Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You, Me, Us {Solo}

Started by Celegwen, March 03, 2018, 10:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

Alderon sat atop the chestnut stallion, as he trotted smoothly along the path. It had been nearly six months since he last made the journey from Zantaric to the Draconi Forest, but it was one that he wished he could make every single day.

His heart was pounding in his chest. It always happened because of nerves. The doctor was used to having nerves of steal, but this always got under his skin. It was understandable, especially since this was one of two times per year that he actually got to see his family.

Slowing the horse, Alderon drew closer to the place where he was to meet them. He dismounted, tying the horse's reins in a quick release knot around a low branch. Though normally he dresses to the nines when going out in public, he was much more casual. Just a typical shirt with pants, boots, and a warm cloak to protect against the chilly weather.

Leaning against the tree his horse was tied to, he waited anxiously and heard the rumbling of carriage wheels approaching.

Celegwen

"Are you going to behave?" Neria asked, pulling Tiya's shawl on over the girl's dress.

The girl fastened the button on her shawl and eagerly looked out the carriage window at the passing trees, not answering the woman. "Momma, are we almost there?" Tiya asked, sitting back down and squirming impatiently.

Neria smirked, wrapping her green cloak around her violet dress. "If we weren't almost there, would I be putting on our warm clothes?"

The carriage pulled to a stop, and the driver slid open the window to speak to his passengers. "Miss Neria, we're here. There's a man standing next to a horse by the crooked maple."

"Thank you, Ben," she said, handing him a few gold coins, while Tiya jumped out of the carriage.

Celegwen

Mud splashed slightly, splattering the girl's boots and the bottom of her dress. She looked forward and a large smile grew on her face. "Daddy!"

Alderon smiled, kneeling with his knees on the muddy road, as Tiya raced over. She jumped into his arms, and the man held her to his body. "Hi, baby," he said softly, moving back from her. He simply looked at the girl, taking in every detail about her. "You've grown so much."

He had a bitter-sweet tone to his voice. Hearing the carriage door close, Alderon looked up, his smile fading to a sentimental gaze.

"Neria," he whispered, taking his daughter's hand. Alderon walked with Tiya towards the elven woman. She met him halfway with a wide smile, standing on her toes and wrapping her arms around his neck. Alderon held her against him with his right arm, not letting go of Tiya's hand. He kissed her cheek, then touched his forehead to hers, just looking into her eyes.

"I've missed you, melamin," she said softly.

Celegwen

Taking hold of the bags they had brought, Alderon walked with them over to the horse he had ridden. Tiya's eyes lit up at the mountain of an animal. "Daddy, what's his name?" She asked.

"Chester," he said. "Or something like that."

The girl nodded confidently. "Chester fits him."

Neria smirked. "You don't know him. How do you know if it fits him?"

"'Cause I do, Momma!" Tiya said quickly. "I'm right!"

Alderon pursed his lips in a grin that he didn't try to hide. Neria glared at him. "Not a word," she spat. "I know what you're saying, and you shouldn't even think it."

Celegwen

"I didn't say anything," Alderon said with a hint of triumph beneath his tone. He put the bags on the horse, patting the horse's neck. "Come on, Tiya." He knelt on the ground again, holding the girl's waist. She climbed onto his knee, putting both hands on the saddle. "Jump!"

He helped to brace her jump, swinging her into the horse's saddle and taking hold of the reins.

Neria hooked arms with him, as they walked. Tiya held onto the front of the saddle, while her father led the animal. "So, tell me," he started, "how's everything been?"

"Well, our daughter hasn't really been getting along with the other kids at school," she said.

Alderon's brows furrowed with his frown. "You told me that you were teaching her at home," he said. "I told you, I don't like the thought of her going to school in La'marri."

"Like Zantaric is so much better?"

Celegwen

"Of course not," he said, giving a tired grin. "I would teach her. There are people she could be friends with. She could have more of a life there, than she does in La'marri."

Tiya sighed, leaning forward. "I wanna live with Daddy, Momma," she said. "Why can't we just do that?"

Neria frowned. "We've talked about this, Tiya. Daddy's job is dangerous, so we're staying where it's safe. Now, quiet down. We'll have dinner when we get to the inn, okay?"

The girl fell quiet, releasing a huff before doing so. Alderon looked questioningly at his wife, deciding not to voice his concerns with Tiya around.

Celegwen

Willow's Inn was about an hour's walk from there, but it was off the trail, so they never actually met there. Putting the horse in the stable, the three of them walked inside, getting a room for the night. Alderon ordered dinner to be brought to their room, then followed Neria and Tiya up the stairs.

"Tiya, Momma says you aren't getting along with the other children?" Alderon said, sitting on the bed.

The girl frowned, shooting her mother a glare. "They don't know stuff," she said. "When I know things and I say the right things, they get mad at me. Then, the teacher gets mad at me for telling them they're stupid."

Alderon covered his smirk by rubbing his chin. Neria narrowed her eyes at the man, silently telling him to stay in line. "Well," he started, not completely sure of what to say. He was proud of the girl, so it was difficult to tell her what she did was wrong. "I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Maybe, next time, tell them they're stupid after school ends."

"Alderon!" Neria hissed.

Celegwen

"What?" Alderon asked defensively. "If she's right, why tell her to stop?"

Neria rolled her eyes, gripping the roots of her hair and standing. Tiya was already like Alderon without even really knowing him. How would she act if they were actually living together? The woman shuddered at the thought.

There was a knock at the door, so Neria answered. The man from downstairs had brought up venison and potatoes on three plates.

The woman handed Tiya a plate, then set the other two on a desk. "Tiya, Daddy and I are going downstairs for a few minutes, okay? Eat your dinner, then you have your books with you. We'll be back shortly."

Alderon winked to his daughter, then followed Neria out of the room.

Celegwen

They sat together in a corner booth, and Neria ordered two chamomile teas. "What is it?" Alderon asked.

"You're a brilliant man, Alderon, but sometimes you can just be so clueless." She took a sip of the tea, pursing her lips. "You're successful and intelligent and established as a professional, but Tiya isn't. You have the freedom to behave as you want; she doesn't. She's still figuring out who she is, and she can't have you telling her to be rude to other people."

He furrowed his brows, listening to her speak. She had a point, but she didn't realize that genius sometimes reflected through rudeness. As long as the job was performed well, why did it matter if you were nice about it?

"You haven't told her yet," he said, changing the subject suddenly.

"What?"

Alderon leaned forward, moving his tea aside. "Why haven't you told her yet?"

Celegwen

Neria clenched and unclenched her jaw. "She doesn't need to know." Her voice was hushed to match his. "She's eleven years old, for Kia's sake."

Alderon stared through her. "Neria, I am her father," he said. "She's a clever girl, cleverer than you are, so how do you answer her questions? And don't try to lie because I know she asks why we live apart or why we have to hide when visiting."

"Look, of course she has questions, but she's still innocent. Why would I corrupt her view of her father? Why would I expose her to what you did?"

"I transcended all existing medical science," he said. "I'm not ashamed of what I did."

Neria squeezed her eyes shut. "That's why I won't tell her. Her mind is still developing. I love you, but what you did was horrific and dehumanizing to every person involved. I will absolutely not allow her to believe that it was acceptable on any level. And if you so much as mention it to her without both of us approving, I promise you will never see her again. Am I clear?"

Celegwen

He wasn't okay with what Neria had said, but in the end, she was right. Tiya was still young enough that knowing could permanently alter the way she looked at people, and as much as Alderon loved that she took after him, he couldn't do that.

When he had escaped and found out he had a daughter, even he was disgusted by some of the things he had done. That being said, he wouldn't change what happened.

Alderon sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "I want to see you more," he said. "We've spoken about it before, but you've yet to give me a definitive answer. Tiya wants it, and what you said about me having a dangerous job is a load of horseshit."

"We would love to see you more," Neria said, "but not in Zantaric. It's too dangerous."

Celegwen

"It isn't," he said. "If you came with me, you would see. I'm part of a wonderful group of Friends, and..."

"I know," she sighed. "Hildegarde and the others. But that doesn't change what I said. Just because there are some safe people doesn't mean the place is safe."

Alderon smirked. "Neria, you both won't be safer anywhere else. I'm there to make sure you're okay; no one will challenge the Friends because it would be suicide to do so; there's a boy her age who loves making new friends." He took a sip of the tea, frowning slightly. Taza's chamomile was much better. "Plus, Sel is there. You know how much my sister loves you."

Neria nodded with a half shrug. "What kind of life would she be offered, though?" She asked. "Living in Zantaric basically sets one path in life, and I want more for her."

Celegwen

Alderon smiled, shaking his head slightly. "Neria, she's not bound to Zantaric. Being raised there is one thing, but living there for the rest of your life is another. I fit in there. If we're being realistic, Tiya will fit in there. You can as well, if you give it a chance."

Neria sighed, pursing her lips. "I can't just uproot our lives to go flitting off to Zantaric. Besides, wouldn't you want to give your friends a notice that your family's coming home with you?"

His arrogant smirk suddenly appeared. "You just called it home."

"What? No! Alderon...!"

"Your words."

Celegwen

Releasing the slightest chuckle, Neria just gave up. She learned a long time ago that arguing with him was pointless. "I meant that it was your home," she said.

"No matter," Alderon said. "I wouldn't give any notice because they aren't aware of your existence."

He took a sip of tea, grimacing again in confusion as to why he would keep drinking the swill. Neria's brows furrowed. "Wait, what do you mean? They don't know you're married with a child?"

"Most of them don't even know I've been in prison. Hildegarde is the only one who knows about my incarceration, but even she doesn't know about you and Tiya."

"She doesn't question where you go?"

Alderon shrugged. "She has before, but I believe she's given up on asking."

Celegwen

"I must say that you have an interesting relationship with these people," Neria said, shaking her head.

Alderon smirked, pressing fingertips together in front of his lips. "So, does this mean you're coming with me?"

The woman narrowed her eyes. "I never said that."

"You never said you weren't."

"Stop with your word games. I know you too well for them to work on me."

He raised his right brow, his eyes never leaving hers. "That's still not an answer, Neria."

Celegwen

She smirked, looking away from her husband. "I have to talk to Tiya," she said. "We have a life in La'marri, as much as you seem to love to belittle the importance of that. Leaving that behind isn't as easy as simply walking out."

Furrowing his brows, Alderon scoffed and sat back. "Of course it is. Your things go in bags, you wave goodbye to the neighbors, and you're off to your next destination. What's so difficult about that?"

"It's like being married to a child!"

"You knew when you married me, so don't start complaining now. I won't accept it, and you'll only make yourself miserable."

Neria laughed, sitting back like he did. "Enough! Kia, if you want us to go, send me a sign. Just make him stop talking!"

Celegwen

Almost on cue, the door to the inn opened and two men walked in. They were dressed in leather and carried way too many weapons for normal people.

Alderon's face fell briefly, swallowing as his voice lowered. "Bounty hunters," he said quietly.

Neria turned to the door, eyes slightly widened. "What? How? No one knew we were meeting you."

"Neria, get Tiya and go outside," Alderon said. "I'll leave through the back door. I'll have two horses."

"You only have one."

Alderon shot her a sharp glare. "Now."

Celegwen

Once the two men sat at the bar counter, Alderon and Neria stood and went their separate ways. It wasn't likely that the bounty hunters were after Alderon, but they would've probably known his face - or his markings.

With his hood pulled up, he snuck out the back. Taking his horse out of the stable, he stole what was probably one of the bounty hunters' horses. He hurried them out of view, waiting for Tiya and Neria.

Tiya put her book into her bag and took her mother's hand. "Momma, why do we have to leave?"

"One of Daddy's old friends is here, and they had a fight last time they saw each other," Neria lied. "They don't want to see each other, so we have to go somewhere else."

"I get that," Tiya said nonchalantly. "I don't want to see my friends either."

Celegwen

Neria carried their bags and made sure Tiya was following. They walked downstairs, and she saw that Alderon had gotten out. Without attracting unwanted attention, they walked outside and hurried around back.

The man secured their bags on his horse, then helped Neria onto the other horse and Tiya onto his. He swung up behind the girl, urging his horse into a steady canter.

"Daddy, what did you and your friend fight about?" Tiya asked, once they had slowed to a walk.

Alderon looked at Neria briefly, then chuckled. "Well, I beat him at a card game, and he wants to play again to beat me. I told him I wouldn't play again, so he doesn't like me."

Tiya scrunched her nose. "That's a dumb reason to not like someone."

"Well, most people in the world are dumb."

Celegwen

"Where are we going?" Neria asked finally. "We always stay in Willow's Inn. Do you know of another place nearby?"

Alderon gave her a slight smirk, staying completely silent. She understood what he was saying, and shook her head. He raised his brow, and Neria rolled her eyes.

"Um, Tiya, I wanted to talk to you about something," she said.

"Yeah?" The girl asked, looking at Neria with curiosity.

The woman shot Alderon another look before she continued. "I know you aren't getting along with your friends at school, so would you like to make new friends?"

"How?"

Tags: