Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Serendipity

Started by Rhindeer, June 24, 2010, 01:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Draconian"Adela and Serendipity probably balance one another out technology wise. They're bad at one, Adela's good with the other type of thing. Or is that too mary-sue for everyone?

Well, I'm gonna ask again then. What's the drawback for being magically dependent if Adela just balances them out? Do you not want there to be a downside to them using magic instead of technology?

Quote from: "Draconian"And good! I don't really like the idea of having the countries have set specific fashions.  At least not until I get to see them. Them as in the designs.

There are designs drawn up for everyone that I was going to scan and post, but with all the redesigning, it's made those designs not fit anymore. But calm down = You'll get to see the styles. And why wouldn't nations have their own specific styles and trends?

Quote from: "Talyafera"I think the in-depth technology classification business would go a lot smoother if we start it in a Connlaoth topic, since Connlaoth represents the absolute upper limit of development. Once we figure out exactly what Connlaoth has we can just subtract things until we reach Serendipity's and Adela's states of development.

See, I think the opposite. I think it would be easier to start at the bottom and work our way up. That way we don't subtract too much and Adela's got nothin'

Tally

Quote from: "Rina"
Quote from: "Draconian"Adela and Serendipity probably balance one another out technology wise. They're bad at one, Adela's good with the other type of thing. Or is that too mary-sue for everyone?

Well, I'm gonna ask again then. What's the drawback for being magically dependent if Adela just balances them out? Do you not want there to be a downside to them using magic instead of technology?

Rhi, Gold, Draco, and yourself have all posted examples of drawbacks to Serendipity's magic dependency. It has so many drawbacks at this point that any more will have it crumpling under it's own ineptitude. xD

Anonymous

All I've really seen is there is a black magic cult, which interesting is only sort of a draw back.

And that they lack the skills to do simple things without magic and have low technology.

And those skills and that tech is being really vague and no one besides Rhi has really given any actual to answer to what exactly that means for the nation. Are we going with the bad streets, poor medicine, bad sanitation, etc stuff? Or is Adela just going to be balancing them out, so they don't suffer from those problems?

Rhindeer

I think we should make a list of what we have for drawbacks so far because I know a lot of stuff was listed, but did we all actually agree with it? I think with all the posts we've been making, some of us may have forgotten the points we've already made and listed. xDD So I think we need to go back and collect it, post the list, and then see if we all agree with it. Yeah? :3

ALSO!

This is slightly off topic but still on topic, but I think a lot of the confusing is stemming from all of us inherently wanting to see different things.

So I think it'd be really, really helpful if each of us just posted a quick reply here saying what YOU would like to see in Serendipity. YOU PERSONALLY. What do you want out of it? What do you think would be cool? This has gotten chaotic so I think if we all just give a quick summary of what we want, personally, out of this setting, it may be a little easier for us to all understand each other and come to a compromise.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Me, personally, as a player in SotE, would really like to see some real depth in Serendipity. I want to see some grit and realism and darkness in a magic heavy world. Every fantasy book/game/movie has the magic using elves the good guys with no flaws.

I would like too see the bright, magical glamor of the nobles magic juxtaposed with what it's like for the lower classes. That it's not just some perfect paradise, but is still not some evil, horrible place. That the nobles are just so flightly and self absorbed and magic obsessed that they sometimes forget about the rest of the nation.

I want to see the problems a nation heavily dependent on magic faces. Is magic a corrupting influence? Does messing with the walls of reality on an every day bases make it harder for them to deal with the mundanes of life?

Mostly, I want a nation with layers and depth that makes people think when making characters. That gives you something to sink your teeth into.

Anonymous

I can tell you what I don't want to see because I actually liked Serendipity for what it was.

I liked Serendipity the way it was after it's first update. I've been here for nine years and I've actually enjoyed how the world was pretty simple because that gave the players more to do, most stuff to create instead of figuring out ways of jamming their characters into little cubbys and hoping they fit.

I still like how Serendipity was. It was a nice balance in the obvious of the three nations, to the genecide from Connlaoth and the brutes in Adela.

I'm not at all excited about giving Serendipity a dark side. It's Serendipity, it hasn't had one in nine years and I don't see why it has to have one now. Not to be stereotypical? That's B.S.  I can understand it having downfalls like poverty and all that jazz, but not a bunch of dark side stuff. THAT is a bit stereotypical. Y'know 'it's nice and bright, but on the inside...' type stuff.

Players can make that darkside themselves, they can make cults or they can have High Lords who don't like the shiny stuff. What I'd really like to see is having players involved in making the darkbits and pieces up of Serendipity instead of just saying "POOF! THERE IT IS AND IT IS EVIL!" so that it can evolve into a slowly darkening nation (which is what I assume you guys want) instead of just us deciding that it would make it more 'interesting' ( Which I don't really find it does, finding a way to currupt the shiny is far more interesting and fun than it just showing up after an update and then playing with it.)

Rhindeer

As a player, I would like to see Serendipity remain a liberal, eccentric, free-thinking, whimsical place--but I would like to see its human side, too.

Conflict is interesting--not even talking external conflict like wars, but internal conflict like social stuff--and it's something Serendipity has been sorely lacking. It lacks those conflicts and issues, and as a player...that doesn't inspire me to play there. I could play in La'marri and get that much.

I don't want Serendipity to lose its magic, but I don't want a utopia, either. I want a balanced nation where the people don't get along in perfect harmony, where there are class divides and classism as a result, and where there maybe is a little latent racism among nobles concerning their fae blood--like it could effect how "legitimate" they are. I also really liked the idea of deceptive nobles, though their rep is that they're all sweetness. x3 Not everyone has to play that, but it would be part of the setting info.

Where there are consequences to magic usage--perhaps all that tinkering with magic results in horrible consequences when it goes wrong, like a noble tinkering with the wrong magic, not knowing what they're doing, and hurting a lot of people. But they're nobility so there's a cover up. >_> Stuff like that in addition to the lower tech. All that messing with magic and experimenting is bound to backfire once in a while.

I liked the ideas brought up throughout this thread to give the place realism. x3 For me it's not about really giving it an OMG DARK SIDE. It's about giving it some humanity and depth and conflict. And for me, Serendipity has been pretty 2D, and I don't think fleshing it out limits players at all, especially considering how broad SotE's world is and how many free-for-all areas there are; it wouldn't be forcing people do do anything, but they could if they want--especially considering Serendipity's liberal outlook.

I don't see how adding social issues and definition would keep players from doing their own thing in a liberal setting. But it does add more background and atmosphere.

I also want to know more about the customs and culture unique to Serenians, to make them more of a distinct people.

I also don't believe acknowledging a nation's flaws and humanity and mistakes suddenly makes them EVIL AND BAD. It doesn't. No place is perfect, and it's not an issue of black and white, good and evil (both of which are unrealistic and which I don't like myself). It's about dealing in shades of gray.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Rhi kind of said what I wanted too but better xD I want to see more gray in Serendipity. I want to see the human side of things, and that it isn't just this utopia of goodness and light.

It's a good place, with good people, but that they still can have done some bad things. No where is perfect. So, just to clarify, I'm not saying I want some dark evil center under a facade of shinny goodness. I don't want good or evil or black or white. I want the stuff between.

Tally

I've got the list of drawbacks.

- Infested from inside with cultists who blend in with the normal populace of mages, festering like a tumor in their society, causing in no particular order: a reason for Connlaoth to take up arms against them; validity to Connlaoth's claim that magic is bad and thus increasing the likelihood of other nations turning against them, a constant threat to their children, their citizens, their leaders, their sense of security and safety, their social order, their pride, their image, and the very foundations of their own belief that magic is a blessing not a curse; the burden and difficulty of trying to hide these maniacs from the rest of the world while still trying to stamp them out because they cannot let the rest of the world know their lovely, socially advance society is dying from the inside out; and finally the looming possibility that should the cultists succeed, Le'raana will have a tyrannical, vile, demon-worshiping kingdom of dark mages to deal with.

- an over-reliance on magic, which has made them flippant, haughty, and disposed to extravagance and frivolity.  Which in turn has lead to...

- nobility that are either decent but out of touch with the middle and peasant classes, or entitled, deceitful back-stabbers.  That's when they're not conducting horribly irresponsible magical experiments that kill many people and then trying to cover it up to protect themselves. Which in turn has lead to...

- a disillusioned middle class futilely struggling against an impossible infrastructure.

- an apparently severe lag behind Connlaoth technologically, and as technology impacts every aspect of life Serendipity then suffers in every aspect of life.  Nothing will remain untouched by their technological retardation. Going by only the things mentioned in this thread, that includes poorer hygiene; primitive health care (thus leading to much disease and death because mage healers are still rare and expensive); horrid roads away from the cities, hindering transportation which in turn hinders trade which in turn results in poor economies, famine, and illiteracy and a general lack of education; a piss poor military when compared with Connlaoth and Adela due to primitive weaponry, in which their only strength is a handful of mages (which are far out-numbered by regular, non-mage troops); aaaand finally abandonment of all aesthetic values outside of the cities, making the towns, villages, and rural areas dreary and hideous.  (And bear in mind this is just what was brought up in the thread and doesn't include the copious amounts of absent technology we haven't even covered yet.)

- No access to iron. While falling under the encompassing umbrella of technology, this deserves special mention, as it effectively locks them in the bronze age while the rest of the world (probably even Adela, THE poster boy for lack of progress and adherence to tradition and the status quo) moves on.

That's all our drawbacks, unless I missed some.

...it seems like a wide awake nightmare for anyone but nobility or mages to live in.

Anonymous

= I'm really not asking they be absolutely retarded and miserable in all aspects of life. I'm saying I think they shouldn't have amazing technology all over the place. I suggested some possible things that could suffer in their country.

That was a really pretty snarky and over exaggerated reply. And I think that maybe what I want is a little too heavy on realism. I like history and I like the lives of normal people, so I like knowing more about that. I like seeing the harder side of things and getting to play around in it.

I guess I am not very good at expressing things. So, I think I am just gonna stop. I'm sorry I caused so much drama, I was just trying to push for something a little more realistic. I like realism in my fantasy, but not everyone does. This is supposed to be an escapism world for people, so I guess it doesn't need that harsher edge.

I'm just tired of me asking for things to not be perfect gets turned into EVIL UNDERBELLY, that they should have simplistic clothing to reflect a lesser tech means ugly potato sacks, that some lesser tech means they are going to collapse and die

Anonymous

I don't see where that came from. o_o Tally wasn't being snarky at all and I found it to be pretty cool and steady reply. The dark-mage part actually got me interested in something I was previously against and I can see it starting up a lot of neat stuff to give Serendipity that darker dip you guys want. We figuered out the problems and Tally listed them out. We still have the happy shinies and we can still change stuff.

Also, if you weren't asking for that then why do you keep asking for drawbacks? That's what we all came up with after you demanded them.

I also hate to point out but this isn't about what you want. = That's a little selfish. You ask for all these things and when Tally writes what we've gotten you get insulted and say 'no that's not really what I was after.'

Maybe YOU should come up with some stuff besides 'bad roads', then, Rina. 'bad roads' doesn't exactly tell us much about it.

Rhindeer

Okay, guys.

Can we handle this brainstorming thing like adults or should I just nix this section of the staff forum and go back to how it used to be, with us consulting on MSN? :

Serious question. I'm not trying to give ultimatums, I just want to know if we can, or can't, handle this.

Anonymous

Well, I like it here. The rest of us don't really get involved with it over MSN, since you, Rina and Tally tend to do everything.

Edit: dunno about being 'adult' enough. P: But that's your call.

Rhindeer

Draco, how many times have I asked your opinion/feedback about something and you said you didn't have any ideas?

More times than I can count.

How many times have you come to me saying you would like to add something to an area? The people who developed stuff in the past had ideas and they came to me with their ideas asking if they could develop things. And I said yes. I've asked you before in the past, even recently when we had that long chat. You've never come to me yourself. So don't even pull that card.

And you're totally free to go reply to any of the topics here, or start topics, if you would like to develop something.

But that's neither here nor there.

If we can get through this without being catty, snarky children, then I'm happy to keep this. But that's on everyone.

Anonymous

That's not what I mean. XD What I meant was THIS is easier for everyone. It's easier to throw ideas up here than it is on MSN where you might be away or doing something and not paying attention or something. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you don't listen on MSN or whatever. x3

Anyway, I think this being here is good. P:

Rhindeer

Okay. xD;; I thought that's what you were saying. Sorry for misinterpreting!

But yeah, that's why I wanted to have it here, so everyone could be involved and a record of discussions was kept here so we didn't forget anything or leave anything out.

I think I'm gonna restart this topic with a new format. ^^; Let's try again, guys, but let's try and be less snarky and more civil, okay?