Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sing A Song to the Skies (m)

Started by Draconian, July 27, 2015, 01:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

( @Lion !)

It was different, being so... Alone.

Callista smiled idly to the person perusing the flowers that were on display, ready to help if need be or requested. It was an odd life she was living now. A little under a year ago she'd been a slave. A slave with no identity, just a shadow on the wall and a bump in the night. The situation was entirely different... And even more scary. Idly her fingers traced the wood of the counter and she smiled politely at the man that brought a set of red roses over.

It was a real tragedy.

The flowershop had been broken into and her husband, Bart, had been an unfortunate victim. Murdered and his body dumped. They still hadn't found it.

At least that was the official story.

And then, the little wife, pregnant, the child adopted out because she couldn't take care of it alone.

Reality was far different and while she tolerated the sympathetic looks from the older patrons, they were also annoying. It was lies. It was all lies and it grated on her nerves. Made her fingers itchy and she found herself missing Carn, though the man he'd become was in the room over having recently come back from a short trip.

It was different.

Being around him felt wrong.

The man left with his red roses and Callista smiled and waved happily.

After the birth of the child and after it had been adopted out, her brother, a man named Reinier came to live with her. The few months between him being a frustrated child and a man were a terror and Callista found herself glad they hadn't lasted long. The few weeks she had to mother a child were a horror on her and she was glad it wasn't an actual child. Carn had kept his word.

Callista gently bit her lip and made sure the shop wasn't occupied before she wandered into the room where Reinier was sitting at a desk and reading. Ever since he'd been... Here, he'd had his nose buried in a book and he looked up at her slowly when she poked her head into the room.

"Carn, Can yo-"

"Reinier." He corrected in the smooth voice the dagger had carried.

"Reinier, Can you come with me? I want to get some things before sundown."

A quiet sigh and he stood up. Together the pair went about closing up the shop and before long, all the doors were closed and Callista had a bag, the proper amount of money and Reinier was looking relatively grumpy behind her. All he really wanted to do was sit and read. Sadly, that didn't look like it was going to happen.

The pair went about shopping. Callista having found she had a talent for cooking after the untimely demise of her 'husband'. The fact Carn Reinier ate enough for two of him when he was in town didn't help. To most people, they simply looked like siblings, the features, the hair. There was a striking resemblance to someone else though and Callista often found herself examining Reinier's features and then staring off and looking sad.

Sadly, she never saw Rembrandt again. It wasn't love that kept her sad. It was guilt. Guilt of how she lied and used him. There had been a spark there. A small piece of her she knew would be able to grow into something more. That little spark of curiosity.

"Callista."

Reinier called to her and she stopped moving to look back at him, blinking. She was wearing simple clothing and her hair was tucked into a loose braid. Pants today. Callista had found she was rather fond of wearing pants.

And so, the pair walked and Callista snuck her hand into Reinier's elbow while they went about and did their shopping. As usual, Callista looked for his face in the passing people and as usual, she was disappointed. Though, Reinier caught eyes with someone off in the distance and he smiled wide. It was a sinister smile and he gently pat Callista's hand.

Lion

Arca would always be a favorite haunt of his, for all of the obvious reasons.  it was such an interesting city.  It was filled with so many nooks and crannies and places to hide, and people to see.  The people were a spirit all their own, one that mesmerized and enchanted him to no end.  He'd taken time off from his Company, and it was nice to have some real free time for once. 

He'd find the right person yet.  For the moment, he was simply himself.

And that's all he would be wandering the market that day, plucking up a piece of fruit and biting into it.  He paid the man more gold than it was worth.  Hm, perhaps a vendor would be interesting skin to walk in.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

While Callista was busy haggling about the price of vegetables, Reinier was keeping an eye out. Not for anything in particular but simply because haggling was boring and while he did want to eat that night, being around for the whole process was boring. Then, there. In the distance.

A grin. A wide toothy grin.

It was with inhuman grace that Reinier walked towards his target.

Target. That was to rude a word. He supposed this man was his - eugh - father. Technicalities. The resemblance was striking, even to him and he pushed a hand through his hair before he meandered his way over. Having been the dagger, having observed, Reinier looked off to the side for a moment and from his sleeve, like a magic trick, he pulled a white rose.

"Sir?"

Reinier spoke, his voice silky smooth, recognizable as the dagger if Rembrandt could remember it.

"You dropped this," He held the white rose out, and for a fleeting moment, he'd made his face the other mans. A single moment. Enough to do a double take but not enough to notice unless you were looking at him to begin with.

"Well, it was either you or that lady over there, she's known around here for her flowers you see," He started as simple conversation, pointing across the way to Callista who was still haggling. Though she was smiling and seemed to be enjoying it. "I wanted to catch you before you swaggered off," Reinier smiled, "Just in case if was yours after all."

Lion

The tone prickled at his ears, sparking curiosity.  Rembrandt recalled hearing such a voice before, one that seemed to otherworldly to be real.  It sent an unpleasant shiver down his spine.  And when he looked down at the hand that held the rose, he paused.

"No, I don't believe I did," he said, meeting the stranger's eyes.  "I didn't have any roses in hand. Thank you anyway."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Ha!

Take that sneaky vegetable guy!

Callista bagged the carrots triumphantly and looked up to see... Not Reinier. A brief glance over her shoulder and she spotted his head of hair, talking to someone else. Odd. Usually he avoided people. Curious.

Before long she was standing beside Reinier and frowning at the rose in his hand. "Why do you have that," she asked, having gone a little pale. Quickly she grabbed it and threw it down, though the rose disintegrated into smoke as soon as it hit the ground at someone else's feet.

"Oh, I'm sorry-" she looked up and her heart stopped dead.

It was her Shadow.

"Carn," she said softly, looking a little betrayed, "what did you do?"

Reinier frowned deeply, looking between the two and shrugged, "Carn didn't do anything." He grinned, "it's been a while, Sir, won't you join us for dinner?"

Lion

Rembrandt's eyes widened at seeing Callista again, another shape that had liquified from his memory.  She was still beautiful, if older looking than she had been.  That was unfortunate.  He looked between them both and his frown only deepened.  So this was who Carn had become.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline.  You hardly know me.  I'm nobody of importance," he answered softly.  "Just a stranger."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"Oh, but you're very important." Reinier said while Callista stood stalk still and silent. Hurt looking. Just a stranger he said. The few fleeting moments they'd shared were a moment of brightness for her and... He was just a stranger. One hand moved to press against her chest, where that hollow feeling had come back and before long she placed her hand on Reinier's arm.

"Don't..." Callista started, "Don't try to force him," She said gently, but, quickly enough her hand was throw from his arm and she winced away. Callista hadn't been freed at all, she was just a different kind of slave now. 

"I insist," Reinier grinned, looking down at the arm in his hand before flashing another grin.

Lion

"You've grown into an interesting young man Carn.  Or whatever you're calling yourself these days," Rembrandt commented quietly.  But the hand on his arm irked him and he carefully pried his fingers off his arm.  "I'll go.  But not by force."  He gestured to Callista.  "Lead the way."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"Reinier, Please," He said with a steely smile, not enjoying the bite from Rembrandt. It was making Callista fantastically uncomfortable so, still, he'd be nice. He let the other man pull his hand off his arm and Callista just stared down at the ground, her bag of groceries in front of her.

"That's it? Nothing else? You know, I am a byproduct of both of you. Thanks for the face, by the way" Reinier smiled, looking Rembrandt in the eye before Callista started to walk back to the flower shop. She didn't want Rembrandt around. It made her want to apologize. It made her want to beg for forgiveness. It made her feel again and all she wanted to do was not feel.

Everything had gone wrong but, she supposed, that was quite normal for her life. Slowly she turned around and tried to smile, "I've found I like to cook," she said simply, giving Rembrandt a hesitant smile before she turned back around to walk quietly. Consequences.

Lion

"You are a creation in and of yourself, Carn," Rembrandt said, tilting his head at how quaint the child had become.  Or young man rather.  He was his own person.  Rembrandt had no attachment to him.  He was simply another entity.

"But your spoiling other people's appetite.  Best not to dawdle like an old woman."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Reinier gave Rembrandt a steely look.

Apparently this man liked to play hard. Luckily, so did Reinier. He stayed silent the rest of the walk back to the flower shop, though he kept his had possessively on Callistas back, gently trailing his fingers up and down her spine.

It made her go faster. She always walked faster when she was uncomfortable.

"Ah, here we are." Reinier commented idly, looking at the closed doors of the flower shop before he opened them with a flick of his wrist, "And, oh, would you look at the time. I've a meeting to go to." A smile towards Rembrandt and Callista and he took a step backwards and simply disappeared. A small display of his power, just for them.

Callista's knuckles were white while she held her bag, staring down at the floor. She looked over her shoulder after a moment, towards the guest Reinier had invited. Swallowing carefully she stared at his mouth, not willing to meet his eyes.

"Do you remember me?"

Lion

Rembrandt frowned as Carn haughtily disappeared.  Of course he would show off, to no practical end.  He gave an inward sigh and was happy he gave no emotional attachment to the stinky fool.

But they were alone now.  He peered down to Callista.  "I do," he murmured, face drawn, solemn.  "Do you remember me?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Part of her relaxed but everything else tensed up. Callista gave Rembrandt a small smile and she stepped aside to let him into the shop all the same.

"Of course I do," she said softly, "you're My Shadow."

He wasn't still, Callista wasn't a shadow anymore. A shadow of the person she could have grown to be, but slowly she was taking steps into the light. It was easier to pretend though, "do you like Sheperd's pie?" Her tone was a little brighter and she looked the littlest bit hopeful. "I do lots of cooking now. It's fun."

She still had to feed her dagger.

Lion

Light twinkled in his eyes for a moment.  He watched her go in, eyes thoughtful and somber.  He stepped into the doorway, but not into the shop.  "I don't believe I've ever had good Shepherd's pie."  And that made him step in, the familiar smell of roses and other flowers wafting in the air.

"I'd be willing to try," he said softly.  "Try the pie I mean."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

The smile Callista gave Rembrandt was radiant.

Just that little step inside the shop and she reached forward to hold out her hand, intending to take his and lead him to the kitchen. "You can help me cut and wash vegetables," She said, "It'll make food happen faster if I don't have to do all the prep myself." 

Lion

"And rob you of the glory of making it yourself?  I think not.  But if you insist on making your guest work for their nourishment, I won't argue with you," he said with great amusement.  Following her into the kitchen, he took his jacket off and hung it on the rack behind the door.

"Where shall I perform this dire execution?" he asked, rolling up his sleeves.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A moment of hesitation and she took her hand back, pressing it against her leg carefully before she went to the kitchen, watching him put his jacket up. Callista found her heart was pounding and she took a careful breath before she removed the vegetables from her bag along with the various other things.

Grabbing a cutting board and a knife she placed them on the counter beside her own tools and put the carrots on it. "I figured it'd be nicer to help than just... Wait," She said quietly, looking at him. "You don't have to help if you don't want to. I can make you coffee and ... You can sit at the table?" Giving him an out while she went about peeling the potatoes with a knife.

Lion

"No take backs," he said.  He laughed again.  "I'm already here.  I'm happy to help."  He went avout cleaning the vegetables in a washbasin and wringing them out.  He went about chopping them up, glancing at her over his shoulder.  "So how did you learn to make good Shepherd's pie?  Do you add anything special to the mix?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Callista cast a glance at Rembrandt and blinked at his question. "I... A neighbour taught me," she smiled and turned back to the potatoes. "I just add some herbs," a small smile though one good swipe of the knife and she frowned down at her hand. "Oh," she held her hand out and stared at the blood that welled up on her finger. Quickly enough she wrapped her finger in a dish cloth and resumed peeling the potatoes.

"How have you been?" She asked softly, "I've thought of you a lot."

Lion

Rembrandt stood behind her a step back when she cut her finger.  His hands interrupted hers and wrapped around her finger to put pressure on it.

"I've been...okay.  Bored mostly," he chuckled.  He held her finger until the bleeding slowed and he smiled once again.

"I wonder if...if leaving you the way I did was a mistake..  But I don't really believe it was.  Why did you listen to the promises of a dagger?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn