Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost and found again. [Tally-poo!]

Started by Rhindeer, November 05, 2009, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Because if yer gettin' somethin' outta this, I wanna get somethin' outta it, too," Demaht answered simply.

She placed a hand on her hip and shifted her weight to accentuate her curves. "Ya know how long I've been in that thing? That necklace? Yeah, ya don't, and neither do I, and I don't wanna know! A long damned time, though. Twenty years. A hundred. More. That's a long time to go without seein' another soul." Her smile softened a little and she played with a strand of fiery hair, eyes lowering. Once again, she tried to make herself seem vulnerable. He seemed to respond better to that.

"Then I wake up to ya. Yer cute. Got a pretty face, nice lips. Wouldn't mind feelin' 'em on mine, feelin' a little wanted after bein' abandoned. So there ya have it. Ya want somethin' from me, and I want somethin' from you, so as far's I'm concerned, it's a fair bargain."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Gospel's wings smoothed back down into their usual featureless curves of light.  To bide so long in captivity struck him as a torment worse than dying.  He sighed out a breath and with it departed much of his frustration and agitation.

"I'm sorry, my lady.  I feel I dealt with this all too poorly."  He offered his arm to her.  "We won't go and find the merchant.  Why don't you return to the palace with me and we'll find out what we can do about this?"

Rhindeer

"Palace?" Demaht perked up, and in a flash she had gone from vulnerable to intrigued. She had gotten what she wanted--most of it, at least. Maybe not the kiss she'd wanted, but she'd gotten him to drop the whole merchant business and that, in itself, was a victory.

Battle first, war later. The war was a much longer game.

"Ya live in a palace? Say, where are we, anyhow? Ya some sorta warrior prince?" Because dear her, if he was important enough to live in a palace, she counted herself as doubly lucky.

Palaces were very much her style.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Gospel got a good laugh out of that.  "Gods above, no!"

He cleared his throat and reined in his merriment, lest she think he was laughing at her ignorance.  Truly it was merely the thought of himself being a prince that amused him so.  "No, I am a soldier in Her Majesty's palace guard.  I live in the barracks there.  This is the kingdom of Serendipity.  We are in her capital, Arca."

Rhindeer

For a moment, Demaht deflated. Barracks. Ugh! Sure, she could magic up a nice bed, a wonderful palace, even, and sure she didn't even need to sleep, but that was beside the point! Sometimes, it was just nice not having to do everything herself!

But then she perked up again, because if Gospel wasn't an important man like a prince, if he was just a lowly soldier...

Well, those types were easier to handle. People who came from little, who didn't already have everything, wanted more and were easier to influence. This one, however, was being remarkably stubborn and--wait. Did he say Arca, Serendipity?

Demaht's smile brightened like the sun and she grabbed Gospel by the front of his uniform with both hands. "Arca, ya said? Serendipity? Oh, thank me!" she gushed, eyes lighting up. She could have kissed him then, but she didn't, because she wanted him to be the one to do it. Instead, she just hugged him tightly. "It still exists!"

Tally

Gospel stood rod-straight in her arms.  After all that business with kissing he didn't want to give her any indication of interest.  He didn't trust even the hug.

"Yes, Arca thrives."  He broke the hug while touching her as little as possible.  "Who ruled here when you last walked the city?"

Rhindeer

"Oh, jus' some woman," Demaht said with a dismissive wave. "Had a big, magical spear or somethin'. But who cares about that? Point is, it ain't been too long since I been in that necklace if this place is still here!"

Tally

She couldn't mean...no.  No, that was too outlandish and, well, too amazing to consider.  Gospel put it out of his mind, lest she distract him from what they really needed to do.

What followed their arrival at the barracks was a march of disappointments.  No court mage capable of dealing with a djinn was available for him just then, so it would have to wait.  Possibly for days.  She couldn't stay with them all in the barracks, so he was going to have to pay for inn rooms for them both.  And, lastly and worst of all, the captain ordered him off duty until they could sever the djinn from him.

When it was all over, Gospel sagged back against the wall surrounding the palace, utterly deflated.

Rhindeer

"So!" Demaht said with a chipper smile, leaning back against the wall right next to him, and feeling quite smug about the entire situation. Humans. This entire thing had a painfully simple solution, but none of them had the brains to think of it. It was both hilarious and fortunate. Human stupidity suited her purpose well.

Not a one of them had thought to ask her about all this.

"Looks like we're gonna be stuck together a while, eh?"

Tally

Gospel had very little life left in him after all that.  He wasn't sure he was going to have the will to move himself from this wall.

"Unless you know a way to extricate myself from you, yes," he said numbly.

Rhindeer

"Hmm, how terribly unfortunate," Demaht said, and because he hadn't asked her directly, she was under no obligation to tell him. "Welp! Might as well make th' most of it!"

She sidled on up to him and hooked an arm around his shoulders, pressing in close to him and leaning to bring her lips close to his ear. "Whatcha do fer fun 'round here, eh?"

Tally

He jutted out an elbow to try and force distance between their bodies.  "Let go of me."

It came out angrier than he'd intended, and he nearly winced.  The frustration must be getting to him.  He couldn't use it as a weapon against other people.

Rhindeer

Demaht pouted, and held on tighter. "Ya don't gotta be mean," she huffed. "Say it nice-like."

Tally

Gospel gritted his teeth.  He found himself doing that a lot around her.  He held patience as one of his defining virtues.  That she dismantled it so easily spoke ill of him and not her.

It took a deliberate effort to dull his words into politeness.  "Let go, please."

Rhindeer

She didn't have to listen to him. He hadn't wished it, after all. But for all her pushiness, she wasn't oblivious; she knew she was walking a fine line and that if she annoyed him too much, he could just toss the necklace away and be done. Or wish her into obedience, if he was smart enough to figure that out, which she didn't think he was. He was a pushover, as far as she could tell, but even pushovers had breaking points.

Besides, she'd won this battle--gotten him to change his tone--so she could concede a little, reward him for good behavior.

With another sigh, Demaht let go. "Aww, but yer jus' so warm," she said, and rubbed her arms and faked a shiver. "It's so much colder here! And as ya can see, I ain't wearin' much."

The predatory smile she flashed him said she very much hoped he noticed just how much skin she was showing.