Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Sirrush and the Scam Artist

Started by kleineklementine, May 29, 2015, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

[[Tags to @Lion! I'm the worst at coming up with thread titles. D:]]

The rearing of a Sirrush clutch was serious work. And this was the first time Kaya Nawar Aram would be responsible for her own! The hatching of the clutch, and the subsequent care of the hatchlings, was a major undertaking for the parents - all three of them, in Kaya's 'herd' - and for the Sirrush breeder. With temperamental adults and vulnerable hatchlings, Kaya and her Sirrush left her tribe and set up camp on their own. For the hatching and first month or so of the hatchlings lives, they would seek out a safe and secluded spot in the desert to tend to the young. Somewhere secluded enough to avoid bandits and predators, but sheltered enough to protect the young (and the rest of them) from the desert elements, and close enough to a well that Kaya could go collect water every few days. And hospitable enough to keep the small herd of goats that would feed the Sirrush during these tenuous times.

And Kaya had found somewhere perfect. On her own! A shrubby hillside on the border of a sand sea, topped with jagged, bare rock formations that would provide the perfect nesting place for the Sirrush, and cover for all of them. The nest and Kaya's tent could easily be hidden between the rocks. So this is where they'd spend the next few months: Kaya, the three Sirrush, a small herd of goats, a dog whose primary job was to look after said goats, and a donkey.

It was the donkey that Kaya was leading down to the well, a little more than an hour's journey from her camp. But when they arrived, the young Alawi girl gave a gasp. Because there was something else at the well other than water! Laying face-down besides the well was a... a man!. Dressed in northerners' clothing, he was laying face-down in the sand, unconscious or maybe even dead.

Kaya looked urgently around for any bandits who might have ambushed him at the well, but there was no one. A lost traveler who had underestimated the desert, she guessed. She looked at the donkey, as if for guidance. "You're right," she said begrudgingly, "I have to check."

Cautiously, she approached the man, little by little, as though he were some dangerous animal that might bite her. When she got close enough, she gave him a little nudge. But he didn't move. Grimacing, she got a little bit closer to push him hard enough to turn him over. He definitely was a northerner. She could tell by his skin which, while probably normally fair, was burned red from the sun. Nearly as red as the dark red hair matted against his forehead. But he was breathing. Kaya could see the shallow rise and fall of his chest. "Um, hello?" she asked tenuously, nudging him with her boot. No response.

Hm. Kaya drew water from the well, pouring a little bit of it over the man's face. Still no response. Well. There was no way around it. If she left him here, he wouldn't still be breathing for long. Kaya drew the water to fill the two large jugs she'd brought along - they'd still need water, even more so if the man survived - and then looked at the donkey. "We can't just leave him," she said, as if anticipating the donkey's protest. The only challenge was getting the man onto the donkey. "Just, don't kick him off, okay?"

Then Kaya braced herself to lug the man upwards, nearly falling over under his weight. But she was stronger than she looked, and in a few minutes of awkward manhandling, she managed to get the man up onto the donkey, who brayed in protest. Time to head back.

When he woke, the man would find himself alone in a tent, laying on a bed of colorful rugs. Worst of all for Kaya, he'd find himself peeled out of the torn and tattered, salt-encrusted clothing she'd found him in (and it had been quite a job, undressing and redressing a man with her eyes scrunched closed through half of it!). Instead, he'd find himself in a tunic that, sure, was long on Kaya, but came down only mid-thigh on the man. It was the only thing she'd had that'd fit him!

Lion

What had he been thinking?  Going all the way out here and getting lost!  And then getting waylaid by fucking desert marauders.  His life had all the makings for a bad adventure story.  Because normal people didn’t wander around aimlessly with nothing more than a few stories in search for a mystical creature that probably didn’t exist.

Quinlan wondered when he was going to wise up and stop going on these ridiculous wild goose chases for unsavory proprietors that  were unwilling to go and do it themselves.  He was the one taking all the risk after all.  Maybe that was why he did it…  The risk maybe was all he needed to get on by.  It was better than nothing.  Might as well get his kicks while he was young enough to enjoy them.  It didn’t matter anyway; it was just him.

Yet there was an incredible loneliness in wandering that desert.  And he was quite certain he’d never seen so much space in all his life.  The land was varied, and there were all sorts of interesting shapes to behold, so many nooks and crannies for people to hide in, creatures likely hidden from the rest of the world.    But that wonderment would not keep him alive, and he was alone without decent supplies.  He suppose if he was going to die anywhere, at least it was from the elements on not his foolish condition.

It was all dream he knew however.  All a bad, uncomfortable dream which he would soon wake from.  Unless he really was dead, in which case it’d been a good go.  He always knew he’d croak in some place exotic.  It was kind’ve like vacation.

Gods, this bed was the most comfortable thing he’d slept on in a while.  And that sure beat burying himself in sand.  Maybe he was buried in sand.  He did feel kind’ve itchy.  Skin tingled and he felt something breathing on him.  Well, shit.  Not dead.  That was a shame. 

“Get off me, quadballs,” he griped and opened his eyes, looking at dog staring down at him.  Quinlan shoved the dog away.  He tried to sit up but every motion stung.  And he looked at his hands and arms and saw that they were red.  “Your breath smells,” he informed the dog idly.  “And why am I in a dress?”

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

After lugging the man back to camp and setting him up in the tent, Kaya had made sure to keep herself busy so she didn't just hover over and stare at him. A man! In her tent! A foreign man. Her mother would flay her alive if she found out. But what was she supposed to have done? She couldn't have just left him there fore dead! So instead, she busied about her chores, feeding and grooming the donkey, milking the goats, chatting with the Sirrush and helping them find whatever extra piece of rock that was absolutely necessary to add to the nest. She'd just realized that the dog was missing when she heard from the tent...

Kaya sprang over to the tent, nearly tripping over the carefully stored urn of goats milk as she did, and half-blundered half into the tent. For a moment, she just stared at the pair, red-faced red-haired man and dog. The dog also had red fur, as a matter of fact, it was a short-furred dog with huge, bat-like ears and a slender face and frame; all the better to survive the desert.

"Eh! Get out of here!" she scolded the dog, who was after all shirking his duties. "Get back to the goats." Her brow, turquoise-ringed eyes watched the dog hawkishly until it had left the tent, and she popped her head back out for a moment to make sure it went back to the flock.

When she looked back into the tent, it was with a bright, ear-to-ear smile. "Hey! You're alive!" she declared, as though it was news, and good news!, to all of them. "I wasn't sure about it for awhile! You nearly died out there!"

Lion

"Yeah, I'm alive.  And my skin hurts!" Quinlan gripped, resorting to lying back down on the bed of rugs and pillows.  Quinlan closed his eyes tightly and huffed a little.  Of course far be it from him to be grateful to anyone that went out of their way to save his life.  He frowned deeply and opened his eyes to stare up at the ceiling of the tent.

"Where am I?" he asked.  "Are you sure I'm not really dead?  Because if there's an afterlife, I have to go back and tell someone.  They begged me to find out....  Though that may have been just because they wanted me dead."

He shook his head and winced.  "My skin is dreadfully painful.  Please, oh please, tell me I'm dead, little person thing."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

"Must be sunstroke, listen to how delirious he is" Kaya said thoughtfully, presumably to herself. In fact, she was so used to being surrounded by animals, that she frequently spoke out loud as though she were talking to one of them, even though none were here in the tent now. Well, in truth, Kaya just talked a lot. Whether there was someone listening or not.

She crept the rest of the way into the tent, the flap closing behind her, but still perched by the opening. As though Quinlan were some dangerous thing she didn't really want to get too close to, but was very curious about.

"You're in pain because you're burned from the sun," she told him, speaking louder and a bit too slow, perhaps trying to reach him through his delirium (as she imagined it). "I don't have anything with me for it," because she was smart enough to dress appropriately for the desert! "but I can make a salve out of goats' milk that might help you heal a bit faster."

She leaned a little closer, looking at him with a wide-eyed curiosity. What had he been thinking! He must be so white, to have burned so red! Northerners were always so dumb when it came to the desert. But what had he been doing way out here?

"You're definitely not dead, though!" she reassured him, her tone brightening again. "What's your name?"

Lion

[Quinlan's not like pasty-white. XD  He has some tan from travelling and all that.  But he's not vampire pale]

Well, it was a sunburn. That certainly explained it. He hadn't had one of those in a long time and certainly never this bad before.  Maybe he was just lucky enough to have been found.  Either she or wild dogs would've gotten to him.  He would find a way to thank this woman-thing later.

Quinlan grumbled something to himself about just his luck getting sidetracked, but it was inaudible.  "Wel, ugh, thank you. Just how bad am I burnt? Wait, don't answer that. I can already feel it places that should never be burned...  Godballs.  I'm parched."

He coughed and carefully ran his fingertips along the cloth of that weird dress she put on him. He eyed her from the side of his vision.  "Quinlan," he said .  "What is this I'm wearing anyway?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

[[Sure, but what does Kaya know? She just sees a very red northerner. And all northerners are pale vampires! :D ]]

Kaya blinked at the grumbling, red-skinned man. He wasn't very pleasant, was he? Kaya decided to give him the benefit of the doubt; she wouldn't be very happy if she'd been burned half to death in the desert sun, either. Of course, she wouldn't have been foolish enough to venture out into the desert so unprepared to end up like this guy had.

"Well... uh... I don't know what you normally look like!" she concluded, unsure how to politely say 'you are very burnt.' "So I can't say exactly. But you're pretty red. It might take some time to, uh, recover. But, um, you can stay here. For a little bit. While you recover..." Kaya hadn't really thought about that before now! If this man was sleeping in her tent... where would she sleep? She couldn't sleep here! Oh, she was going to be in Big Trouble if her mother found out about this! 'But I couldn't let him die' was not an argument her mother would accept about some soft foreigner.

Kaya realized she was just staring at him as she went through those thoughts, and suddenly snapped back to the the present. "Oh! Parched! Of course!" She clambered over to the front of the tent where she'd left a small jug of goats' milk. Then she cautiously crouched near Quinlan again - but not too near - and held the jug out to him. "There. That'll be better for you than water."

Once she set the jug down, she moved away a little bit again before sitting back down. Pushing her black curls out of her face, she stared at the tunic-like dress she'd had to dress Quinlan in. Some men, she knew, were quite sensitive about their masculinity and would not like to hear they'd been put in a dress. "It's a traditional Awali tunic," she lied quickly, then smiled once she gained some confidence in the lie. "For men. You're lucky I had one with me - my cousin had this tent last or I wouldn't - otherwise I would have had to put you in women's clothing or something! How embarrassing!" Har har.

Lion

It was safe for Quinlan to conclude from then on that he was indeed still in the desert, and not transported off to some magical hideaway where green was in major abundance.  He wanted to move and hated that he couldn't.  Maybe he was a terrible patient but anyone who was burnt to a crisp probably would be.  And this girl's chipper attitude - admittedly - wasn't helping his spirits.

She was just so odd.

He was quiet for a while when she went to get the milk and he daintily reached out for the jug, gripping it gingerly until it was close enough to him that he could turn over, dip his hands into the milky whiteness and drink.  It wasn't cold, but nothing was out here he assumed, and for the moment relieved him off his thirst.  Water would've been preferred, but he didn't bother questioning his hostess. 

"An Awali tunic?" he asked, looking a bit skeptical, but shrugging nevertheless.  "Well, I suppose it beats being naked.  But considering I feel uncomfortable being in my own skin, maybe naked would be better.  Do you mind if I take this off?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

That wiped the smile off Kaya's face. Her eyes went wide as saucers and her face immediately flushed at Quinlan's question.

"What?" she stammered. "Mind? Yes, of- of course I mind!" she answered hastily. "If you took it off, you- you'd be naked!"

As if Quinlan hadn't realized that himself. Naked!

Lion

"Yes, that is the idea.  But if you mind, don't worry, I'll keep it on.  You look like your eyes are about to pop out of your head," Quinlan quickly added, putting his hands up as if that would wipe away her worries.  He shook his head, even chuckled a bit and let his fingers dance on the fabric again.  "it's okay.  Don't worry."

"So tell me who you are?  You got a name?  And your dog.  He keeps staring at me."  The snout immediately vanished from the tent flap upon being discovered and the sound of paws on sand could be heard scampering away.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya continued to stare wide-eyed at Quinlan, not quite snapped out of her shock that he suggested he get naked. Here! In her tent!

"Me?" she asked, suddenly hearing his question. "Oh, I'm Kaya. You're lucky I'm out here. Otherwise probably no one would have found you... What?"

She snapped her head around to see the dog's snout disappearing from the tent flap. Grumbling, she sprang to her feet and disappeared for a moment outside of the tent. Yelling in some other language could be heard as Kaya told the dog to stay with the goats. That was its job! But if the dog was wary of Quinlan, what would the Sirrush think? She'd hoped to get rid of him before he ever even saw them, but if he really had to stay for a few days... Maybe he wasn't that burned.

Kaya reappeared in the tent a moment later, sitting cross-legged across from Quinlan. "I was saying, you're lucky!" she sounded a little more comfortable now, and her tone was a bit brighter. But she still sounded a little wary, as though Quinlan might disrobe at any moment. "What are you doing way out here, anyway? Especially an abjad like you," she added, using the pejorative term many in her clan used for foreigners from the north. "Where were you trying to get to?"

Lion

Geeze, if she was so offended by the mere suggestion of nudity, Quinlan wondered why she didn't just leave him in his old clothes.  Speaking of which, where were they?  Eyes scanned the room in search for his things but found them nowhere in immediate sight.  He could ask her later, he figured since it didn't seem he was going anywhere for a while.  And those mythical creatures could lavish another day being undiscovered.

He watched her return and gave a quirked brow.  "Abjad?" he mimicked.  He snickered a little at the odd word and leaned his head back.  He hated feeling useless like this, but there wasn't much else to do other than wait for some of that salve this 'Kaya' promised.  If that was her real name.  And Quinlan knew she gave him no other reason to believe otherwise.  Maybe he was just being paranoid.

"This abjad thanks you," he said with a nod and touched a hand to his forehead and then to his heart, like his dad used to do when he didn't want to say the words.  Quinlan eyed her speculatively.  "I was looking for a city, a grand city and really the only one I know of out here.  All er...abjad know of it.  Essyrn, if I remember correctly.  Heatstroke."

He examined his burnt pasty skin.  And then to her clearly unburned dry skin.  "Your nose.  No, maybe your eyes.  I think I met them before."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"You were trying to go to Essryn?" Kaya asked in disbelief, looking at him anew. And her look was clear: that was not the answer she was expecting! "Boy, were you off track! How did you even end up out here? Did you have... er... a map?"

Man, what an abjad! Kaya always thought the other Alawi were exaggerating when they talked about how stupid northerners were! But this guy made her wonder. She, of course, didn't have a map. Like any good nomad, the map was in her head; Kaya always knew where she was. And, usually, how to get where she was going. Wow, Essryn!

When he said that he recognized something about her, though, she stopped staring at him like he was an idiot and perked up. "Oh yeah? Maybe you've met my aunt Kheema! She's a famous Kaadir and Sirrush breeder! And I'm just like her! Everyone says so!" Kaya boasted proudly. It was possible. Kheema even traveled up to Adela to trade Kaadir and Sirrush sometimes! Maybe he met her there! "She's the best there is! At least, for now," she concluded with a big, confident grin. Kaya was going to be even better!

So excited was she to talk about her 'famous' aunt and how great she - and by extension, Kaya - was made her completely forget about making any salve or whatever for the poor abjad's burns.

Lion

Quinlan rolled his eyes, making a face as if she would really believe that he would wander all the way out here without a proper way to navigate.  Sure he'd never been in the desert before and all of it more or less started to look the same to him, and maybe he was half content with getting lost in search for mythical scaled horse animals.

"I had a guide," he quickly added.  "We got attacked by bandits.  I escaped.  I don't think he made it."  Quinlan sighed and flicked his eyes back to her, giving her a half-glare.  She was irritatingly perky, like no day could be a bad day.  Except for the whole threatening to be naked thing that seemed to stun her greatly.

His lips flicked a grin.  "Your aunt?  Hm, I don't think so.  Other than the bandits, you're the only other person I've seen here in this expanse.  No, I...I think I remember someone that looked like you from more up North."  He sniffed in thought and felt like having a cigarette then.

What she said caught his ear and he furrowed his brow, glancing back at her.  He'd heard of kaadir.  Even seen them out by where he met his guide and he wondered why they didn't take some of those to travel across this dusty wasteland.  "A sirrush?  What is that?" he asked, gesturing his head to her. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Kaya wasn't put off so easily. She loved that her aunt was so famous! Especially since she was determined to be better than Kheema was! She already could speak more easily with the Sirrush than Kheema, and she was onlly sixteen! So ignoring his question about 'what a Sirrush was' - and all that unpleasantness he mentioned about bandits - Kaya launched straight into asking, "Are you sure? Because my aunt, she travels in the north sometimes! She even sold a Sirrush to a wealthy merchant in Serendipity!" Her emphasis no the word belied the fact that she could hardly imagine somewhere so far away. "And she travels regularly to Adela!" Well, semi-regularly. She'd been a few times. "Maybe you met her there! Have you ever been to Adela?" 

Kaya was leaning forward towards Quinlan a bit now, eager to hear that yes, she reminded him of his aunt. Because, surely, that was a sign that she was going to be just as successful - more successful! - as Kheema was.

Lion

Quinlan blinked at her abrupt rapid fire questioning.  For one who'd been so wary before, she was now interested in this stranger that reminded him of her.  Quinlan pushed himself up into a sitting position and he held his arms out in an awkward angle out to the side.  "I have been to Adela, in fact, I came from there into the desert," he replied.

"But no, I've never met your aunt.  At least don't think she's your aunt.  I met someone else that bore a passing resemblance.  Her name was Zahi.  Look, it just goes to show how small this world is.  I'm sure there's someone else out there that looks like me."

He laughed a little and studied her face a little more.  "You really look up to this Kheema don't you?  She really the best Sirrush breeder in the world?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"Oh." Kaya deflated, looking a little crestfallen. "I don't know any 'Zahi's." She was quietly disappointed for a moment. Rats. She'd wanted him to have met Kheema. She wanted him to think he was just like her! Then, she supposed, she wanted him to be impressed by how she was even better. Well. Oh well.

Collecting herself, she looked back up and shot him a sly grin. "I'm not sure if there's anyone right now who looks just like you. I've never even seen an abjad half so red as you are!"

Speaking of that... Kaya brushed back a few curls, self-consciously again. She was supposed to have made him that salve! "Sandworms! I forgot to make the salve for you!" she exclaimed half a second after she thought it, hitting her forehead with her palm. "Be back in a flash! Don't you move!"

With that, Kaya bounded out of the tent with all the alacrity of a puppy. She had, in fact, already half-prepared the salve. But she'd needed to wait until it was ready to be applied to do the last step. Grabbing the little jar of goat's milk salve, she half-bounded, half-skipped over to where she'd left Myshhussu, standing watch looking over the desert. He could, she knew, imbue the salve with healing properties that would greatly speed up the poor man's recovery. But the magic wouldn't last long, so she had to wait until he was awake and ready to apply it.

Once the Sirrush had done his part, Kaya half-bounded, half-tripped over herself, half-barrelling back into the tent. "Here!" she said breathlessly, thrusting the earthen jar of creamy white salve to Quinlan. "It'll help you heal. And help with the pain. Just... rub it into all the burns."

Lion

Quinlan made a face at the salve.  She expected him to put this on himself?  It smelled like cheese!  And looked like a certain body fluid.  He took th jar in hand, cringing at the movement.  "So I just put this on and I'm supposed to magically make my abjad red skin get better?"

Where else did this happen with another odd woman with curly hair?  Right.  But that was a long time ago and he was more or less still alive after that.  At least she hadn't asked him to put anything else on his body, but then again he didn't ask what else this stuff was made of.  He didn't ask permission to get naked this time, and just took off that mini dress.

Slowly because removing it over burnt red skin was just a tad uncomfortable.  Quinlan laid the clothing out over his lap and began applying the cream to his arms first.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"No, it won't make you magically get better, but it should help a lot!" Kaya told him. She decided she didn't want to disclose the Sirrush's part in making the salve. "A lot of times all a burn really needs is mois-"

Kaya's little medical lecture ended in something between a yelp and a gasp. He was naked! He didn't even warn her!

Before Quinlan would know it, the girl was tripping over herself flying out of her tent. "OKAY WELL LET ME KNOW WHEN  YOU'RE DONE!" she called over her shoulder (without looking back!) as she tumbled out of the tent.

Lion

Well she sure could skedaddle with smoke practically come up from her feet.  Quinlan actually grinned, though he couldn't imagine what all yelling was for.  He could hear her just fine.  And not to mention she never said just how much to put on!

He could figure that out himself, he supposed.  A healthy layer.  Don't cake it on.  Chances are he'd have to apply another layer again in maybe a few hours or...What have you.  He was able to move, thankful for small blessings and rubbed the salve all over the burns on his legs and arms and chest and ....oh he didn't think he'd been burned there.  So might as well get that too.

He didn't put the mini dress thing, but instead wrapped it around his waist and stepped daintily toward the tent flap.  "Kaya!" he hissed, as if he were hiding from anyone else that might be lingering around.  She never did mention if she was alone.  He'd just seen the dog.  And this mention of Sirrush.

"Kaya!  I'm not...completely naked anymore!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn