and had to fix them as best I could to get them to work." She sighed then turned to him.

" It might do us some good to try and hunt with whatever bow ad arrows we have. I tried to see what I could scout nearby, but I did not want to leave you alone for long, so once you are more awake and have had some water," and she gestured to a bowl nearby him. "We ought to set out to see what we can find, and do so before the sun sets. If not, we'll have to wait until the next marrow."

Paradox

Conall stared at her for a moment, saying nothing but listening to what she had to say. He looked around, noting the cleanliness that had replaced his formerly chaotic setup. His hands went immediately for the water bowl and seized it, arms trembling a bit as he lifted the bowl to his lips and drank deeply, careful just enough not to spill. When he'd had his fill, there wasn't much left.

"Thank you," He said at last, his voice sounding stronger than previously though he still sounded as though another long nap would have done him a world of good.

"You said you found some traps?" He looked at her curiously, "That could be helpful. I could have a look at them . I used to hunt with my father some though I won't claim myself any expert on the matter either. " Mother hadn't been very keen on that because of his health but father insisted and no one ever went against what father wanted. That was madness.

"I also picked up a few things from ...well , before now I was - a slave in the mines out here. I managed to escape with some prisoners. They taught me how to survive out here. Were it not for them, I'd probably have died months ago. " He rose to stand , but felt a wave of nausea and dizziness overwhelm his senses. He sat back down, looking a little paler than before.

"Forgive me. I don't know if I'll be of much use right now," He looked and sounded remorseful.

visualspice

Katahnia only then noticed the paleness of his skin.
"Are you not well, Lord Shanely.. your face.. you look so pale. ANd your skin seems clammy. Why don't you sit down again. I can make us more water."

Paradox

There was a question.

It may have been a cold or an illness brought on by days of improper diet and sleep.

It also may have been the work of the condition he'd suffered since childhood. The symptoms were not so different than influenza of the worst sort.

Was it wise to share such knowledge? Would it frighten her as it had others? Perhaps he'd wait and see. That seemed logical. This could be a minor thing, healed with food and rest. If it truly got unbearable, he wouldn't be able to hide it. Out here, he couldn't just excuse himself and leave a room or go home. They were stuck together for now and for a great deal of time.

"No," he managed, "I'm not. " He hated admitting his weakness but it was plain as day and only a fool resisted the body's needs. He sat down and turned his head from her view to wipe some mucus from his dripping nose with his glove. It was a repulsive thing to do in front of a Lady but it couldn't be helped.

visualspice

Katahnia's frown deepened.
"Please.. sit down and get some rest. You've been through much,a nd though you've slept most of hte day, more sleep can not hurt. Your body needs time to repair itself." Then she paused to consider. "How are your injuries?" and her green eyes sought to his.

Paradox

ooc: Read the end of my post again. He IS sitting down. lol

ic:

Conall shrugged, " I am no medic, but they seem to be mending well enough. The arrows I took struck less vital places. The only issue was my shoulder, but the blade didn't cut deeply enough to expose bone. I cleaned it and layered it with some healing salve. " He looked uncomfortable . "I suppose you're the healer though and you probably know better than I do about such things. " 

He went quiet for awhile and looked down at his boots uncomfortably.

visualspice

Katahnia smiled.
"Yes, but you look ill." ANd her smile grew. "If you'd like, I think I am well enough I could try to heal you some more."

Paradox

Conall scooted away from her, frightened that she'd use magic again. "N-no. That's really not necessary." She'd used it enough and then the circumstances had been life or death. He could, he supposed, look the other way on such occasions ,but now? No. It was wrong.

Though if she meant healing the normal way, the RIGHT way, then he was fine with that. "Unless you were intending to use some medical supplies?" He didn't want to offend her by outright saying "As long as you don't use magic, I'm comfortable with it". She could turn him into human torch in the blink of an eye!

visualspice

Katahnia stared at him with a smile.
"Such the Connlaothian man," she said with a sigh. "I meant no disrespect, but I did mean to use my magics. My parents had taught me how to use them since I was young, so I've been healing things as long as I can remember." She gave a soft laugh and a sigh however, as she shook her head. "Do we even have medical supplies? And should we even use them if my magic is at our disposal? I'd hate to waste precious resources in a place like this when our journey ahead of us will be long. But if you are so afraid and content to suffer, then I will not press it."
She sighed,t his time with a frown. "My only aim is to help. You've already helped me enough already." ANd she smiled, though it did not reach her eyes. It was sad to think her only friend out here might be afraid of her; and someone not with the cause...

Paradox

"No! No magic!" Conall snapped, adamantly despite a very good point that she made, but she spoke words of laziness and temptation.   "Just because it's more convenient , that doesn't make it right."

Oh indeed, the Ansgarism was strong in this one.

Her words hadn't been entirely lost on him though. Conall was paranoid, this was true, but he wasn't such a fool. He understood where they would be if she used up all the medical supplies on him and when it came to helping her...he'd be useless. 

What ...was...he...thinking!? It was blasphemy!

Ansgar, forgive me for my treacherous thoughts.

"A man does not fear to suffer a little pain, " Conall replied, acting a little haughtier than was normal for him. His body didn't agree with that and he felt a sudden wave of dizziness take over him.

And then he did the most manly thing ever.

He passed out.

He woke up a couple hours later, bolting upright in his bedroll, "Fire!" He'd had a nightmare about Katahnia burning him alive and Ansgar looking down on him angrily and saying "Burn the heathen" . Of course the dream, bad as it was, made no sense whatsoever. Still , it made Conall increasingly paranoid as he looked around, sweating profusely and expecting to be torched again at any moment.

"Ah..." and his sudden movements caused him to double over. He threw off the blankets. He felt so ....hot. Maybe it was time for a walk. He stood up...
Wait. No he didn't. He wanted to , but his body wouldn't follow his mental command. He wasn't going anywhere.

visualspice

Katahnia had fallen asleep beside him, and it was dark when Lord Shanley awoke, and when he awoke making such noise, it startled her. Gasping, she sat up, staring over at him with wide eyes before sighing and wiping hte sleep from her face.

"Lord Shanely?" and she hesitated to move closer to him. "Are you alright?" And she hesitated again, before moving a hand forward to feel his forehead. "YOu look feverish." Then she gasped. "And you feel feverish too!" and she frowned with worry.

Paradox

"I might be ill," Conall replied with a voice that was hoarse and cracking, clearly in semi-denial about his condition as if he were hoping his denial might cure him.

"Or your hand is really, really cold. I feel so hot. If I didn't know any better, I'd compare the feeling with being burned alive. Miss Harmond, could I have some water, please? "His throat was so dry and tight.The water would do him good.