Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Dust[open]

Started by Anadwen, January 02, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

One, two, three. And charge. Back. Charge again. Back. And slash.

The long sword in Athran's hands only flashed in the bright, burning sun, as its blade repeatedly hit the leather plates, covering a training dummy. His feet brushed against the dry grass as he turned around it in circles, more dust arising beneath his rugged boots. His black hair was hanging around his face, picked up and blown back by the wind. He wiped the sweat off his face and let his sword down, peering into the distance. There was no one around, and the training field was silent. There was no one but him.

He picked up his weapon and continued training. As he was taught in his youth - you improve all the time. There's no time when you'd be too old to train. And there's never a thing that couldn't be improved, or learned. The thudding of his sword rang through the air as he approached the training dummy with a series of well-aimed, strong slashes and thrusts, until the figure itself fell apart after an exceptionally violent blow. Athran stepped back. There was only one problem with training in ordinary training fields - he destroyed everything. Sooner or later, the equipment would break, fall into shards, shatter and rip. One training dummy could hardly last more than a week, not if he held nothing back. And there was still no fire.

He breathed in and stepped back, staring at the pieces of wood and leather, laying across the ground. After a while, he grabbed the bottle of water, till now placed on his shirt and coat nearby. It was warm and stale, but better than nothing... He put his sword back to its sheath and grabbed a pair of long, slim scimitars. It was time to practice dual wielding.

He unsheathed them and continued training. Soon, the leather plates were covered in cuts and scratches, but he didn't perceive them - his mind was slowly sinking into memories and thoughts.

Lost in the streets of a city. Bleeding on the cold stones where even fire couldn't help him, alone in the dark. The first time when I was alone. The first time when I was by myself, and there was no one. No one! There never was anyone... He shook his head to chase the bleak thoughts away, and kept slashing the wooden figure with his long scimitars.

Training was the only thing he could concentrate on during daytime, when not flying with Maigrod, or fighting. Nothing kept him entertained...

Such is the price to pay. I traded my loneliness for my skills... I knew what I'm going into, I'm the only one to blame. From the start, I knew how it will be. One of the scimitars glinted in the sun, reflected its rays from its ornate surface, and sliced off a piece of the wood. I can't even really regret it... Always torn to two as if I didn't even know what I want! The blades clinked as they clashed together, and the wood thudded as they hit it. What do I even want? I always think I've reached my goals, and then they disappear like morning dew in the summer sun! What do I want off this? He kicked into the figure and kept slashing it. I'm a fool! I don't even know what I want, I'm chasing after the wind like a complete... Idiot!

He leaped into the air, kicked into the figure's head with both of his feet, and fell into the dust below. The stick on which the training dummy was placed broke, and the figure collapsed onto the ground. He kept staring at the sky in complete silence, hearing even his pounding heartbeat.

Really, what am I chasing after?

Tak

Ardeadai was trying some more peaceful tactics, to make his father proud. Well... not exactly peaceful, just not continually hitting things with axes and hammers. He appeared as a normal man of the area, just with red eyes, black skin and noticable black demonic tattoos, with a demonic grin on his face. "You are giving it your all, aren't you?"

Anadwen

"My blood and my soul," Athran whispered a silent answer to the man's question. He was, and he never did different - it took him years to master the arts of war, and even though he was excellent, he never stopped trying to improve.

He stood up, dusting the dirt off his bare chest and back, covered in many long, white scars. Two training dummies in one day... Maybe he should stop training with the heaviest, strongest weaponry he owned. And maybe he should continue until he completely destroys every wooden figure on the training field, until the sun sets in crimson and moon arises in silver.

He turned towards the man. "Do you want to train with a living swordsman? Not just a figurine?" he asked.

Tak

"It would be my pleasure."

A Greatsword seemingly made of red-hot iron with weird demonic inscriptions seemingly came out of no-where into Ardeadai's hands. "You may as well go first."

((I can't do lenghy posts today, soz))

Anadwen

Athran grabbed his own longsword. Its blade, adorned with complicated patterns, glinted in the sun. He took a steady, defensive stance, in which he could land blows just as well as dodge.

"I'll hold back. I don't want to hurt anyone..." he sighed. The sword in his hands turned, and the iron clinked together as it hit the other warrior's weapon. With a series of lightning-fast slashes, he attempted to poke the sword out of his opponent's hands, but he didn't unleash his full might and fury, in fear that he might harm him.

"If I smack you, I'm sorry!" he shouted, and threw himself against the man, pushing him back with his shoulder.

Tak

Ardeadai almost laughed. The sword remained in his hands with no signs of going away. As the push came, Ardeadai didn't move at all. It didn't even effect him. He grew, as armor grew on him, and the sword turned into an axe. He was in his normal form. He then slashed at him with his axe. If he brought the sword to his aid, it would slice through easier then a superlaser in melted butter.With a swagger of his fingers, the lads feet where stuck to the ground, unable to run away, although possible to walk around.

Anadwen

Athran stared at him in surprise. This was no ordinary man...

Screw it. I'm not holding anything back!

He leaped into the air, slashing at his opponent with his sword, and spiraling flew over his head, landing in an elegant roll behind him. He stood up only a moment later, preparing to jump and throw the man on his back. Blood was rushing through his veins, hot like liquid fire. He laughed.

"I like this. Come at me, if you dare..." he growled, smirking.

Tak

"Try. Just try."

Ardeadai didn't move. When he spun over him, he turned around. The mortal couldn't touch him.

((Goodbye! Bedtime!))

Anadwen

Athran's sword begun blazing with white fire.

"If you don't like fire, warn me before. Its thrice as hot as the forges in which steel is melted."

The flames were searing with heat, he felt it on his bare skin, for this time not shielded by many layers of clothing and armour. The air above them was trembling, showing strange, distorted images, but he could still clearly see his opponent.

"Your turn. Attack."

Tak

"You use heat against a Demon? Pathetic."

Ardeadai's hand grabbed the sword as if it wasn't extremely hot. With demonic Strengh, he pulled the sword out of his hand before observing it. Then he handed it back before stepping back and hitting a powerstrike that could shatter diamonds.

"You mortals are so clumsy."

Anadwen

If this earth ever bore a greater fool, my name isn't Athran...

He collapsed onto the ground, still tightly clutching the sword in his hands. A Demon. Well, what else could he be? Unmoved by attacks that have slain beasts four times his size? No way he could be an ordinary human. Athran had three hundred years of experience, the strength and speed of an Elf, and fire that never betrayed him, and yet that man didn't even flinch.

"I'm not a mortal..." he groaned.

Tak

"By definition, you are."

Flame started flying everywhere. Ardeadai put his hand to the Elve's Forehead, to gather a bridge between minds. Everyone near-bye was frozen in ice so they wouldn't intervene.

"By definition, you are a mortal.
By definition, you are weak."

Thoughts, images and sounds of torture, suffering and death flooded Anthran's mind. No remorse.

Anadwen

Athran laughed into the demon's face. There was nothing he hasn't seen in his past.

"You are weak if you think this something new to me. Do you think I'm a stranger to pain and suffering? After three and a half centuries? I'm a fool, but you are, too."

He recalled his own memories of battle and bloodshed to counter Ardeadai, remembered the worst of things he saw.

A lone warrior stands amid a field of burning corpses, dying warriors cry in the flames that devour them, slowly, but their end is near. His armour is stained with blood, but he remains unmoved.

Dark dungeons fill with echoes of screams, ringing through the stone corridors.

Countless images of similar kind appear in his mind. Death, endless death.

"All that was me. Do you think you have power over me when you threaten me with nothing but my own life?" Athran shook his head.

"You are weak, if you think that it will work."

Tak

Ardeadai let out a full sinister laugh. "And you weak if you think I'm done."

The visions stopped, but the Elf's vision became slurred. It seemed to melt. Dissipate. Stretch. Beckon. Invert. All of these things at the same time. If Anthran had any loved ones (alive or dead) they would be shown murdering each other gleefully in slow motion. The vision began to change colours too. He became dizzy. The colours inverted. Everything became intense, and then he went blind for a few seconds. Down became up, right became wrong. Very few had emerged sane.

"How do you feel?"

Anadwen

Athran's fingers clenched around Ardeadai's forearm.

"There's hardly anything you can do to me... I'm alone, and I've always been. There is no one that would matter to me anymore... And you only amuse me... I like seeing that witch dead... And my father? He says I'm a shame for the family... I'm not who you think... You know nothing of me..." he whispered.

He closed his eyes and countered him with his own memories again - of Yhrana, of Eledir, of everything he remembered, and showed him that there's nothing to hold against him.

"You think that you can hurt me with my past. It's called past for a reason, though. And your colorful illusions won't make me any more sick than a barrel of wine."

His head was spinning and he wanted to throw up from the mesh of colors, appearing in front of his eyes, but he showed nothing, hiding behind the emotionless mask that he hid behind so many times before. There was no time to show weakness in battle, and this was a battle, though not with spears and swords.

Tak

Ardeadai turned his back to the elf, hand still on forehead. The colours intensified. They went around faster. You couldn't stand.... and the dizziness was unexplainable. Then the elf began to feel limp. Dreadful physical feelings crept up his muscles. A burning inferno. A Glacial frost. A million pins. A thousand biting ants. Striking Lightning. All of these energies fluctuated around his body in a pattern, but that pattern disorganized into madness. The colours seemed closer.

It was maddening.

Anadwen

Athran gripped both of his hands around Ardeadai's wrist, and with all strength he had, he pulled it away from himself, gasping for breath.

"Leave me. Let... Let go off me... I don't know what you want, but leave me alone!" he screamed. He only concentrated on the fact that none of this is real, that it's all illusions, nothing else. Just a nightmare as many before, and he will wake up soon.

Clinging onto that made it a little more bearable...

Tak

Anthran moved his hand, but he was still in for a surprise. They where in his fathers realm. Death and torture everywhere, but also castles and evil-looking things. It was horrific. "By now you should have figured why I'm doing this- I'm bored."

"You need to plead to me. To beg. You are a mortal and nothing more." said the Demigod demon as he punched the Elf. "Beg."

Anadwen

A twisted, choking sound came from Athran's grinning mouth, and it took a long while to recognize that it was actually laughter, like a crow, scavenging above barren wastelands of a battlefield.

"I wouldn't beg on my damn deathbed..." he whispered.

"Go and find concubines if you're so bored, they'd entertain you better... Better than me. I have nothing to lose... And if you think I'll lose my mind in torture, you're mistaken... Because I already did, a long, long time ago... You will never be the first... And that strips you off the pleasure to feed on my pain, for I feel none."

Tak

Without a word, Ardeadai just wisked away into the wind. The illusions slowly stopped, the feelings did too, and everything returned to normal, as if he was never there in the first place. However, there was a training dummy. An indestructible one that couldn't break.

Because even demons can be nice.