Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Special Delivery [Moonie]

Started by Alegretto, February 14, 2014, 08:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

Viatrus scanned his surroundings, the other man hadn't fire off a shot yet, hopefully he'd lost track of the halfling. He kept his eyes wide, scanning for any movement, and then he saw it. His heart leapt into his throat and a kind of primal fear surged in him. He had spotted the wolf.

The thing was monstrous, and significantly larger than any such creature Viatrus had seen before. The wolf was terrifying, and he had no doubt that it could devour the halfling in one bite. And yet, despite all that, he didn't feel as if the creature presented any danger to him. The wolf filled him with fear and awe, but he didn't feel threatened.

However Viatrus didn't have time to explore the curious feeling. The crossbowman had broken cover and even as the halfling's own weapon came up to aim he heard his opponent's bolt fly under the branch he was sitting on. The man had misjudged the height and arc of his shot. The shadowy figure made a leap for cover and Viatrus sent a bolt thudding into he ground, right where he'd been. The courier cursed again. He'd have to go back to the ground. His position was blown, and more importantly, with that thing around, and so close as well, Tobias was in terrible danger. The halfling began scrambling down the tree trunk, his new companion in his thoughts. At least he hadn't heard any screaming yet, that was a good sign.

Zero

The wrong one didn't know it yet, but that flash of movement and that failed shot were the signal of their doom. The wolf didn't slink through the darkness any longer, no, now he sprinted through moonlight and shade without a care. The crossbow was hastily reloaded and brought up, the wolf didn't recognize the object as dangerous, but Tobias did, and his jaws splintered the weapon as easily as twig, with a quick shake of his head the crossbow as shattered and dropped without further interest.

Screams of terror pierced the night as he circled his now disarmed prey, golden eyes burning intensely as he watched them, judging, then struck like a viper, teeth shredding flesh and armor with equal ease, like ripping through paper. The screams turned into something beyond terror or pain as the wolf eviscerated his prey, spilling their guts onto the forest floor before his teeth snapped shut around their throat, beheading them in a swift motion.

The blood gurgled and bubbly hotly, and the wolf licked the sweet liquid from his lips, relishing the taste of death. He wanted to feed, to rip flesh from bone, then crack bone to suck out the marrow, and the wolf thought nothing of such a thing. Tobias was horrified by his own thoughts and struggled to pull the wolf away from the body sprawled beneath his massive form. Only reluctantly did the wolf abandon his prize, and only after ripping the body open to devour the heart - as promised.

Dragging himself away, the wolf reluctantly trotted back in the direction of his clothing, and Tobias could only hope that Viatrus was still alright. Well, after this perhaps the halfling would finally understand why he called himself a monster.

Alegretto

Viatris tracked his path back to where he had left Tobias. Mid-way there he heard the most blood-curdling scream he could ever conceive coming from the direction the enemy shooter had been in. The wolf had found prey.

The halfling thanked all the gods he could think of that the creature had gone after the other man. Hopefully it would now leave Viatrus and Tobias alone. He reached the tree where he'd left the other man, but all he found were his clothes. That was curious, to say the least. The clothing was torn and damaged, but there was no blood or sign of significant struggle.

Viatrus was still puzzling over the conundrum when he thought he heard movement in the underbrush behind him. The halfling was two meters up the nearest tree in three seconds flat.

Zero

Now that his goals had been met, Tobias was able to focus on the problems he'd just created, well, that the wolf had created. For what seemed the thousandth time he cursed himself for not being able to shut out that primal side of him. Still, the beast was locked safely away and only the wolf had emerged. That was at least something to be thankful for.

It was far too much to hope that he could get back to his clothes and coax the wolf back into a man before Viatrus realized he was gone. As he approached the place they had stopped that feeble hope was confirmed to be dashed. His ears swiveled as he listened to the sound of the little halfling climbing up a three so fast you'd think the hounds of hell were after him...oh wait...

Tobias huffed softly peeking his head through the bushes and looking up the three at Viatrus with a bit of bemusement. Two meters was nothing, he could have put his paws on the tree and reached the halfling if he wanted to, but he wouldn't. No, but he did need to shift back into a human and dress, and the idea of Viatrus watching this process was more than a little unsettling.

Hopefully his little, er, friend? Yes, friend, he guessed, would not shoot him as he stepped out of the brush and circled the base of the tree, sniffing curiously. The halfling didn't seem hurt, that was good at least. Looking up his gold eyes glinted in the moonlight before he huffed again and walked over to his discarded clothing. They didn't seem to be completely ruined, but they were in rough shape. Tobias really needed to get on the ball with the getting out of clothes before the transformation began.

Being careful and quick, he picked his trousers and shirt from the ground, leaving the rest, and quickly hurried off. The thought occurred to him that he should have warned Viatrus exactly what he was dealing with - and what to expect - before this mess had happened.

Alegretto

Viatrus was at an impasse. He had climbed as high as he could anchoring his hands and feet into a crack in the tree's trunk, but there were no branches for another solid meter up the tree. He was stuck. He couldn't go up and there was no way he was going back down there with the wolf. He couldn't even unshoulder his crossbow. He could only watch as the massive beast came flowing out of the underbrush, like an inky shadow of grace and power. Now that he had a clearer look at its size, the halfling realized that he wasn't high enough. The wolf could easily pull him down.

He squeezed his eyes shut waiting for the blow that would dislodge him, but instead only heard a rustling going on below him by the tree. He opened his eyes and looked down in time to see the wolf making off with Tobias' torn clothes.

Viatrus couldn't really think for a moment, the scene was so strange. Then, half-conscious observations and little bits and facts started to pile up in the courier's mind, forming into a solid idea. The halfling jumped down from the tree, now mostly convinced that he wasn't in any danger. He picked up the remainder of Tobias' equipment as well as his own and then followed the wolf into the forest. He had to confirm his suspicions.

Zero

Tobias could hear the halfling following after him, but he was much faster. The wolf outpaced his pursuer with ease, and once he thought he was far enough ahead he ducked behind a tree into some bushes, collapsing and panting heavily as he felt his body beginning to tremble and contort painfully. The transformation was always horrible, but he tried to rush it because he didn't want Viatrus to find him mid-shift. It was embarrassing and disgusting, not to mention he would be naked.

Transitioning from wolf to man seemed harder for some reason, because his dulling senses left an empty and hollow feeling behind. It was almost like dying, but being denied the peace and rest of death. He felt the shape of his body twisting, sickening, wet sounds coming as his muscles rearranged themselves and returned to the proper shape for a human. It always hurt, but rushing it sent shocks of pure agony through his limbs.

By the time he was finished he could only lay on the ground and shiver for a few moments. It was so, so cold. Through the fog of his mind he remembered that he had clothes, and that he was being followed. Sitting up with a groan and with shaking hands he pulled on his pants, then reached for his shirt. It was caking with his dried blood from earlier and he used it to wipe the blood from the man he'd just killed from his face, chest, and arms. The stupid thing needed cleaned anyway, though he really wanted a nice hot bath.

Alegretto

Viatrus came upon Toby as he was putting on his shirt ((OOC: Hope you don't mind the assumption)). There were new bloodstains on the garment, and lighter marks around Tobias' mouth and hands.

A large part of him was horrified, terrified by the man who stood before him. However a bigger, more important part of the halfling felt differently, Viatrus hadn't made a friend in a long, long time. Really not since his parents had died. Acquaintances and business associates, sure, but no friends. He would be blasted if he let this one go.

He stared at the man for a moment, considering what to do. There were so many questions to ask, so many things to say, but quite uncharacteristically, he decided that silence was the best option. If the man wanted to talk, he could do it on his own time. That choice made, Viatrus set down his and Tobias' stuff and then sat down next to the larger man. He didn't open his mouth, and waited for the other man to either speak, or do whatever else it was that he planned on doing.

Zero

It was as Tobias pulled his shirt over his head that he heard the small footsteps of his companion. He only paused for a moment, not looking at Viatrus, before pulling his shirt into place. The silence was deafening, and he could only speculate on what might be going through the other man's mind in that moment. The halfling sat down beside him, and he remained silent and motionless - save his uncontrollable shivering - for a long time. As the minutes stretched he felt his stomach twisting in knots, waiting for the other to speak first.

His mind was still reliving those minutes as a wolf, most importantly the moments in which he had spent tearing apart a human being like a rag doll. The worst part, what truly ate away at him, was that he had enjoyed it. The taste of blood was still sweet upon his tongue, and he knew that the wolf would have eaten the person if he had let it. Gods, he had eaten that poor bastard's heart.

How could anyone ever claim he wasn't a monster when he could still hear the screams of terror and pain echoing through his mind? Shuddering, he reached into his trouser pocket and pulled out that coin that Viatrus had given him. His golden eyes burned softly as he stared at it, tears welling up as he tried to remember what he had promised to do, and to remember everything Mable had ever taught him.

When finally he couldn't take the silence any longer he squeezed the coin in his fist, closing his eyes as they slowly began to become more brown than gold again. His voice was raw and strained as he finally spoke. "So...now you know."

Alegretto

Viatrus watched the drama unfold in controlled silence. It was taking all of his self-control to stay quiet, but he had to let the other man take the initiative or he'd never open up. In the halfling's short experience, he had found that you got further with Toby if you pulled instead of pushing. Remaining silent when the larger man pulled out the coin and began staring at it was even harder. Viatrus could almost see the small silver circle reflected in his friend's golden canine eyes. Eyes just like those of a wolf. He wanted to recoil, move, do something and it took every shred of his self-control to moderate his expression and his reactions. He couldn't lose Toby now, he just couldn't.

When the other man spoke, Viatrus could barely hear him because his voice was so raw. Tears welled up in the halflings eyes. "Yes, now I know." he replied. In a sudden burst of energy he jumped up and hugged the other man. Tobias smelled of blood and fur but at the moment Viatrus was too happy to care. His tears began falling freely as he squeezed Toby as hard as he could. The man had kept his vow, he had listened to Viatrus. "I know that you're a man who keeps his promises; I know that you're a man who saved my life again; and even though I only met you a few hours ago, I know that you are my dearest friend."

Zero

Tobias had really imagined things going so differently. When Viatrus found out about what he really was the werewolf had expected his friend to perhaps run screaming from him. Being told someone was a monster and then actually seeing it were two very different things. The halfling had heard the screams of a dying man. A man that Tobias had ripped apart. Why was he so calm? If their roles were reversed he'd have been scared out of his wits.

Even if Viatrus didn't run screaming, having himself suddenly squeezed in a tight hug was pretty far down on the list of things he did expect. At first Tobias could only sit there stunned, still shivering with cold, but after a few moments he finally put his arms around the halfling and gently patted the crying man's back.

Shouldn't he be the one crying? After all, he was the monster that had to live with what he was and the things he had done through the years since his curse began. "Hey now, don't cry! Why are you crying? I told you I was a monster, and know you know why I would say such a thing. But you have to stop crying, alright? Because you're gonna make me cry, and there's little more pathetic than a big man like me reduced to bawling." He tried to make light of it, but he felt kind of...drained. Physically and emotionally he was exhausted, and he was kind of touched by the declaration that he was anyone's "dear friend".

Alegretto

Viarus tried to stop crying. He didn't know what it was about the big man that made him so liable to bawl. He hadn't shed tears this many times in one day since his parents died. It was just that he felt so safe expressing himself around Tobias.

He laughed at the other man's comment about big men crying. "Lucky for me I'm not a big man. Not a lot of shame in crying when you're three-foot two and still mostly a kid." He wiped his eyes on his sleeve. "I'm just so happy you listened to what I said about the coin. I don't talk to people all that much anymore, ever since my parents died, and I don't really have all that many friends. It's really nice that someone heard what I had to say." He disentangled himself from Tobias and, with a massive effort, finally managed to stop himself from crying.

The halfling looked around at the two men's surroundings. "We should probably get going. It's still dark out here and we should get to town. I didn't bring any camping equipment and I don't fancy roughin' it when there are people after us."

Zero

Brown-gold eyes blinked slightly, all trace of tears having disappeared from them. Tobias couldn't spare the time to wallow in self-pity right now, he had someone to be looking after and Viatrus needed him to pull himself together. They couldn't both be a blubbering mess. Though he wasn't sure he understood what he meant about listening. "Of course I listened, that's what friends do, right? They listen, and I could tell the coin was important to you, so I used it."

Staring at the coin oddly had helped some. He could feel the cold metal biting into his palm from how hard he was squeezing it. Loosening his grip he shoved the coin back in his pocket as the halfling released him from the hug. "Yeah, we should get going. I just hope that town will be safe. I could really use some sleep, and waking up with a knife in your back isn't much fun."

Standing up he walked over and shoved his feet into his boots, thankful that Viatrus had brought his things to him. Working quickly now he pulled his leather jerkin on over his shirt, still not bothering to tuck his shirt in or to fasten his vest in place, he slipped on his leather bracers and tightened them securely. The last thing was his belt and slinging his bow and quiver across his back.

Looking worn and disheveled, Tobias flashed the halfling a bit of a grin. "I'm thinking we find someplace nice in this town, sit down and enjoy a big bowl of steaming stew, maybe a nice mug of ale, and then pass out for a day or two." He'd had that heart, but he was still starving, and bone-weary. It had been a very, very long day.

Alegretto

((OOC: Edited some previous posts to make Viatrus a more believable character with clearer motivations.))

Viatrus almost cried again at the word. Friends. "So is that what friends do?" he mumbled to himself.

He smiled up at Tobias and replied to his statement about reaching their destination. "Now that sounds like a good idea. The town should be pretty close, unless I'm a whole heck of a lot more lost than I think I am." The halfling hefted his small bag. "What'ya say we get going."

So saying, the courier began leading the way back to the path they were on before. It wasn't long before he had reoriented himself, and not long after that before he was chatting Toby's ear off again. "So how far do you think that guy was shooting his crossbow? Mine's small and only goes a hundred yards or so. See I can't use a full-sized crossbow on accounts of me being so tiny. Did I ever tell you the story of my crossbow? So this one time I was runnin'..."

Viatrus must have talked about almost every topic under the sun, but he never once asked Tobias anything about himself. He talked the pair straight to the small town and right up to the village's inn.

Zero

A really emotional one, wasn't he? Well it took all sorts, and Tobias really couldn't judge anyone for being a bit on the weepy side. Hadn't he just been about to cry himself?

His long legs fell into stride, following behind Viatrus tiredly. The mood, at least for the werewolf, was subdued. Only half listening, he spent most of the trip musing over his own thoughts. It had been a really bad way for someone he considered a friend to find out about his cursed existence. At least Viatrus didn't seem too upset with him - now. Before he had smelled the fear. The idea that anyone would be afraid of him made him sad. Tobias had never in his life ever wanted to hurt anyone. Now he just couldn't seem to stop himself from hurting people.

At least the conversation stayed away from anything about wolves! What had happened in these woods tonight and the things that they had both seen and heard, were the very last thing in the world he wanted to think about - let alone talk about. He'd have to make a note to talk with Viatrus about it, though. Maybe in the morning, after they had a rested and eaten. Things were always better by the light of day with a full belly.

He wasn't sure how long they were walking before they reached the village, and in turn, the inn. Tobias couldn't remember the feel of a real bed beneath him, it had been weeks since he stayed in a town. "Do you think it'll be safe? I'm sure they wouldn't try with so many people..." He gave a few tentative sniffs to the air. "...I don't smell any danger right now..."

The door swung open to greet them with a rather merry sight of warmly glowing lamps, a roaring fireplace, tables and chairs scattered across the common room, and a soft din of noise from people eating and drinking peacefully. "Oh Kia be praised..." He murmured softly, brown-gold eyes shining with an almost childish delight.

Alegretto

Viatrus smiled at the sights and smells in the small inn. He'd been here before so he knew the innkeeper, and more importantly his wife, who did the cooking. She made the best pot pies. He asked Toby to grab them a table, and then walked over to speak to the owner about getting a room and a hot meal for him and his friend.

When the fellow asked Viatrus what he and Toby were having to drink, the halfling had to consider. He didn't know what Tobias would want. He turned over his shoulder and yelled at his companion, "Hey Toby, what'll you have to drink?"

Zero

Sweeping into the inn, Tobias quickly planted himself at an empty table near the fireplace, where it was warm and cozy. He stretched his long legs out under the table and leaned back in his chair, shoulders slumping slightly as he relaxed and breathed in the tantalizing scents coming from the kitchen. There was the acrid smell of smoke as well, some of the others had pipes and cigars lit, and his sensitive nose crinkled up a little for a moment.

He heard Viatrus call to him over the sounds of the rest of the patrons, smiling slightly. The halfling didn't have to shout, he could hear him just fine, just like he could hear every conversation going on in the room, he could even catch ghosting whispers from the rooms upstairs, those were faint and not really decipherable, though. "A good strong ale, please!"

It wasn't his companion his attention was really on at that moment. There was a pretty serving woman running about the common room, and his eyes were fixated on her. Although as soon as she glanced in his direction he looked sheepishly down at the table, but not before catching her giving him a little smile. Great, he looked a right mess, well, all wasn't lost, eh?

Alegretto

Viatrus related Tobias' order to the innkeeper and asked for a small glass of milk for himself. The halfling couldn't hold any kind of alcohol, the slightest knocked him out faster than a mallet to the head. The order placed, Viatrus maneuvered his way through the crowded common room back to Toby, sitting down across from the man.

Toby's attention seemed occupied, and Viatrus followed his gaze to the pretty serving woman. The halfling smiled. "Got your eye on Sorela, huh?" He addressed the other man. "Nice girl, been working here as long as I've been coming. She's pretty outgoing, I think you two will really hit it off. You should try to talk to her a bit when she brings the food and the drinks."

Zero

When his companion sat at the table across from him, Tobias couldn't help but glance over at Viatrus, then fold his arms on the table and drop his head with a groan. Of course the halfling had caught him leering at the pretty young woman, and of course he knew her on top of that. He found himself lightly banging his head on the table. "You really shouldn't encourage me..."

Viatrus seemed to think this girl was nice, why on earth would he suggest that Tobias talk to her? The halfling knew what he was! No girl should really get anywhere near him. It was too dangerous, and yet...he sighed wearily. "What on earth would I even say to her? Hey cutie, I'm a real animal in bed, wanna take me home with you?"

The sad thing was it wouldn't be the first time he had used a similar line, and it had worked for him in the past. Tobias had never been one of the guys that girls just swooned for, but he wasn't bad looking, and ever since he'd been turned...Mable had tried to explain it to him once. Something about primal desires and baser instincts - and that was for the women, not him! The wolf really only had three primary needs - eating, sleeping, and mating.

He decided to keep his head down to hide the fact that he was beyond embarrassed right now.

Alegretto

Viatrus laughed uproariously at Tobias' pick-up-line. In part because it was funny but also because he was pretty sure that it was a good sign that the other man could make light of his... condition.

Viatrus reached over the table (it was a heroic stretch for the halfling) and patted the other man's head, as if comforting him. Then he smiled mischievously. "You know," he said, "I heard she goes in for that sort of thing. You should give it a shot. In fact, I dare you to go over there and tell her that." How long had it been since Viatrus had last dared someone I do something. "And hey, I'll introduce you if you want." And now long since he'd introduced someone to a woman (the answer to that one was never).

"Oh wait look, no need to go over there. She's bringing the food and drinks." The serving girl walked over carrying a tray laden with a pair of steaming pot-pies, a mug of ale, and Viatrus' glass of milk. The halfling smiled radiantly at the girl as she set down her load. "Sorela, this is my friend Tobias. Tobias, Sorela. Now Sorela, Toby here has somethin' to tell ya." Viatrus looked expectantly at the bigger man.

Zero

Oh sure, laugh at his pain, go figure. Couldn't his friend tell that he was rather embarrassed? Besides, picking up women right in front of his friend...that was more than a little awkward, wasn't it? Tobias sure would have felt weird if Viatrus had begun flirting with a girl while he was sitting right there. There was also still the issue that he was a werewolf. That was not something this poor girl needed. Too complicated and as much as he knew he needed to sate his primal urges to keep the wolf in check, he still felt awful every time he slipped away quietly from a beautiful woman that had given herself to him.

The pat on his head earned Viatrus a soft, rumbling growl, though his head jerked up from the table to gape at the halfling when the small man dared him to actually say that to the woman. He found himself sputtering. "Are you crazy? Why on earth would you try to subject a poor girl to someone...someone like me. You realize that -" His teeth clicked shut when he realized the woman was coming over.

Oh gods. Kia help him. Tobias gulped slightly, brown-gold eyes practically mesmerized by the way the girl moved. Those feral eyes cut to Viatrus with a glare when the halfling introduced him and so helpfully informed Sorela that he had something to tell her. "I-I-I..." His face turned red, and grabbing his ale, Tobias turned away, eyes closing and expression turning into a bit of a scowl as he busied himself with taking a large drink of the burning liquid.