Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Humility is the Worst Punishment

Started by kleineklementine, December 05, 2013, 01:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

"Trillium?"

Trillium Delancy sneered. What did the woman want now? Already she was working the poor girl to the bone, training day and ngiht and night and day! Making her meditate and attend mass regularly - every day! - and memorize useless creeds and facts and histories and other boring, idiotic facts. In the utterly wretched situation that was now her life, Trillium laid the blame squarely on the shoulders of Lydia Rosenthal, the Knight of the White Lily tasked with training the insolent young noblelady. So Trillium glared up at the older woman as she entered the workshop where she was made to slave away sharpening swords and axes, polishing armour, and other tasks that were completely beneath her. And her glare intensified when she saw that Lydia looked happy. That never meant anything good for Trillium.

"What?" came the girl's surly response. "Are you going to make me toil even more like a slave, rather than the noble - "

But Lydia held up a hand which, miraculously, turned Trillium's words into a glower. Even that was progress over where they had been when Trillium first joined. Then there had been nearly nothing the Adhara could do to silence the endless complaints of her young apprentice. "These tasks are necessary, Trillium," Lydia answered lightly, "and until you're willing to work hard on mastering the proper skills of a Knight, we'll keep you busy doing some hard work."

In response, Trillium rolled her eyes.

"Hm. Well, I'm glad you feel that way, because I have a new assignment for you." Great. What would the slave master set her to now? "There's a small village outside of the city that's asked for our protection. It's a small village, and a poor one, and they have limited resources. Fear has spread among the people of a malicious wood witch that has been poisoning their fields and sneaking into their homes and cursing their food." Lydia talked over the growing look of shock and indignation on Trillium's face. "It's been a hard year for agriculture, and we don't think their fears have any basis in reality, but having a Knight in the village for awhile will boost the people's spirits. Which is invaluable these days."

"Awhile? How long is 'awhile?!' You want me to trudge around some muddy farming shanty town full of peasants and act like -"

Lydia cleared her throat, and again Trillium closed her mouth, glaring dourly. "We wouldn't normally send a Knight on a task like this, but when I heard of it, I requested that you especially be assigned to it. I thought you would be glad for some time away from training and, more importantly, I thought some time spent actually serving the people of the country might do you some good. It's a chance for you to gain a sense of perspective." In reality, of course, Lydia had snapped up an opportunity that might take Trillium down a peg or two. "Instill some humility in you. That's an important part of our work, Trillium."

"I certainly will not! I'm a lady! You can't send me out there to...! To...! With those... dirt people!"

"There is one man in particular who has been concerned about the wood witch," Lydia continued, ignoring Trillium's outburst. "He's an older man: feeble and worried about the safety of his self and his home. He hasn't any children, so the village has requested that you pay special attention to him."

"But... but... what if there really is a witch?" Trillium demanded. She could not believe Lydia was doing this to her! "What do I do then?"

Now Lydia's smile widened. "Just what we've done in training. Your Adharaism is unusually strong, Trillium. I am confident that you will be able to handle whatever you encounter there. And if you find you have difficulties, perhaps it will inspire you to dedicate more time to your training."

And that was that. Before she knew it, Trillium found herself trudging through the muddy fields beets and cabbages on her way to this godforsaken little village. Dressed in smart leather armor (she'd flatly refused to wear mail!) with her dark, long hair braided and a black-pommeled longsword slung over her back, Trillium looked every part a Knight of the White Lily. Her youth, rather than detracting from this, only reminded the villages of the original Adhara. The relief and happiness at her arrival was palpable. Trillium could not have hated it more!

Lion

Some things were just easier said than done.  And as could be expected Tenran was not happy about any of it.  The bounty should have been easy, should have been a piece of autumn pumpkin pie!  But instead it was just quickly becoming a pain in the ass.  The bounty was a lucrative one on some old fart that went by the name of Josef Bonacher, a thief, conman, and a dirty lech.  That alone was reason enough to off the 60 year old bastard.  However, it seemed the primary quandary was that people had a hard time singling him out from the usual rabble of garbage that ended up on the local bounty list.

Tenran was dogged, frustrated, but dogged and wouldn't let the bastard get out of his grasp so easily.  Where he may have evaded the clutches of other bounty hunters after him, Tenran had enough of a good description, and committed it to memory enough to be capable of finding and identifying him.  Tenran had the luck to have Liana sketch him out three possible portraits from the description he had; and her hand proved well and true. 

Most if not all people he questioned about the man, seemed to settle on one in particular.  An older man with small beady eyes beneath white caterpillar-like brows.  Hair grew patchily on his head, coming up in wild tufts about his ears and sideburns.  A thick, ugly beard grew from his stubby chin, billowing out from underneath his crooked nose like overgrown weeds, gnarled and nasty.

The most recent lead told him Bonacher was hold up somewhere in the vicinity of a small farming community deep in the hills of the Valley, no doubt feeling comfortable enough to come up with his latest scheme.  Rumours of a witch were pouring out of the woodwork and there wasn't a doubt in the bounty hunter's mind that Bonacher would find some way to cash in on the locals' fear.

The sky was uncooperative and muggy clouds proved to want to dampen his progress when he finally trudged through the mud between huts and mud-brick houses.  A hood was draped over his head and dabbled here and there with heavy raindrops.  He was a little cold, but his leather armor provided enough comfort and insulation to at least keep him dry.  There were worse things than a little a little rain.

"Bonacher, I wonder what name you're hiding under now?" Tenran grumbled to himself. 

He supposed the best place to start would be with asking the locals.  So when he  knocked on the door of a young couple, Tenran braved the cold welcome and presented the portrait sketch to them.  "I'm sorry to bother you on such a lovely day, my good man," Tenran said cleverly, with a flashing grin.  "But I was just wondering if you would happen to know where I can find my old uncle!  You see, him and my father haven't been speaking for years, some old feud that's been going on since before I was born, and I've been trying to find him, to give him a letter he wrote just before he died.  He hadn't the courage to give it to him the few chances he had before he died.  As his son, it was the least I could do for him, and for my uncle."

The husband in the doorway, seemingly fresh on army leave, was moved by his words – and Tenran was inwardly amused at the thought that he actually fell for it – and took a good look at the picture.  "Well, I'm sure that must be old Albrecht Darroway, lives in a li'l old shack down at the base of the hill due west of the village.  My wife told me he's a-gonna find a way to break the witch's curse.  But we ought to watch out just in case she tries to take revenge or stop him.  Your uncle, he's a right smart man, Mr. ..er."

"Thank you so much, good sir.  Here for your troubles.  Sorry to cut our talk so short, but thank you for your time.  I must be going now," Tenran quickly took his sketch back and in doing so, slipped the man a coin in his hand before pocketing it and stepping away, heading toward the western edge of town.  The man had told him interesting bits of information, that Bonacher planned somehow to break a witch's curse, no doubt the apparent 'cause' of the poor crop produced in the village.  He wondered what sort of complexities the old fart was trying to pull to steal what gold he could from these poor superstitious folk.

The house wasn't difficult to spot, and he did the only thing he felt was right to do, and he knocked on the thin shack door.  "Mr. Darroway!  Mr. Darroway, I've seen her!  I've seen the witch!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

Josef Bonacher was no fool. The 'harmless old man' spent as little time alone as possible. None if he could help it! And the big-hearted villagers were only too happy to pay visits and help care for the kindly old man who'd proven such a boon to their community! So when the knocking and cries about a witch came at 'Mr. Darroway's' door, it was a terror-stricken middle-aged woman who opened the door to find Tenran.

"The witch?! You seen her?" she asked, mouth agape. "Oh lord and mercy me! Someone call the Knight!"

Another woman, younger and by the looks of it the woman's daughter, ran to join the first at the door.  "You've seen the witch?" she aske Tenran directly, a bit more collected than the older woman. "Where was she? Was she attacking anyone? Is everyone okay."

Her questions were intercut by the older woman's loud cries for, "Lady Delancy! Adhara! Lady Delancy!" Only then, after both women had seen this new man and were standing between Tenran and the house, did 'Mr. Darroway' appear behind them, the loud 'knock knock knock' of his walking stick on the hardwood floors announcing his approach. He might be, by first appearance, old and feeble, but his eyes were still sharp and clear and registered immediately that Tenran was not one of the villagers or even one of the seasonal farmhands. A young boy, presumably the son of the younger woman, accompanied him, helping him along.

"Yes," he agreed in his grizzled old voice, then nodded to the  "fetch the Knight of the White Lily."

Trillium, meanwhile, had been hanging idly about Darroway's farm, feeding acorns to the pigs. Or, rather, throwing acorns in the direction of the pigs. She'd already heard some of the commotion when little Eoin Connor came running wildly in her direction, the fear of god blazing in his eyes. Trillium had, as much as she'd tried very not to like any of the filthy peasants here, developed some sort of friendship with the young boy. Not the kind where they were actually 'friends' in the traditional sense, but the sort where she tolerated his presence and he was in awe of her. "Trillium, Trillium!" he cried as he approached. "The witch! A man has come and said he saw the witch! He's at Mr. Darroway's! Oh, save us, Trillium!"

Great. There wasn't even supposed to be a witch! Just a bunch of superstitious townsfolk and a sadistic trainer who wanted her mentee to suffer in this mudhole. And what would she do if there was a witch? She had no idea! Tackle it, maybe, to force the creature into the influence of her Adharaism and then get one of the villagers to hog tie the village? Well, it seemed like as good a plan as any. If utterly undignified. Maybe the witch would just see her with the crest of the white lily on her armor and... take off on her own. That'd be fine. Trillium liked that plan much better.

It wasn't long after Eoin had flown from 'Mr. Darroway's' shack before Trillium marched towards the little assembly (her marching, it might be noted, looked suspiciously like an unhappy child who was stomping) with her perpetually surly expression. She pulled up just short of the gathering, then straightened herself as an afterthought, and regarded Tenran, chin raised, with an air of haughtiness. This was, perhaps, the only trait of an Adhara that was genuine on her. "Where, um, is the witch?" she demanded, not trying half as hard to sound tough and authoritative as she ought.

Lion

The least of his expectations would be to find two others in his midst.  But the last thing he needed to do was to allow himself to underestimate the intelligence and foresight of one such as Josef Bonacher.  He didn't get to be his ripe old age by being an idiot, as most young idealistic warriors tended to be.  They rushed headlong into the fray with no care for the consequences, and end up the dead fools they wanted to be all along.  But those that utilized what brains they had could more or less see through to the next day.  Well, most of them.

And Josef Bonacher was certainly among them.

Despite the initial surprise and watching the little boy scurrying out from the two women that blocked the door, Tenran nodded to the both of them and moved to allow them exit from the doorway, just as Bonacher was behind them, using them as human shields , as it were.  "Yes!  I saw her on my way through the hills.  I didn't think the rumors were true," Tenran played along, perfectly molding his face into a look of despair and grief.  He turned and saw the Knight approaching them and immediately ran to her side, holding arm.

"You've got to do something!   I saw her!  Oh, Heaven's Fire!  I saw her and she was dreadful to behold.  You're a knight of the While Lily?  You must do something.  She is East of here, in the hills.  I was just passing through, when I heard the story from Alterstad Inn, you know the one up the road from here.  And he told me to beware the witch's curse.  I thought it all folly until I saw her with my own eyes!"  Tenran was livid and the both girls shrieked and held their hands to their mouths, trying to quell their fear.

Bonacher regarded him with small eyes and pulled out a piece of twig that got entangled in his thick gnarled beard somehow.  But at the growing anxiety between the women and the small boy, he held his tongue for the moment.

"And she's coming this way!  She's coming!  By Ansgar's wrath.  She had the most horrid beady eyes I've ever seen, like black diamonds and she gazed not just at me, but through me, as if she could yank my very soul from my body without warning at all.  But she must have known I was coming this way.  She wanted me to tell you Mr. Darroway!  The innkeeper, he told me you were helping here, that you had a plan to drive her away!  But oh...god...I don't know if I could ever sleep again.  Just the thought of darkness makes me quake with fear."

The older woman quickly turned to Bonacher and grabbed at his shoulders, then looked at Trillium pleadingly.  "Please!  You've got to do something!  We haven't had a proper crop in so long, we'll soon starve to death if she doesn't get us first!  Lady Delancy please!"

"Now, wait, wait!" Bonacher suddenly cried out, throwing his hands up, seemingly in an attempt to keep order of the situation, but even Tenran could see the annoyance in his eyes.  "He said he saw the witch!  But he didn't say how far she was from here.  Can you tell us then, traveler, just where you saw her?"

Tenran trembled and moved closer to the old man, making his eyes wider and crazed in their appearance.  Bonacher visibly leaned back as Tenran lightly pressed a hand on his shoulder.  It took everything he had not to puke at the wretched smell of the old man for even barnyard animals smelled better than he did.  "I was but a day's out when I saw her.  Can't you tell from the redness of my eyes? I couldn't sleep, I rushed here as fast as I could.  It was horrible..."  And before Bonacher could say anything, Tenran took his hand from his shoulder and clamped his hands together like a hammer, shortly before slamming them into Bonacher's gut and making him double over in pain, and stumbling backwards.

The women shrieked and little Eoin clung to Trillium's leg, crying out, "Mr. Darroway!"

"Trick's up, Mr. Bonacher.  Time to say goodbye to these lovely people," Tenran grumbled as he reached down and plucked the old man by his shirt, giving him a good shake.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

"He's in league with the witch! Help, oh help!"

The older woman cried this out while the younger stood frozen between her and the two men, as if uncertain if she should act or not, or what she might do.

"We have to do something! Come on!" This time it was little Eoin. Trillium had just shaken the boy from her leg when he decided he could also be brave like a knight (not that Trillium was being particularly brave herself) and flew from the girl's side and forced his little body between the bounty hunter and the old man. "You stop it! Don't hurt Mr. Darroway! He's going to save us from the witch!"

Through this whole thing, Trillium hadn't managed to get a word in edgewise with all the clucking from this 'traveler' and the two village women. She'd thought at first that Tenran was being rather an old hen about the whole thing. Maybe he was disturbed. But then the action had started faster than Trillium could process it, and Eoin threw himself into the fray before she could grab him.

Great. Just great.

Lydia had said nothing was going to happen on this assignment. It was just meant for Trillium to have to drag herself through the mud and hang about with these boring, dirty peasants for a few weeks. There wasn't even meant to be a witch! Much less a witch's sidekick or whatever this guy was. Now he was attacking an old man and maybe even a child if she didn't do something. She didn't want to do something, but for Angsar's sake, even she knew you couldn't just stand idly by while some loon threw about geriatrics and children. Now she would have to get involved... maybe physically!... everyone was looking to her now, she knew. But she was a lady! She wasn't meant to fight or put herself in danger or... any of this distasteful business. Curse witches and all their little henchmen! Everyone, it seemed, had it out for her.

So resignedly, Trillium drew her blade and held it out unconvincingly in front of her, taking a step or two towards Tenran. His back was to her, she supposed she could just hit him while his attention was on Eoin and Darroway. But she didn't want to hit anyone, not with a sword, and with blood everywhere! She hated the lot of it. Despite how much she might hate it, though, and how unenthused she looked with the blade now, swordsmanship had been one thing in training that she had managed to do okay at, despite her best efforts not to. Still, that doesn't mean she wanted to have to use the blade for real. On a real person. With other real people actually, really depending on her for her safety!

"Okay, alright, look here, you," she said  as she approached Tenran, reticently trying to sound authoritative, "step back from the old man and, uh, don't touch the boy. Or I'll, I'll... your sorcery won't work here, wizard, you just... stand back. Don't make me, you know, slice you up, or... I'll do it, too!"

Lion

Tenran would not be bothered by the little boy, whose futile attempts to save "Albrecht Darroway" proved to be more annoying than effective.  What was more, when the Knight pulled out her sword and lamely held it against him, Tenran gave her a wide-eyed glare from over his shoulder.  "You better put that knife down before you get hurt, little girl!" he growled at her, pay her little mind.  But still, he knew a blade in unskilled hands were just as dangerous, if not more, than adept ones and he wasn't about to take any chances.

If she was really a Knight of the White Lily, maybe there was a chance she would listen to reason.  and the little punches and shoves the boy was striking against him were really starting to piss him off.  he nudged him away like an excitable dog and grit his teeth at the young Knight.  "I'm not witch's fool or lackey!  This man here is a wanted criminal in at least three provinces, for theft, conspiracy, and many other crimes rather too heinous to name!  Isn't that right, Mr. Josef Bonacher?"  Tenran shook his collar a little and Bonacher howled and tried feebly to break his grip.

"I know no one by that ridiculous name!  Now unhand me, you heathen!" Darroway huffed and chuffed.

"Bonacher, if you don't come quickly, I'll have to take you by force!"

"The Witch!  By Ansgar, he's in league with the her!" the woman cried.

"That's just a farce, I'm sure Bonacher has sold you to con you out of everything you own!" Tenran growled.  "There is no witch!"

"HA!  A proper lie!  The greatest feat of all evil is convincing you it does not exist!" 'Darroway' cried.

"Oh, shut up!" Tenran frankly was getting quickly fed up with all the runaround.  "I'm Tenran Cyneran," he said addressing Trillium.  "I'm a bounty hunter.  This is Josef Bonacher!  And he's coming with me!"

Eoin would have none of it and promptly struck Tenran n the groin, hard enough to make him jump and flinch inwardly.  But the blow had been light and Tenran gave the small boy a proper kick to the hind quarters when he grabbed him by the shirt to spin him around.

Glaring back at Trillium, eyes clearly exasperated, he huffed, "Well!?  Will, you let me take him or I do I have to drag him by the beard!?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

If Trillium had been more-or-less indifferent to Tenran, other than what duty obliged, she hardened when he called her 'little girl' and told her to 'put her knife away.' She was a Knight of the White Lily! (Well, in training.) Who was he talk to her like that? Sure, she didn't want to be a Knight, but she was one anyway, and at least that demanded some modicum of respect! She set her jaw, standing straighter and more confident now, her expression harder and more determined.

She listened to his arguments with old 'Mr. Darroway' with narrowed eyes, not entirely sure what to make of it. He was right, of course, there wasn't meant to be an actual witch. Lydia had told her the rumors probably just stemmed for the bad crops the town had been suffering; easier to have a scapegoat. Trillium, frankly, didn't know if the start rumors corresponded to Darroway's arrival in the town. They might, who knew, and more importantly she didn't want this to get out of hand. Trillium didn't want to have to actually do anything.

"If you're who you say you are and not the servant of the witch," she said firmly, "and he," she nodded to the old man, "is who you say he is, a criminal and not an innocent old man as we know him to be, then surely you won't object to my accompanying you to deliver him to the authorities you claim want him. I can't let you drag an old man out of town without any proof that he's a criminal. Not when you  might be taking him to the witch." She kept her sword raised and was still tense, but hoped very much the man would agree to this and everything would calm down. And anyway, she'd get to leave this awful village! "What do you say? If you are lying I, I shall have to kill you, obviously."

Though Trillium hoped the situation was about to wrap up, Eoin's mother wasn't about to stand idly by waiting for this mad man to agree to her terms - especially after the man had kicked her little son! She darted quickly to the small fireplace and, grabbing one of the iron pokers, swung it at Tenran's head.

Lion

After Eoin had been kicked, the little boy had yelped and ran back to his mother, shortly before she went in to reach for a hot poker.  If it wasn't for the little boy's cry of "Mama!" Tenran might have been struck by that piece of iron!  Instead he ducked and the metal struck Bonacher in the face.  The force of the blow was enough to break Tenran's grip and knock the old man out with a single blow, collapsing him to the ground.  The woman stood back, stunned, but Tenran shrugged.  "Well, at least he's quiet," he replied with a sigh.

He looked back at Trillium, he gave her a sigh and gestured to the old man. "Fine!  Just don't get in the way!  And tell these people to calm down!  Because if they assault me, I will defend myself!  Yeah!  That means you Lady Firepoker!"

The woman shrieked and tried to hit Tenran again, and he stepped around her, causing her to fall in the mud!  "Don't let him take Mr. Darroway!  He's the only protection we have against the witch!"   Tenran just rolled his eyes grabbed the limp body of Josef Bonacher and dragged him to his limp, unconscious feet. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Trillium winced as the poker struck Mr. Darroway full in the face. Ouch. She'd honestly never liked Darroway. But, then again, she didn't really like any of the people here. Still, she frowned a sour frown at Tenran's threats.

"Oh yeah, you're a real big tough guy, aren't you?" she asked loudly when he threatened to defend himself against the villagers. "Kicking little kids and then threatening their defenseless," well, sort of defenseless, "mothers and throwing them into the mud. You ought to be really proud of yourself, you know that?" Kind of getting into the flow of her new act, Trillium pointed her sword anew at Tenran and added sternly, "You touch one more person here and I'll slice your arm off, got it?"

Yeah. Maybe she would, too. It'd be so super gross, but it'd serve him right! Coming here and knocking around her villagers and threatening them and kicking little Eoin! Wait, was she starting to think of them as her villagers? Oh boy. She needed to get out of here. The sooner the better. Good thing she'd already demanded that she accompany this 'bounty hunter' out of the village. Lydia couldn't get mad at her for leaving under these circumstances, right? What else was there to do?

"Don't worry, Misses Collins," Trillium said, helping the woman up from the ground and glaring daggers at Tenran. "I'll get to the bottom of this whole business. You here don't need to worry while we're gone and we'll be back before you know it. Hopefully with the witch's head."

She threw that last bit in for the woman's benefit. Trillium Delancy was cutting off no heads!

Then she let go of Misses Collins and dashed in front of Tenran's path, squaring up in front of him. "And just how are you going to carry him, then? I'm not letting you drag him the whole way."

Lion

Tenran could tell just by her attitude, this was going to be a LONG journey back to the magistrate's office.  He gave her an audible sigh before altering his grip on Bonacher and setting the man down for a moment.  It was all he needed to bound his arms behind his back as a safety precaution.  One never could be too prepared when it came to slippery sons of bitches like Bonacher.  And the Tenran tossed him over his shoulder.

"I'd drag him in the mud," he said plainly, "but apparently you think he's far too dignified for that!  So for now, over my should he goes.  Now less chattering and more walking.  Come along, 'Knight'"

He walked around her and without waiting for her as the day had already been long and he'd like to get some distance between himself and the villagers before the old codger woke up.  "You coming!?" he called out behind him.  "I don't have all day!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"I think every person is too dignified to drag in the mud," Trillium shot back at Tenran as she jogged to catch up with him after he'd sidestepped her and gone right on his way. This wasn't entirely true; Trillium typically didn't give much thought to what other people were too dignified her. But it was the sort of thing Lydia would say, she was sure, and she should probably keep up looking like a proper Knight.

When she finally drew up level to him, she suddenly realized she was still holding her sword. Oops. That, she knew, had been a mistake. It was foolish to run with a sword for no reason. But she sheathed it purposefully, as though she'd meant to keep it out until that moment.

To detract attention from this mistake, she glared at him again and said pointedly, "And I don't like that tone. I am a Knight. Or, at least, more than you are." She held the glare for a few moments as if to make a point, then asked, "So what kind of criminal is he meant to be, anyway?" Now that they were past the ears of the two women, her tone didn't sound quite as sympathetic to Old Mr. Darroway.

Lion

Tenran would tolerate her as long as she didn't do anything stupid.  Like untie his prisoner or get in the way!  She seemed young and hopefully not as naive as she made herself out to be.  Tenran lugged the heavy form of Bonacher along the trail and peered at the small girl in her leather armor with a raised brow. 

"I told you the truth, Knight of the Lily.  Bonacher is a special kind of criminal, he's too smart for his own good, using his  old age and wit to his advantage.  Most people aren't too unkind as to refuse an old man.  So he takes whatever he can get.  Money, free housing and food.  Free women if he can.  But his conning days are over.  And what is it to you?  Are you even really a knight?  What are you ten?  Twelve?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Trillium pulled a disgusted face at Tenran's comment about the old man taking 'free women, if he can.' Gross. Implying that anyone that old would still... could still!... gross. Clearly this 'bounty hunter' was some sort of pervert to even think something like that. Some sort of 'thinking about old people' pervert. Darroway was ancient!

"Are you really even a bounty-hunter?" Trillium countered with a meaningful, sidelong look at his limp and the odd brace on his leg. "What are you, sixty? Sixty-five?" She huffed and held her chin up in the air as if this whole thing were just completely beneath her. And what an insult, to be called twelve! "I'm sixteen, thank-you-very-much," she said with the sort of haughty indignation that was the trademark to teenage girls (and which held in it the obvious assumption that sixteen was unimaginably older than twleve!). "And I am a Knight of the White Lily. At least, I'm in training. I'm pretty sure my sadistic mentor sent me here as punishment."

Lion

Tenran have her a glare at her huff, which she seemed to be so conveniently in abundance of.  He looked her over once more, at her delicate boiled leather armor, and the sword she had hesitantly held, and the look of suspended intelligence and dutiful entitlement.  Her question annoyed him and she was lucky he didn't stop and make her lug around the smelly body of Josef Bonacher.

"Yes! I am a bounty hunter!  And I'm not sixty-five!"  He growled a little as he readjusted the weight of the old man and trudged on a little faster.  "I'm thirty-six, if you must know.  Are all Knights like you?  Or are you some kind of one of a kind?"  He rolled his eyes and gave a sigh.  At the mention of her mentor sending her to this hell hole of a village, he actually laughed.

"Can you really blame her?  I mean, a little good old fashion labor would do you some good.  Put some hair on your chest."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"I know you aren't sixty-five, just like I know you know that I'm not twelve!" Despite her words, her voice had lost just a little bit of its acidity and she even grinned a little when she asked, "A bit sensitive about your age, though?"

"And yes, I am one of a kind," she answered loftily, without any hint of the remark being even remotely tongue-in-cheek. "I certainly wasn't born to trudge around in the mud with armor and sword with some smelly old bounty hunter. Which doesn't mean I won't still hack you into pieces if you step out of line," she added hastily to remind him who was 'in charge' in this situation. "But you're lucky you found me instead of one of the fully-trained Adhara. They're much, much worse. I think it's the chastity business," she pulled a face, "it's just unnatural!" Probably Trillium should stick to the script a bit better, but she never could pass up an opportunity to complain about her unfortunate lot being thrown in with the Adhara!

Lion

"Well, all knights are stuffy and self-righteous.  Are you really sure that's a path you want to head down?  My advice is get out now while you're young.  Go lose your virginity while you still have the chance.  Don't wanna be old and saggy.  It's a lot harder to find someone willing to cut off your maidenhead that way.  I mean...unless you just happen to have the luck to have an old soldier fall into your lap, not having had a woman in years and he'll take the first fish he can get!"

Tenran laughed at his crude dialogue and gave a passing glance to the tiny girl that had the gumption to make herself out to be the leader of this expedition.  "Besides!  What makes you think  you can cut me to pieces anyway?  I'm sure if someone didn't tell you, you'd hold that sword of yours the wrong way.  Or trip and gut yourself on it!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

At first, Trillium looked revolted and overly offended at Tenran's comments. He really was a pervert, after all! And she'd thought it was bad talking about old Mr. Darroway 'taking women.' Of course, what had offended her most of all was the suggestion that she wouldn't always be beautiful or desirable. Of course... Trillium had somehow never quite thought of it this way. She'd been forced to train to be a Knight, and she knew being a Knight meant being chaste. She'd spent countless hours lamenting the life she'd have to lead, or tirading against how love and romance had been ripped away from her. Because she had to be a Knight, and Knights had to be chaste. Somehow Trillium had never stopped to think about whether not being chaste would have to mean one wasn't a Knight. What a fool she'd been! Suddenly, she looked at Tenran anew. Hmm.

"Oh, was I?" she asked after he told her she'd been holding the sword wrong, her tone perhaps too demure for comfort, and she began to finger her thick braid of black-hair distractedly, only throwing Tenran a quick, furtive glance. She was sure this was how it was done. "I'm afraid I'm a bit inexperienced when it comes to swords. But I bet a mature, experienced man like could teach me how to handle one properly."

Lion

Tenran peered at her from the corner of his eye. "I don't think I'd have the patience for teaching  anybody.  I'm sure your While Lily mentors are more than qualified for teaching you the finer points of swordplay and being a Knight," he replied.  "So tell me, er, whatever your name is, what were you really doing in that stinkhole village?  You don't really be believe there's a witch do you?  That would be quite amusing.  The Adhara, cunning and deadly, pulled into the scheme of an old man and his words of dispelling a witch's curse."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Trillium glared at Tenran's unceremonious dismissal of her clumsy attempts at seduction. And here she was, young and beautiful and in her prime! And he was just a stupid old cripple. Hmph. Well, Trillium wouldn't be put off if she decided not to be and she wasn't going to give up on possible avenues to Not Be a Knight, but she 'decided' to put it on the backburner for now.

"Whatever-my-name-is is Lady Trillium Delancy," she answered haughtily. "And I told you, I was sent here as punishment. And no, we didn't think there was a witch there. But my mentor said that 'it would be good to give the people peace of mind in these troubled times.' But I'm sure she really just wanted to humiliate me."

She didn't comment on whether or not she'd suspected any wrong-doing on Bonacher's part. The truth was she hadn't, but also that she just had not been paying any attention to it. Trillium had spent the better part of her time in the village sulking, and only marching about on patrols - simply trying to look impressive - as little as possible to keep up her 'presence' in the village.

At this moment a moan issued from Josef Bonacher, who was gradually waking up. Trillium just looked curiously at Tenran as if to ask 'what are you going to do now?' Then, remembering that it might be in her benefit to be at least a little in Tenran's favor, asked, "Do you want me to knock him across the head again?" This was, of course, a horrible offer to come from someone who wasn't yet convinced of the old man's guilt, but thinking of other people wasn't Trillium's strong point.

Lion

He didn't know how much longer he could take this.  Not that she was necessarily doing him anything more than passing the time, but he just wasn't used to having another person suddenly decide they wanted to tag along!  Especially some young twit that had gumption but little no brains to properly utilize it.  Though, he couldn't say he was any smarter than she was at her age.  He had signed up for the army then, and thought his future locked and promised.

Little did he know how much fate had in store for him.  That, however, was another thought for another time, and Tenran gave a grumpy scowl at the road up ahead.  He found it hard to believe that everything really was set against this girl.  Then again she was twe - no, sixteen.  She hadn't had time to develop common sense yet.

When Josef groaned, Tenran dropped the old man and let him land hard on the ground, knocking him awake from the pain that surged through the back of his skull.  "No, I don't think that will be necessary.  In fact, I think it might be better to have my smelly guest walk for a change.  He's a lot heavier than he looks," Tenran replied and watched as the old man moaned and groaned about on the ground.

"How you feeling, Mr. Bonacher?  Feeling well enough to walk?  You feel great, you say!?  Well, that's wonderful!"  Tenran snatched him up by the shoulder and shoved him along the road.  "Get stepping, or I'll shoot a bolt in your ass.  And you won't be faking that pain."

"You...you monster!" Bonacher howled and peered from the side to see Trillium following them.  "You, Adhara!  Please!  Save me from this horrible man!  He'll kill me surely!"

"Quiet!"

"You!  You foolish girl!  Don't fall for his tricks!  You're supposed to protect me!  What will the people think of you!?  The villagers!  Your mentors!"  Bonacher turned to Trillium and set his bound hands on her shoulder, trying to plead with her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn