Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Funny Thing About Books (DragonSong)

Started by Elrond, August 02, 2017, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elrond

"Grandpa!" Rory feigned offense. "Well I suppose there was that one time when I was 15..." He coughed to clear his throat before returning his attention to the more pressing matter of the apathetic fugitive.

"Come on Kyoko, I know you have the thrill of discovery in you. Why don't you join us. We can reward you handsomely, and perhaps even get rid of this whole 'wanted by a country that loves war and kill shit' business." Rory ran his hand through his jet black, nearly purple, hair and scratched the back of his neck, letting out a soft chuckle.

DragonSong

Se'zeh craned her head back slightly and girl and dragon exchanged a look.

"I'm listening," Kyoko said warily. The dragon huffed, shifting uncomfortably, and she patted her neck soothingly. "What makes you think you have the kind of authority to call off Adelan slavehunters?"

Elrond

"The promise of money and secrets can sway even nations." It was a bold claim that he possessed either, but it was not necessarily inaccurate. Of course, the Wardens could not risk a diplomatic affair and threaten the temporary peace between Adela and Serendipity, but Rory was a headstrong and determined person and wouldn't let Kyoko and dragon get away easily.

"I'm sure whatever we may find would be of great interest to a people who prides in their dragonriders. Interesting enough to even use as a bargaining chip perhaps." He said this candidly, as he believed knowledge was meant to be shared anyway and would not mind revealing whatever he potentially finds to the world. 

DragonSong

Kyoko withdrew slightly. "And what exactly do you want from us? What do you expect me to do?"

Elrond

Rory frowned. "Unfortunately that requires you accompanying me to Ketra to see a colleague of mine. I can create a disguise using a spell and cloak your dragon with the invisibility magic I used earlier. However, those adept at magic will be able to detect your disguise and remove it and an invisible dragon is, well, still a dragon."

DragonSong

Another look exchanged between dragon and rider. "I'm not going back there," Kyoko growled when she flickered hr eyes back to him. "Are you crazy?"

Elrond

Rory tilted his head and looked her in the eyes. "Kyoko, do you really think I'd go through all this trouble to put you in real danger? Wouldn't quite be the smartest move a Vice-President made."

DragonSong

"And I'm just supposed to believe you on...what? Faith?" Kyoko bared her teeth in an expression that made her look oddly reminiscent of the creature she rode for a moment. "Give me proof you speak the truth or get the fuck out of our way."

Elrond

Rory took out several notes and letters that were in his breast pocket--including the family tree he had scoured over the Serha Plains for. He sorted them out neatly and tore off some fabric, creating a knot and adding a pebble as a weight. He tossed the bundle of parchments as far as he could in front of him before hitting either dragon or girl.

"Here is my proof."

DragonSong

Well.

This was awkward.

Kyoko cleared her throat a bit and turned her head, cheeks flushed. "I...can't read," she mumbled.

Elrond

Rory's brow twitched as he clenched the bridge of his nose with his index finger and thumb. "You... asked...for proof. What did you expect?" Rory let out a deep sigh before chuckling. "Unfortunately literacy spells are beyond my scope. Mostly because they don't exist."

He boldly stepped forward, planning to get closer inch by inch. "But anyway, those are all the related documents I have pertaining to this mission. Letters from my colleagues, research notes, and even a family tree of all your ancestors. If you'd like me to read them to you, or better yet show you how, I can certainly do that."

DragonSong

There was a long moment of silence.

Then another.

And another.

"Show me." Kyoko sung down from Se'zeh's back and the young dragoness squawked in protest, darting her neck forward to wrap protectively in front of her rider.

"Shh, girl," Kyoko murmured, petting her about. More quietly, she murmured, "We can take him, if it comes to that."

Elrond

Rory grinned innocently. He pulled out a pen and a roll of paper from his backside pouch. Luckily, the ink had not dried from the pen. "Here, I'll start with explaining the family tree." He began to write the Common tongue alphabet on the roll of paper, explaining the different sounds and types of letters. He went through a full and thorough explanation of the syntax and phoneticism of the letters, periodically asking questions cheekily, before explaining what was written on the family tree.

Then he began a long winded explanation of the history that was in that family tree, perhaps with a lot more details than necessary. Rory connected the alphabet to what was written on the parchment, trying his best to tie in his lesson on it. He capped off his spontaneous teaching session with a demonstration on how to write the girls name.

"And that's how you write Kyoko the Dragonrider." He smiled as he looked at the dragon.

DragonSong

She thought she understood about half of what he was saying.

Se'zeh settled herself behind her rider, curved into a prectectice semicircle, but Kyoko just sat and listened.

"Y'know, I didn't mean for you to teach me right now," she pointed out when there was a break in his speech. "It takes years to learn this stuff, doesn't it?" She gestured vaguely at the papers.

Elrond

Rory chuckled softly. "Of course, no offense but I'm used to teaching well--er... people of different backgrounds." He had seemingly reached quite a lot of progress in his efforts to gain the girl's trust, however he was careful to not say anything pompous as he does on occasion.

"But nonetheless, your lineage is impressive." If true that is. There was still the matter of verifying if she was the same Kyoko as the one written in the document, as well as the issue of confirming the validity of the family tree. "It makes sense that you have such a great relationship with, uh," Rory said as he briefly paused, "Mind my manners, I never got the name of your dragon." Indeed, the 'wanted' advertisement did not contain any reference to the dragon.

DragonSong

Kyoko snorted, giving a rather clear impression of her thoughtsbin their merits of a person's "lineage". She eyed Rory sidelong for several long moments.

"Se'zeh," she said eventually. "Her name is Se'zeh." At the sound of her name, the dragon lifted her head and nuzzled Kyoko's shoulder.

Elrond

"Ah I see," Rory bowed before the dragon, "A pleasure to meet you my scaley friend."

DragonSong

Se'zeh arched her neck and hissed. I am no friend of yours, human.

Kyoko suppressed a snort and opted not to translate that.

Elrond

"So much for hospitality." Rory chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck. He sensed the hostility had not ceased much, but he was maintaining his optimism in being able to break through.

"So, what now?"

DragonSong

"I believe you're the one with the plan, Master Scholar," Kyoko muttered in a tone that practically dropped derision.

Tags: