Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

How are we defining fae?

Started by Rhindeer, August 21, 2010, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

The Changeling topic also got me to thinking about this: how are we defining the fae in Serendipity? I think it's important to have a clear vision because this will impact Serendipity. ^^

For me, fae are creatures that are neither good nor bad. Some (like the seelie) are more inclined to do good while others (unseelie) are more inclined to do bad, but they're still neither wholly good nor wholly evil. They are as a whole flighty and mischievous, but the difference is that seelie are more prone to be beneficial and helpful; they warn when an accidental offense is committed, they aid people, they ask for help, and they choose to help before they harm. However, they are also selfish, easily bored, and seek to avenge insults, and their version of "helping" may not always be what one was looking for. xD If angry enough, they may outright hurt people in vengeance.

Unseelie, on the other hand, will choose to harm before they help, if they have a choice between the two. They don't really care much for humans, and when they do cause harm, it's downright malicious--such as what púca/pooka do. They're not entirely bad and malicious, though, and may help at a price. But mostly, they enjoy inconveniencing people, assaulting them, and driving them off.

Both types may be responsible for changelings, either as pranks or acts of vengeance, though unseelie are more likely to make the swap.

My personal interpretation! xD And I like the idea that Serenians could be descended from either.

But yeah! Thoughts?
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

What about the subsections of fae? Salamanders, Goblins/Gnomes, Undines, and Sylphs? And are they allied with the Dryads and the Satyrs and the forest folk? Is good questions, I think we need some definitions on them as well. Do we want just like...Tolkein style order of Fae where there are only like one kind, or do we want Shakespeare Order where you have Kings, Queens, Lessers, Satyrs and just regular Fae? And so on and so forth.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shizzy"What about the subsections of fae? Salamanders, Goblins/Gnomes, Undines, and Sylphs? And are they allied with the Dryads and the Satyrs and the forest folk? Is good questions, I think we need some definitions on them as well. Do we want just like...Tolkein style order of Fae where there are only like one kind, or do we want Shakespeare Order where you have Kings, Queens, Lessers, Satyrs and just regular Fae? And so on and so forth.

I don't think we need to be that specific at all. That I think would be really limiting for people. I think having Seelie and Unseelie is more than enough of a distinction. The "subsections" as you call them are still /fae/. They still fall into Unseelie or Seelie, it's just left up to the player of the fae which one they fall into.

And I really like Rhi's definitions of them. Works for me.

Anonymous

You might be right there Rina! I never did think about it that way as it was almost one in the morning when I wrote this xD

Rhindeer

Yeah, agreed! ^^ I figure some basic definition so we're all on the same page, but after that just let people decide from there!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa