Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Day to Rest. Maybe (DragonSong) (M)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 20, 2016, 01:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

((Rated M for reasons appearing in pages 10+))

After a long afternoon of travel the day previous, the first Captain of Ansgar's Hand was more than willing to spend a day in Reajh, just being himself. Between his duties to Lady Hakon the noblewoman and Lady Hakon the Major of Ansgar's Hand, Disgaua was typically kept very busy.

Not that he minded - acting as bodyguard for his Lady was always preferable to the mindless patrolling of these streets that, ironically, he found himself walking now.

After ensuring that his mount Sleipnir was comfortably put to stable - surely the beast needed the rest as much as he! - he took glaive in hand, and began walking the streets. He made a rather striking picture - lean and fairly well muscled, he wore his customized armor he had worn as a simple soldier, bright and polished, unmarred by blade or mace. Smiling blue eyes surveyed his surroundings, and he took in a deep breath of the refreshing, early morning air.

Today, at least, he was a free man. Somewhere in his mind, though, he felt the irony of him falling into his old routines, following the patrol path he had been assigned long ago when he still walked these streets. After perhaps an hours walk through dark city streets, he found himself in the lower districts.

A sight drew his attention - a line of the poor before a storefront, a few of them pushing and bullying one other. Not one to allow such acts, the Mordecai stepped forward, glaive in hand, tabards of the lily clearly visible across his breastplate.

"Ho, there. What is this I see, but a group of vagrants ganging onto one of their own? A line is a line - form it peacefully, or there'll be problems."

He stepped up to the group, lending an arm to the thin, unwashed man that had been target. "Are you well, sir? I'd like to take you to the inside of this place, where these others have perhaps found themselves undeserving. Come! I smell the baking of morning bread, let us enter. Make way for me, Sirs."

He took the man by the arm, then, and shouldered past the line, quickly making their path to the door. Opening it brought a blast of warm air, and the Mordecai brought himself and his charge inside.

He spotted a woman, just inside, and spoke to make himself known .

"Madam, I was walking the streets to find a group of men hassling this one - perchance he may find what he was looking for, and be rid of them?"

DragonSong

The morning started much like any other, with Nyla up before the sun and hurrying down from the small flat above her shop to begin her day's work. She was so absorbed in what she was doing she hardly noticed the time passing as she slid trays of bread and sweets into the three ovens set up in the back of the shop.

"Mm. Those smell good- what are they?"

"Cookies." She rolled her eyes as she ducked to address the small, talking flame that resided in her largest oven. Her eyes flicked toward the door that led into the shop proper- an automatic response, since logically she knew no one would be in there as she hadn't officially opened yet. "And what happened to keeping your voice down, Cal?"

"I'm bored," the shapeshifting creature complained, flickering from a small, horned creature to a more humanoid shape no larger than her hand.

She sighed. "Look, I told you that you can stay while you're healing, then go back through the Veil. But if you keep up the noise, summon might find you, and then we're both in trouble, alright?"

The demon subsided with grumble and she straightened up, sighing and adjusting the kerchief she had used to keep loose hair out of her face, most of the curly mess bound up in a high, messy bun. Everything seemed to be going relatively smoothly- probably time to open up shop then. She slipped out of the bakehouse and closed the door behind her, moving toward the door to the shop.

To her surprise, the door opened before she could reach it, revealing two men. One she recognized, the other...

She didn't know him, but the wave of cold that washed over her and the sudden, distant feeling of her magic told her he was a mordecai. She swallowed thickly- oh gods, was he here to arrest her?

Then what he'd said registered and her eyes flickered to the other man. "Oh, Thom!" She moved forward and took his hand, tilting his head slightly and hissing in a quietly breath when she saw a bruise forming on his cheek.

"Poor lad," she muttered, frowning. "I have a few loaves just out of the oven, if that's what you came for- but here, why don't you take a seat and wait a few minutes, and I'll have something else for you too." She ushered him toward one four of the small tables that dotted the inside of the shop, then turned back to the stranger.

"Thank you for helping him. I've told him he doesn't need to be here so early, I'll always have something for him- people tend to be more aggressive right before I open shop, I don't know why." She frowned, then shook her head and offered a small, bright smile. "Anyway. Thank you."

Still feeling a little on edge, she moved toward her counter where several freshly baked loaves steamed gently. "So. To what do I owe the pleasure of a mordecai's presence in my little shop?"

Marakai Trin

Disgaua gave a smile, happy that the man he had stopped to help was welcome within the shop. He watched with a smile on his face and in his eyes while the young woman attended to him. Perhaps he was watching a little too closely - she was attractive, and he very nearly missed her question.

"Hmm? Oh. I was just out for a stroll when I came across the commotion just outside. I'm... actually off duty for the day, believe it or not. But old habits die hard, eh?" He gestured at his armor and the fact that he carried his weapons still.

"My name is Disgaua, but you can call me Diz. First Captain of Ansgar's Hand." He gave a small bow, the smile never leaving his face.

"To whom do I owe the pleasure?"

DragonSong

"Oh." she blinked, a little taken aback by the easy, courtly manner he held. "Um, Nyla. Nyla Whitewood. Pleased to meet you."

Automatically she dipped into a half curtsy, a well practiced movement that was just low enough to show proper respect but with a bearing that retained a sense of self respect- it was something she'd learned at a very young age.

Then she remembered she was supposed to be a simple baker and straightened up quickly. "Oh, well- could I interest you in something?" She gestured over her shoulder to her counter where her goods still steamed gently.

Marakai Trin

Diz noticed Nyla's curtsy as well as it's hastened cancellation, but said nothing of it. He'd seen nobles down on their luck before - the woman he worked for was just recovering from such a state. Perhaps this was one such case.

Disgaua did give a small frown, though - he was indentured as Hakon's bodyguard because he owed a great debt, from his purchase of Sleipnir and the armor standard for heavy cavalry.

"....I'm actually afraid I have nothing with me with which to pay you. My situation is...well, odd, to put it lightly. All my earnings go toward paying a great debt. I do apologize, though. It certainly smells wonderful."

DragonSong

And with that, Nyla was suddenly in her element. She smiled and shook her head at him. "Why don't you take a seat with Thom and I'll bring you both something in a minute." She raised a hand to cut off any protest he might be preparing to voice. "On me. You helped a friend, consider it repayment."

She waved toward the table, slipping back to the door and flipping her handmade sign around to declare that the shop was open before propping the door open a bit and moving around to crack open a few windows, allowing the scent of the shop to billow out onto the streets.

Moving back to the counter, she easily wove her way through the people now filing in, calling for them to wait one moment while she sorted through some things. She caught her newest guest's eye as she took her place behind the counter.

Marakai Trin

Diz had indeed made to make protest, and gave a small shake of his head and a chuckle when she cut him off.

"Very well, then, Nyla. I am at the mercy of your hospitality." As he said this, his tone was obviously light and joking, and the smile in his eyes remained. He took his seat opposite Thom, leaned his glaive against the wall, and glanced his way.

"So, you're here often, then? Does she do this every day?"

The response that came was rather enthusiastic: "Aye, the lady Nyla be a fair lass. A face as kind as her hospitality, eh?"

Diz gave a small smile, and a nod. "Yes, she may very well be that." He turned away to look at the beauty behind the counter, and caught her glance, returning it with a bright smile and a small wave. "She looks busy - we may be in for a bit of a wait."

DragonSong

Busy she was, but Nyla had a good deal of experience running about the shop and making sure she got to all her customers in a timely manner. First came the simpler orders, usually for just bread, maybe a few buns or something- food she'd already made and could simply hand over.

It was when people started asking for specifics that she had to slow down a bit, noting what people wanted with an easy smile before hurrying back into the bakehouse to slide trays of treats and bread into the ovens.

"Someone's in a hurry to get these cookies," Cal noted as she nearly burned herself on the side of the oven.

She rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him. "You hush. I swear, you're more trouble than you're worth." She bustled back out into the main shop before he could respond.

"Here you are." She glided easily through the crowded shop to slide a plate of cookies onto Thom and Diz's table. "Thom, love, I've got some raisin bread in the oven if you'd like to wait for that as well."

Her eyes flicked to the mordecai and she tilted her head slightly, blowing a jet black curl that had somehow managed to struggle free of her kerchief out of her face. "These are hot, so mind yourselves. Would either of you like something to drink? The lady two shops down gives me a pretty good deal on her cider, I've got quite a bit in the back."

Marakai Trin

Watching her weave into and around the crowd, the Mordecai couldn't help but smile. She certainly was a fair sight for the eyes. She seemed to move with a certain amount of grace that seemed only to come with experience.

When she made her way over to the table, Diz once again flashed that smile of his. "If it's not too much trouble...yes, please. I really must figure out some way to pay you...you're being entirely too kind to a soldier like myself."

And then, he had it - a light seemed to go on as he looked at Thom, and then back to Nyla.

"...hold a moment, Nyla. I have an idea that may serve as payment....you seem incredibly busy here. Thom is here anyway most mornings, yes? Mayhap he can help you here, hmm?"

He smiled brightly, and nodded towards Thom. "It'll keep him out from the front when your line forms, if he's in here, and you get an extra hand. What do you say?"

DragonSong

"Oh." Her eyes widened a bit and she drew her bottom lip between her teeth. Honestly, she'd thought about hiring help before- but she hadn't wanted to risk someone discovering the occasional demon that lurked around the place.

But she couldn't seem to think of a way to say no without sounding completely callous or suspicious. "Well...I can't pay much, but I wouldn't mind a little extra help," she said with a smile for Thom.

The man beamed at her. "I'll talk it over with the missus. God knows she'd tan my hide if I took a job without askin' first."

Nyla nodded and flashed a quick smile at Diz. "Well, I'll get you two that cider then." She bustled back into the back of the shop and closed the door quickly before leaning against it.

"Damnit."

"Problem?"

She waved Cal away- the demon had poked his head out of the oven to blink at her. "Nothing I can't handle. Just an overly helpful mordecai." With a damned charming smile that she could seem to help responding to. Shaking her head, she crossed to the ice box stored under a panel in the floor and retrieved a pitcher of cider before once again slipping out into the shop.

"Here you are, lads," she said brightly, setting two glasses and the pitcher on the table once she'd reached it.

Marakai Trin

When Nyla returned with the cider, Diz had a mouthful of hot cookie. He eagerly grabbed it, haphazardly poured a glass, and downed it quickly.

"By the Light, woman, are those cookies baked with the flames of hell? I suppose I should have waited." He gave a small chuckle, and his smile resumed, bright blue eyes twinkling.

"Once you get past the burning pain in the mouth, though, they're delicious. What's your secret? I'd bet you could nearly keep this place going with just those!" He gave a laugh, and grabbed another, ensuring to take a smaller bite.

Thom smiled a bit, too. "Well, the lady did warn you, Sir."

"That she did, though I suppose my stomachs impatience overrode good sense. I'm going to have to make sure I come by here more often - these are wonderful."

DragonSong

Nyla looked concerned for a moment, then chuckled quietly when she realized the man wasn't seriously complaining. "If you like, next batch I can keep up out of reach until they're cooler, like I do for the little ones," she teased lightly, black eyes glinting.

Her smile softened at the edges and she added, "And I thank you. They're really not much, but people seem to like them."

Damn his smile. And those eyes- did people's eyes really sparkle like that? She'd thought that was just colorful imagery from books.

It just wasn't fair.

"Miss?"

"Oh." She blinked, caught off guard, and glanced down at the slight tugging on her skirt. Wide green eyes stared up at her from a rather dirty little face and she smiled. "Morning, Kally, I didn't see you come in." Glancing back up at the table, she nodded and murmured, "If you two gentlemen would excuse me a moment. Enjoy the cider."

In a well practiced movement, she bent to scoop the little girl onto her hip and moved back toward the counter. A few other children seemed to materialize from the crowd, following them behind the counter as she took her place and set about selling the next batch of hot goods, Kally's arms wrapped around her neck.

Marakai Trin

Diz arched a brow. A child? ...ah, no, Nyla was addressed as 'miss', not 'mother' or another matronly title. His smile brightened yet more - this woman must truly be a wondrous person to attract people so. Momentarily he wondered why the children followed her behind the counter, but assumed they were allowed, as Nyla made no move to stop them.

He took another drink of his cider, wondering if he should spend more time here, or move on. She appeared very busy, and he didn't want to be more if a bother than he had been.

But she's such a good person, you'd be smart to pursue her, the thought came. But should he? He was terribly busy - a soldier and bodyguard both, and he no longer lived in the city.

Making a decision, he stood, and moved as lithely as he could to an empty spot at the counter.

"Miss...Nyla. I'm afraid I've taken time away from you, as you're seeming to have your hands full. But.... perhaps tonight, you would accompany me about the city, when your work is done?" There it was, no taking it back.

He gave as charming a smile as he could. "I'd be delighted to know you when you're not bereft of time for conversation."

DragonSong

Amidst the bustle of the shop, Nyla managed to slip back into the bakehouse for a moment and warn Cal to keep himself hidden in the oven, then moved out to address the cluster of urchins gathered behind her counter.

The flow of customers was slowing slightly, so she had a moment to breathe as she told them, "Alright, if you lot promise to behave yourselves, you can wait back in the bakehouse while I finish up with the morning rush and start on some meat pies, alright?"

The children all nodded eagerly and made promises to be good as gold- which was when she looked up and found Diz approaching the counter. Her eyes widened at his invitation and she opened her mouth, but for a moment no sound came out.

Damn that smile! She was supposed to say no; she couldn't risk getting close to anyone, let along a trained mordecai-

"I- I'd be delighted, Sir." Her eyes widened further as the words spilled from her lips and she almost clapped a hand over her mouth. "Thank you. Should I...expect you this evening?"

Immediately, of course, there came babbling from under the counter- mostly from two of the older boys and one of the girls, demanding to know if Nyla was courting the strange man, and who was he anyway, and did he always wear clothes like that? Her cheeks colored and she tried to shoo the children back into the bakehouse.

Marakai Trin

The chatter of the children beneath the counter reminded him - best not to be wearing his armor while just on a walk. He'd have to change into something more...casual.

Problem was, he rarely did casual...and he brought little with him - most of his things were back at Hakon's residence.

Damn.

But he put on a smile anyway, and gave a nod. "Yes, I can meet you right outside the bakery, if that's fine with you. Unless you've got another place you'd rather meet - I imagine you don't want to go out wearing work attire, and I know I won't be in this armor all day. That said...if you need to go somewhere to change, I can meet you there instead."

Truthfully, he didn't care what she was wearing - a few hours of pleasant company didn't honestly require any special attire. She could be covered in flour and smell of the bakery, and he seriously doubted he'd care. He didn't care right now, obviously.

"So, that said....?"

DragonSong

Her smiled widened and, though she was still blushing, she chuckled quietly. "I actually live above the shop. I certainly don't mind meeting you here."

She brushed her hands down the apron on her front and brushed a stray curl out of her face, accidentally smudging a bit of flour across her cheek. "I usually close an hour before dusk. I'll...see you around then?"

Erik, the eldest of the children clustered at the door to the bakehouse, stuck his head out into the shop and whistled, then disappeared to a chorus of giggles. Nyla's blush deepened and she ducked her eyes. "Ah- ahem. Kids," she chuckled awkwardly with a shrug.

Marakai Trin

Disgaua watched and smiled as that stubborn curl fell right back in front of her face again. Perhaps he was being a little forward, but he reached a hand out to push it back again, noting a smooth silkiness to both her hair and skin as his hand brushed against her temple.

Smiling as if it was nothing, he gave a nod. "I'll be right outside, just as the sun's setting then. Don't worry about extravagance - I'm afraid I'd be underdressed." He gave a chuckle as the boy sounded the whistle, and shrugged as well.

"Ah, they're just jealous it's me and not them, eh? I'll see you tonight, then, Nyla."

With another gleaming smile, he turned for the door, glancing back one last time before disappearing again into the morning bustle outside.

DragonSong

Nyla was sure she could bake a loaf of bread on her cheeks, but she smiled as he left. Her hand absently moved up to play with that ever-present curl, twining it around her finger.

A softly cleared throat drew her attention back to her customers and she forced herself to focus. the day felt rather dreamy after that as she moved through the familiar motions of work but found it rather hard to actually concentrate on what she was doing.

What had she been thinking? What if he found out? What if he didn't find out and actually liked her- and she liked him, which would mean she'd spend whatever time he gave her constantly tiptoeing around any dangerous sort of topic.

What if he already knew and was just playing her.

"You need to relax."

She jumped slightly at Cal's voice. She was cleaning up after just closing the shop, and she'd completely forgotten she's allowed him to help her sanitize the bakehouse. "Relax? Are you kidding me? What if-"

"All you've got is a bunch of "what if"s," the fire demon pointed out. "You know, you barely leave this shop. It'll be good for you to get out. Just go, and try not to seem too suspicious."

She glowered at him. "Thank you for that, really," she muttered sarcastically.

But she found herself doing what he said, hurrying up to her little flat so she could at least change out of her apron and kirtle. Quick as she could, she chose a simple dress from her rather meager wardrobe with a high collar and long sleeves that hid the myriad of thin, pale scars that feathered her skin.

Just relax. Breathe, you'll be fine she repeated to herself over and over as she slipped back downstairs and out of the bakery.

Marakai Trin

Diz headed straight back to the Mordecai garrison, fully intending on making the best of himself for the nights activities. His stuff was stashed in his old room in the barracks, somehow still empty after almost a month. It technically wasn't his, but prior to his excursion he'd made sure to clear it with the quartermaster.

He opened his small pack, hoping against common sense that he had something that could pass as something other than military attire. Unfortunately, he was doomed to disappointment.

But then he had an idea - Ansgar's Hand was garrisoned here as well, and he knew of a young corporal that was just his size - before Ansgar's Hand had formed, they'd done this sort of thing before. And even better, he lived in Reajh.

So, once again, he dashed out of the barracks and into the sunlight. Trying desperately not to seem rude, he headed back into the lower districts, a few blocks yet from the bakery. Finding the door he was looking for, he banged on it. Hard.

"Jyrryk! Open up! It's Diz. Open for your Captain, maggot!"

A moment later, the door opened to reveal a young man, not quite in his twenties.

Diz shouldered past him, and shut the door.

"I need to borrow some clothes. I have.... something going on tonight."

Jyrryk gave a lopsided grin. "Met another lady, Diz? So many, Captain. Eventually you've gotta pick one."

"....you know what? I like this one. She's beautiful, she owns a bakery, and she's very, very kind." It was obvious - around friends and fellow soldiers, he'd dropped the charming tone. Now, he was halfway between casual and professional.

"Sounds like a keeper. What's her name?"

"Nyla Whitewood. Her bakery isn't far from here...I'd like to get this done fast, and maybe do some work around the barracks for some spending money. I'm still paying for Sleipnir and my armor, and every copper I get goes toward that."

".....alright, let's see what we can find you, Captain. Whatever you get, just keep it. I know you're needing some things while we're still off duty."

----------------
A Few Hours Later
----------------

Diz was back at the barracks, at that time still garbed in his thick cotton gambeson. He'd talked to the quartermaster about some odd jobs, making sure not to tell too much - there was enough rumors circulating about him as it was.

But, he'd found himself cleaning the barracks, which as one could imagine, was a nasty job. But it was now done - he had enough time to bathe, dress, and be off.

So this he did, and he found himself still wearing his cotton gambeson, chainmail, and a black jerkin with blue embroidered trim. Not too fancy, but not shabby either.

Dates were...alot of work when you were broke.

Still deciding not to go unarmed, he slung just one of his broadswords on his back, and made for the bakery.

And just in time, as a moment later, Nyla stepped outside, and Diz found himself blinking several times.

"....well, it seems that it doesn't matter what you're wearing, Nyla...." his tone was serious sounding, almost grim.

But then, that charming smile and twinkle of the eye came again, most surely a reassurance that he had bern making a joke.

"You're still a pleasant sight, both in an apron and a dress. You look beautiful."

DragonSong

Nyla jumped slightly at the sound of his voice, startled- gods she was so skittish!

A smile quickly broke across her face when she turned to look at him though. A blush dusted her cheeks and she dipped into an automatic little half curtsy before straightening up again quickly.

"You flatter me, sir," she murmured, playing absently with a loose curl. Her hair had been left unbound to fall around her shoulders and down her back. She probably still smelled like the bakehouse, but at least she looked clean.

"You clean up rather nicely yourself," she noted rather appreciatively, letting her eyes flick over him before snapping back to his face. Breathe, girl, breathe. Everything is gonna be fine.

She cleared her throat and tilted her head slightly at him. "Did you, ah...have a destination in mind?"