Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hi ^_^

Started by Anonymous, May 07, 2006, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hello. I'm Maria, the ever-present fangirl. I'm a decent writer, according to other people. I like rping, obviously enough. Er.I'm not too good at this whole introduction thing. I love Discworld (read 11/30 so far. Death is my favorite character, Vimes is a close second.), Nirvana (the band not the buddhist concept), and Radiohead (...I can't think of anything, except Scott Tenorman quotes). There's a few other things, but those are my main three. I wouldn't be surprised if I subconsciously rip off..er..am inspired by a discworld concept or three. That, and a radiohead song.

Anonymous

Hey! That's cool. Well... Welcome to SotE ^_^

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hello! Octarine Spark, I love Cecelia. She's so...single-minded.

Rhindeer

*sings* What do you do with a problem like Ma-ri-aaaaa!!!

*coughs*

Um, ignore me. XD There are like a million Maria songs. I love torturing Marias with them. Well...my Maria, at least, which is my friend. Heh.

Discworld! I've never read that. but I've heard a lot about it! Yet I haven't checked it out yet. I think I should, because a lot of people say it's good and yet I don't even know what it's about. Blasphemy, I know. *hangs head*

So, yes! Welcome!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Thanks^_^

Trust me, I've heard all the maria songs. Ever. Plus a few that don't exist yet.

As for the whole Discworld thing...it's not really about anything, just a bunch of fantasy cliches thrown together. And some Philosophy. Oh, and hilarity. If I *had* to suggest one to start with, not being asked and all, I'd pick Guards! Guards! (every book soon involves the people introduced in here, plus its hilarious, of course) Um, just my opinion and all.

er, that was the fangirl moment for today. Er, I mean for this hour. Anyway, it's no big deal if you don't read them. Not blasphemy, at any rate. Really, it's more of a me-being-fangirly over them than anything. Hell, my username is a referance. So, no biggie if you haven't read them.

Anonymous

Never... heard of them.

I still don't understand what they even are XD

Anonymous

Hya welcome.

Read what?

Anonymous

*Stands on Soapbox* Right then. Well, Discworld is essentially 30 or so novels, all about 350 pages. They all take place on...well, Discworld. Quite a few are loosely connected to each other, but that doesn't mean you can't just pick up one at random. It's quite a bit like Hitchhiker's Guide, except it's fantasy novel cliches in substitution of scifi. There's a bit of philosophy in them, especailly regarding tmy favorite character, Death. There are four, maybe five, subseries in the discworld. That means, essentially, that those books are related to each other, but not necessarily to the others. Vimes books, which involve the city watch, are the most common, and also the most interconnected to the other series, so it's best to either start with them or start them as soon as the word Watch appears in the text, capitals as shown. The books are frequently hilarious, very fast paced, and easy to just pick up and get sucked into. The characters are very believable and funny, but more importantly,  they are distinctly different from each other.

Now then, there are q few books of the series that are very good ones to start with, as they don't depend on other books as much and if they are, the previous book's events are summed up. These books follow, with the main character and other nifty stuff in paranthesis.

Guards! Guards! (this book introduces Vimes, and is essentially a lot of action movies (they parody Dirty Harry at one point). Vimes is one of the more pivotal and human characters in all the books, so it's very easy to read the ones with him in it. He's one of the more dynamic characters, and also one of the very best. Very amusing, Start of all plots involving the Watch (in caps, of course))

Reaper Man (This book stars Death, who is very very nice and sweet. Really. this one is probably one of the more emotional ones, as it features Death being mortal. Very very good, lots of funny bits about wizards, one of which was supposed to be dead, but due to Death being turned mortal, that hasn't happened)

Soul Music (Another one staring Death, as well as his granddaughter, Susan (summed up in the begining, trust me). This one is a great parody of music, rock especially.)

Wyrd Sisters (A parody of Macbeth, introduces the Witches as main characters.)

Er, those are the basics, really. *Gets off soapbox*

Anonymous

Hi, how are ya?

I'm Aethyr the local punk with a soon to be 2ft high mohawk. You can usually catch me when I'm at the diebraries and internet     ffet's. I mean, libraries and internet cafe's.

Other than that, I live at Target and sleep to the sound of drunks, crackheads, and other various lowlives in downtown San Diego.

I also enjoy sleep...which I haven't had a good night of in the past 5 months now and very quiet trolley rides. ^_^.

Happy posting!

Anonymous

Anonymous

Ah, cool.

I personally love Going Postal (Moist von lipwig has a simular view to me about the world) and Monster Regiment. Those books got me into Terry Prachetts world so to speak lol.
Although the Amazing Mourice and his educated Rodents is brilliant.

I have to admit his other books haven't attracted my attention, although I know about Rincewind via the games and The Last Hero picture book I have ^^
I think I'm vain as I believe it's the covers that have put me off, yet while browsing through my uncles book collection while dog sitting, Monster Regiment caught my attention because of the cover.
Yes, yes I know, I know don't judge a book by it's cover and maybe one day I'll get round to reading his other books.
Guards! Guards! is one I pictually would like to read due to Thud.

Aethyr, keep it real man.

Anonymous

Welcome fellow fan of Disworld! I'm not sure what my count is right now, but it must be pretty high.

Guards! Guards! is probably the best one to start off on, but I think his newer books just keep getting better. I actually like some of the one shot books that don't include many of the established characters. The Truth is probably my favourite, and I recently read The Wee Free Men, and it was excellent as well. Of course I'll always have a special place in my heart for Vimes, The Watch and Death.

Personally I love the covers, they're so odd and chaotic.

Anyway, welcome to SotE!

Anonymous

Why thank you. To be honest, the reason I recommended early ones is because I'm not that far into them yet. I will be changing this fact today, though. After reading about 12 in a row, i took a break to read A Clockwork Orange, and will probably alternate between a discworld book and something "high class" until I get into a college. The more I read, the better my chances...

Anyway, thanks very much^_^ ((I'll try to come up with a reply soon, but I'm having a little bit of trouble working out what she would actually say.))