Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Our fading memories

Started by Anadwen, May 09, 2014, 02:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

Soft breeze picked up a few wisps of Seiki's long black hair and toyed with them like a little child with a new game, dropping one and picking up another right after. His hakama and haori were billowing in the wind as he made his way up the hill, leaving the sakura gardens surrounding the residence behind, and step by step ascending to the top of a hill, infamous by its eerie calm. The Hill of Silence... Or, as it was known better among his highly practical relatives, who didn't dwell on the past and sentiment in more than some of their customs and celebrations, the burial site of the Adachi house. On terraces, hidden beneath the rose-colored blossoms, lay grave upon grave, one stone plate on another. They were evenly spaced and very orderly, portraying the same kind of strict law as almost all about the whole residence, and yet carried an air of sad elegance, a forgotten grace.

With long steps, he passed through the graves, and walked further towards the top of the hill. That was where the immediate family of the head of the house was always buried... His wife, children, brothers and sisters... He himself knew that one day, his own body will be laid down into a deeply-dug pit, and let to crumble till his bones become naught but ash. And he didn't worry about it, as he know he'd eagerly lay his life for a good cause any day, but never without a fight.

There it was. A smaller stone plate, at the end of one row. The path led on, but this grave was the last, right next to the graves of Daiki and Ichyio. He kept his head high as he slowed down and turned towards it, and his face remained stone-cold and hard like always, but his inside was being torn asunder. He slowly dropped to his knees, careful not to touch the grave, or smear mud over his clothes. His hands arose to his chest and his fingertips connected. The deep blue of his eyes disappeared behind his eyelids and long eyelashes as he narrowed them, bowing his head to the grave.

Kanami's grave.

Sister. I come again in the hope that one day I will be able to forgive myself, and in the plea for your forgiveness. In a hope that beyond the borders of this world, you are content. Kanami, forgive me that I wasn't strong enough to protect you... I promise you that the next time I draw my blade, I will give all there is inside me to protect those that need it. I feel unworthy of my title and of my blade that I was not capable of it back then. The punishment I receive for it is nothing short of fair, but I should have never allowed you to be punished for my mistakes, Kanami. Forgive me...

He bowed his head down. A solitary tear formed in his nearly closed eyes, and rolled down his lashes, dropping onto the stone where it shattered like a shard of broken glass.

Normally, Seiki wouldn't let something so weak as tears get over him. Even now, he felt anger growing within his chest like fire at allowing himself to cry, though it was no more but one tear. It was weak to succumb to emotions... And the stone-cold mask reappeared, concealing all that he let slide through its cracks before, whole again. Before an important hunt on a strong spirit, he couldn't afford getting overwhelmed by his emotions.

Wicked Basket

Sozen strode through the gardens on his way to the Hill of Silence. He was a frequenter to that mound of graves and soil because of the silence. The petals that fell from the trees swirled around him in the breeze as if each was trying to avoid contact with him for fear of being sucked into the void. So long ago it has been since he lost his family and earned those permanent symbols of shame upon his flesh. If only he had been stronger.

As Soken approached the hill he spotted someone. For someone who had been wanting some alone time, the idea of his fortress of solitude being already occupied left him mildly vexed, but his stoic expression did not falter. It didn't take long for Sozen to identify the intruder as Seiki. Being well aware of what had happened not too long ago, Sozen knew who Seiki was here to see.

Sozen approached Seiki in deathly silence and stood a short distance behind him. Sozen knew what it was like to fail in your duty to protect, perhaps even a little more than Seiki considering that Seiki had lost only his sister.

"Kanami," Sozen stated flatly.

Anadwen

He didn't flinch, he didn't move a brow at the sound of his cousin's voice. Sozen was, much like him, one to visit this graveyard often. Maybe because they both shared a similar burden, the same kind of reminder about what it means to fail, carved into them once and forever. Their duty was to protect, and each of them failed in it, maybe in a different manner, but the burden of the mind was the same none the less.

He twisted his head to the side a little, just enough to see Sozen in the corner of his eye. A few petals of the sakura trees landed on his silky hair, just to be blown off a few moments later. His gaze was almost cynical as it connected with his cousin's.

"I see, I am no longer alone." he spoke in his usually icy manner. There was nothing more in that sentence than it appeared - it was but a simple exclamation, without any hidden meanings that he would conceal between the metaphorical lines. Nothing except his head moved, and his entire self was like a statue, frozen and stuck in its pose of an eternal guardian, carved from marble.

Wicked Basket

"It's good to know that your eyes are still functional," Sozen replied.

Like Seiki, he too stood completely still as the wind flowed over his hair and clothing. Sozen was unsure why Seiki would point out something so obvious as the termination of his solitude, but Sozen made sure to reply with his own incredibly obvious observation. The whole reason for Sozen's coming to the Silent Hill was for a bit of meditation time alone, but Seiki obviously had no intention of moving anywhere. In fact, the only thing moving at that moment was the wind and the tree petals that it carried with it, all of which continued to avoid Sozen.

Anadwen

Seiki slowly stood up. In his full height, he was quite intimidating, though no less elegant as when kneeling... He turned towards Sozen with his serene expression unchanged, and that was all. The wind kept moving, it picked up his haori and blew the white fabric over his black shihakusho, while the wisps of his hair sharply contrasted with his pale skin in their raven-black color. His eyes mirrored the entire sight, sharp, but distant like usually.

Indeed, nothing has moved. It was a very quiet encounter.

Wicked Basket

It was quite unnerving how the two could have an entire conversation in absolute silence. Between the two of them there was almost an unspoken agreement that nothing there was nothing they could say to bring their loved ones back. Thus, they remained silent.

Seiki was quite intimidating at his full height, but not so much to Sozen because he was around the same height that Seiki was. This whole impromptu meeting had turned into some sort of staring contest. Seiki's striking blue eyes against Sozen's unusual amber yellow eyes. One warrior in black, the other in white. Two opposites, and yet so similar. The hunt would begin soon however, so their "conversation" wouldn't be able to last much longer.

Anadwen

One of Seiki's hands, the back of which was hidden in a white glove, arose to catch a petal, whirling before his face, and his fingers caught it with deadly accuracy and finesse, not even pressing it too hard. It flew right out unscathed, and continued its journey through the air.

He turned his glance away from the tall figure of his cousin, so similar, yet very different from his own self, like a reversed picture. "I suppose I should leave. There is a spirit I have been assigned to hunt down." he mused, showing very little interest. Like if it didn't bother him at all - very little bothered him enough to show the slightest sign of emotion. The eye contact was broken, and he watched the rising and sinking current of blossoms instead. A few landed on his wide shoulders.

Wicked Basket

Seiki's mention of hunting a spirit gave him pause. Sozen had also received such an assignment. Spirit hunts weren't that common, so it was highly unlikely that they were both being sent on different hunts at the same time. It was more likely that they were assigned to the same hunt, but were not informed of the other's participation.

"I too have been issued such an assignment," Sozen informed him.

Anadwen

Seiki responded with a slight raise of his brow. They were most likely given the same duty - and if that was the cause, it must be an exceptionally powerful spirit, to require two highly skilled spirit hunters to defeat it. What kind of a monster could that be?

"I suppose it is the same spirit, since I have only heard the news of one that would require our level of skill to defeat." he replied calmly. With a hardly noticeable move, some blossoms sled off his clothes.

Wicked Basket

Sozen gave a faint nod in reply. It seemed that Seiki also came to the conclusion that they were to hunt the same spirit.

"If that is the case then we should get going before that spirit gets its hands on the innocent."

Anadwen

"I do agree." Seiki's voice resonated cold and calm among the graves. He flicked a few wisps of his hair out of his face, and moved down the road, passing through the tombstones with the unearthly grace that made his very steps seem flowing, closer to swimming, rather than actual walking. The wind picked up his haori and carried it high behind him, just like it blew into his sleeves and revealed his pale skin.

He didn't object to working with Sozen. The man was much like he himself... They felt no need to speak unless necessary.

Wicked Basket

Sozen followed behind Seiki in a similar ghostly fashion. The two of them working together had never been done before. The two similar opposites would be fighting side by side for the first time. Seiki in black and Sozen in white. Seiki's long katana and Sozen's short, thicker one. Powerful alone, but unstoppable when put together. Whatever this spirit was, it would be no joke for it to require both of them to take it down.

Anadwen

For someone as swift as himself, the long way down the Hill of Silence and through the wonderful sakura gardens of the Adachi property was actually quite short. He didn't look back once, completely aware of Sozen's presence behind himself. The spiritual presence he radiated informed him not only that a family member was following, but also that it is that man in particular. He was sure that his cousin could discern his own spiritual energy in the same way. That way, he never lost track of who passed by.

He made his way back up to his room by the narrow staircase, leading up the rock, towering above the rest of the gardens. The stairs were narrow and carved sharply, but that was no issue for him. His hands gripped around the door, leading into his room atop the huge boulder, and he stepped in. There was a few things that he still needed to take with himself.

The room itself reflected its owner perfectly. It was simple, with a cold air about itself. Plain walls, lined by the doors of wardrobes on two opposite walls. Amid the entire room was something that distantly resembled a bed - a long mat on the floor, set before the stand for his sword. Everything was somehow empty, there was nothing except for that stand that would signify the identity of its owner.

He walked over to one of the wardrobes. The door sled under his hands, and revealed a several neatly folded things. He picked up a crimson scarf that lay atop the column of other items, and put it around his neck and shoulders.

Soon after, he was waiting for Sozen in the entrance hall, standing with his face to the door. The red of the scarf was like blood, spilled across the white haori. He didn't move once - if someone would walk in straight now, they could consider him a piece of the furniture.

Wicked Basket

Sozen didn't need anything from his room, but he went there anyway. His room was also quite simple, consisting of a mat a stand for his swords. The main difference was that his sword stand could accommodate both his katana and wakizashi.

After standing in his room for about 30 seconds in dead silence, he made his way to meet back up with Seiki, who was now wearing a crimson scarf. The scarf sharply contrasted the rest of his attire, but that was probably the intent. Sozen simply approached Seiki and then stopped.  Announcing his arrival would be unnecessary. Seiki would have known he was there before he even stopped walking, so he just stood in silence and waited. Seiki, being Takuya's son, had more authority than Sozen, which meant that he would be in charge, so Sozen would wait for his commands.

Anadwen

With a sole glance, Seiki gave Sozen a nod, and made his way towards the door. "All is ready. The spirit is heading north. Its spiritual presence can still be felt, but it's drawing further." he explained, opening the door with a single move of his arm, and stepped out among the columns that held the extended roof up. He was immediately embraced by more sakura petals, and they seemed to whirl around him fiercer than they would without his presence, though it was just an illusion.

He needed no orders to inform Sozen about his intentions. They were leaving.

Wicked Basket

Sozen returned the nod and followed behind Seiki. Secretly, he was hoping that this spirit was the same spirit that had killed his family. Seeing as how this spirit was strong enough to warrant both of them to hunt it down, it was possible that this was the same spirit. If it was the same spirit, he would kill it and get his vengeance. Then, he could name his sword, for he had vowed that he shall not name his blade until he had exacted revenge for his fallen family. Hopefully, this was his chance.

Anadwen

The way through the gardens was peaceful. Intruders rarely broke the peace of the Adachi residence, and therefore, it appeared serene as always, without anything but the wind and the birds' songs to break the silence. Seiki didn't doubt that this task would be a success, though he was concerned. Usually, someone like Shinobu was enough to dispatch a spirit. If they were both required, the situation must have been serious.

He could feel the spirit's presence growing stronger as they quickly passed through the gardens. It was going north, towards the river... Those were dangerous parts of the forest - not only was the terrain rough and rocky, but the deeply-dug valley of the river created sharp cliffs above the wild stream that ran fast in the deeps. One foul step among those rocks in the dark shadows of the ageless trees could mean a painful death.

Wicked Basket

Sozen could also feel the spirit's presence growing stronger. In fact, it felt stronger than any spirit he had encountered thus far, except maybe THE spirit. They were definitely entering the more dangerous part of Draconi Forest where a single misstep would be your untimely demise. However, they had a job to do and they would do it right or die trying.

Anadwen

The sakura trees started to make way to the normal, green trees of the forest. Seiki and Sozen moved like shadows, quickly passing with lightning-fast steps. Not a sound broke the silence.

All of a sudden, he stopped, raising one hand to signify to his cousin to stop just as well. A deep gash was opened in the earth, and from the depths, the sound of churning water could be heard. He took a step back, and with a sole lightning-fast leap got over.

"We are outside the gardens." he commented, still not turning back.

Wicked Basket

Sozen stopped when Seiki's signal came and nodded in response to his statement that they had left the garden. Sozen leapt after Seiki and landed silently behind him. The spirit's presence had grown even stronger. Hopefully they would find it soon.