Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tears of the Niafi

Started by visualspice, April 17, 2014, 11:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The public seemed to perceive her in a different light than anticipated, for it was more than obvious the upper class of merchant prince and princesses did not approve of the public humiliation of a slave's master, and also the decapitation of one. To think- the masters were punished but the slaves left to live? It seemed preposterous! And was enough to make the attentions towards the Shah down right poisonous. And more than once she had received anonymous letters that made threats at her life, and demanded she change her mind set and direction, lest her blood line be the last to sit on the throne of Essyrn.

Terrified after yet another threat at her life, and this time, the gifted jar was laced with a poisonous snake, she had taken to her room for most of the evening and the guards, doubled at her door. But even then, she could not shake this sense of fear and desperation that she was stumbling blindly through a path unseen, and had no idea what to make of how she felt and what was going on in this world around her.

The insolence of the merchant class was enough to make her more than irate- clearly those with wealth were not deserving of such powers if this was how they were to behave towards their very own Shah! How DARE they make threats to her- the very Shah, the vessel of Hakeshna herself! But even through her anger, the doubts stirred from within, and she kept thinking back to that angered glare coming from deep within the helmet of that slave who was the first to defy her of now many.

She shivered at the thought, and soon found herself crying, and unable to contain herself, and feeling as if the walls were closing in. She threw her veranda doors open and rushed out onto her balcony as she sobbed, and found herself welcoming the air as it cooled the tears flowing down her face. But in her brief run onto the balcony, a second gifted jar she had no seen was knocked over, and as it cracked open as it shattered upon the ground. SHe ignored it, not caring what it was as she threw herself against the balcony and cried, burying her face into her arms while ignoring the gorgeous sight of the sun set before her. The entire world was melting into a bed of colors, ranging from the hot blazing orange of the sun as it sunk over the horizon and capped the Niafi river in it's vibrant colors, and then streamed upwards into a bed of bright reds, which inevitably glowed nto the soft lacings of violet so high up in the sky, that were only begin to crown the world in  dusting of star light.

But even through her lamenting and her tears.. a chilling wind swept through the translucent white robes she wore, but that was not what sent a sudden shiver down her spine. For the sound of something made her turn. She whirled around and gasped at the hissing presence of a black asp and before she knew what was going on, the dark snake struck out, aiming to bite her leg.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

The metallic whistle of steel moving against the air rung out loudly in the evening air.  The black snake found itself sliced in two just three inches below the neckline and the body fell, wriggling outward toward Persea and blood seeped out from either end of the mangled creature's body.  The blow had been quick ,decisive, and despite the proximity of the animal toward the Shah's ankle, it was precisely aimed and there hadn't been a hint of hesitation in the hand the long scimitar blade resided in. 

The blood that stained the middle and longer end of it and the hand gripped the hilt tightly before raising the blade and taking a cloth in the other and swiping it along the edge of it before returning the weapon into the ornately decorated sheath.  The hilt was strapped securely to the hip of a man garbed in white silken robes that flowed coolly in the breeze coming in from the river Niafi and the coming evening.  His belt was stitched leather, wrapped over a deep blue sash that wrapped over the layered robes on his torso and the equally silken trousers.  He wore a braided rope around his head, holding his dark hair back from his face, it's reddish tinge visible in the falling daylight.  His face almost carved over stone and smoothed over to reveal a proud clean-shaven face with regal features and gray-green eyes reflecting back at her.

Guards rushed in after him, their weapons drawn suddenly pointed at the man and he turned to them, confident that even they wouldn't simply run him through.  "Forgive my intrusion, good men," he said in a deep, voice, but with a noticeable gentleness that made them men blink at him in minor confusion.  "I understand your alarm, but I drew my blade not at your Shah, but at the small creature that surely could have ended her life even before she took notice of it!  Please stay your hand.  I am but a Messenger of the Clan Abd-Amal.  I am Attila Al'Razar!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

It all happened so fast. One moment a serpent leaped out from the coils of darkness, and in a flash of silver, it fell into a pile of it's own blood. She stared in shock at the thing, before hearing the approach of guards. It was only here she turned to regard both the man who saved her, and the men that had approached, and her mind was in a whirl over what had happened, as she fought against her own emotions to steel them away and remain the perfected figure head that was bound to her duties as The Shah.

Her heart was still beating a mile a minute, the veranda, having turning quiet in the approaching dark as her eyes flickered back and forth between man and guard.
"I..." and then she closed her lips and rose her head up proudly, being ignorant, for the time being, o fher tears. "Yes, be still with your weapons. This man had rescued me." And then to this Attila Al'Razar, she narrowed her gaze. "And you, who so conveniently saved my life, how on earth did you get on my veranda?" And more important... who was Attila Al'Razar?

She held a breath, blinking back any more tears as she tried to focus her vision and kept her eyes locked upon this rescuer. And as she did so, she rather wished she hadn't just been crying, for now she felt suddenly very self conscious- for the man was a gorgeous and handsome man, with rugged, strong features that made her heart leap at first sight. And she- well she, a proclaimed beauty of the Niafi, the very jewel of the desert they'd say- why, here she was, red eyed and puffy cheeked from tears having to meet someone who, for all she knew, was of grave importance.

Little did she know what sort of importance he was....
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

The guards did lower their weapons, if with extreme hesitation as Attila's hand came away from his own weapon as well and he relaxed visibly.  He bowed his head again to the Shah once she had set it upon herself to address him.  "I am deeply apologetic to have the first words of our meeting spoken over drawn blades.  But I admire your gaurdsmen for doing all they would to protect their Shah, and I willl excuse such an action at weapons being drawn against me for only such a reason.  The Clan Abd-Amal, would not like to hear of one of thier messengers being attacked or abused in any way." Attila bowed again and looked at the Shah right in the eyes.

"Please, Your Eminence, excuse my strange arrival, but I was in fact let in by your men from the Servant's corridor.  Though it seems a bit of a lesser method entry for a man of my station, I believe I was too distracted by the news I bear to be too offended. I explained my urgency and the guards led me right to your chambers, I'm afraid.  Please do think too harshly of them.  For they too were only doing their duty."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

The intense gaze of his eyes was enough to make her gape, and once he was done speaking, the place fell silent, and in that silence she realized it was her turn to speak.
"I... well," she said, still finding it difficult to form the proper words. "Well, with what urgency do you speak?" Clearly it was of grave importance to use such... methods and she- too emotional to question it.

Lion

Attila bowed his head once more and his expression was no less grave.  "Clan Abd-Amal owns several territories north of the city, Your Eminence," he began.  "And thus far their own forces have been sufficient in policing their own borders against minor bands of brigands, raiders, and rival princes.  But something even they didn't account for occurred when the many slaves they owned suddenly spurred a violent, and bloody uprising.  They killed Abari Abd-Amal, the reigning Prince in his bed.  His wife managed to escape with her grown sons.  Abari II, his son, tried to rally their forces, but many of their own guards were slaughtered before they could make any kind of effective counterstrike.  They escaped with a small contingent of armed guards that remained and request refuge in the city of Essyrn."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Persea stood in horror at such news, and not being accompanied by her High Priest, she had absolutely no idea what to do.
"The slaves were fighting?" It was madness! How could this be? "And killing merchant lords?"
After a moment of gaping in shock, she set her jaw and threw back on her mask, and despite the echo of tears on her face, she righted her shoulders and stared at this man so boldly and said, "Then we are to take quick action. Are there intelligences as to the where abouts of these run away slaves? Clearly they need to be made an example of for disobeying their masters. I would have thought the examples I set earlier would have quelled any doubts for this sort of reaction in slaves, but it seems I'll have to go right to the source!"

Lion

"May I assume from your reaction," he began tentatively.  "That Abari II and his family may be allowed refuge here in the city?"  His expression was careful not to be too hopeful, but he let his eyes relax a little.  "I cannot say for certain of the positioning of the slaves in question, Your Grace, as I am only an emmissary.  But from our latest reports had the slaves holding the siezed territory  of the Abd-Amal family.  The Clan was quite prominent in the trade, you see and owned more than three hundred slaves, separated as needed in their holdings.  The slaves are armed little more than farm equipment...but that was when they first rose up.  There's no telling what they may have now."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"His family?" Persea pressed her lips firmly together into a frown. "This is a palace, not a refugee camp. I... I'll have to speak to my High Priest. Accomodations could be made at the city temple, but that's about as much as I can afford to give. It is Hakeshna's will to protect, so it is to her sanctuary they should go."

Lion

"Perhaps you did not hear the beginning of my message, Your Grace," Attila said tentatively.  "I said they would like refuge within the city, not the Palace.  I believe even Prince Abari II would be too prideful to assert such a notion."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Persea, who had indeed, been too wrapped up in her own emotions, misheard him as her cheeks turned pink at the notion.
"Yes, forgive me, I did mishear you." And her voice notably lost the authority she had been projecting but a moment before. "Yes, of course that would be fine. Hakeshna's temple welcomes all, and if any merchant family's can spare the rooms, I'm sure they would reach out to those in need while they remain beneath Hakeshna's care."

Lion

Attila allowed himself a small smile, though he would never be so presumptuous as to make it an amused smile, when she remembered what he'd actually said.  Sharp, he thought, when she isn't hamped down by others telling her what to think.

"Abd-Amal have allies within the city, but of course they sought permission first before entering what is most effectively your domain, Your Grace," he said with a nodding bow of his head.  "I'm sure Prince Abd-Amal would be most gracious for your hospitality.  Thank you, not only from my Lord, but from myself as well."  And he allowed himself a reverent bow.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Drawing back on her earlier mishap, she felt foolish and wanted to correct herself.
"Earlier, when I... mentioned no homage here, it did not mean the family could not dine with me or take an audience so that I may personally hear their tale. After what has been going on...." Surely this man had known about the acts in the arena... "There have been.. whispers that... that the slave are unhappy." And this made her frown. To think! She had shone them leniency! The nerve!

Lion

Attila did not need to look behind him to see that the guards had taken their cue to allow the Shah privacy in her audience with the visitor, for he felt the door quietly close behind them.  At the mention of the events in the Arena, Attila stiffened, if only a little.

"Such rumors...would certainly explained what happened to Abd-Amal," Attila said steadily and he tilted his head.  "I will tell my liege your message and I am certain he will be available to tell you the tale himself within a few hours."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Lord... Al'Razar, was it?" she could not for the life of her recall if he had a title... "You.. you've traveled far, come. Sit with me in my personal chambers so that I may offer you water or wine, whichever you desire. I am indebted to you. Not only have you informed me of news that is of grave importance, but you also saved my life."

Lion

His expression widened visibly since he had not at all expected the hospitality of the Shah to be extended to him.  There was a brief moment of silence as he considered turning down her proposal, as he had many other places to be at the moment.  But it would not do to refuse the Shah.

Not now at any rate.

Attila bowed his head again.  "It would be my honor, Your Grace.  But please, call me Attila," he said and gave her a genuine smile.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Attila," and she gave a nod, only then noticing it was such a handsome man who had rescued her, and she found herself unable to control a blush. "Very well, follow me." And she moved past the curtains from this section of her room into the much larger portion, and here, it was even grander than most of the main halls in the common merchant prince's homes. Though she had many generations backing the foundations for such a prestigious and opulent palace, it was all hers, every sparkling corner of it.

Moving into a room layered in lush pillows, she snapped her fingers and had her slaves bring them both water and wine, and she moved to fill a basin in which for them to bath their hands and feet. She, naturally went first, blessing it over in Hakeshna's name, before setting the small bath down beside him to do the same. Then goblets were filled and the drink, offered as she took a set on a floor level throne and smiled over at the man she was to entertain.
And it was only when the goblet was raised to her lips did she realize....

This was the first time entertaining a man...
alone.

"Please, sit, and be comfortable."

Lion

It was a strange sensation, to be served so quickly and efficiently at the hands of servants that knew their place and knew it well.  Attila wondered if the slaves owned by Abd-Amal had once felt the same way.  Apparently if they did, that was a long forgotten sentiment. 

He cleaned his feet and his hands, abandoning his soft shoes which were taken by servant to be left out of the main room as his eyes took in the rest of the chambers.  He was in awe, of that there was no doubt.  Of course what one single woman would do with so much space left much to the imagination.  He thanked the slave with a nod, though he said nothing and followed the Shah to her array of pillows. 

He knew how the Princes arranged their sitting situations, and they were not all that different than that of the Shah's.  He took his place, two paces across from her, but not quite in front of her and crossed his legs before him.  "Thank you, Your Grace," he said once more, bowing his head.  He took the offered wine, holding it delicately before he raised it to his nose, gave it a good smell of what it deserved before sampling it.  "Ah, Sedivera Vintage 95.  An excellent choice, Your Grace.  You have fine taste."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

A dimpled smile graced her face.
"And you know your wine," she said, most pleased.

Lion

"But of course," Attila nodded.  "My father was a collector of rare and exotic drinks, wines in particular.  The rarer and more exotic the better.  I dabbled in the hobby myself a little.  Sedivera was amongt his favored of Serenian wineries."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn