Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

S(t)ealing hearts [M]

Started by Medievarad, February 20, 2016, 06:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medievarad

A throwing knife, decorated with a red ribbon was circled between Usagi's fingers. This was the place. No doubt. Her latest contract. Her target was inside and most likely already asleep. She looked up at the moon. Midnight. She sighed slowly as she pulled the demonic mask infront of her face, completely unrecognisable now with the thick brown coat.

It was time.

Agile like a cat, Usagi started to scale the walls and make her way to the roof, before hanging off by the side and making her way inside an unlocked window. With a soft thud, she landed inside her target's room.

It is going to be a very interesting reunion, won't it, dear Jynx?

The ribbonned dagger slid from her sleeve and she grabbed the hilt, holding it up. Interesting and short

DragonSong

Jynx, sound asleep, barely stirred at the intruder.

The two headed hellhound guarding the foot of her bed, however, bolted awake and snarled. Loudly. Jynx shot upright, hand flying to the dagger under her pillow and tossing it in the direction where she could barely make out a shadow in the darkness without pausing to think.

"Janus, attack," she ordered, voice and eyes still blurry with sleep. The hellhound gave a bark that more of a roar and launched himself off the bed.

Medievarad

The dagger slashed into the figure, pinning the empty brown cloak to the wall. Wherever the hellhound and dagger went, it was a mere decoy.

"I would've wanted to do this while you were still sleeping." Usagi rose from Jynx' shadow with a sigh, flicking the knife in her hand.

DragonSong

She recognized the voice.

Eyes widening, Jynx shot off the bed and fell back, Janus growling and snapping and barking- all at the same time- at her side.

"You," she murmured, drawing the blade at her hip and falling instinctively into a defensive stance.

Medievarad

"You pleasantly surprise me. I thought you'd forget after the second day." She flicked the knife in her hand once more. "It seems you didn't." Usagi giggled slowly, sat on the edge of the bed, her legs kicking idly. She seemed to be completely unimpressed by the demon's raving. "Now. It seems you didn't only backstab me.." She chuckled slowly. "There have been a lot of other people.. And someone offered a reward."

DragonSong

Not dropping her guard for a second, Jynx felt her heart lurch with an unfamiliar emotion: guilt.

"I didn't backstab you, Spitfire," she murmured, wishing Usagi would lose the mask so she could meet her eyes. "I was trying to protect you..."

Medievarad

A slow laughter came from Usagi as she twirled the knife between her fingers. "Protect me from what exactly? Being killed by your doing? Losing you?" She shook her head. "You taught me one thing, Jynx. Don't trust the people that are close to you. They're the ones to destroy your life." Her  hand closed around the knife, a trickle of blood running down her palm.

"Because my life right now? I'm being hunted by a demon and a myriad of people who are stealthier and more dangerous than myself." A wicked chuckle, "I'm having fun."

DragonSong

"Usagi..." She gritted her teeth, shoving emotion away and locking them up inside her heart.

"If you're going to try to kill me just do it," she spat.

Medievarad

"Before I kill you. I want answers." She threw the knife next to Jynx, it slammed into the wall. "Why did you leave? Why did you want to 'protect' me? You yourself did the worst thing I could imagine back then. I lost you."

DragonSong

Resisting the urge to flinch at the knife hitting the wall, Jynx held her ground. "You barely knew me," she said icily. It was easier to go on the defensive. "You were infatuated. I did you a favor- if I'd stayed, you would have lost me anyway, but then you would have actually lo-"

She cut herself off, clenching her jaw.

Medievarad

"Then I would've actually what?" Usagi chuckled slowly. "I indeed didn't know you. Else I might've seen the backstab coming. And yet I laid out my emotions to you.. I trusted you." She smirked slowly and stood up, pulling the mask from her face, discarding it on the bed. "Remember the last time I took it off? I was under the illusion I couldn't live on with you."

She chuckled slowly. "And I was correct." Usagi looked Jynx in the eyes, devoid of emotions. Dead. Distant. Her eyes faint. As if she was drained from any emotion.

DragonSong

Jynx shook her head. "I don't know what happened to you," she said softly, "but believe me. If I had stayed, it would've been worse."

Medievarad

"I strongly argue against that, Jynx." She looked at the thief with those exhausted eyes of hers. "You meant everything to me.. You had my heart. Still have it. I can't even remember the last time I slept."

DragonSong

She shook her head again, smiling sadly. "You can't give your heart away, Spitfire," she murmured. "I should know better than most. But gods I never wanted to hurt you. Truly. I was trying to save you."

But it seemed she'd left too late.

Medievarad

Usagi grit her teeth and stepped forward, putting her hands on either side of Jynx' face. Now that she was up close, properly lit by the moonlight, her face was littered with scars. The left corner of her lips was stitched of with two cross patterns, to prevent it from ripping further. "What fate.. Is possibly worse than this. Say it. Perhaps I can understand. And at least have some peace of mind."

DragonSong

Janus growled threateningly, but Jynx put her hand out to tell him to stand down. She met Usagi's eyes, steely.

"You could have fallen in love with me," she said, tone flat and expressionless. "For half a year, we could have been happy. And then I would have died. There's no way out of this, Spitfire. I just... I didn't want to put you through that."

Medievarad

"It would've been better than you leaving me. When you died.. I might've been able to find the closure I never found now." She snickered slowly. "You're real stupid, aren't you?" She chuckled dryly. "And here we are.. Me coming to kill you. Scarred and battered."

DragonSong

Again, the hellhound growled. Jynx jerked away from the younger woman, falling back and raising her dagger into a defensive position. "Try it then," she said, tone and eyes flinty.

Medievarad

Usagi sighed slowly. "So be it." She flung the kama from her back, circling them in her hands. "This'll be over quick. I'm way more powerful than I used to, Jynx."

DragonSong

The demonlord just stared her down. "Janus," she said quietly.

The hellhound roared and leaped forward, lunging for Usagi's throat.