Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A bear and her boy

Started by Anonymous, April 19, 2006, 01:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Th tall figure of a man was walking thorugh the woods. He was about 6 foot 5 and was muscular though his hieght evened it out. Overall he would be hard enough to approach on his own, but right beside him walked a great black bear. The tall man, Bjorn, bent down and ruffled the bears fer in a silent but understood greeting to his compainion. Once he stood back up he pulled an apple out of his pocket and began to bite into it lazily thinking.

The bear beside him was black with one brown spot that was shaped like a moon on her chest. That's why she was named Moonlight. The now happy bear was chaseing a butterfly before she lost balance on her goofy paws and came tumbling down. Bjorn was woken from his daze by this and began laughing causing Moonlight to pounce on him. They wrestled for a few minute's, neither of them wanting to hurt the other but still having fun all the same.

When Bjorn finally stood up smiling, and brushed off his clothes though he knew that none of the stains would come off of it. he looked at moonlight who had a gunny smile on her face saying, "So, what city shall we go to next?" Here he stoped Moonlight sat down for a moment thinking, before she got up and ran towards the direction of Connlaoth.When Moonlight stopped waiting for him to catch up Bjorn raised an eyebrow at her obviously asking if she was sure. So she bobbed her head up and down in a yes. Bjorn just shrugged and began walking again this time with Moonlight leading the way. After a while Moonlight found a new butterfly to chase, and Bjorn began eating his apple stopping every once in a while to laugh at something Moonlight did.

Anonymous

With a heavy sigh Nyxhe readjusted her rapidly emptying backpack. She'd been on the run for so long now, that her provisions were dwindling at an alarming rate. The young woman was not used to gathering food from nature. With her food supply running away from her, she needed to push on, to find a village or city soon.

With thoughts of starvation whirling through her mind, it took a few moments for the sounds to register. As the low grunts and baritone growls reached her ears Nyxhe froze. What? Where? What's going on? Considering her options she was torn between her need to hurry off in the opposite direction and the curiosity reeling her in. The decision was made for her as the threatening sounds turned into cheerful laughter. Stings of loneliness raked her heart and so - standing in the middle of the path to Connloath - waited for the source of the noises to appear.

Still rather unexpectedly a pretty big black bear entered the scene. Surprised Nyxhe quickly and clumsy unslung her musket. The animal didn't seem to threaten her, but she prefered to be sure instead of sorry. As she had a bit of weapon's training, she lowered the gun to her hips pointing it casually at the bulking brute. Unsure whether or not the sight of the musket would suffice, she shrieked: "Kssst! Away! Go...leave!!"

Nyxhe looked rather Amazonesque standing in the middle of the path with her gun levelled at the bear. A large blueish cloak covered her lanky, tall frame, hiding a skin tight formerly black bodice. Peeping out below it was an oversized leather legging. An odd line halved the thing in two. Nyxhe's right leg was covered in a cured soft leather, whilst the other one boasted a furry hide. The sturdy bristles covering the left side seemed to belong to - or rather formerly belong to - an oxen. Two wrinkled boots stuck out their weathered noses from under the legging, their age and distress evident.

The young woman's strange selection of clothing and her martial display couldn't conceal the boyish appeal of her female forms, nor the sweetness of her face. Huge hazel eyes peered out from it. The size and colour conjured up images of a baby deer in one's mind. However hidden within them was a glint of tough flint.

Anonymous

When Moonlight had once again moved ahead of him to hurry him along, he began to trot behind her. When he turned the bend to see a girl standing there pointing a musket at Moonlight and kssting at her he gave a small chuckle saying very calmly in his deep rough voice, "If you don't lower your weapons I'll be the one to attack you." He leaned against the tree just watching the girl. He could see that she was decently strong and that she must be starving half to death right now. Moonlight looked at him confused because she rather like the girl.

When she looked over Bjorn nodded his head from her direction to his, and she came to stand beside him, though she still looked at him as if confsed. Moonlight knew what the weapons meant, but she doubted that the girl would use them, and she was used to people be startled when they saw her. After a minute of looking the girl up and down Bjorn threw her one of the many apples in his pocket nodding for Moonlight to continue on. Moon gladly ran ahead of him and soon tripped and fell making him shake his head and smile at how goofy she was.

At last he looked back at the girl and said, "She really doesn't do any harm. Actually she likes people more than I do." Which was actually true, he could have stayed in the forest with just Moon as a compainion forever, but Moon loved the attention. In his opinion if someone ever shot her it would be her own fault for wanting to be around humans so much. All the same if someone ever hurt his bear he would kill them without hesitation. Moonlight was his best friend, his family, and his partner. She was definatly more than just a bear.

Anonymous

The bear didn't seem to take any heed. Helloohoo, I'm standing here with a gun pointed at your head!, shot through her head. A little girlish giggle tried to escape her pinched lips, but Nyxhe clamped down on it. Only a slight tremor at the end of her musket's barrel, hinted at what happened behind her white teeth.

With her full attention on the black bear, the young woman first didn't notice her companion. Until he spoke that is.
Quote"If you don't lower your weapons I'll be the one to attack you."
Blinking in surprise Nyxhe's gaze wandered further up the path. There a 6'5" figure awaited the arrival of her eyes. Frowning they traveled up and down the man's frame. His muscles were noted, as was his grin. Relieved to see the female bear respond to the man's nod and trot off to his side, the slender woman slung the musket back on her shoulder. Still not sure what to think of the situation, one long fingered hand fondled the leatherbound handle of her scythe. Curtly she said: "As long as you'll keep that beast away from me, I'll keep my bullet away from her..."

At the sudden flick of his hand, Nyxhe flowed into a defensive stance. A tinge of pink spread over her face up to her crown as she realized he'd only thrown her an apple. With her embarrassment flooding her, she didn't manage to catch it. Brushing her fingers it tumbled to the forest floor. Quickly she bent down to retrieve the piece of fruit. As she straightened she threw a small, sheepish smile towards the unlikely duo before her. With the soft aroma of the apple  tickling her nose, she couldn't wait and took a huge bite from the succulent flesh. A slight trickle of juice escaped the left corner of her mouth.

Quote"She really doesn't do any harm. Actually she likes people more than I do."
With her mouth filled with apple chunks, Nyxhe could only nod. After swallowing the mouthful of fruit, she added: "I know the feeling. My sentiments as well. I've had more than my share of bad people lately." Quickly she shut her mouth realizing that her loneliness made her reveal too much information. Better not to tell too much, after all it was likely that she'd still be hunted. With another bite of the apple she gave herself  a good excuse to use her jaws for chewing instead of talking.

Anonymous

Bjorn wanted to laugh when she bit into the apple so fast, but didn't. He was good at controlling himself by now. So he just continued walking only turning around when she answered him saying that she knew what he was talking about and that she had also been around some bad people. He smiled at her, not always having his way with words.
Turning around again he said to her, "Well, where you headed?" He was just making polite conversation but Moon soon interupted him barreling into his leg with a whine. He looked down at her and laughed. Bjorn bent down and ruffled her fur making her smile and begin to walk down the road again. He followed her without a question and vaugly wondered if the girl was coming behind him.

Finally he said to her as Moon began to ignore him again and chase somme kind of animal in a playful way, "Well, were headed to some city in Connloath. Your welcome to join us if you want. Oh, and by the way, I don't control her. We're compainions. I'm not her owner." He just wanted to make that cleared, he hated it when people would think that he had chained her up and done something horible to make her obay him. The truth was she was more likely to give him orders. Usually when he gave her one's it was only for her saftely and she understood that, which is why she would go along with it. He gave another chuckle as she fell very ungracefully before he looked behind him to see what the girl was up to.

Anonymous

Tempted to join the two and enjoy their company, Nyxhe knew it wouldn't be sensible. In particular as they seemed to be heading towards Connloath. The sudden discovery of magical talent within her, had ensured that her homeland was no longer safe. The relief that had swamped her as she crossed the border, was beginning to wear of - especially in the light of her present food situation. Still, the way that she'd escaped proscecution made her return impossible. Visions of her grandfather's limp body lying unmoving in the bleak morning sun, forced a fat tear to roll down the young woman's left cheek.

Quickly wiping the cheeky droplet away, she answered the big man's enquiry. "Headed? Anywhere, really anywhere. Well, as long it's not Connloath!" The slowly growing distance between Bjorn's broad back and herself, unexptectedly made her feel dissapointed. Moved by the emotion Nyxhe took a step to follow. Damn' your bones girl! It is NOT safe! With pain in her heart she watched the unlikely duo march on. The little tumble that Moonlight made, forced a soft grin to enliven her face.

Suddenly a feeling of doom hit the tall woman. The 'magical relationship' that she witnessed right then and there, would - in Connloath - be perceived as just that. It was likely that the two of them would end up in the same place as she had...the dungeons. Wishing that on nobody, she raced after them. Her breath ragged, she reached Moonlight and Bjorn. Taking a deep swell of air, she shared her thoughts. "Wait! You'll not be safe in Connloath! People there hate magic...and perhaps your link with the bear isn't magical, but when prejudice rules that seems trivial." As a tiny shiver ran down Nyxhe's long spine, she vigorously added: "You'll be taken to the dungeons... I can assure you that's no warm and fuzzy place!" As to underline her last remark, Nyxhe's body was raked by some heavy tremors. Quickly she caught the branch of a tree to steady herself. As she looked up her vision was blurred, her hazel eyes veiled by tears.

Anonymous

When he asked her where she was headed she said anywhere but connlaoth which made one of his eyebrows tweak up slightly, though she wouldn't have been able to see it see as he was already walking in the other direction. He was istening to her carefully though, and soon enough he heard her raceing after them. When she reached them he turned toward her and listened to what she said. Once she was finished he smiled at her and said, "Well, I'm sure I can take care of myself, lady. Moonlight was the one who wanted to come this way anyway." He looked her over and knew that she wasn't trying to fool him, though he didn't know why she would have in the first place. Maybe she's a thief, if she is she was a sloppy one. He didn't have anything to steal.

Anyway she was right, he knew about that before he even left for that direction. He didn't think on it to much, but then again he barely ever thought on human afairs, so he looked at the girl and added, "But, if it's so important to you I'll see if Moonlight can deal without the attention for a little while longer." WIth that he turned to Moon who was already by his side trying to make him come with her and he bent down to her saying, "Moon, do you think we could go in another direction? We wouldn't want to loose this lovely young ladies company now would we."

When he said it he looked back up at the girl saying, "Now, she'll probably go up to you for attention. If you hurt her I won't hesitate to kill you, but otherwise we should get along just fine." Moonlight looked from Bjorn to the girl, Bjorn and the girl, and then they finally rested on Bjorn who gave her a nod. Moonlight had her goffy smile on again as she walked tenitively over to the girl eventually sniffing her legs. Bjorn was laughing as he stood up, but his knife was still within reach. He just hoped that the girl wouldn't freak out and hurt Moon, he liked her well enough, and it would be such a shame to have to hurt her. So he watched the two interact closely.

Anonymous

A relieved sigh escaped her shapely but thin lips, as the two travellers stopped. She didn't wish for them to be maltreated as she was. Right behind the sigh a tentative smile emerged, brightening her too serious face. "I'm sure you two can take care of yourselves. It's just that I couldn't let you go without the benefit of my advice."

Somehow it still felt odd to see the tall man talk to the bear. She did seem to understand him though, so perhaps it wasn't that strange at all.
Quote"Moon, do you think we could go in another direction? We wouldn't want to loose this lovely young ladies company now would we."
Although it would make Nyxhe happy to see the duo stay clear of Connloath, Bjorn's argument still managed to give her an uncomfortable feeling. Of the few people she had trusted in her life, her own father had betrayed her, so she wasn't about to start trusting a stranger and his even stranger companion after a short walk and talk. Within her the need for companionship and her mistrust battled fiercely. None of this showed up on her face though. I guess it can't do any harm to travel with them.

As the muscular stranger announced the bear's need to sniff her up, a little muscle in her cheek contracted nervously. Why can't I not just walk so the wind is from behind and let her sniff that from way over here? Voicing this thought might offend the both of them, so - despite her rising fear - Nyxhe didn't speak up. As the bear trudged up to her, Moonlight showed her sharp teeth. The young woman's anxiety rose to a new high, before she realized that the bear might be grinning. With a grim set to her jaws, Nyxhe awaited her fate.

The bear's rather large nose carefully nozzled her leggings. A soft giggle bubbled up from the girl's belly. "Stop that, it tickles!" Two slender hands pushed at Moonlight's head, pushing her nose away from her ticklish legs. As her hands touched the massive head, they noticed the silky softness of the fur. Unwilling to release her grip, aching for some warmth and attention herself, Nyxhe slowly caressed the big floppy ears. Slowly a grin spread over her sweet, round face.

Anonymous

THe girl seemed happy that they weren't going to go to Connlaoth, but when Moon was walking up to her she seemed really nervous. Once she pet the bear though she was won over. Bjorn could tell, the girl was even smiling as she pet Moon. SO Bjorn leaned against a nearby tree saying, "See, I told ya she liked humans more than I do. I hate it when people pat me on the head." Just to be funny and emphisise the point he frowned and rubbed the top of his head, but his frown soon turned into a smile and he lowed his hand.

He looked at the Moon who was now laying down offering the girl her stoumache to rub. Bjorn shook his head a little never able to understand how she could trust humans so much when he said, "By the way I'm Bjorn, and that pretty girl your petting is Moonlihgt. She's such a goof ball." Hearing that and perfectly well understanding him Moon picked her head up and glared at him. Well, to Bjorn who knew her well it was definatly a glare, though to the girl it must have looked like she was just staring at him. Noticing her look Bjorn added to Moon, "You like to much attention. I still don't understand why you trust humans so much." Moon began to smile again as she gave a small shrug and sayed back down on her back. Clearly saying that he never would understand.

He soon realized how strange it must be for this girl to see them comunicating so he said to her, "We really don't have a magical connection, but we've just been together from so long we don't need to speak to understnad each other." Still leaning against the tree he looked at Moon again with a smile on his face, she was just to funny. What other bear imediatly rolls over on her back and lets random humans pet her. She was so odd, and barely concentrating on his own thoughts when Moon stood up and walked over to him then ran ahead of both humans urging them along. WIth a reluctant groan Bjorn stoped leaning on the tree and began slowly walking behind her.

Anonymous

Whilst Nyxhe kept stroking the soft beary fur, she looked up at the tall man. She found him once again leaning against a tree. With a playful smile she reacted to his latest statement. "I see, you prefer the company of trees." Nodding at his chosen  tree, she added: "In the couple of minutes that we've been talking, this is the second time I see  you hunkering against one." The slow wink of a hazel eye, told Bjorn that she was joking as well.

Moonlight reacted in her own unique way to Bjorn's remark; she rolled over offering the - even softer - fur of her belly for some much needed attention. Clearly she meant to say that not just her head was up for a scratch and a pad. Giggling, Nyxhe obliged by crawling her hands through the soft, black hair.  

Completely enthralled by the pleasure-driven Moonlight, the young, shaven woman nearly missed Bjorn's next remark.
Quote"We really don't have a magical connection, but we've just been together from so long we don't need to speak to understnad each other."
Turning her head so she faced him once more, a more serious expression took hold on her features. "Well, however it may be. It really doesn't matter, what I believe. At least, in Connloath it doesn't." Shivering slightly she went on: "Whenever only a hint of magic, or even the hint of something abnormal, is perceived, people tend to give ...errr... GIVE A RAT'S ASS about opinions." A tiny tremor in Nyxhe's voice revealed traces of anger, resentment and fear.

Suddenly the furry softness dissapeared from beneath her touch. Momentarily surprised, Nyxhe noted that the black bear sure seemed to have a will of her own. With unbridled gusto she started to spurt away from them, assuming that Bjorn and their new companion would follow her. As the tall 'stranger' doggedly tracked her pawprints, Nyxhe shrugged and started to tail him. After a few paces she caught up with him. Flinging him a lopsided grin, she asked: "Where is she off to now? I must admit that my geographical knowledge is pretty tiny. What lies in that direction?"

Anonymous

When he told her that he didn't like people she said that she noticeed he liked the company of tree's. THen the girl made fun of him, becuase of how often he leaned against them and then she winked telling him that she was joking. Don't worry, though, as much as he kids around, he gets along with humans, or at least decent ones, just fine. So he chuckled at her joke.

When he told her that they he and Moon didn't have a magical conection she said that what she thought didn't matter, and he noticed she seemed a bit angry about it. He already knew what they were like, he was just ignorant and didn't really care what they all thought, weather that was smart or not. In reply to her Bjorn said, "What you believe may not matter to them, but everyone's opinion should at least be heard. Plus it matters to me what you think. Weather I care or not depends on the person though, or should I say the mamal." No sooner were the words out of his mouth then he began chasing after Moon, and after a moments hesitation he could hear the girls footsteps behind him.

In a few strides she had caught up to him and asked him if he knew where Moon was headed. Once again laughing, you'll notice he does this alot, he said to her, "I honestly have no idea. Though the direction she's headed in seems to be towards either Sionad Valley or the Hyoite village. Then again maybe we'll end up at the ocean." Here he shrugged really having no idea where on earth the great bear was taking them. He trusted her though and would always follow her. Moon, however goffy she may be, she was smart, and she could usually find crowds to perform for, but weather that was for money or just because she likes the most attention he didn't know. Looking back at the girl again he said, "If you had somewhere in mind I could ask her to go there?" So still walking he paitently waited for her response.

Anonymous

Smiling at Bjorn's profile she had to admit to herself that she was pleasantly surprised that he voiced his opinion in such clear terms. Especially when it meant that he might even value her opinion. Slowly a warm, fuzzy feeling curled up to wrap around her. Don't be silly, girl. You've only just met him. And after all, talk is cheap! With that sobering thought, Nyxhe crushed the feelings of comfort and friendship about to dupe her heart.

"I don't care whether or not your relationship is magical or not. As it stands, the term magic has too much of a negative ring to it anyway. The love between two people can be described as magical, even more so than - let's say - the link between a witch and her sentient companion." A sidelong glance at her companion tried to gauge whether or not her carefully voiced opinion managed to hit the right tone. Remembering his introduction from earlier, she cursed her forgetfulness and added: "My name is Nyxhe by the way." Although she almost - without thought - added her surname, she did not. After all it was her father's name, the same person that threw her grandfather and her out of his house. The memory of her grandpa choked her once more. Why did he have to die? Why? It's all my fault!

Her head in turmoil, Nyxhe fell silent. As Bjorn told her of their possible destinations, she sighed. "As long as we're not headed towards Connloath, it doesn't really concern me. I have nowhere to go, no goals to chase..." Wrathfull feelings told her the last comment wasn't entirely true. Still she knew that in order for her to get her revenge she first had to grow, train, maybe even gather somekind of army. The how and the when still were shrouded in the deepest of mists, only the who was clear to her.

"Anywhere else but Connloath is just fine! Do you have a preference? Or is Moonlight in charge here?[/url]

Anonymous

He listened to what she had to say about magic, and decided to answer her once he thought about it a bit more. He wasn't one to rush things, why should he? WHat was he in a rush for? Then finally she gave him her name, so heluaghed a little bit saying, "Finally I get a name out of you." He told her where Moonlight might be headed and the girl said that she didn't really have anywhere to go, and she didn't really care so long as it was not Connlaoth. He noded in understanding. She obviously had a problem with Connlaoth, what it was he had no clue, but she definatly had a problem with. He could also tell that she wasn't going to descuss it so he didn't push her.

After a momentary silence she said that so long as it wasn't Connloath that she was fine, and asked him if he had any ideas or if Moon was in charge. At this he cleared his throat and pulled his chest up, as if to say that he was definatly in charge but what he said with a laugh was, "She is absolutely in charge. If I took charge from her ... well, she'd be very upset with me. I swear sometimes she's worse than the humans." He said the last sentence louder so that Moon would hear him. WHen she did she turned around and stuck her toungue out of her mouth before turning away.

Bjorn turned to Nyxhe saying, "See what I mean. At least humans, or most humans, have some kind of manners." It was obvious that he was just playing with Moonlight becuase she just shook her head  a little and continued walking, as if to say that he was acting like an idiot around company. FInally after a moments silence he reverted back to what she had said before saying to her, "Well, you should care. If we're magical or not. See if we aren't magically conected you have to wonder how the hell I became friends with a bear, and doubt my trust untill I fully explain. If I did say that we were magical you have to wonder what else I can do with my power, and if it's dangerous to stay by us. Like I said before though were not, so you should doubt me until I explain. Which won't be to soon." He stopped to let it sink in before continueing, "As for magic being negative that's only if your from Connlaoth, otherwise magic is usually thought of as a gift. I actually know some very good and kind magic users. There just reall people with some extra abilities to them, actually I believe that everyone has some kind of magic to them, it's just if you can access it that matters. Just like some people are good with knives and some people can't use them for there life. It's just another talent."

Once again he paused, this time to gather his thoughts for the next subject finally saying, "Now I can actually agree with what you said about love being magical. It just depends on how you look at everything. Everythings different when it's looked at from a different perspective. Some magic users will claim that love is a completely different magic from there own, and something that they can not change, yet it is still magic. Some people will say that love is just liking someone so much you'll give anything to spend a few more minute's with them, and some will tell you that love isn't even real. It just depends on how you look at it."

He didn't know how she'd react, so she decided to just let everything sink in until she decided to tell him what she thought. In the menawhile he just silently walked on behind Moonlight who he saw was begiining to get agitated about the lack of attention. When Moon looked back at him he signaled for her to come over and they stopped as he petted her as her face once again gained that goofy smile.

Anonymous

Bjorn's ready admission that he wasn't in charge at all, spawned a tiny grin on Nyxhe's face. Her lips curled up slightly. After seeing the interaction between her two travel companions she couldn't stop her mouth from spreading in a broad, toothy smile. Chuckling she said: "Good manners are overrated anyways! Friendship takes precedence before high morals any time!"

Walking along the tall man, Nyxhe noticed that to his every one pace she had to make one and a third to keep up. That's something new, normally my height keeps me alongside a man with more ease. Still she had to admit to herself that she kinda liked the tallness of the stranger. The young woman hadn't met many men taller than herself yet.

As Bjorn started to deliberate on how she should think it important whether or not his relationship with Moonlight was based on magic or not, she couldn't help but chuckle inside. After all, for someone seeking reasons for her to mistrust him, he hadn't clearly given her absolute refusal to return to Connloath any thought. Admittingly she had held her tongue in that regard, but her admission of having seen the inside of the dungeons, could have tipped him off. The remarks of him having befriended magic-wielders and his notion that magic was a gift, reassured Nyxhe. It might turn out that he was more comfortable with her ability to use magic than she was herself. After all the damned skill had only surfaced once, under great duress and had ultimately resulted in her grandfather's death. So between with her own lifelong aversion to magic and the leaden weight of guild the freshly exhibited ability freightened the hell out of her.

Although she had introduced the subject of love herself it now made her feel uncomfortable. Somehow it didn't feel suited to the current situation. Reluctantly Nyxhe was trying to formulate a response, when the big black bear casually strolled over to her friend. Clearly enjoying the petting, the tall, lanky woman felt a slight tinge of envy. She could need a warm hug right about now...

Whirling around Nyxhe whipped out her scythe, her soft brown  eyes trying to pierce the tightly woven undergrowth. Branches broke with loud snaps, leaves rustled alarmingly. As the sounds coming from some unseen creature, anounced it's progress, the young woman nervously resheeted the weapon. That sounds almighty big, better use the gun. With an unpractised move she unslung the weapon, pointing it roughly in the direction of the hullabaloo raking the forest and her nerves. Anxiously she whispered to Bjorn: "What's that? It sounds very big... Should we run?" Licking her tight lips, her gaze flicked back and forth between  the guestimated place of origin of the tumult and her two big comrades.

Anonymous

SHe was laughing and smiling when he told her what he thought which definatly didn't dampen his mood. She looked happy and that was a good thing, considering what he could assume about her, she deserved it. She must have had some hard times. When he began petting the jealous Moon again he to heard the sound in the bushes and by the time Nyxhe turned and asked him what she should do, he already had his one of his knives out and was creeping over to the bush.

He was surprisingly graceful for his side, but that came from many years of crawling around like this while hunting. He was still crouching as if sitting on his heels though he was walking like that. When he reached the bush he turned to Nyxhe putting a finger up to his mouth signaling to be quiet. Then he began listening to the unknown animal beyond the bush. Unoticed Moon had snick up behind them and began sniffing around the bush to try and find out what animal it was. Whatever it was they had both been in the wild long enough to not really worry about it, though they weren't stupid enough to not take precousions either. So they both waited ready to fight whatever happened to be behind the bush.

OOC: Sorry It took me so long to post this. Anyway, Bleh. This post sucks, but I got it to ya.  : )

Anonymous

Moonlight was the first to catch the gods-awful stench. After all her bear nose was much more sensitive than a human's. It, however, did not take long for the horrid stink to claw into her two companions' nostrils. When the foul odour reached Nyxhe, she couldn't help raising her hand to pinch her nose shut. The few wafts that had touched her nasal sense told of putrid, rotten food, the sweaty torments of disease and much more. A veritable orchestra of terrible stenches, odours and stinks assailed the trio.

Dear Gods, what stinks like this? Carefully lifting a finger to taste a very small dose of the scent, the young woman was reminded of stories that her grandpa had told her. In those tales of valour and heroism awful odours were always associated with... What was it? Some kind of monster...I'm sure of that. But what?

Peering over to the bear and Bjorn it dawned on her. "Bjorn, it's an ogre! Get back! Don't make it angry!" Ogres are bulky and ugly, but before all strong and volatile. They're easy to enrage, but very hard to calm down...or kill for that matter. With the apparant danger ahead of them, the stench seemed the least of their worries, so Nyxhe unclamped her nose and firmly gripped her gun. A tiny shiver ran along her spine, but it didn't reach her hands. They pointed the musket with unwavering accuracy in the direction of the loud racket.

Anonymous

Moon had gotten the smell in her nose first and immediatly backed away lowly growling at the bush which was odd for her. This made Bjorn try to find the scent even more, though he didn't have to wait to long considering it was an overwhelmingly bad smell. He was thinking hard about what it was, or to at least round it down in his head. He almost had it, it was on the tip of his toungue when he heard Nyhxe say that it was an ogre. THe rest of what she had said was unheard by him as he slowly stood back up.

Once he stood he backed up a few steps still moving quietly, then he ajusted the knives at his belt making sure that he could reach them easily. Once that was done he tightened his grip on the one in his hand while making a hand signal to Moon. Moon immediatly stood behind him though she continued to growl, and although the signal was for her to stay out of the fight and not to get hurt, he knew that as soon as he jumped in she would to. He couldn't worry about it now though. He was just listneing intently to where the ogre was.

Anonymous

As suddenly as the noise had started it subsided. The toxic gasses however kept swirling around. Which could mean only one thing: the ogre was still there. Strangely enough the lack of hullabaloo stretched Nyxhe's nerves more than the racket of before. A tickle in her neck told her that the hairs there stood on end. Slowly a droplet of perspiration crawled down her forhead. As it made it's way down, it encountered a warm hazel eye. Quickly the young woman blinked it away.

Relieved to see her two companions' martial stances she slowly shuffled towards them. It might be unwise to present just one larger target for the ogre, but the feeling of safety that the nearness of Bjorn and his bear offered was too tempting. Grinning at them nervously, she tried to catch a sound of the monster. Where is it? Why doesn't it move? Nervous, she hopped from one foot to the other. Scared to talk and thus giving away their position, she threw Bjorn a questioning look. What's happening? Nyxhe thought her thoughts loudly...or at least that was what it felt like inside her head, and she hoped he would pick up on them.

If it weren't for the gods awful stench still clinging to the forest air, she could almost believe that the danger had passed and peace and tranquility had returned. Nyxhe's small nose however tells a different story. The ogre is still hovering just beyond their eyesight...waiting...watching...??

Anonymous

Nyxhe shuffled towards them and Bjorn gave her a quick reasurring smile before he began listening intently again. Suddenly all of the sounds stopped, but the smell was still there. The ogre was still around. For a minute they all stood there silently listening trying  to find some hidden indication of where the ogre actually was. Maybe it would leave them alone now, but even as that thought came through his head Bjorn dismissed it as an idiotic wish. The ogre wasn't just about to let his meal slip away, it wasn't like this was a very populated path.

Bjorn was trying to think of what to do next not just wanting to sit there. Moon was still growling lowly, and Nyxhe looked a little nervous although her gun was steady. That was good at least she can most likely help. He looked to both sides of the path trying to find out what they should do. He didn't like feeling helpless. It wasn't often that he did feel that way, but he still hated it. The ogre was basically stalking them, and there was nothing he could do about it but wait, so that's what he did was wait.

Anonymous

The uncomfortable silence was suddenly shattered by a loud crack. Turning her shaven head towards the noise, the first thing Nyxhe saw was a huge hand slowly curling around a tree trunk. Another creeped out on an opposite bark covered tree. The sheer force behind the paws send shivers along the spines of the deciduous tree. Dark leafs started to rustle and loose their hold of branches and twigs, raining down on the forest floor.

Momentarily the young woman froze. Her mind went blank, her heartbeat faltered only to reemerge in her now bone dry throat and pure fear rattled her brain. The feeling of the weight of her gun dragging her arms down, brought her back to the then and there. Don't think about the possible bloodshed. Just keep the gun steady... And breathe, breathe...

Then another thought trickled into her muddled head; she was the first in the monster's line of sight. As the ogre emerged from the surrounding woods, Nyxhe was the one of their trio to be nearest to it. Slowly she stepped back to stand in line with her fellow travellers. Pointing the long barrel of her musket at the slowly appearing ogre, Nyxhe sent a quick half grin to her companions. "Here it comes..."

Slowly but surely the two large hands proppeled a loathesome face forward. Big fangs, small beady eyes, and two flaring nostrils dominated the ogre's head. A shiver rippled along Nyxhe's spine as she was confronted with the ugly face. Something hit her as odd though. Uncertain about the source of her doubts, her hazel eyes - although shying away from the job - took in the features with more care. Than it hit her: Flowers...FLOWERS?? Resting on top of the murky green dome was a garland of swamp flowers. They were as ugly and disfigured as it's bearer, but still it were flowers. The thistles, stubs of reet and other unrecognizable greenery decorated the monster's head. How odd!