Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Beast's Hold

Started by detectiveryan, March 11, 2017, 02:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detectiveryan

The forest was dark, but the tunnel seemed darker-- maybe it was the light rain falling that cast a mist over everything and made it feel like demons were going to rip through space and time to attack, or maybe it was just because Addie's only experience with real caves before this was the time she climbed down the village well to rescue a toy and ended up in a little tunnel beneath the forest floor, and ended up returning to her home late at night, caked in mud and shivering, to extremely worried parents and her sister that scolded her for longer than her mother did. But that cave had not had a monster in it, or in fact much of anything other than mud.

"Somewhere down in there is a mining outpost, and that's supposedly where we'll find the grandfather's belongings," she said to her companion as she looked at the scribbly map she'd been given. "Though I've heard whispers of tunnels leading to caches left by pirates or raiders, and there's definitely something big down there. You can see why I put in a request for backup."

Gawfy

People are easy, they can be bought or deceived. What you really gotta worry about is any manner of beast. Gawfy said as he held a torch to light up the cave they where in. We could deal with spiders,goblins or maybe even a few trolls He said with his now Damp cloak sticking to his armor. You think you could deal with a few beast creatures?

detectiveryan

"I've bested a few goblins in my day," Addie said, sticking out her chest. But just in case, the warhammer on her back was ready. She lit a little glass lantern with a match from her bag and led the way forward, checking her surroundings with her map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawfy

Yes but would you know where to stab or smash a troll or other large beast should the need arise? he asked bluntly. He needed to know if he was to be a Ally or a chaperone. If not ill take on the bigger beasts should there be any here

detectiveryan

"Eyes would hurt," Addie reasons. "Anyway. There's an elevator around here somewhere..."

Cave bugs skittered along the walls. The mining shaft was all stone held up by wooden beams, lined with torches long extinguished. Darknees loomed three steps ahead. Addie stopped before what looked at first like a sudden drop-off into nothingness, but the pulleys and ropes indicated it was an elevator once used to lower workers into the tunnels.

Addie hopped the foot down onto the platform, which creaked in protest but held her weight. "Here we are," she said. "Now how to work it..."

Gawfy

Well i would guess you would undo the pulley knot and let yourself down. Gawfy said as he looked down. Though the way it is Squealing with you on it i doubt it would support me. He said as he motioned to his heavy armor.  Gawfy leaned over and found the Knot that was tied undid it and held it in his hands. Guess you really did need two people, Say the word and ill start lowering you down

detectiveryan

"I think if you just hit that lever it'll release on its own," Addie guessed. She tried it but it was rusted still, and further kicking snapped it off. So much for that. Holding one of the ropes on the platform, Addie surveyed below, hanging her lantern over the darkness. She tossed a rock down and two second passed before it hit the bottom.

"Will you be able to lower yourself once it's back up?" she asked.

Gawfy

Maybe. Gawfy said as he looked at the boards on the platform. I do not know if it will hold my weight. Then he had an idea. Nevermid, just thought of a sure fire way to get myself down there  You ready to go down? he asked as he bobbed the woman slightly up and down with the rope

detectiveryan

Addie gripped the rope. "Ready as I'll ever be," she said. "If this thing gets to the bottom and it's a nest of goblins, I'll let you know."

Gawfy

yeah im sure you will. He said as the Pulley squealed as he lowered the woman  into the depths of blackness. what do you see? Gawfy said as he could feel the platform hit the bottom with a loud THUD

detectiveryan

Addie crouched to the wooden boards, her lantern flickering in the darkness. She could barely see two feet in front of her. Dust rose in massive clouds when the lift's base hit the ground.

Luckily there were no goblins. Addie lifted her lantern and squinted into the inky darkness. According to her map, this was the underground hub of operations-- except here was a massive clearing with geometric carvings in the floor, all leading to a pair of heavy doors on one end.

"Whoa," she breathed.

Gawfy

Gawfy bopped his head over to the hole and spoke. Is that a Good whoa or should i jump? He asked holding the rope Id hate it if somthing got you down there, what do you see?

detectiveryan

"No, no, definitely come down here," she called. "No monsters that I can see, but there are these huge doors-- I can't place what they are." Dwarven, possibly.

Gawfy

Gotcha Gawfy said as he took his sword from his back and layed it on the planks as they squealed. He then lowered it down before shouting, Im gonna need you to get that off of the Planks before i can go down.

detectiveryan

"Yeah," Addie breathed. "I mean-- yeah, I'll take the sword." She could hear it creaking under the blade's weight. What were they going to do if the lift broke? Addie was a good climber, but she wasn't so sure how well Gawfey would manage with all that bulky plate.

Gawfy

Gawfy then took some rope he had in his rucksack and tied it to the metal pulley lever base and started to make his way down. As he made his way down he picked up his sword and witnessed the doors. Whoa indeed. He would mutter before putting his hands on the door and begin pushing

detectiveryan

The doors did not budge. They had no handles and no indication of ever being opened. The frame seemed to be decorated with gears in spots-- unless it wasn't decoration.

Addie, carrying Gawfey's sword on her shoulder like it's nothing, pushed at the unmoving doors. "Maybe it needs a password," she suggested. "Um-- open sesame?"

Predictably, the doors did not respond.

Gawfy

Im gonna need that back. Gawfy said as he stopped pushing the door before holding his hand out for his sword. well what ever it is we cant seem to push it open. any ideas on how to do so?
Gawfy thought maybe with enough explosives they could blow it  open, but seeing as how the doors are bronze he quickly shook his head dismissing the idea

detectiveryan

Addie gave the sword back. She frowned, thinking hard-- she never was great with riddles. "Maybe we should go to the other end of the room," she suggested. "Then you pick me up and throw me as hard as you can into the doors." Which was probably not the smartest idea but Addie was not the smartest person, so.

Gawfy

i dont think that would be wise. Gawfy said as he looked up and down the door. there has got to be a way to get them open. and if everything else failed they could always end up digging under the door. Sure rock was hard but this girl didnt seem like the type to give up.