Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Safe Haven (Laraine)

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 17, 2014, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Nemeril wandered the small island on which she and her family of four lived comfortable lives amongst others looking for a peaceful abode. Some of the island folk have been here their whole lives while others had moved here in recent years, looking for a place to call their own or escape some horrible past. They were all welcome here, provided no trouble arose. Her parents, two of the isle's officials, would help make sure of that.

The Windy Isle itself was a beautiful place with a small wooded area off to the side, crisp yet soft yellow sand covering the ground almost everywhere, with small tents and cottages made of wood placed here and there where the people lived. The population while small, was very closely knit so that pretty much everyone's business was known to everyone else. The town hall at the center of the isle was constructed of stone and wood, simple materials foraged from the surroundings lands and the isle itself, brought over bit by bit over the years to make the island livable in for many. A flowing fountain of white marble decorated the outside front area of the town hall where the authorities conducted their political business needed to keep everything running smoothly. The other two isles had their own officials, so each isle was to take care of itself.

The wind today was no different than usual, blowing the fairy elf's golden hair around in the gale. Nemeril had already practiced her archery for the day, some five hours at that, and she was ready for some down time. So that is what she was doing now, sitting on the shore of the serene island, just idly watching the fish and aquatic life swim on by. She thought she even glimpsed a mer-folk's tail at one point, which was not at all surprising. After all, this area was a common enough place to see mer-folk about, as they have done for many many years. The Tuor Ocean after all harbored much life beneath its blue-green waters.

Nemeril sighed, almost bored now. She wondered what would happen today, if anything. Usually the island folk were very gossipy, liking to tell rumors of anything they deemed worthwhile to tell. It did not make for much privacy, but Nemeril herself did not really know otherwise. The Windy Isle had always been her home, although was not as full with people as it is nowadays. Back then, when she was a mere 35 years of age, still a child by both fairy and elf standards, the isle only held at most 20-25 people. A far cry from what it is today, at 100. Of course, that may not seem like much of a difference elsewhere but here it most certainly did.

She squinted her eyes some, looking at something in the far off distance. She stood up, shielding her eyes from the sun with a pale slender hand, and said under her breath, "Alright, what is it I'm seeing?" Soon enough though, she could make out a shape, actually two shapes, still quite a ways away from where Nemeril was standing. Sometimes it paid to have excellent vision for in a matter of seconds, she was able to get a clear view of what she was seeing coming this direction.

((Tags Laraine here. Feel free to introduce Star Sierra and Midnight now.))

Laraine

Star was struggling. Of course it wasn't easy with a nagging black feline in her face.

"Keep your focus! Don't lost it Star!" He seemed to pacing back and forth around the carpet they were both sitting on. Star had both hands spread on on either side, closing her eyes and focusing hard on keeping the darn thing afloat. It had taken a lot of magic, energy to keep that carpet flying.

And the expressions on those below were simply priceless!

But it was hard to tell where to go. Star just wanted to get away. It seemed as if no matter where she ran, the church followed her. So she figured a ocean or two might detour them for a while. Her powers were still growing.

And while she knew she couldn't keep running forever, at least if she rested a while and learned more about her magic....maybe...maybe she could stop them from following her.

But that was a big maybe for sure. It seemed as if the Church was intent on capturing her. She still didn't understand half of everything that had gone on. But she knew one thing in particular...

She was losing power, and fast.

Midnight bristled, hissing as he could feel the level of power drop. "C-Circe! What did I just sayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" before he could finish, they were both plunging towards the small amount of ground below. But Star was nearly out of it, slumped over and weakly gripping onto the carpet as she was gasping. She knew they were in danger, but she couldn't force her body up. She was just too weak!

"Dammnnnn itttt!" Midnight hissed and instantly bit the edge of the carpet, closing his eyes and flooding the useless rug with more energy. While he didn't have as much magic as Star did, he did have enough.

Instantly the blue carpet glowed white, slowing to a stop a few inches off the ground before settling softly onto the earth below. Once that was done, Midnight released it from his teeth and looked worriedly down at his charge. He knew that the other had pushed herself drastically as of late. Getting away from the Church being their first priority....but this was just madness. Trying to fly across a ocean. Not even she had enough magic to accomplish such feats yet. She was still young and new to her powers. He glanced at her arm, slightly uncovered thanks to her cloak that had fallen over her shoulder. That arm...proof again of her magic...black tattoos slithered up her arm in a almost vine pattern complete with small leaves. But he knew better than just to assume. That tattoo.. He frowned watching it pulse a little with a dark light.

Suddenly Midnight heard a noise and spun around, back arched and hissing dangerously at the figure who approached. Spitting and hissing he continued to warn the person away. Eyes promising death but know in his small feline form that wouldn't do squat.

Ethereal-Star

When the two of them landed abruptly nearby where Nemeril was standing, the fairy elf was more than a little surprised. She had seen from a distance a young girl and a cat flying on a carpet of all things! However it looked as though they were having some trouble and soon enough the carpet landed on the small island, the girl looking very worn out from it and the cat checking over the girl worriedly.

Soon though the black feline was aware of Nemeril's approach, and reacted by hissing and snarling at her. The archer was able to tell that the feline was very protective of the girl and so put her hands up in the universal gesture for peace. "Easy there, little feline. I mean neither of you any harm." she assured the cat.

"Seeing as how you two are new to the island, let me be the first to welcome you. I am Nemeril, and this place you are in is called The Windy Isle, part of The Greater Isles. How may I be of help here?" She said all this in a calm voice so as not to alarm either of them.

Laraine

Midnight frowned a bit when the other raised her hands and began to say she wasn't going to hurt them. He hesitated, was the other telling them the truth? He growled a bit and circled Star before settling on her lap. She was very weak and on the verge of passing out, but she pet the cat on her lap before glancing up at the strange girl. Tired ruby red eyes looking into the others.

"Hello. My names Star. This is Midnight. Don't worry.. he's just a little overprotective...he's a very brave, kind soul." She grinned down at her friend, who huffed and looked away. Around other humans he rarely talked. Some would find a talking cat rather odd after all.

"I don't suppose you know of a place I can rest for the night or so?" Star wondered. "I'll need to recharge for a while to get my energy back.."

Licking at her hand, Midnight looked at his charge worriedly. He hated that she had to use her power so much.

Ethereal-Star

"Of course, I will help in whatever way I can." Nemeril frowned at the girl's poor condition. She looked utterly out of it, and quite frail. However any questions of the sort would have to wait until later.

"Come this way, I live just over to the east side of the island. It is not far, I promise." Nemeril began to head that way, while taking it slow so the two could catch up, keeping in mind the girl's weakened physical state.

The fairy elf would let the girl Star and her cat take up temporary residence in her own room until she could find some suitable quarters of their own for them. Her father may not approve of this, but honestly Nemeril could care less about what he would say. He wasn't against newcomers, quite the contrary but he tended to be a little more upfront with asking questions, questions the two did not need to worry about now.

She continued making her way to her family's small cottage, while glancing back sometimes to make sure they were following. Others on the island waved to Nemeril while they shouted out their greetings and she waved back at them. Some of them looked curiously at the girl and the black cat, whispering amongst themselves about who they could be. Nemeril heard all the whispers quite clearly, but paid them no heed. Her main concern was in getting the two of them settled, nothing else.

Laraine

It was very hard, but slowly Star stood up and shuffled after the girl she had recently met. Midnight kept looking over at her worriedly. The trek back to her place felt like it would take forever and frankly she was ready to pass out then and there. But she knew no one would be able to bring her back there so she focused all her energy on walking. So she didn't speak at all. But she managed a weak smile to Midnight and Nemeril.

She didn't even notice as they entered the village and began to see other people of the island. But Midnight did and eyed the people wearily. He didn't trust many people around Star. She was such a fragile being as it was....

Ethereal-Star

After a two minute walk, the three soon arrived at a small cottage on the sandy ground, a potted plant on either side of the front entrance. Nemeril got out a key and undid the lock, then gestured for the two of them to follow her inside. It was slightly dark inside, so Nemeril quickly lit a lantern by the door, letting a soft glow cover the entryway. A red rug covered much of the floor, with a painting situated on the wall to the right of the lantern.

The fairy elf quickly led the way to the second door on the left, and motioned with her hand to the room's interior. "You can take the bed although I am afraid it may be too small for you. If that is the case, the pile of cushions over there in the corner should do for now. I will fetch you a blanket real fast. I am sorry I cannot offer more." Nemeril smiled apologetically at the duo.

Laraine

Star nodded, almost completely out of it by this point. She barely had the strength to keep herself upright. So when they finally got there, she plopped right down onto the pile of cushions since they were the closest near her. "It's....okay.." her voice was fading and she snuggled up onto the pillows, closing her eyes and falling fast asleep.

Midnight quickly rubbed himself against the sleeping witch and then turned to the other girl, staring at her.  "It's fine." He said simply and curled up against his master. "Go get that blanket...we can talk more when you get back. She will be out of it for a while.." He nodded to the other and rested his head down onto his paws, looking at his mistress.

Ethereal-Star

Nemeril nodded at the cat and then headed out the door to the hallway where there was a chair stocked with extra blankets and sheets. Grabbing a large green fluffy blanket, she headed back towards her room with the new guests and unfolded the blanket before settling it over the girl and then stepping respectfully away.

Sitting down in a chair nearby, Nemeril positioned herself to look at the black cat who was so protective of his sleeping companion. She had to admire that, really. It was always nice when animals and people formed bonds with one another, which was always sure to be a lasting friendship. "So, what brings the two of you this way if you don't mind my asking?" The girl was fast asleep, so it left the archer to talk with the cat for the time being.

Laraine

Midnight glanced at his mistress, sighing in relief that she seemed to be sleeping peacefully. He stood up on his four legs and pattered over to Nemeril, tilting his head a bit curiously at her but no longer angry or threatened. He didn't trust many others, the only exception was Star. "I can't tell you much. But we are being pursued. Some people...who hate her, wish her dead. We are...in the process of finding any living relative or a safe place to live. We probably won't stay long." He lifted his paw, licking it gently before setting it back down.

"After all, these people who are after us are dangerous and it's best if no one gets caught in the crossfire.." he glanced at Star once more and sighed. "Star wouldn't forgive herself if innocents died because of her." He nuzzled her covered form and Star in her sleep smiled a bit.

Turning back to Nemeril. "I don't trust....others lightly. Nemeril was it? So excuse me if I seem harsh at times. I have sworn to protect Star with my life if necessary. She cannot die."

Ethereal-Star

When the cat mentioned that they were being pursued by dangerous enemies, Nemeril frowned and was about to interject that they could stay here as long as they needed to, but the black cat continued on, saying they wouldn't stay long and that Star was afraid of innocents being hurt. The archer supposed she could understand and nodded her head.

"A noble cause to defend your companion from danger as best as you are able to." the fairy elf commented. "I would like to help if I can, as well as others here can also lend their aid. After all, we are not without our own protection." Nemeril explained to the feline. "I am one of a handful of archers here, plus we have some decent swordsmen and women as well as healers and magic-users too." She paused, thinking. "I am sure we can defend ourselves and you two as well if the situation warrants it. We have done so before, we can do so again."

Nemeril hesitated a moment, but she felt they needed to know sooner or later anyway. "If I may ask, what or who is after you? It's important to the island to know so we can help in whatever way we can."

Laraine

Midnight sighed at the girls words and shook his head slowly. "No, that few people wouldn't work..." he paused a bit and glanced at the other. "The people who are after us, aren't the run of the mill thieves or kidnappers or even bandits...no.. it's something much more than that.." But he stubbornly didn't want to tell the other.

"I am sorry but I cannot say anymore..your...home wouldn't be a match for them..there's over 200 people who are skilled in fighting and magic after us.."

"Middy.." A weak voice whispered and then Midnight spun around.

"C-Circe! What are you doing awake?" he hissed a bit. "And don't call me that name!"

"Middy...why don't we tell her?" Star smiled softly. "And I'll only stop when you call me Star instead of that name.." She chuckled weakly. She was still exhausted but what the others spoke of woke her up.

"I am..running from the Church." she finally said, slowly sitting up but still looking very tired and weak. "The church wishes to kill me because I am a witch." She shrugged a bit and gave a pain filled smile. "The church I speak of is known as the Aeon church... they have many people devoted to them...and they are...very evil." She sighed and slumped a bit.

"That's enough...rest now.." Midnight nudged her with his head and slowly she lied back down, collapsing and falling right asleep.

Pausing a bit, Midnight turned back over to the girl and huffed. "That girl is too trusting...spies from the church are everywhere.." he growled a bit. "Look, all I ask is that you don't alert the church to our presence here...they won't hesitate to burn her....and she's all I have left."

Ethereal-Star

Nemeril listened while Midnight told her what he was willing to share. However, Nemeril wanted to know more. It wouldn't do to be in the dark about these things and she was about to tell the cat exactly that, when Star woke up and told the fairy/elf herself more of what was going on.

"I see." Nemeril thought before speaking again. "While I understand your concerns, my people while few in number, are skilled enough to fend off any possible attacks on our land. After all we know the islands better than any invaders would." She frowned at Midnight's insinuation of there being spies around. "However there is nothing to fear here. Our people are very accepting of others. All others, no matter their background or origins. Unless they cause trouble here in which case my father, who is the Leader of this particular isle would immediately kick them off our lands. While we accept many, we do not accept intolerance. Evil is not welcomed here. My parents would make sure of that."

The archer remembered something else the girl had told her and replied, "I have to say I have never heard of this Aeon Church before. But then again, I do not do much traveling, except to the nearby island chain of Yoreiq, which is south of these islands. Even then, my visits there are few and far between."

Nemeril looked at the cat again. "You say 200 in number? What are their main means of fighting? Their choice of weaponry? Armor? Magic abilities? Strengths? Weaknesses?" The warrior in her was ready, firing off many questions so as to know what to expect if these foes did indeed come and attempt to do anything untoward.

Laraine

Midnight eyed the girl, weary of her sudden interest and wanting to become involved. "The Aeon church is very far away, its headquarters anyways. We've been on the run for months now. It's no wonder you haven't heard of it. As for their ways of fighting. Mainly they use weapons. Enchanted weapons. They refuse to use magic themselves which is why Cir-Star is being targeted. But her magic is still growing, she's trying to learn as many spells as possible...but.." he sighed, looking back down at his mistress.

"As it is, she's hitting the breaking point right now. They don't wear armor and are physically stronger, they know many forms of martial arts. Their weakness? I suppose if someone knew powerful enough magic, it could take them down no problem. As it is though....we've only been running. It's hard to fight when you are outnumbered and outmatched after all."

Ethereal-Star

Nemeril was about to respond when she heard the sound of the cottage door opening, light footsteps entering the small residence before a soft knocking on her door was heard.

"Nemeril? Are you in there?" Her sister Gossamer spoke on the other side of the door, before opening it a tad and sticking her head inside. Strawberry blonde tresses could be seen framing a thin-boned angular face similar to Nemeril's own features as Gossamer peered in curiously. The hint of lemon yellow wings could also be seen protruding from her back as Gossamer took more after their mother in terms of having wings and some other features. When she saw her sister inside, she opened the door more fully as Nemeril turned to look at her, stepping inside the room now.

"Gossamer, there you are. I was wondering where you had gone to." Nemeril's attention now on her younger sister and not their current guests. "Where did you scamper off to?"

Gossamer ignored her sister as she noticed the others inside the room, eyes brightening in curiosity at this. "Who're they? Newcomers to the islands? I don't remember seeing them before here or on the other two islands. Have they come to live here permanently?"

Nemeril held up a hand to still her sister's inquisitive questioning. "This here is Star and her cat companion Midnight. Right now they're just visiting to take a rest from their travels." She neglected to mention anything more on the matter, at least for now she didn't say anything else.

"Really?" Gossamer seemed excited. "It's been awhile since we've had new people come. Where are you from? How long will you be staying?"

Tags: